Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Lying-in-State, Edinburgh and London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The list from the CC:

The King and The Queen Consort
The Prince and Princess of Wales,
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex,
The Duke of York
Princess Beatrice, Mrs Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank and Mr Jack Brooksbank,
The Earl and Countess of Wessex
The Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor
Viscount Severn
The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
Mr Peter Phillips,
Mr and Mrs Michael Tindall
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
The Duke of Kent
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy
other Members of the Royal Family

Interestingly the list of those who followed the Coffin included the Earl Snowdon but neither he nor his sister were listed as attending, specifically, the events inside Westminster Hall.

I wonder if Lady Gabriella fainted because she is expecting? Just a nice thought in this time of sadness.

I wonder if Lady Gabriella fainted because she is expecting? Just a nice thought in this time of sadness.

Honestly, as a general rule, speculating about pregnancy is a really unkind thing to do. I know it’s off topic here and the mods will probably delete both these posts but try to remember that.

Signed,

Someone with health issues that people have unkindly attributed to pregnancy in the past

Oh goodness bless her. Hope she is alright.

I was watch a news clip and a soldier standing guard in Westminster Hall collapsed...just fell right down on his face.:ohmy:

Is it very warm in there, perhaps?

Sebastian Payne, Financial Times' Whitehall (Political) Editor described the atmosphere at The Queen's Lying-in-State in Westminster, after observing there for half-an-hour. It's good to hear that the The Queen's Lying-in-State was described as a "rare digital-free zone", because there is nothing worse than having smartphones hanging around whilst The Monarch's coffin present.

Sebastian Payne @SebastianEPayne
I spent half an hour observing The Queen's Lying-in-State from the reporter's box in Westminster Hall this afternoon. This is what it was like:
5:14 AM · Sep 15, 2022 ·Twitter Web App​

People bowing, making the sign of the cross, even blowing a kiss. :sad:

Yes was watching this late last night,people from all over Norway,Sweden,Hong Kong and so on.The BBC were speaking to them .

Do Anglicans make a sign of the cross or is it just Catholics?

Yes was watching this late last night,people from all over Norway,Sweden,Hong Kong and so on.The BBC were speaking to them .

Do Anglicans make a sign of the cross or is it just Catholics?

High Anglicans make the sign of the cross.

I was watch a news clip and a soldier standing guard in Westminster Hall collapsed...just fell right down on his face.:ohmy:

Is it very warm in there, perhaps?

It was very hot in there, as evidenced by the number of people using their service books as fans. I think that caused the high blush and shine on the royal ladies too.

HM The Queen: Lying-in-State

I'm watching the live coverage of the Lying-in-State on tube but I'm not seeing many kids visiting, why?

rip

So Queen Elizabeth could have had the Viaticum administered before dying?

No, the Queen died a Presbyterian because when in Scotland the monarch is a member of the Church of Scotland.

The Order of Service of today's Service of Thanksgiving to the Life of the Queen is available on royal.gov.uk.

I noticed that next to the reading by the First Minister (of Scotland I assume) the epistle reading is done by the Catholic archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh. The Gospel reading is done by the 'Primus' of the Scottish Episcopal Church - which was to be expected. But by including the Catholic archbishop as well they are making it more ecumenical. Another interesting participant was 'a Commonwealth student from Nigeria'. I wonder whether we will see more of such Commonwealth nods in the funeral next Monday.

The Catholic Church is the largest Church in Scotland, having twice the membership of the Church of Scotland, so it was only right that it's leader should be there. On the other hand, many were surprised to see the Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church taking part. Although it is the third largest Church in the country, it is tiny, with less than 20,000 communicant members. It's interesting to note that the Scottish Parliament has voted to end the ban on Catholics from succession to the throne.

The Scottish Parliament can vote what it likes. All of the realms - and Scotland isn't a realm, but part of a realm - have a law that says a Roman Catholic can't be the monarch. That law was past in the UK, Australia (and all six Aussie states), Canada, NZ and all the other realms as recently as 2015 when it was gazetted into law.

I'm watching the live coverage of the Lying-in-State on tube but I'm not seeing many kids visiting, why?

rip

I can't see parents bringing kids to queue for hours over night and also schools are back.

We might see more children over the weekend?

No, the Queen died a Presbyterian because when in Scotland the monarch is a member of the Church of Scotland.

I'm not familiar with Protestant rituals but do Protestants even receive last rites?

I'm not familiar with Protestant rituals but do Protestants even receive last rites?

In my experience, no. I grew up Catholic, so I'm more familiar with the sacrament of Extreme Unction, but it's always been my understanding that protestants don't view that as a sacrament, so they don't do it.

The Catholic Church is the largest Church in Scotland, having twice the membership of the Church of Scotland, so it was only right that it's leader should be there. On the other hand, many were surprised to see the Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church taking part. Although it is the third largest Church in the country, it is tiny, with less than 20,000 communicant members. It's interesting to note that the Scottish Parliament has voted to end the ban on Catholics from succession to the throne.

I had absolutely no idea that Scotland is a country where there is a Catholic majority.

I assumed it was overwhelmingly Protestant Church of Scotland.

According to the BBC, some people have already camped for Monday procession. :eek:

I had absolutely no idea that Scotland is a country where there is a Catholic majority.

I'm pretty sure it's a protestant majority. The Census of 2011 showed 16% Catholic and 32% Church of Scotland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_in_Scotland

Religious belief is on the decline as shown by the 2019 statistics produced by the Scottish Government ie over half of adults (56%) reported that they didn't belong to any religion.

Last edited:

Scotland has been overwhelmingly protestant since the C16th. The civil wars of the 1640s across the isles can be traced to a riot over Laudian (ie High Anglican) prayer books in St Giles Kirk Edinburgh where Her late Majesty lay recently at rest.

Catholic communities survived in remote locations & on certain Scottish Islands but many present day Scottish Catholics are the descendents of Irish arrivals over the last two centuries. Mostly in the Central Belt & particularly Glasgow.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the Queen could have been an Anglican and a Presbyterian at the same time as the two churches are very different from each other. You can't just change your religious thinking the minute you cross the border into another country.

All eight of Her Majesty’s grandchildren will take part in the vigil guarding the coffin it is now being reported.

William, Harry, Zara, Peter, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and James will stand in silence for fifteen minutes on Saturday night.

Harry will be allowed to be in uniform.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom