Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At today's Macarthurs Giris Schools visit Megsie & Harry both spoke to the school kids.

Megsie talked to the kids about women's empowerment. "You guys all remind me so much of myself when I was growing up. I went to an all giris school which was incredibly diverse as well"

"I think being around such empowered young women, it becomes something that you all just grasp onto to understand your world. It's made you confident, well-spoken. You have an intention set to really do something to change the world, and you have to keep it up"

"It makes me so emotional. You're doing really, really good work and I'm so happy that we're here. We give you our full support"

Harry chimed in by saying "Men can help as well by getting involved, we have to. We need to get men's voices involved as soon as possible. Don't stop!. Get more people involved, guys as well"

Great speeches by both there.

How wonderful Harry is. Thank you for letting us know this Chloep.

Now wouldn't it be totally fantastic if random acts of kindness like Harry did went as viral as the clothing Meghan wears? :D

I was unavoidably out all day today from very early until about 6pm. I seem to have missed such a lot (sob.) I caught up when I could. I saw the Channel 7 reporter, a Sydneyite obviously, bemoaning the fact that Bondi wasn't at its sparkling and very sunny best for the early morning engagement. There were large crowds gathered anyway, right?

I saw Harry on the bridge with ScoMo, our PM and the vets, and the Invictus flag flying high. There was also Daphne waiting in her wheelchair again, and a thirteen year old boy who had bought a tiara with his own money for Harry's baby. He said he loved Harry and Meghan so much and was thrilled to meet Harry. Very sweet.

Was the girls school visit an embargoed engagement? Harry and Meghan are certainly whipping through these engagement numbers. No wonder Meghan felt like a couple of hours rest this afternoon! Once again a lot of enthusiastic Aussies so happy to meet them, especially young people.

I was unavoidably out all day today from very early until about 6pm. I seem to have missed such a lot (sob.) I caught up when I could. I saw the Channel 7 reporter, a Sydneyite obviously, bemoaning the fact that Bondi wasn't at its sparkling and very sunny best for the early morning engagement. There were large crowds gathered anyway, right?

I saw Harry on the bridge with ScoMo, our PM and the vets, and the Invictus flag flying high. There was also Daphne waiting in her wheelchair again, and a thirteen year old boy who had bought a tiara with his own money for Harry's baby. He said he loved Harry and Meghan so much and was thrilled to meet Harry. Very sweet.

Was the girls school visit an embargoed engagement? Harry and Meghan are certainly whipping through these engagement numbers. No wonder Meghan felt like a couple of hours rest this afternoon! Once again a lot of enthusiastic Aussies so happy to meet them, especially young people.

Yes Curryong, the school girls said they had just finished their English exam and only thought the NSW Premier was coming to assembly.

Very suprised when Harry and Meghan showed up too.

That Daphne has more "get out of the house" energy and drive than I do! :lol:

Yes, Daphne had her hair done and lipstick on and everything! Harry must have hurried back to get ready for the meeting with the PM and ALP Leader, as Daphne wasn't greeted this time.

What was the longest tour of Catherine and William? Did it also last so long as this tour?

I think one thing this tour is great at doing is highlighting the people of Australia and their wonderful spirit and generosity.

There are names like Luke Vincent, the Woodley family, Gavin Hazelwood, India Brown, Jordan Ilencik and of course Daphne as always. Their interactions with the couple are news stories around the world not because they came out to see the couple but because of their warmth.

The couple is doing a great job connecting with people.

They blend into and almost feel like a natural part of whatever group they are interacting with.

Last edited:
What was the longest tour of Catherine and William? Did it also last so long as this tour?

I'm not sure about their Canadian tours but William and Kate came to Australasia in 2014 for ten days. The longest Royal tour of all was of course the Queen's in 1953/54. She and Prince Philip toured Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific nations of the Commonwealth for six months.

The Cambridges tour to Australia and New Zealand in 2014 was from 7 April to 25 April

Last edited:
Yes, there were three official rest days, two in NZ and one in Australia, and several of the days had two or perhaps three engagements.

That was the tour Prince George was dubbed the ‘republican slayer’. Support for an Australian republic slumped to a 20 year low after the Cambridges visit.

A great article in the guardian today about the visit to Australia. In the end all tours are at the core of it a PR exercise for the monarchy.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news...duke-duchess-sussex?__twitter_impression=true

"But Harry and Meghan were always the royals that were going to resonate most in Australia. Younger, fresher, less buttoned-up, and more willing to break with protocol, they have a more saleable – dare we say, more Australian – charm."

I think the British Monarchy is very lucky. It has the young royals who fit their roles perfectly!

The story about Gwen Cherne, 41, who was one of the select group scaling the bridge with the prince, shared how a sympathetic Harry listened to the story of her late husband, Australian special forces officer Peter J. Cafe, who died by suicide in February 2017 at the age of 48.

https://people.com/royals/prince-ha...r-bridge-climb/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“He understood what I meant. When you understand loss, I think it’s obvious,” she explained. “He did ask me if I was getting the support I need from the Defense and ex-servicemen and veteran community.” She works closely with U.S.-based Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors and talked to Harry about their partnership with the U.K.’s Diana Award.

As the 34-year-old prince’s entourage tried to move them along from the outing, Harry wanted to ensure they had enough time to talk.

“He stopped and said, ‘I’m in a middle of a conversation, and I’m not going to leave this.’ We were talking about my story and mental health and how difficult it is still, in our society, to talk about grief and loss and suicide. And how important things like the Invictus Games are to shedding light on, and allowing people to start to have these conversations that are great to have.”

This shows that Harry has his head screwed on right and he knows what his priorities are. He's a man that doesn't just talk the talk but does the walk (and climb).

I know the tour is scheduled and they have a pretty rigorous time sheet to keep to but sometimes, as we've seen so often, this is not a couple that hurries through things and are there just to be looked at, admired and treated royally (pun intended) but this example by Harry shows that they're there because its something they care about. Its the messages of the tour and how it affects the people that is important to them and its demonstrated by putting the people first and foremost even if it means knocking the schedule off whack a little bit.

Harry and Meghan don't want the tour to be about them but about why they're there and the people that they're trying to reach and make a difference with. Its working. Like a charm. It may sound a little trite but with each story that makes its way to the public's attention, the more chances there are that others out there will have their own "me too" moment and be inspired, comforted and perhaps even given direction to make their lives just a little bit better than it was before.

I'm impressed. Really impressed. ?

Fireworks for Harry and Meghan at Admiralty House last night.

Must have been a dinner with officials - from 9.00pm, a good display for ten minutes in front of the residence.

Also I don't think this has been made public yet but Megsie & Harry will unveil an official memorial at a private event in the city tomorrow morning. This is before they catch a boat over to Cockatoo Island for the Land Rover Challenge.

Perhaps something at the War Memorial.

Just had a live cross to a reporter waiting to cover this morning's unveiling and he is stationed in the avenue of trees in Hyde Park that lead to that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been regular embargoed events on this tour, did the 76 count just include what was published before or also the embargoed events?

Perhaps something at the War Memorial.

Just had a live cross to a reporter waiting to cover this morning's unveiling and he is stationed in the avenue of trees in Hyde Park that lead to that area.

I can't remember where else I saw it, but that's not the first time I saw the war memorial dedication event for today.

There have been regular embargoed events on this tour, did the 76 count just include what was published before or also the embargoed events?

I can't remember where else I saw it, but that's not the first time I saw the war memorial dedication event for today.

And their helicopter that follows them everywhere has just turned up jacqui24 - so off again soon!.

And saw that the total is now over eighty events. (Can't remember who said it, sorry.)

Yes, live coverage of the cars inside the Admiralty House grounds, waiting at the door.

Channel 9 look like they have a dedicated team outside, as well as Channel 7, sitting in chairs Harbourside, hair blowing in the breeze.

Hope we get good footage of the boat ride to Cockatoo Island.

Channel 9 saying crowds are gathering around the Harbour - what's that for, to see the boat go by?

Makes me think tomorrow's big outdoor day will be packed.

And their helicopter that follows them everywhere has just truned up jacqui24 - so off again soon!.

And saw that the total is now over eighty events. (Can't remember who said it, sorry.)

Saw that too. Wasn't sure if that's accurate, so I just kind of pushed that to the back of my mind. I guess most of the "surprises" are in Australia? Honestly, I never thought I'd say this, but I rather Meghan take it easier at this point. Though I have to remind myself she knows better about how she feels than I do, and she'll adjust her schedule if needed. :lol:

BTW, I didn't realize today is the anniversary of when QEII opened the Opera House????

Another thing, someone has asked me how the US coverage has been a few days ago. I'd say it's more coverage than any BRF member gets. While I don't watch a lot of TV as it airs, there has been coverage on the morning shows every day that they've been on tour, which is unusual since they aren't visiting US or nearby. Along with that, there are also daily coverage on other shows here. While it's not as much as Australia, it's definitely extensive coverage for any one person or two to have.

Last edited:
Maybe a hold up - eveyone still waiting. Outriders sitting on their bikes in the street, people milling about in the Admiralty House grounds.

Gone to another ad break!

They're off.

Didn't see them get into the cars, but Channel 9 interrupted an ad to show the cars go - so this is serious!!! :lol:

Nice waves to camera again.

Live Coverage:

Last edited:
Another thing, someone has asked me how the US coverage has been a few days ago. I'd say it's more coverage than any BRF member gets. While I don't watch a lot of TV as it airs, there has been coverage on the morning shows every day that they've been on tour, which is unusual since they aren't visiting US or nearby. Along with that, there are also daily coverage on other shows here. While it's not as much as Australia, it's definitely extensive coverage for any one person or two to have.

I think US coverage is a bit bigger than the first long Will/Kate tour - but only because of the Pregnancy announcement. Which we are embracing fully. I think Invictus add to the press too, because we also like Invictus.

I think US coverage is a bit bigger than the first long Will/Kate tour - but only because of the Pregnancy announcement. Which we are embracing fully. I think Invictus add to the press too, because we also like Invictus.
Part of it too is because Meghan is American. I have heard her being refered to as the American Duchess on GMA.

Part of it too is because Meghan is American. I have heard her being refered to as the American Duchess on GMA.

Of course that's a part of it. Meghan and her child and any future child(ren) are as close to an American royal as we are ever going to get. Although Harry has always had an additional appeal before this.

Harry is in uniform (no surprise) and Meghan is in a fascinator for the memorial.

Harry is in uniform (no surprise) and Meghan is in a fascinator for the memorial.

Wonderful to have such formality from everyone - such a contrast to Bondi only twenty four hours ago.

They both look very appropriate....Wickstead dress and Treacy Hat.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom