King Abdullah and Queen Rania Current Events 1: September 2003-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"AFP) - Jordan's Queen Rania arrived in quake-struck Bam, delivering another consignment of relief aid and urging a long-term international commitment to this devastated city in southeast Iran.
"We try to help our brothers in Iran as much as we can," the queen told reporters as she toured a Jordanian army field hospital in Bam, struck by a massive quake on December 26 that killed up to 35,000 people.

"This human crisis does not recognise politics or boundaries. There has been great devastation, and when I talk to people I hear of how they have lost a great number of their relatives."
Dressed in a long, light beige coat and wearing a pale-blue shawl over her head, in keeping with the rules of the Islamic republic, the queen spent time speaking to quake survivors who have been treated by the Jordanian team here.

Mohammad Trawaneh, a colonel and doctor in Jordan's armed forces, said his team has so far treated 4,000 survivors. But the queen said donors needed to keep up the momentum of what has been a massive international relief effort.
"There should be a long-term presence to rebuild the lives and homes of these people," she said. "Inshallah (God willing), there should be a long-term presence of NGOs".

The queen was also lined up to see the remains of the ancient citadel of Bam -- considered one of the architectural jewels of world heritage -- that was wrecked in the quake, which measured a massive 6.7 on the Richter scale.
A C-130 Jordanian armed forces plane accompanied the queen's flight to Bam, transporting 20 tonnes of relief aid including medical supplies, tents, blankets and heaters for the tens of thousands of people left homeless.

The consignment was the fifth to be sent from Jordan.

Scheduled to head home Wednesday was a rescue team from the Jordanian civil defence service. Team leader Major Monzer Mohammad said his crew had only managed to recover eight dead bodies.

According to latest figures from the United Nations, around 30,000 people were killed and a further 30,000 injured in the quake.

With some 85 percent of buildings destroyed, 45,000 people have been left homeless, a figure expected to rise to 75,000 when affected people return from stays with family outside Bam or from medical treatment in other towns.

On Thursday, the United Nations is scheduled to launch a multi-million-dollar flash appeal to help fund reconstruction and relief efforts in Bam.

The UN's Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said donor countries had already pledged 74.8 million dollars (59 million euros) in cash and kind, but has not yet specified how much would be sought in the new appeal.

Iran remained on high alert for more quakes Wednesday, with authorities in the southwestern province of Khuzestan deciding to shut schools until further notice after a series of 14 tremors shook the area in the space of just 24 hours.

An education official in the oil and gas centre of Masjed Soleiman, Behrouz Farhadian, told the state news agency IRNA that the measure was taken "to ease the worries of local families".

According to the Geophysics Institute at Tehran University, a series of 14 quakes measuring between 2.7 and 4.9 on the Richter scale hit the area of Masjed Soleiman and the nearby town of Izeh -- 450 kilometres (280 miles) southwest of Tehran in Khuzestan province -- on Tuesday.

The institute said that another quake measuring 4.6 on the Richter scale -- enough to make homes wobble -- jolted the area early Wednesday at 7:48 am (0418 GMT).

A number of villages reportedly suffered damage on Tuesday, but there have been no immediate reports of casualties."

Queen Rania visits victims of the Bam earthquake in Iran

From Getty:

Attachments

• 2849291.jpg
    2849291.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 2854768.jpg
    2854768.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 335
  • 2849516.jpg
    2849516.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 400
  • 2849318.jpg
    2849318.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 2849297.jpg
    2849297.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited by a moderator:
  1. IBL - 7 January 2004 - Queen Rania with Iranian Presidential Advisor Shayesteh Amiri and Prince Rashed bin Al Hassan, president of the Jordan Hashemite Charity Organization, touring the devastated city of Bam. Jordan was among the first group of countries that rushed to aid the quake stricken area.
  2. IBL - 7 January 2004 - Queen Rania at the Federation of the Red Cross and Crescent Hospitals, touring the devastated city of Bam. Jordan was among the first group of countries that rushed to aid the quake stricken area.
  3. IBL - 7 January 2004 - Queen Rania at the Federation of the Red Cross and Crescent Hospitals, touring the devastated city of Bam. Jordan was among the first group of countries that rushed to aid the quake stricken area.
  4. IBL - 7 January 2004 - Queen Rania at the Federation of the Red Cross and Crescent Hospitals, touring the devastated city of Bam. Jordan was among the first group of countries that rushed to aid the quake stricken area.
  5. IBL - 7 January 2004 - Queen Rania talking to survivors at the Jordanian Field Hospital after the earthquake in Bam, Iran.
  6. IBL - 7 January 2004 - Queen Rania talking to survivors at the Jordanian Field Hospital after the earthquake in Bam, Iran
  7. IBL - 7 January 2004 - Iranian Presidential Advisor Shayesteh Amiri thanking Jordanian efforts as she sees off Queen Rania at Bam airport.
  8. IBL - 7 January 2004 - Queen Rania visiting the city of Bam in Iran after the earthquake.
  9. IBL - 7 January 2004 - Queen Rania visiting the city of Bam in Iran after the earthquake.

Attachments

• rania_bam.jpg
    rania_bam.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 616
  • rania_bam_2.jpg
    rania_bam_2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 514
  • rania_bam_2z.jpg
    rania_bam_2z.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 586
  • rania_bam_3.jpg
    rania_bam_3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 619
  • rania_bam_4.jpg
    rania_bam_4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 674
  • rania_bam_4a.jpg
    rania_bam_4a.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 562
  • rania.jpg
    rania.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 678
  • bam.jpg
    bam.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 591
  • bam_2.jpg
    bam_2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 694
Queen Rania visiting the city of Bam in Iran after the earthquake.

Attachments

• 2854700.jpg
    2854700.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 2854781.jpg
    2854781.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 268
January 15, 2004 - Arbour day
new photos of the King and Queen from Petra

Most attractive women of 2003

8th – Queen Rania of Jordan (2.8%)

King Abdullah's elegant wife continues to work tirelessly for children's welfare, both at home in Jordan and internationally

I love this picture :flower:

Attachments

• queenrania.jpg
    queenrania.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,315
American Station VH1 in its program: Wealthiest people in 2003 talked about a hotel where a night there costs $ 30000 & added that Queen Rania was in that hotel...So imagine $30000/night....don't know how much she stayed...

Originally posted by Humble@Jan 17th, 2004 - 12:00 am
American Station VH1 in its program: Wealthiest people in 2003 talked about a hotel where a night there costs $ 30000 & added that Queen Rania was in that hotel...So imagine $30000/night....don't know how much she stayed...
What would you get for $30,000 a night?! :blink: The room service must be super fresh and the pillows extra fluffy!

Originally posted by Humble@Jan 17th, 2004 - 12:00 am
that is a bit of a ridiculous price for one night, i wonder what hotel it is ...

Rania Says Development Demands Citizens’ Informed Engagement

Maha Akeel, Arab News

JEDDAH, 19 January 2004 — Jordan’s Queen Rania yesterday highlighted the private sector’s social responsibility in promoting growth and prosperity.

She was speaking on the link between a conscientious private sector and prosperity on Day 2 of the Jeddah Economic Forum.

In her afternoon keynote address, Queen Rania pointed out that at the beginning of this century, much of the region was struggling with outdated notions which have become barriers to growth.

She also looked at how Jordan has been able to become one of the Arab world’s success stories despite having so few natural resources. Its only real resources are its people.

“All of our governments have work to do in becoming more open and transparent. We must develop the means for receiving and acting on popular concerns and suggestions,” she said. Her focus was on what people can do; she fears that instead of creating a culture of participation, a culture of expectation has been created.

Queen Rania said if nations wanted to thrive in a knowledge-based economy, they must begin with the premise that the best way to acquire knowledge is to share it openly. “Our fellow citizens are the shareholders of the future we hope to build and we need their informed engagement, constructive criticism and strong support.”

Though she believes that privatization is the way to develop an economy, she accepted that despite its benefits, the Jordanian public is still suspicious. The reason, she said, was that the private sector had not done enough to convince the public of the advantages of privatization. But likewise, “skepticism of government intentions is a worldwide phenomenon,” she said.

Queen Rania went on to say that that was why the private sector should not depend on the government to raise public awareness and inform the public. “It’s only with the organized support of independent civic groups that governments can get enough public support to make difficult reforms a genuine reality.”

She said people naturally trusted NGOs more than governments. “That is why I urge you to measure your business strength and success not only by your profit margin but also by your power of persuasion. Channel that power not only upward but throughout society. In practical terms, this means three things: Organization, organization, organization.”

The queen emphasized that governments in the region must find a way to reach out to the public, to listen to its concerns, to answer its questions and to empower it with the information needed to see problems and solutions more clearly.

“Our region can reach beyond the limits of what is to what could be. Your power of persuasion can help light the path to a brighter future for us all,” the queen added.

Attachments

• rania19_.jpg
    rania19_.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 510
Jeddah Economic Forum, January 18, 2004

1-6. Jeddah Economic Forum, January 18, 2004

7. Queen Rania of Jordan posing for a picture with Jordanian women living in Saudi Arabia.

8. Queen Rania of Jordan speaking with Jordanian women living in Saudi Arabia January 18, 2004 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Attachments

• 2880492.jpg
    2880492.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 2880704.jpg
    2880704.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 2880720.jpg
    2880720.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 506
  • 2880688.jpg
    2880688.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 2879010.jpg
    2879010.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 542
  • 2880468.jpg
    2880468.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 2880722.jpg
    2880722.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 441
  • 2880466.jpg
    2880466.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 269
This is interesting. Was the reason the women did not have to be covered because they were inside the Jordanian embassy, or just because they were not on the street? And do women normally speak in SA in front of groups of men as Q Rania did?

Originally posted by Bubbette@Jan 19th, 2004 - 1:34 pm
This is interesting. Was the reason the women did not have to be covered because they were inside the Jordanian embassy, or just because they were not on the street? And do women normally speak in SA in front of groups of men as Q Rania did?
Inside the embassy. Perhaps. Same reasoning behind why Victoria was covered. Swedish Embassy. Also as a foreign, non-Muslim woman she's not expected per se. Just be mindful. Don't go overboard as it were. Not only did Rania spoke but others did as well. I think it would depend on the men and the situation. I mean I don't know if women would be allowed to speak at a conference for imans. Probably not.

It's because they were inside that they didn't have to be covered, it's only in public places taht you have to be covered and if you are foreign it doesn't really apply, you just have to wear modest clothing. Though of course if you are a visiting royal then it is gracious to do as they do, but why inside the embassy when its jordanian territory? And all the other women aren't (ecept the one who really is, i mean she wears it all the time) so it is a bit odd. Plus its a funny looking hijab, it seems to have a button to hold it together, hy doesn't she just drape it or use pins like evryone else at least that way it would cover her neck aswell (like hijabs are meant to)!!

it is an odd-looking hijab...reminds me of one of the characters in lord of the rings...one of elves... :p

i think she looked better with a regular hijab or at least a scarf like the one she wore to iran

I think it is a long rectangular scarf that she has pinned under her chin and the ends are then flowing back over her shoulders........possibly.
In the last 2 pictures the scarf is arranged at her neck differently.

I don't understand why she just doesn't wear it as other women also Alia.

Yeah, I thought it was neat the way it was near the neck. I hadn't noticed one like that before.

I saw pictures of queen rania in Mecca in petra, she is doing the holy pilgremage and she was covered from head to toe, she looked nice**

This was in a caption about Crown Princess Victoria:

Despite the leading role granted to women at the forum, they were segregated from men in the conference hall behind dividing screens according to the traditions of the Saudi kingdom, and the women participating in the gathering attended their own gala dinner separate from the men.

Queen rania: Monday 19th January

Attachments

• queen_rania1.jpg
    queen_rania1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,273
  • queen_rania2.jpg
    queen_rania2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,237
  • queenrania2.jpg
    queenrania2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,252
MECCA, SAUDI ARABIA: Queen Rania al-Abdullah of Jordan performs the Umrah (lesser pilgrimage) in Mecca 19 January 2004. The Queen returned to Amman after taking part in the Jeddah Economic Forum that included for the first sessions dedicated to women.

Attachments

• dd.JPG
    dd.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,343
  • s.JPG
    s.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,119
  • f.JPG
    f.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,486
Why she is without makeup? Well,gourges in the same why :lol: :lol: :lol:

well, this is Umrah you know so i don't think that she should be focused on make-up...i like the fact that she put her focus on what's at hand and not on her image.

I'm sorry but i have to confess that i am not very good in this matter.
Some1 can tell me what is the Umrah or tell me a place when have good informaition.? :lol: :lol: :lol:

well umrah is basically like hajj - the holy pilgramage to Mecca in saudi arabia. the difference between umrah and hajj is that umrah can be performed at anytime during the year while hajj is performed at a specific time (i think it will be performed around the end of january this year)...

i don't know a good website but this one's okay...you can find some links on hajj

http://www.musalman.com/hajj/

but basically, you have to do several rituals like circle the Ka'aba, run between Safwa and Marwa, drink Zam Zam water, etc.

it's really nice to do it - for muslims anyway - and it has great spirital merit in Islam. so it's nice that rania upheld that and focused on what was on hand rather than her image.

I love all the Umrah pictures!
Rania looks the prettiest when she's modest

January 28 from Petra:

King Lays the Foundation stone of Queen Rania Center for the Physically Challenged Military Personnel

Amman, Jan. 28(Petra)--His Majesty King Abdullah II laid, in the presence of Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah, the foundation stone of Queen Rania Al Abdullah Center for the Physically Challenged Military Personnel, At Al Jandaweel District in Amman. The center, which will be one of the facilities run by the Hashemite Charity Organization, was initiated, an will be funded through a donation by His Majesty the King.
The King made the donation to establish the center to provide services to the injured people in recognition of their efforts to protect the homeland. His Majesty was briefed by HRH Prince Mer'd bin Raad, the president of the organization, on the center's facilities and services, noting that the center will serve more than 1275 persons. The ceremony was attended by President of the Senate, His Royal Highness Prince Raad Bin Zeid and a number of civil and military officials.
The Hashemite Charity Organization which was established in 1997, is the first of its kind in the Arab world. It is a non-governmental organization that depends on donations to continue providing services to the physically challenged military personnel from the Armed Forces, the Public Security, Civil Defense, the and the General Intelligence. The center which will be build on an area of six dunums, will encompass vocational training facility designed to pre-qualify physically challenged people in various professions. It will include administrative sections, a library, a computer lab. stores, playground, bedrooms, a pool for physical therapy and car parks.

January 28 from Petra:

Attachments

• Jan_28______________________231.jpeg
    Jan_28______________________231.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 616
  • Jan_28______________________232.jpeg
    Jan_28______________________232.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 673
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back