General Swedish Royalty Facts, Discussion and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,

I was recently on the Swedish monarchy's website and noticed how in each of the bios, they included the crown for each member of the royal family.

Why does each member have a crown? Is this some long standing tradition?

Hi,

I was recently on the Swedish monarchy's website and noticed how in each of the bios, they included the crown for each member of the royal family.

Why does each member have a crown? Is this some long standing tradition?
It is their royal monogram, wich consists of the first letter in their forename (or two if they have a double name like Carl Gustaf and Carl Philip) and a heraldic crown according to their respective rank.

So it’s the rules of heraldry

It is their royal monogram, wich consists of the first letter in their forename (or two if they have a double name like Carl Gustaf and Carl Philip) and a heraldic crown according to their respective rank.

So it’s the rules of heraldry
No, I'm referring to actual physical crowns. For example, on Princess Sofia's bio, at the bottom it shows Princess Sofia's crown and mentions "Princess Sofia Albertina's crown, made in Stockholm 1772 by Johan Adam Marcklin."

Last edited:
No, I'm referring to actual physical crowns. For example, on Princess Sofia's bio, at the bottom it shows Princess Sofia's crown and mentions "Princess Sofia Albertina's crown, made in Stockholm 1772 by Johan Adam Marcklin."
Ah i see… Those are the historical princely coronets that belongs to the crown jewels.

A long time ago, the Princes and Princess’ of the blood wore coronets to the coming of age ceremony, to the swedish state opening of parliament and to coronations…

Today they are only symbolically used during weddings and baptisms when the Princes and Princess’ officially recives (but never wears) one of the princely coronets as their personal ”ranking crown”

The coronet they have symbolically recived upon marriage or baptism is also placed on their coffin at their funeral.

You can read more about the coronets (and the other swedish regalia) here : Regalia of Sweden - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom