GD Henri Appoints his Son Guillaume as Lieutenant Representant, 8 Oct. 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty sure he won’t abdicate before that. Personally, I’d hope that he fully hand over shortly after that (maybe even a day later now Guillaume is appointed on the 8th?). One year in the role seems enough practice to officially take it on.

The ceremony will take place on the afternoon of Tuesday, October 8, 2024. The signing of the Grand Ducal Decree of appointment by Grand Duke Henri will take place at the Grand Ducal Palace. This will be followed by the inauguration of the Hereditary Grand Duke before the Chamber of Deputies, as provided for in the Constitution.

The official program was revealed:

Grand Duke Jean abdicated 7 October 2000 and hopefully Grand Duc Henri will wait until after his Silver Jubilee.
Agreed, he needs to wait for that 25-year mark and celebrate his years of service to his country, and one day his son will do the same and retire in good health too.

Does anyone have pictures of Henri's appointment as lieutenant-representative? I do recall pictures of his ascension to the throne but not of this moment.

Does anyone have pictures of Henri's appointment as lieutenant-representative? I do recall pictures of his ascension to the throne but not of this moment.

Here are some photos of the ceremony on March 4, 1998 :flowers:

** gettyimages gallery **

Update October 3: Photos of that day and of Jean's ceremony on May 4, 1961 have also been officially released today:

Last edited:
Prior to today's ceremony Grand Duke Henri and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume talked about the impact of the appointment and their respective futures in an interview with two journalists:

And today's schedule and live links has been shared again:

Live links with photos and videos:

A simple but dignified ceremony,in the palace. The hereditary Grand Duchess and the Grand Duchess herself both look radiant and proud of their husband/son.

I hadn't realised Luxembourg changed Prime Minister. Xavier Bettel was replaced by a man named Luc Frieden of the Christian Democrat party. Considering he was singing the praises of the GD and his wife, it feels more credible than when Bettel had to do that.

Guillaume himself has an unfortunate appearance but he seems goodhearted, calm and warm which is of course more important. His wife seems steady and collected and with their two sons they seem to make the happiest of families.
GD Henri looks so much like his mother btw and like his father has the appearance of the perfect gentleman.

It seems that of Guillaume's siblings only Prince Louis was there.

Last edited:
Guillaume was once one of the most handsome young princes in Europe. He is no longer 25, but a little physical fine tuning would go a long way, I agree.

Meanwhile he seems gentle, hard working and utterly devoted to his tiny country. He speaks the Luxembourgish dialect flawlessly-the same can't be said of his parents.

His integrity has so far been beyond reproach.

Luxembourg is very fortunate to have Guillaume imho.

Guillaume was once one of the most handsome young princes in Europe. He is no longer 25, but a little physical fine tuning would go a long way, I agree.

Meanwhile he seems gentle, hard working and utterly devoted to his tiny country. He speaks the Luxembourgish dialect flawlessly-the same can't be said of his parents.

His integrity has so far been beyond reproach.

Luxembourg is very fortunate to have Guillaume imho.
Couldn't agree more, what a wonderful new regent couple the country has.

Personally i don’t find anything wrong with his appearance… Gulliaume clearly has his fathers calm, stable and likable personality, while he may look a big more like his mother… I find it rather reassuring that you don’t have to look like an athlete or like a vogue model to be a successful and beloved royal…

He seems to be more mature and more prepared than many of his counterparts was in his age… Henri and M-T has done a good job in preparing him and making sure all will be well in the future…

Perhaps it is more the contrast with his father, who simply looks the part perfectly. But as somebody raised in the 80s and 90s my own image of what a monarch should look like may be highly influenced by the ascetic appearance of his uncle, the late King Baudouin.
There is indeed nothing wrong with Guillaume and I am sure he and his wife will manage to to a good job and be respected and liked. And the visible great joy he and his wife have with their two sons is wonderful to see.

Speaking of the children, can we hope for a balcony appearance later from the family including the two adorable baby princes?🥰

I just did read in Bunte online about it and here in the Royal Forums the same tenor is to find: Grand Duke Henri might abdicate very soon...

But why? The Grand Duke looks very fit, very!

Personally I like the circumstances in the Principality of Liechtenstein: The Prince is still the boss, but the Crown Prince does the day-to-day business.

Back
Top Bottom