Fashion for the little and teenage royals Part 13: December 2018 - July 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you claim, their dresses are too old, heavy, matronly, whatever for their age, how would you describe 10, 13 year old boys wearing business suits with ties....?!
I cannot recall any single lad of that age these days, not even for weddings or christenings, of families I know personally, who would wear a suit (may be some smart pair of trousers combined with a white shirt or something that reminds of a suit but without a tie etc.). Yes, I know, they a royal - but still!

Especially Emmanuel's tie was terrible imo. Very much a tie worn by older men who want to look young imo.

I never really loved the styling of the AAA team.

Last year, Amalia wore some hideous clothes, too matronly and heavy prints. I saw some improvement this year, most probably due to her age (a time of experimenting what one likes and what clothes do justice on the body) and she is starting to find her own style.

On the other hand, Alexia seems like a girl who knows exactly what she wants, and that's showing for a while now. She clearly loves fashion and grown-up things. She is also the most conscious about what beauty represents and her love to pose like a model for pictures. It wouldn't surprise me if she went to a university course in photography or fashion like the route Maria-Olympia is pursuing.

Alexia is indeed very much into fashion. She even has her own fashion type Instagram account. Personally I am not a fan of all her 'posing', so I am hoping it's just a phase that will pass. Given that she is attending a Gymnasium (the highest level of secobdary school preparing for university) it would go against expectation if she would choose to study at a professional institute (the only Higher Education i stitutes where you can study photography or fashion - for which a lower level of secobdary education is required) instead of a university (which in the Netherlands implies a research university). A study in Art History is possible at university level and would come closest.

I am not a fan of several of Amalia's choices either but I appreciate how they clearly get a lot of freedom in choosing clothing they feel comfortable in. Very different from their earlier years in which all three were dressed in exactly the same smock dresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially Emmanuel's tie was terrible imo. Very much a tie worn by older men who want to look young imo.

Royal children often wear business suits and ties on official occasions. I recall seeing it in the UK, Denmark, Spain (when Felipe was a teen for example), and even in Sweden (Carl Gustaf wore suit and tie as a kid and so did Carl Philip). So, it is hardly a Belgian thing. I don't know why some posters are surprised by the Belgian boys' attire. In fact, I couldn't imagine Gabriel and Emmanuel wearing anything other than a suit and tie on the National Day.

Last edited:
Elisabeth's look is my favourite, I think - she looks beautiful and has chosen one of Natan's better designs! I love the pairing of her electric blue accessories next to the dress. Eleonore's dress is lovely, too, and I really like the colour against her blonde hair.

Royal children often wear business suits and ties on official occasions. I recall seeing it in the UK, Denmark, Spain (when Felipe was a teen for example), and even in Sweden (Carl Gustaf wore suit and tie as a kid and so did Carl Philip). So, it is hardly a Belgian thing. I don't know why some posters are surprised by the Belgian boys' attire. In fact, I couldn't imagine Gabriel and Emmanuel wearing anything other than a suit and tie on the National Day.
Not sure why you quoted me :flowers: ; my concern was mainly with Emmanuel's tie itself that imo was a terrible choice of tie. We've seen them in suit from a young age, so a suit was indeed to be expected.

Eléonore's birthday portrait dress was a lighter shade of pink, today's dress is more fuchsia-like. I'm not really fond of Elisabeth's dress, the collar looks too matronly for her.

I have the same doubts about Elisabeth's dress, but like someone else said already, she manages to make it work somehow, and the choice of accessories helps rejuvenate the look.

As for the boys...if someone thinks it's odd to see boys in business suit, then they haven't been following royal families that much. "Normal" boys may not be wearing suits anymore as their Sunday best, but royals still do. And thank goodness!

Alexia is indeed very much into fashion. She even has her own fashion type Instagram account. Personally I am not a fan of all her 'posing', so I am hoping it's just a phase that will pass. Given that she is attending a Gymnasium (the highest level of secobdary school preparing for university) it would go against expectation if she would choose to study at a professional institute (the only Higher Education i stitutes where you can study photography or fashion - for which a lower level of secobdary education is required) instead of a university (which in the Netherlands implies a research university). A study in Art History is possible at university level and would come closest.

I am not a fan of several of Amalia's choices either but I appreciate how they clearly get a lot of freedom in choosing clothing they feel comfortable in. Very different from their earlier years in which all three were dressed in exactly the same smock dresses.

Does Alexia has her own instagram account? wow I did not know that, not I thought she was allow to have one! I did not know she was into fashion too. very interested. If she is into that and photography she might be able to peruse it because after all she is not the heir to the throne.

Does Alexia has her own instagram account? wow I did not know that, not I thought she was allow to have one! I did not know she was into fashion too. very interested. If she is into that and photography she might be able to peruse it because after all she is not the heir to the throne.
She does and so does Catharina-Amalia although she only post's nature pics.

The Belgian children during the fireworks on the Belgian National Day last night:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Last edited:
Sorry, Yes I meant
Maria Carolina and Maria Chiara of the Two Sicilies.
May be I used wrong the word fake, they are beautiful girls, very tall, very thin, like really models, but I think they dress too old for their age and some times even too sexy for my taste. But as somebody mention here they are socialite, and they are not public figures like the 3 Dutch princesses and the Belgium princess.

No it's my bad, I also reacted not right. Yes, I also find them not regal in all sense.

The Belgian children during the fireworks on the Belgian National Day last night:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Not sure about this look. Is it Natan too? I am not a fan of long sleeves and short hemline, especially with the empire waist....makes the dress look like a nightgown tbh.
As for the shoes I would have preferred something less elegant, like a square heel or wedges.
But she's young and beautiful, a fashion faux pas is clearly allowed :flowers:

I am also quite confused if I like it or not. The cloth looks like a night gown and it's so short.

I like Princess Elisabeth's daytime dress much better than her nighttime one. Neither the length nor material of the nighttime frock is flattering. Her hair & make-up are very pretty and age appropriate.

The print + the fabric + chest/waistline makes it look very middle-aged, sorry Lisa:sad:

Last edited:
Elisabeth looks lovely and is growing up fast. Her dress looks so lovely and light and a little floaty.

Now for the accessories, I think going for the rich, bright blue to pick up the touches of blue in her dress is quite a style pick however if she is old enough to wear high heels, I think she is old enough to wear a hat in church.

Her ensemble for the evening was very age-appropriate except I think the long sleeves were a little fussy at the wrist and, while I adore her gorgeous blood red heels, I would love to have seen her in shoes that were a lot more fun rather than heels that could have come out of any 30 plus royal lady's closet.

Last edited:
Now for the accessories, I think going for the rich, bright blue to pick up the touches of blue in her dress is quite a style pick however if she is old enough to wear high heels, I think she is old enough to wear a hat in church.

That what i wad thinkjing too about the hat. If you look to the UK Lady Louise who is younger then Elisabeth wears a hat/fascinator for Events like Trooping or the Christmas Service.

But then the belgian royals are not much hat wearers. Queen Fabiola seldom wore on and also Queen Paola often wore no hat.

Hmmm...I wonder if a pair of strappy high heels like the ones she wore earlier in the day would have made Elisabeth's night look more successful? There is something about it that is just not right.

I agree with the poster who says it looks look a bedtime garment...a "baby doll" nighttie.:ermm:

But she is only 17 and well on her way now to becoming one of the prettiest and most stylish princesses in Europe.;)

Yes over the years she has made a mark for her own style. She has her own style and I like it. But not this one.

I can see why some would think that Elisabeth's dress was like a night-gown last night; though I quite like it overall and she's wearing the perfect amount of makeup for her age and the occasion, too.

Oh I think Louise outfit is lovely. I hope the Earl and Countess will give the Viscount a much more decent outfit.

Princess Maria-Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies on the cover of Hello Monaco Magazine.

**https://www.instagram.com/p/B0QN4vNo1aQ/

Princess Maria-Carolina and Princess Maria-Chiara featured in the Summer-Autumn 2019 edition of HelloMonaco Magazine.

**https://www.hellomonaco.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IMG_0144_1_ed_after-final.jpg
**https://www.hellomonaco.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IMG_0209_2_ed_after-final.jpg

Louise looks lovely. I particularly like her skirt. So nice and summery.

Oh I think Louise outfit is lovely. I hope the Earl and Countess will give the Viscount a much more decent outfit.

What is wrong with James's outfit? Should he have more more formally attired or less?

I think he looks very nice. He is almost 12 years old and it was an official engagement for the family.

What is wrong with James's outfit? Should he have more more formally attired or less?

I think he looks very nice. He is almost 12 years old and it was an official engagement for the family.

No, the whole look is nice. And he looks handsome. I just feel like the trouser was a bit small.

The whole Wessex family looks nice. Louise is growing up to be a very self-assured young lady.

The photos are beautiful, I think this is completely different from I ue to see them

They are pretty girls, but I don't think they photograph especially well in this case. They lack that zing of personality, or character or depth that would make the camera love them. They look like pretty girls who are dressed up and posed a little awkwardly, but I don't see any charisma.

I think Lady Louise's outfit looks a little old for her - it's something I wouldn't be surprised to see her aunt Princess Anne wear. A cute little summer dress with some sandals would've been lovely. I hate to be so negative but I also think James could've done with a less formal outfit - I'm sure some shorts and a smart shirt would've been perfectly fine for this event? If the weather in Bristol was anything like the weather in London here today (which it looks like it was), he must've been quite hot in that suit.

Whilst Maria Carolina and Maria Chiara are beautiful girls, I don't necessarily agree with these types of photoshoots for their age. Sometimes I forget that they're 15 and 13!

The photos are beautiful, I think this is completely different from I ue to see them

They sure are beautiful but not photogenic. I think this photoshoot concept is so pull off but everything just don't seem to connect.

They are pretty girls, but I don't think they photograph especially well in this case. They lack that zing of personality, or character or depth that would make the camera love them. They look like pretty girls who are dressed up and posed a little awkwardly, but I don't see any charisma.

Indeed. It didn't leave a mark to me too. Well, after all, they are not professional models.

I think Lady Louise's outfit looks a little old for her - it's something I wouldn't be surprised to see her aunt Princess Anne wear. A cute little summer dress with some sandals would've been lovely. I hate to be so negative but I also think James could've done with a less formal outfit - I'm sure some shorts and a smart shirt would've been perfectly fine for this event? If the weather in Bristol was anything like the weather in London here today (which it looks like it was), he must've been quite hot in that suit.

Whilst Maria Carolina and Maria Chiara are beautiful girls, I don't necessarily agree with these types of photoshoots for their age. Sometimes I forget that they're 15 and 13!

At last somebody pointed out what I wanted to say. I think the Viscount could have worn another outfit or maybe a trouser his size.

Exactly. But I think the Bourbon-Two Sicilies princesses really loves the camera so much. They just want to pose.

Time to close this thread. The new one can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom