King George I (1845-1913) and Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna of Russia (1851-1926)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince William of Denmark was elected King of the Hellenes. How did he choose George for his regnal name?

I assume he choose Georgios as his regnal name ,George is the English version.

Prince William of Denmark was elected King of the Hellenes. How did he choose George for his regnal name?
Christian Wilhelm Ferdinand Adolf Georg.

"Georg" was the only name he had which translated to Greek at all well. "King Christianos" may not have sounded right to the Greeks?

Isn't Saint George a Patron Saint of Greece?

Photo of King George I (1863).
King_George_I_of_Greece_Southwell_Bros.jpg

Christian Wilhelm Ferdinand Adolf Georg.

"Georg" was the only name he had which translated to Greek at all well. "King Christianos" may not have sounded right to the Greeks?
Non in Greece you could not be called Christianos because it means litteraly Christian (the religion) Nobody can be called like this... it would be considered a blaspheme, especially 150 years ago. Imagine you are called Catholic as a 1st name. Impossible
Yes it was convenient to marry the daughter of a Constantine... it is a sacred name for a Greek as it was the name of Byzance's last emperor
And he named his 1st son Constantine.
But since he married a Russian orthodox...it was very possible to have a Constantine around in the family.

As for George...also a sacred name...St George being a great Saint and protector.
Overall King George the 1st.. did everything perfectly correct ...
Except going out for a walk to Thessaloniki this day alone with only one guard... the rest is history.

Non in Greece you could not be called Christianos because it means litteraly Christian (the religion) Nobody can be called like this... it would be considered a blaspheme, especially 150 years ago. Imagine you are called Catholic as a 1st name. Impossible
Yes it was convenient to marry the daughter of a Constantine... it is a sacred name for a Greek as it was the name of Byzance's last emperor
And he named his 1st son Constantine.
But since he married a Russian orthodox...it was very possible to have a Constantine around in the family.

As for George...also a sacred name...St George being a great Saint and protector.
Overall King George the 1st.. did everything perfectly correct ...
Except going out for a walk to Thessaloniki this day alone with only one guard... the rest is history.
That just brought to mind the first and last Byzantine emperors' name and the last king of Greece's name was Constatine. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom