Jewels worn by Members of the Spanish Royal Family 1: Ending Jun 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting article about the jewels stolen from Infanta Alicia de Bourbon,Princess von Schönburg-Waldenburg,daughter of the Duke of Madrid:

Royal Musings: Princess Alice's jewels are stolen

Royal Musings: More on Princess Alice's stolen necklace

It seems she was in possession of the famous necklace designed for Queen Marie Antoinette which she refused to have and which caused a great scandal due to interfering of Prince de Rohan and Jeann de la Motte-Valois...

Anyone knows how these jewels ended with her since Marie Antoinette refused to buy it or have it?

Last edited:
I often wonder if there are jewels in the Borbón vaults that we have not seen in a very long time,that are perhaps not to Queen Sofia's taste?

I've been thinking about the jewels inherited by Queen Ena's children. I know that two of her sons predeceased her, Infanta Beatriz inherited the aquamarine parure and the emerald set, Infanta Maria Cristina inherited the Cartier Pearl and Diamond tiara, Infante Juan inherited the Fleur de Lys Tiara, the Diamond & Pearl Loop Tiara and the Mellerio Shell Tiara, and I have no idea what Infante Jaime inherited.

What else did Infanta Maria Cristina inherit? Surely it would have been more than just the one tiara if Infanta Beatriz inherited both the aquamarines and emeralds. Maybe some of Queen Ena's pearl necklaces and diamond rivieres that would be harder to identify?

I didn't know the emeralds were sold except for the cross pendant sold by Queen Ena. I thought that the the rest belonged to Infanta Beatriz's daughters. Oh, this has ruined my whole day!

Queen Ena wearing her emeralds

I love emeralds and I really wish that they still belonged to the SRF.

Last edited:
I didn't know the emeralds were sold except for the cross pendant sold by Queen Ena. I thought that the the rest belonged to Infanta Beatriz's daughters. Oh, this has ruined my whole day!

Queen Ena wearing her emeralds

I love emeralds and I really wish that they still belonged to the SRF.

I dug my copy of 'Queen's Jewels' by Vincent Meylan

The Emeralds were inherited by Queen Victoria Eugenia in 1920 upon the death of her godmother,The Empress Eugenie of France.However the emeralds were sold off during her exile!

The book also states that Infante Jaime,Duke of Segovia inherited a diamond necklace that belonged to Isabel II.In 1977 his widow put it up for sale & it was aquired by the Spanish Royal Family.

Queen Victoria Eugenia also had another Cartier diamond loop Tiara which was also sold off.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b6/0d/42/b60d42569b78aac194059c8ad8deaab8.jpg

The Queen's Diamond Cartier Coronet was also I'm assuming sold off,it was worn for The State opening of the Cortes by Queen Victoria Eugenia and other formal Court Occassions.

http://cdn.royalcollection.org.uk/cdn/farfuture/78bnHDRETrWoIX2kPMWmazh9Oyn5JhEeKE8IWTAS-60/mtime:1392940637/sites/royalcollection.org.uk/files/collection-online/a/6/2807076/7033d08dcd44457989ebb72aee33e9b8.jpg

Will we see Infanta Christina wearing a tiara perhaps out of Spain ?

Will we see Infanta Christina wearing a tiara perhaps out of Spain ?

Not for a very long time I'd imagine,plus she doesn't own one herself and was always loaned one by her mother,Queen Sofia.

Queen Victoria Eugenia wearing the Strawberry Leaf Tiara,not sure what happened to this I believe it belonged to Victoria Eugenia's mother, Princess Beatrice.

http://i46.tinypic.com/28tko7a.jpg

I believe that this tiara was bequeathed to Princess Beatrice's eldest son - the Marquess if Carisbrooke and then from there who knows? His wife - the Marchioness of Carisbrooke wore it to the Queen's Coronation in 1953.

I believe that this tiara was bequeathed to Princess Beatrice's eldest son - the Marquess if Carisbrooke and then from there who knows? His wife - the Marchioness of Carisbrooke wore it to the Queen's Coronation in 1953.

Many thanks its a very beautiful & impressive tiara!

I've been working lately on the tiaras worn by the Spanish Royal Family. Given all of the breaks in the monarchy over the past two centuries they no longer have very many tiaras. I was surprised to notice their lack of colored gemstones. The only tiara with colored stones currently owned by the SRF are the Niarchos rubies which barely constitutes a tiara in my opinion.

Here's my list of the tiaras worn by the Spanish infantas:

Infanta Pilar
Pearl & Diamond Loop Tiara
Sapphire Tiara

Infanta Margarita
Sapphire Tiara
Shell Tiara
Pearl & Diamond Tiara

Infanta Elena
Floral Tiara
Marichalar Meander Tiara
Prussian Diamond Tiara
She's also worn her aunt, Princess Irene of Greece's, diamond circle tiara but I don't have a post on it yet.

Infanta Cristina
Floral Tiara
Cartier Pearl & Diamond Tiara
Prussian Diamond Tiara
Shell Tiara

Thanks for the photo's above,do you know anything of the history regarding Infanta Margarita's Pearl & Diamond Tiara?

Thanks for the photo's above,do you know anything of the history regarding Infanta Margarita's Pearl & Diamond Tiara?

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it's history. I've read places that it came from her mother's family but I've never seen a picture of the Countess of Barcelona wearing the tiara.

I wish that I had a clearer picture of Infanta Margarita wearing the tiara but she attends so few tiara events and even when she does the cameras are focused on other members of the family.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it's history. I've read places that it came from her mother's family but I've never seen a picture of the Countess of Barcelona wearing the tiara.

I wish that I had a clearer picture of Infanta Margarita wearing the tiara but she attends so few tiara events and even when she does the cameras are focused on other members of the family.

Thanks,goodness knows what will happen to it in the future,I can't see her children needing it as tiara events in Spain are quite rare of late!

Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain wearing the Emerald Bandeau,I wonder what became of this and I'm assuming this too was sold or lost following the exile of 1931.

Tiara Mania: Emerald Bandeau

I think that these are all of the tiaras worn by Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain. Only three are still worn by the current queen of Spain. Most of them have been lost with time, either sold or reworked into other pieces of jewellery.

Tiaras that still belong to the Spanish Royal Family

Fleur de Lys Tiara
Pearl & Diamond Tiara
Shell Tiara

Tiaras that were lost, sold, or inherited by other members of her family
Aquamarine Parure Tiara - still belongs to her descendents through Infanta Beatriz
Diamond Bandeau
Diamond Garland Tiara
Diamond Spike Tiara
Emerald Bandeau
Meander Bandeau
Strawberry Leaf Tiara - borrowed from her mother
Turquoise Tiara

Last edited:
I think that these are all of the tiaras worn by Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain. Only three are still worn by the current queen of Spain. Most of them have been lost with time, either sold or reworked into other pieces of jewellery.

Tiaras that still belong to the Spanish Royal Family

Fleur de Lys Tiara
Pearl & Diamond Tiara
Shell Tiara

Tiaras that were lost, sold, or inherited by other members of her family
Aquamarine Parure Tiara - still belongs to her descendents through Infanta Beatriz
Diamond Bandeau
Diamond Garland Tiara
Diamond Spike Tiara
Emerald Bandeau
Meander Bandeau
Turquoise Tiara

What a wonderful collection Ena had!

I believe the Diamond Spike Tira was better known as the Cartier Chaumet tiara & that was indeed sold off.The photo of the Turquoise Tiara is infact that of the Strawberry Leaf Tiara that belonged to her mother, Her Royal Highness The Princess Beatrice and was not part of Ena's collection.

What a wonderful collection Ena had!

I believe the Diamond Spike Tira was better known as the Cartier Chaumet tiara & that was indeed sold off.The photo of the Turquoise Tiara is infact that of the Strawberry Leaf Tiara that belonged to her mother, Her Royal Highness The Princess Beatrice and was not part of Ena's collection.

Yes, the Diamond Spike Tiara by Chaumet was sold by Queen Ena and then put up for auction again in the 80s.

I don't think that the Turquoise Tiara and the Strawberry Leaf Tiara that Queen Ena borrowed from her mother had anything to do with one another so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I believe that the are the same tiara?
http://i46.tinypic.com/28tko7a.jpg

They don't look the same to me. Here's the Strawberry Leaf Tiara on the left and the Turquoise Tiara on the right.
Strawberry+Leaf+Tiara+%28%29+for+Queen+Victoria+here+Queen+Victoria+Eugenie+of+Spain+1.jpg
Turquoise+Tiara+%28%29+Queen+Victoria+Eugenie+of+Spain+3.jpg

De Marichilar Tiara

This beautiful tiara was given to Infanta Elena at her 1995 wedding by Don Jaimies Family. The small, simple, yet beautiful diamond tiara, Constists of three levels. One of Greek Key Motif, the second of Leaves of Wheat, and the bottom of Circles. The tiara is currently in the Infanta's possession. I am hoping that it either stays in the family or is given to HE Frederika de Maricilar......

This is one of my favorite wedding photos:

Which jewellery company made the tiara?

Yes its a very delicate and beautiful rarely seen tiara,I wonder what will happen to the sapphire tiara in the future after Infanta Pilar passes as I doubt any of her children will have an need for it.

Queen Isabella I even offered to pawn her jewels to finance the voyage of Christopher Columbus to America.

Yes its a very delicate and beautiful rarely seen tiara,I wonder what will happen to the sapphire tiara in the future after Infanta Pilar passes as I doubt any of her children will have an need for it.

I do hope the King and Queen buy it and bring it back to the main line. They could certainly do with a few interesting tiaras.m Most of the tiara's worn by Queen Sophia were owned by her and not the crown, so we do not know what Letizia will get to use.

I do hope the King and Queen buy it and bring it back to the main line. They could certainly do with a few interesting tiaras.m Most of the tiara's worn by Queen Sophia were owned by her and not the crown, so we do not know what Letizia will get to use.

I agree wholeheartedly! The SRF could definitely use a tiara with colored gemstones in their collection as I do get a little bored of all of the pearl & diamond tiaras. I believe that Infanta Pilar has other sapphire pieces of jewelry that could be worn with the tiara.
Sapphire Brooch & Earrings
Sapphire Necklace & Earrings
Sapphire Pendant & Earrings

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I agree wholeheartedly! The SRF could definitely use a tiara with colored gemstones in their collection as I do get a little bored of all of the pearl & diamond tiaras. I believe that Infanta Pilar has other sapphire pieces of jewelry that could be worn with the tiara.
Sapphire Brooch & Earrings
Sapphire Necklace & Earrings
Sapphire Pendant & Earrings

Pilar's sapphires are lovely. Hope they, in time, make it back to the main line. Letizia could do them justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom