Jewels worn by Members of the Spanish Royal Family 1: Ending Jun 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
:previous: Thank you, duke of poliganc!
That site has some other nice pics of her jewels, like the fleur de lys tiara, diamond rivieres, or the small crown and the beautiful pearls from King Alfonso XIII. Very yummy!

Queen Victoria Eugenia sold off a lot of jewels during her exile and also to pay for the wedding of Juan Carlos and Sofia ,I wonder if these are still in a vault or sold off?

The ladies of old were aware that the colour of the gems wouldn't show on b/w photographs. So while they wouldn't mix the gems for events, they sometimes mixed them for formal portraits.

The ladies of old were aware that the colour of the gems wouldn't show on b/w photographs. So while they wouldn't mix the gems for events, they sometimes mixed them for formal portraits.
interesting , actually i thought about the b/w photos when queen Amélie of Portugal was photographed once wearing a emerald tiara with a sapphire choker .

interesting , actually i thought about the b/w photos when queen Amélie of Portugal was photographed once wearing a emerald tiara with a sapphire choker .
Yes, I think Queen Amelie did wear this combination.:ROFLMAO:
Looking at the corsage brooches again, I think the other corsage might have rubies because the coloured stones are so small. Large rubies are much rarer than emeralds or sapphires of the same size. So the one she wears in the picture could well be sapphire or emerald.

According to her will, the majority of her jewels including those collectively known as the joyas de pasar, were to go to her son and remain in tact, to be passed from queen to queen. It is likely Sofia simply has found the larger diamonds too much, and worn a shorter version.

The list of what was included to the Count, and passed to JC and Sofia.
-The Ansorena Fleur-de-Lys tiara
-The big Diamond riviére
-A neckace with 37 big pearls
-A Diamond brooch having hanging from it the "La Peregrina" pearl
-A pair of Diamond earring with a big Diamond on the center
-Two matching bracelet
-Four rows of big pearl
-A brooch with a big grey pearl, hanging from it a pear shape pearl

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Las joyas de pasar-Queen Ena's last will

Her aquamarines and emeralds she left to her daughters :flowers:

Beatriz got her aquamarines. Unlike other pieces that have returned to ht main line, the aquamarine set remains in her family.
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Victoria Eugenia's Aquamarine Tiara
https://royal-magazin.de/spain/aquamarine-parure.htm
Queen Ena's Aquamarines | The Court Jeweller
The tiara as seen above has been worn by Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg on occasion. Her mother is the youngest of Beatriz's four children.

Maria Cristina inherited the Cartier tiara (pearls and diamonds but Ena often swapped with emeralds) but the tiara has since returned (either sold or gifted) to the main line. Sofia often has worn it.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Cartier Diamond and Pearl Tiara

I am not sure what other pieces Maria Cristina inherited. The main emerald set was sold to Cartier in the 60's.

It's remarkable, IMO, that so many important jewels were able to be kept together by Ena so she could pass them on to her sons'wives and their daughters, considering the decades of exile and of subsequent money troubles she experienced.

yes I agree, but I think She had many friends who where generous and very respectful to her.

d01b4fc21c0b229519d4e82fe162d50b.jpg

e46ccb4a5ebc54dccd3db264e00af77f.jpg

the size of the emerald in the stomacher is just amazing

2bc8089bc00bec6f0f57ae554c3aeaa6.jpg

dose anyone knows where is the rest of Infanta Isabel jewels . she lefted all her jewels to her nephew King Alfonso XIII but the only piece i can recognize from her collection is the Mellerio Shell tiara .

"MIS JOYAS REALES": Collar de Chatones - Casa Real de España
in this site it talks about enas diamond riviera . it's in spanish so excuse the translation
Queen Victoria Eugenia divide the chatons into two necklaces and leaved a specified in here will that the "biggest" collar, along with another set of jewelry, are delivered to her son Don Juan, with the desire that in the future would switch to hands of Don Juan Carlos.
A lot of jewelry that will be known as " the jewels to pass" .
King Juan Carlos received the "jewels to pass" after the abdication of his father in 1977, and since then the Reina Sofía has sported the "biggest" collar rarely.

Queen Victoria Eugenia divide the rest of her jewels among her other children, leaving necklace chatons "smaller", with 27 diamonds, to the Infante Don Jaime.

In 1977, Charlotte Tiedemann, second wife of Infante Don Jaime, auctioned at Christie's Geneva necklace chatons, which would be purchased by Alejandro Vega, a jeweler of Madrid, at just over 18 million pesetas (110,000 € ).
In 1982 it was bought by someone close to the Royal Family, so that the collar became with Queen Sofia, who will wear for the first time in the state visit of President of France, Francois Mitterand.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ABHLGGOvEho/Ukr7_SXhLrI/AAAAAAAAIqo/bfHCxAVC2ek/s1600/Chatones+06.jpg
A third chatons necklace that King Alfonso XIII gave his daughter in law , Dona Maria de las Mercedes, Countess of Barcelona, ​​on the occasion of her wedding to Don Juan de Borbon.
Among the wedding gifts, Maria de las Mercedes also receive from Alfonso XIII the Russian tiara that belonged to his mother, Queen Christina, which most likely also belonged necklace chatons.
The Countess of Barcelona lend here daughter in law , the then Princess Sophia, the Russian tiara and necklace chatons so that could look at Persepolis in 1971, in celebration of the 2,500th anniversary of the Persian dynasty.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tLIY_iNxZvM/Ukr-CcVb0gI/AAAAAAAAIrI/nFyfm3Oeglw/s1600/Reina+Cristina+(36).jpg
After the death of the Countess of Barcelona is not clear who has this third necklace chatons.
By agreement of her three kids , King Juan Carlos and the infantas pilar and Margarita, the Russian tiara passed to the first, and today with Queen Sofia, but nothing is known about the chatons.
this is the best explanation i had readed about ena's diamond riviere

I have no idea which tiara that is. Probably one that's no longer in existence/in the family. But it looks completely different to the floral tiara, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom