Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarin Announce Separation; Jan. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Inaki is shameless parading his new fancy woman for all to see and knowing well what his wife and kids will endure by the gutter media.

I wonder if his Parents were happy with their Son Royal Wedding ?
I am sad for his Mother the Belgian Claire Liebart .

Urdangarín arrives to the law firm where he and his girlfriend work this morning:

We'll manage this as best as we can, as we've always done:

https://www.europapress.es/chance/r...paracion-infanta-cristina-20220120085049.html

A "friend"of Cristina: Iñaki told Cristina and the kids after this summer, she's all cried out over this and has accepted he won't go back to her. September was what she called the worst month of her life:
https://www.cope.es/actualidad/espa...-entero-nueva-amistad-marido-20220120_1737754

Cristina and the kids knowing about the affair since the end of the summer explains Pablo's reaction yesterday. I now believe Cristina may have "accepted" that Iñaki would not go back to her, but was still reluctant to have a divorce. So Iñaki staged this photo-op to make his affair public and put pressure on Cristina. Iñaki is truly a scoundrel if that version proves to be true.

Last edited:
I think this is the end of the marriage, with Iñaki's words this morning, it is confirmed that he and Ahinoa are a couple. I feel sorry for the Infanta Cristina, she was very much in love with Iñaki, and defended her husband in bad times, however...

Cristina and the kids knowing about the affair since the end of the summer explains Pablo's reaction yesterday. I now believe Cristina may have "accepted" that Iñaki would not go back to her, but was still reluctant to have a divorce. So Iñaki staged this photo-op to make his affair public and put pressure on Cristina. Iñaki is truly a scoundrel if that version proves to be true.

That just seems to be a very sorry state of affairs!

I think this is the end of the marriage, with Iñaki's words this morning, it is confirmed that he and Ahinoa are a couple. I feel sorry for the Infanta Cristina, she was very much in love with Iñaki, and defended her husband in bad times, however...

Iñaki's reputation was bad before this and has now sunk to new lows following this and comes across as a very cruel uncaring man towards his wife/kids.

Last edited:
Agree 100% - it had 'staged' written all over it.
With Inakis proven infidelity before, maybe Cristina was reluctant because she thought the fling would pass and he'd come back to her, but Inaki was having none of it and chose the hard way. Now everything is out in the open.

We'll see now as the 'culprit' has gone, if some ice will break between Felipe and Cristina.

With Inakis proven infidelity before, maybe Cristina was reluctant because she thought the fling would pass and he'd come back to her, but Inaki was having none of it and chose the hard way. Now everything is out in the open.

We'll see now as the 'culprit' has gone, if some ice will break between Felipe and Cristina.

That may well be the case, with the path opening up for a legal separation, divorce and reconciliation with Felipe.

"Iñaki Urdangarin and Ainhoa Armentia reappear together after the Lecturas exclusive.

The first words of the still husband of the Infanta Cristina were immediate: "These things happen and we are going to manage it in the best way", Iñaki stated confirming his new relationship but without wanting to go into details"

https://www.lecturas.com/actualidad...entia-acuden-juntos-a-su-lugar-trabajo_114188
https://www.lecturas.com/actualidad...n-tras-sus-fotografias-ainhoa-armentia_114189

Obviously staged to force the Infanta to accept that their marriage was over. For me the Inaki is unacceptable!

Weren't these the exact same words Pablo used yesterday? And no, these things don't happen. He promised before God that he would stay faithful to his wife...

Last edited:

Completely agree. Hopefully some ice will break between the siblings. Also hope that the separation and divorce (if indeed this is where this is headed) are quick. No need dragging this out.

I find it rather surprising that Iñaki has chosen to publically humiliate his wife even further than he already did. There is no need to walk hand in hand in public with what supposedly is his mistress.

I don't think Cristina deserved this humiliation - after all she suffered with him & having to raise 4 children on her own. And considering Pablo's dignified & mature way of handling himself she seemed to have been doing a great job. If the couple is going for a divorce & has been separated he could have waited until it was announced before taking another woman out in public & being a further embarrassement to his wife, children and relatives.

He no longer sees any benefit to being married to her. The scandal stripped him of all the prestige and perks of being married to a Royal Infanta.

He sees this as a fresh start after prison.

He is a low and unworthy type of man.If you look beyond the handsome exterior, the signs were there from the beginning.:sad:

These things don't "just happen" even if you're unhappy or want to leave the marriage you A) have to make the choice to cheat without first informing your soon to be ex that you wish to separate and B) be so indiscreet about it that you're caught in public. C) Then confirming the relationship leaving it to your son to answer the hard questions.

Even if it was his way of forcing the issue there are better ways of doing it, like announcing a separation though solicitors and giving your wife the choice to make it a joint announcement or not.

He doesn't seem very sorry, even though she stuck with him when many would have left.

Pablo definitely comes off very well, better than his father who *could* have handled things a lot more tactfully even if he just wanted out.

There is always two sides to every divorce. Would certainly be interesting to hear the other side, not that it is any of our business. The Spanish Community here still does not believe Cristina was "lilly white" in the money scandal. Inaki took the fall for the RF and now wants out. They are even claiming quite a huge amount of money secretly invested for Inaki was offered him by JC to just do the time and shut up but let his daughter look innocent. Now this is not completely my opinion but heard at church by many. We will really NEVER know the 100% truth. I wouldn't be surprised if this "photo shoot" was talked about by entire family as the way it should be done rather than a formal announcement since Cristina already knew of the affair many months ago. I do believe the son's statement to the idiot press was correctly rehearsed ahead of time for just this occasion. Lad did a wonderful, classy job of it. JMO

Are Inaki Sons Grandee of Spain ?

Yes, as sons of an infanta of Spain they are Grandees of Spain. His daughter as well (thanks to her mother of course, not because of her father).

There is always two sides to every divorce. Would certainly be interesting to hear the other side, not that it is any of our business. The Spanish Community here still does not believe Cristina was "lilly white" in the money scandal. Inaki took the fall for the RF and now wants out. They are even claiming quite a huge amount of money secretly invested for Inaki was offered him by JC to just do the time and shut up but let his daughter look innocent.

I don't know about any secret deals that Iñaki might have had with King Juan Carlos, but, objectively speaking:

1. Infanta Cristina was acquitted of any wrongdoing, so she is legally innocent.
  2. Cristina, Elena and their children ceased to be official members of the Spanish Royal Family when Felipe became King. That had nothing to do with the NOOS scandal, but is merely a consequence of the legal definition of the Royal Family under the Royal Decree 2917/1981.
  3. On top of (2), Cristina in particular was effectively ostracized by her brother, who even took away her title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca, even though she retained her HRH and her position in the line of succession (note: renouncing her succession rights could have been done under the Spanish constitution by means of an organic law passed by the Spanish Parliament, but Cristina apparently was not asked to do so; as of today, she is still 6th in line to the throne).

In any case, I don't think it makes sense to say that Iñaki "wanted out" of the RF when he has already been effectively and officially out for a long time. Instead, it appears to me that he previously wanted in because he thought the RF could protect him from prosecution and incarceration, which in the end proved not to be the case , and, now that he has served his time and is already out, he no longer sees any benefit or advantage of staying in this marriage.

Are Inaki Sons Grandee of Spain ?

The Royal Decree 1368/1987 says that children of Infantes shall have "the consideration of Grandees of Spain". The language is a little bit ambiguous, but is normally interpreted as meaning that, although they are not Grandees in their own right, they are entitled to the privileges of a Grandee, which are now restricted only to the use of the style of Excellency. So, for example, Pablo is technically "His Excellency Don Pablo Nicolás Sebastián Urdangarin y de Borbón ".

Note that a distinction is now made between children of Infantes or Infantas, who have only the consideration of Grandees with the style of Excellency, and children of the Prince or Princess of Asturias, who are Infantes or Infantas themselves with the style of Royal Highness.

Note also that a regular Grandeeship in Spain is normally attached to a title (like a dukedom, marquisate, etc.) and is transmitted hereditarily with the title. That is not the case for children of Infantes as their "consideration" as Grandees does not extend to their future children.

Last edited:
The pictures reminded me of many years ago, when a husband would intentionally be spotted with a woman in order to give his wife grounds for divorce. (I think Wallis Simpon's ex Ernest did that.)

People don't need "grounds" like that today, but who knows what goes on in someone's private life? It's all speculation.

At first thought Iñaki comes off as a scoundrel for letting things transpire in this manner.

However, I am starting to think that Iñaki has really been a martyr after all. He rightfully deserves alot of pity and respect for bring the fall guy.

1. He took the brunt of the blame in the NOOS corruption scandal that his father-in-law and wife no doubt knew about and/or were involved in.
It is easier to convict and send the son-in-law to do time instead of a King or the daughter of a King.

2. We don't know the full story. It could very well be the Cristina called time on the marriage or perhaps Cristina was unfaithful first.
With the(staged) photos of Iñaki and his mistress now out in public and with Pablo speaking out, Cristina will unquestionably gain the sympathy of the Spanish people. This sympathy will allow her come back into the fold and be able to attend public royal engagements with her sister and brother the King.

I am inclined to think this is one big elaborate plot as it allows everything to work out in the Infanta's favor.

Last edited:
I think the simplest explanation is that it's possible that both Inaki and Cristina, during the entire NOOS scandal and the time that Inaki was imprisoned, they kept their private lives totally out of the public domain. The marriage could have gone sour a long time ago and the public was none the wiser. Now that Inaki is allowed out and working and able to lead a relatively "normal" life again, it's becoming known that there are reasons to believe the marriage is over and they're moving on with their lives.

Of course we can speculate until the cows come home but I do believe that the whole story is limited to the people that are involved in the marriage and they're not going to reveal all and sundry to the public domain.

1. He took the brunt of the blame in the NOOS corruption* scandal that his father-in-law and wife no doubt knew about and/or were involved in.
It is easier to convict and send the son-in-law to do time instead of a King or the daughter of a King.

Without getting into your argument, the King himself could not be convicted of anything as he has immunity from criminal prosecution. That is the case in Spain and, in fact, in all European kingdoms as far as I know.

Cristina and Inaki would have been married 25 years this October!

Iñaki was sentenced because Iñaki committed illegalities and did things wrong. He created his business with his friend who had no relationship with his family-in-law... another thing is that when the business did not go well, he looked for the father-in-law's contacts... but even looking for the father-in-law's contacts he had the option of doing the things legally and did not.

The fact that Juan Carlos has done things wrong does not mean that he is guilty of what Iñaki did. Iñaki was ambitious and not very bright, and teamed up with an unreliable partner... and the consequences were what they were.

Iñaki was the favorite son-in-law, probably the one who praised Juan Carlos and tried to win his favor for his own benefit... he was protected for a long time, and before his scandal was publicly discovered his father-in-law got him a job in Washington with a great salary and many privileges.

Before the NOOS scandal and before the job in Washington , they were very rich and had a luxurious House in Barcelona.

The pictures reminded me of many years ago, when a husband would intentionally be spotted with a woman in order to give his wife grounds for divorce. (I think Wallis Simpon's ex Ernest did that.)

People don't need "grounds" like that today, but who knows what goes on in someone's private life? It's all speculation.

The usual thing here was that a well-to-do man would pay a woman to spend a night in a hotel room with him, and they'd sit up and play cards, but a third party would report that they'd spent the night together :lol:. I assume that this woman genuinely is Inaki's new partner, but staging a public outing together like that's a bit strange.

The usual thing here was that a well-to-do man would pay a woman to spend a night in a hotel room with him, and they'd sit up and play cards, but a third party would report that they'd spent the night together :lol:. I assume that this woman genuinely is Inaki's new partner, but staging a public outing together like that's a bit strange.

I think they wanted to take over the relationship and felt that this was the best option, thus putting pressure on Infanta Cristina to proceed with a divorce.
I feel sorry for Infanta Cristina, as she always seemed to be a passionate woman and fought for marriage even in the most difficult moments.
For Queen Sofia this must also be very sad, it is already the second divorce in the family, after that of Infanta Elena.

I think they wanted to take over the relationship and felt that this was the best option, thus putting pressure on Infanta Cristina to proceed with a divorce.
I feel sorry for Infanta Cristina, as she always seemed to be a passionate woman and fought for marriage even in the most difficult moments.
For Queen Sofia this must also be very sad, it is already the second divorce in the family, after that of Infanta Elena.

While Sofia and Juan Carlos aren't divorced, their marriage only exists on paper and while Felipe and Letizia seem to be a happy couple, their wedding was only possible because of Letizia's previous divorce. I sincerely hope the next generation will break this pattern of broken relationships.

Before the NOOS scandal and before the job in Washington , they were very rich and had a luxurious House in Barcelona.

They were never very rich, they bought a house and did a reform that was too expensive for their finances, they took a mortgage and paying for that house was one of the reasons why Urdangarín wanted quick money.

Iñaki was a professional athlete and earned a good salary, but as happens with many athletes, once he left the sport, he had to find a new professional path... and his path was not the most successful.

While Sofia and Juan Carlos aren't divorced, their marriage only exists on paper and while Felipe and Letizia seem to be a happy couple, their wedding was only possible because of Letizia's previous divorce. I sincerely hope the next generation will break this pattern of broken relationships.

Letizia's first marriage only lasted 1 year and she was very young at the time.
Felipe and Letizia for having a happy marriage and they make a good team.
Yes the marriage of Juan Carlos and Sofia exists only on paper.
Letizia's parents also divorced and so did her sister.
I also hope that the next generation will be luckier in this regard.

The first image of Iñaki Urdangarin and Ainhoa together.
https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...en-juntos-urdangarin-ainhoa-armentia_3361948/

https://live.mrf.io/statics/i/ps/im...9e0c0b8b1b2591ae01a397f531a2fd.jpg?mrf-size=m

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom