Crown Princess Mette-Marit diagnosed with chronic lung disease: October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no such talk yet, as her illness is slow progressing thankfully..

Unfortunately it will only prolong her life, and not cure her from her illness wich she has chronically (=for the rest of her life) in her body..

Thank you all for your responses.

A lung transplant has its own sets of challenges -but once recovered it will in essence cure her of the disease and the illness and she can go on to lead a normal life. Perhaps the discussion has taken place behind the scenes and we just don't know it. Perhaps she is on a lung transplant list already!

Could a lung transplant really cure her? I had no idea. There would of course be other problems but who wouldn't wish for her to live longer.

Princess Mette-Marit was diagnosed several years ago with pulmonary fibrosis. The recommendation for transplant is early after diagnosis. There is a lot we don't know about her disease including what the cause might be. Often time it is unknown or what is called IPF or idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

My own experience as a CCRN working with hearts, as well as harvesting organs, gives me only a general idea re: Mette-Marit's situation.

We don't know if transplant has ever been offered. Lung transplant survival rates are lower than other solid organ transplants (liver, heart, or kidneys) due to the fragility of the lungs.

I am very sympathetic and wish only the very best for Princess Mette-Marit.

American Lung Assoc:

Back
Top Bottom