King Charles & Queen Camilla - Visit to Australia and Samoa: October 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Naturally life carries on even when there are famous visitors to the country! But it is interesting to see the various ways the visit has touched some Australians. A colleague and I were chatting and he said that his wife, and her friends threw a Royal Brunch Birthday Party! My niece's Year 5 class (she's the teacher) have been studying the role of the British monarchy and its connection to Australia. They have followed the royal visit daily and had a class party to "farewell" the King and Queen! :)
It looked like a really lovely time to visit Australia ,not too hot but still plenty of beautiful sunshine.
Thanks to all our members down under for the updates and thoughts!

It's most interesting to read the comments about Australia retaining the monarchy or becoming a republic. Thanks for that. No one mentioned, no one left out.
Not being an Australian, I don't have an opinion whether Australia should become a republic or not.

I do however find the behavior of the PMs unprofessional.
Australia is still a monarchy and as such King Charles is still the Head of State - on top of that he is an honored guest.

The politicians can be republicans all they want and argue their points all day long, that's fair enough IMO. But when the show is on, they have a public role to play as a part of their office. So refusing to meet with King Charles is unprofessional, it's insulting to both King Charles as a guest as well as the nation he de facto represents (which is predominantly the UK). It's disrespectful to the Australian monarchists as well as the democracy. As long as Australia has not abolished the monarchy by democratic means, they just have to accept the fact that Australia is a monarchy or they should not have accepted the office they hold.
What is even worse, I dare say, is that it is stupid behavior. Such behavior reduce support for their cause rather than increase support. They are pandering to their extreme voters, rather than trying to win over more by acting professional like statesmen.

If they truly cannot bear to be in the same room or shake hands with King Charles, a man who is merely a representative like themselves, then they should step down from that office. They forget that as elected PMs they also represent those who did not vote for them.

King Charles III and Queen Camilla arrive in Samoa ahead of The Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.

Why does he feel the need to comment on his majesty's visit to one of his realms? Do the prime ministers of other realms also have public opinions about this visit and at other times about how he goes about his engagements in the UK?
If he was asked a question he needed to respond without any comment regarding the senator. A tactful response, I would have thought.

It looked like a really lovely time to visit Australia ,not too hot but still plenty of beautiful sunshine.
Thanks to all our members down under for the updates and thoughts!
Yes, can I just echo @An Ard Ri 's sentiments and say many thanks for the updates and insight. Much appreciated! :flowers:

Yes, can I just echo @An Ard Ri 's sentiments and say many thanks for the updates and insight. Much appreciated! :flowers:
I have to say I got a very positive vibe overall from the visit and bar the incidents here and there from protesters it went very smoothly.
We are very lucky here to have had boots on the ground for the visit and explained who's who to us up here in the Northern Hemisphere.

Back
Top Bottom