Harry and Meghan Are Expecting, Baby Due Spring 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everywhere you go in Europe (at least everywhere I go, and I go frequently) and try to speak French or German, I am cut off by people who only want to practice their English. :lol:

Try not to take it personally :flowers:

Although it is nice to know a foreign language, it is becoming less and less practical.
Everywhere you go in Europe (at least everywhere I go, and I go frequently) and try to speak French or German, I am cut off by people who only want to practice their English. :lol:
Less practical from english-speaking people it seems. I heard my entire life that learning another languages is very essential 'cause I wasn't born in a english-speaking country. English might be the language that is universally used, but that doesn't mean that the other languages will disappear entirely;)
It has been proven that learning other languages improves a child's intelect and expands the horizons (not sure if it's the way it's written, because I read it in portuguese not english, so I'm making a translation). I hope that Meghan and Harry encourage their child to learn another language. It's always a plus.

Less practical from english-speaking people it seems. I heard my entire life that learning another languages is very essential 'cause I wasn't born in a english-speaking country. English might be the language that is universally used, but that doesn't mean that the other languages will disappear entirely;)
It has been proven that learning other languages improves a child's intelect and expands the horizons (not sure if it's the way it's written, because I read it in portuguese not english, so I'm making a translation). I hope that Meghan and Harry encourage their child to learn another language. It's always a plus.

Hopefully, the Duchess will speak French and Spanish to baby Sussex. They could also hire a nanny that speaks a different language until the child goes off to school, and hopefully has a curriculum with foreign language built in even at a young age.

Hopefully, the Duchess will speak French and Spanish to baby Sussex. They could also hire a nanny that speaks a different language until the child goes off to school, and hopefully has a curriculum with foreign language built in even at a young age.

UK schools all require one other language to be studied, so Baby Sussex should be fine.

UK schools all require one other language to be studied, so Baby Sussex should be fine.

As do most US schools. Yet I find that skills to be lacking after high school. Home practice, especially start from a young age, is extremely important. Ability to learn a new language peaks at 7 or 8 years old. :eek:

My point meaning at a young age, i.e. 4-8 years when a child's brain is more apt to receiving and maintaining information. I know about UK schools, been there and done that.

My point meaning at a young age, i.e. 4-8 years when a child's brain is more apt to receiving and maintaining information. I know about UK schools, been there and done that.

The independent schools in the UK will typically start tuition in French in Year 1, when they are about 5. Those kids that speak another language at home are obviously better off than those that only rely on the school.

The independent schools in the UK will typically start tuition in French in Year 1, when they are about 5. Those kids that speak another language at home are obviously better off than those that only rely on the school.

Which should be right up the Duchess' alley. Learn it at school and speak it at home with mom (reinforced) or someone else in the home.

Hopefully, the Duchess will speak French and Spanish to baby Sussex.

It would be more practical IMHO to hire a Canadian nanny who could speak both French ( as her first language) and English ( as a flawless second language). A Franco-Ontarian would be a particularly good choice.

Although English schools may start teaching a foreign language in year 1, my understanding is that foreign languages are not compulsory in middle school (?) and certainly not in upper secondary school . That is not sufficient to reach proficiency , especially without real exposure to the other language and reinforcement learning at home.

It would be more practical IMHO to hire a Canadian nanny who could speak both French ( as her first language) and English ( as a flawless second language). A Franco-Ontarian would be a particularly good choice.

Although English schools may start teaching a foreign language in year 1, my understanding is that foreign languages are not compulsory in middle school (?) and certainly not in upper secondary school . That is not sufficient to reach proficiency , especially without real exposure to the other language and reinforcement learning at home.

This was my point initially. I know about the British school system because I lived it until I was 14. I also know about the American system because I lived it for high school and university and worked for it and even wrote my Education Master's Thesis on Children using their L1 (first language) in an English language classroom setting.

A foreign language is required in most U.S. public schools to graduate high school and in almost all private and charter schools, not so much in middle school and very rarely in elementary schools. As for the U.K, it really depends on the school.

I like the idea of a Canadian nanny (don't know how that would go over) who would be able to speak both English and French to the child. However, being a francophile, Canadian French is slightly different to France French, but that shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

[/B]

I like the idea of a Canadian nanny (don't know how that would go over) who would be able to speak both English and French to the child. However, being a francophile, Canadian French is slightly different to France French, but that shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know why a Canadian nanny would be an issue. The Cambridges' nanny is Spanish.

[/B]

This was my point initially. I know about the British school system because I lived it until I was 14. I also know about the American system because I lived it for high school and university and worked for it and even wrote my Education Master's Thesis on Children using their L1 (first language) in an English language classroom setting.

A foreign language is required in most U.S. public schools to graduate high school and in almost all private and charter schools, not so much in middle school and very rarely in elementary schools. As for the U.K, it really depends on the school.

I like the idea of a Canadian nanny (don't know how that would go over) who would be able to speak both English and French to the child. However, being a francophile, Canadian French is slightly different to France French, but that shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things

I don’t know about the UK , but High School language classes in the US , unless it is an IB or AP class, are pretty basic. Students normally never progress beyond being able to make simple sentences and, even in simple sentences, most of them have poor grammar and especially poor pronunciation.

I am aware that Canadian French pronunciation is very different from Parisian French , but the standard written language , except for a few differences in vocabulary, is the same throughout the French-soeaking world. I am obviously assuming that the nanny would speak standard French to the Sussex baby, albeit with a Canadian accent, rather than a dialectal form of Canadian French with nonstandard grammar. I would favor a French Canadian nanny over a European French one because, even if she has a “ funny accent”, her English pronunciation on the other hand is likely to be much better, especially if she is from Ontario, but from the local French school system.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Cambridge baby will learn a foreign language...my guess is at least Spanish and perhaps French.

I've started the grandkids on Spanish workbooks/language daily. `I think the 4 year old learns faster than the older two kids...but she has watched Dora for years also.

LaRaevc

I don’t know about the UK , but High School language classes in the US , unless it is an IB or AP class, are pretty basic. Students normally never progress beyond being able to make simple sentences and, even in simple sentences, most of them have poor grammar and especially poor pronunciation.

I am aware that Canadian French pronunciation is very different from Parisian French , but the standard written language , except for a few differences in vocabulary, is the same throughout the French-soeaking world. I am obviously assuming that the nanny would speak standard French to the Sussex baby, albeit with a Canadian accent, rather than a dialectal form of Canadian French with nonstandard grammar. I would favor a French Canadian nanny over an European French one because, even if she has a “ funny accent”, her English pronunciation on the other hand is likely to be much better, especially if she is from Ontario, but from the local French school system.

I agree with all of this. The only reason my French is up to par was because I have family members and friends who are French. Not even my AP French in high school was up to snuff. I also speak German, but I learnt that at university, which was a bit harder, but then I moved to Germany a few years after that, so I was able to actually immerse myself in the German language, even though it's normal to hear a mix of both German and English now on the Berlin UBahn.

Regarding the nanny, I don't disagree. I think a French Canadian would work, but again, some people may not like it. For me, I would find no problem with it.

I'm sure the Cambridge baby will learn a foreign language...my guess is at least Spanish and perhaps French.

I've started the grandkids on Spanish workbooks/language daily. `I think the 4 year old learns faster than the older two kids...but she has watched Dora for years also.

LaRaevc

Younger children take better to a foreign language better than older children. It's a proven fact. The earlier they start, the easier it is for them. But you also have to ensure that it's not just oral (speaking) but writing also (but that is for a different discussion).

BTW...do you mean Sussex baby?

Last edited by a moderator:
Younger children take better to a foreign language better than older children. It's a proven fact. The earlier they start, the easier it is for them. But you also have to ensure that it's not just oral (speaking) but writing also (but that is for a different discussion).

BTW...do you mean Sussex baby?

Yes sorry...was just reading something about the Cambridges possible ski trip so they were on the brain!

We use workbooks (written) and verbal both. ?

LaRae

Even better as Canada is one of the quuen's realms and France is not.

I think a Canadian nanny would be nice - and even though there may be some differences between the two languages, IIRC most French Canadians can understand the mainstream French spoken in France too, so there shouldn't be any problems. A French Canadian nanny would be a bonus because, as Somebody pointed out, Canada is part of the Commonwealth. And the Cambridge children have a Spanish nanny so the two couples would be even on their children being exposed to other languages - though in terms of useful world languages, a Mandarin Chinese or Arabic speaking nanny would be more practical; but I guess we'll wait and see!

It's always better to be positive and to try and access positivity in everything we do @evolving doors. That's one reason why I positively wish the Duke & Duchess of Sussex every good thing especially during this happy and expectant time in their lives, when they are both putting their best foot forward and handling the challenges they face with such grace, dignity, charm and spiritual uplift. :twohearts:

Even though Canada is a bilingual nation (officially), very few Canadians are fluently bilingual. Most Canadians speak English with minimal French that they learned in high school, and many Quebecois speak fluent French and poor English. So that French-Canadian nanny with a good grasp of both languages might be a little hard to find. :) (Some people do speak both languages well so they do exist...just might be tricky to find. ;) )

It's always better to be positive and to try and access positivity in everything we do @evolving doors. That's one reason why I positively wish the Duke & Duchess of Sussex every good thing especially during this happy and expectant time in their lives, when they are both putting their best foot forward and handling the challenges they face with such grace, dignity, charm and spiritual uplift. :twohearts:[/url]
So... the answer is: No. you only listen the readings that say only positive things about- that’s a very unbalanced way to view anything. Also a bit hypocritical to do so, if you can accept that a positive reading from an unknown YouTuber is potentially correct than you should be able to listen and accept that the negative ones are potentially correct too... balance- that’s how the universe works.
No good without bad. No light without dark.

Balance in all things. There's negatives to be found in positives and positives to be found in negatives if we look for it.

I think we're really getting off track here with discussing readings. As a tarot reader myself, I know that any reading only presents possibilities and probabilities and unless one is using Elder Futhark runes, its not "written in stone". Divination methods are tools and have no power in and of themselves.

Back to Harry and Meghan's first child and languages and education and whatever, I think the parents will know their child's inclinations as they watch him/her grow and the only language they're going to worry about at first is that all important first word which, if statistics are right, will be "Dada".

They'll make the right decisions when the time comes to make that decision.

So... the answer is: No. you only listen the readings that say only positive things about- that’s a very unbalanced way to view anything. Also a bit hypocritical to do so, if you can accept that a positive reading from an unknown YouTuber is potentially correct than you should be able to listen and accept that the negative ones are potentially correct too... balance- that’s how the universe works.
No good without bad. No light without dark.

While I agree with you in general - the universe is trying to be balanced!v- but at the moment I feel there is too much emphasis on the negativity. Greed, hate, envy are such strong emotions in so many people, so I personally are happy when people try to be positive and to share the good vibes. That is my impression of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as well: they are in their given situation and they try to do good from that. I think they will teach their child to accept where and who you are and to try to change the world for the better.

As for getting help with raising their little one - I think the non-stop campaign against Meghan, the amount of money spent on getting people to betray her trust, her own paternal family right at the front, all that must have left a mark on Meghan. And we know that both William and Harry have trust issues anyway. So I think the Sussexes will do what the Cambridges did: hire a Norland nanny with no emotional strings attached to anything British. I think Norland nannies are well aware that they not only sell their competence and motherliness to the family that employs them, but their utmost loyality. Betraying the British Royal family is surely such a no-go for a nanny from that institute that I cannot imagine one of them to do it. IMHO, of course.

Has anyone noticed the tiny cues in Harry's body language that show how much more attentive he's become of Meghan since they surfaced as a pair at Invictus 2016? There, he seemed rather awkward, neglecting to introduce her to people present and so forth. But today, he moved with military dispatch to unobtrusively monitor Meghan's descent down the steps at the exit of Canada House.This, more than the rapport he has with little kids, tells me he's going to be a great father.

I like to imagine how he felt when he first heard Baby Sussex' heartbeat or felt the baby move in response to his voice.

If Meghan were smart she'd encourage Harry to read to the Baby Sussex to expose it more to Harry's voice.

:previous: Harry was certainly holding her tightly coming down those steps. It is one of those difficult situations that protocol provides as, in the normal course of life Meghan would have also have had her hand on the railing but, since the diplomat was on her right by the rail Harry looked decidedly serious.

It looks to me as if she has dropped before today’s appearances which would confirm my guess of the due date a month from now

During their visit to Canada House, there was a close-up in one of the videos of Meghan's hand, where we could see she was only wearing her weddng ring. Someone suggested that she must have removed the engagement ring due to swelling at this stage of her pregnancy.

I also read in a recent People article that Meghan plans to make her own baby food to ensure the healthy freshness of the ingredients. So from all reports, Meghan likes to do her own thing in all things, but surely they have cleaning help, so she's freed up from that mundane but necessary task!

ETA: I'm mainly referencing the fact that Meghan was used to being independent and doing her own thing, so much so that she still does her own makeup, and she's her own stylist for the most part, and she cooks everyday, so we're told. So of course, making baby food is not a stretch or anything unusual. It's just the idea that she really doesn't need to do as much of this herself as a royal. But clearly, she comes from a normal, independent, working-class background and so she's accustomed to doing things for herself. I'm sure that suits Harry fine, as I once read an article where he was reported as saying that he likes to shop for his own food and he's determined that his future children will be able to live life as normally as possible.

Last edited:
I don't believe everything I read, whether negative or positive, unless it's posted on official announcement. Other than that, it is just people's opinions.

Making fresh baby food isn't unusual or particularly time consuming or difficult but again it's just fluffy speculation/filler as we get closer to the birth but there's no official announcements.

Yes, most parents I know make their baby's food from scratch.
Commercially available food is a help for the odd times when it can't be easily made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom