King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia's Marriage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I belive Queen Sofia’s view on marriage is very ”old school” and that she is simply a production of her generation and regards divorces as ”something you shouldn’t do regardless of what your husband does to you”

It is sad really but what else could there be the reason for her not leaving him, and finding a man who would treat her with respect ?

She knew there was no chance she could ”win” a legal custody fight about the children… Maybe about Elena and Cristina but no way she would be getting custody of Felipe.

And they both had a lot to loose on a divorce… JC may not even had been allowed tp succeed Franco then… And by seeing how successfully he has managed to bully and threat all his mistress’ into silence over the years, with a lot of help from the spanish authorities, Queen Sofia would probably have got an even bigger hell then….

I meant those marriages whore are really long with 60+ years. There have been many with big downs like the late Count and Countess of Paris, Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard, King Albert II. and Queen Paola, the Count and Countess of Barcelona etc. Compared to those the marriages of Beatrix and Claus and of Baudouin and Fabiola have been short (which they of course they were not)
Albert and Paola reconciled 40 years ago or more, and have had a happy marriage by all accounts since then, so a bit different from the other couples you mention, I think

Perhaps it was performative, but from the photos I have seen, Juan Carlos seemed quite smitten on his wedding day.
I've read the opposite about the wedding. Sofia was very upset and in tears during the ceremony, and he didn't even look at her. Irene got up at some point to comfort her and hand her a tissue.

I belive Queen Sofia’s view on marriage is very ”old school” and that she is simply a production of her generation and regards divorces as ”something you shouldn’t do regardless of what your husband does to you”

It is sad really but what else could there be the reason for her not leaving him, and finding a man who would treat her with respect ?

She knew there was no chance she could ”win” a legal custody fight about the children… Maybe about Elena and Cristina but no way she would be getting custody of Felipe.

And they both had a lot to loose on a divorce… JC may not even had been allowed tp succeed Franco then… And by seeing how successfully he has managed to bully and threat all his mistress’ into silence over the years, with a lot of help from the spanish authorities, Queen Sofia would probably have got an even bigger hell then….
I believe it is still true today - what would a divorced consort gain? Of course housing and enough money to have a carefree life but no role, constant attention of the press - almost impossible for CP/Monarch couple to divorce with kids still being minors, still difficult with adult kids. As in Sofias case - society was different back then - even today, it would be the consort who loses out on almost everything, not the born royal. Apart from the time they have devoted and invitest, they lose role, circle of friends, children are torn, wont get privacy back - my point is, even today, with cheating frowned upon by society, I would think not once but many, many times before pulling the plug if I was the consort in a royal marriage.

Back
Top Bottom