Creating A Fictional Branch of the Spencer Family for a TV Character

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City
Durham
Country
United States
Hello.

I have created a television show, an hour-long drama with comedic elements (a.k.a. dramedy), which is primarily set in the mountains of North Carolina. The father of two of the main characters, Thomas Winston Spencer (age 60 in 2017), is an Englishman who attended Harvard to earn his Master's after having gotten his undergraduate degree from The London School of Economics and Political Science. He meets and falls in love with a local student, Maura Mary Quinn, who attends Boston College. They quickly marry and start a family. (The Troubles is part of her family background; her people are from Belfast and are members of the Winter Hill gang out of Boston, which supplies guns and money to the IRA. The fact that the man in her life is not only English but also Protestant is not coincidental.)

My reason for posting is to ask if anyone can give me a suggestion for his family lineage as he has always imagined himself capable of great things as a relative of Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill, a man he idolizes. Only I would prefer there be a wrinkle where he has had to earn his own way, so he can't be a very close relative, far enough removed that his family isn't wealthy (anymore?), but close enough that the Spencer family line is continuous. To avoid any possibility of unpleasantries, I'd of course have it be a fictional branch of the family.

I was thinking he'd be from one of the following, but am very open to suggestions: Liverpool, Manchester, Worthing, Blackpool, Southport, or Oxfordshire. Other than that, I would like suggestions for any details which would tie-in with the known characteristics of Mr. Churchill. As an example, he will be a Johnnie Walker drinker, but he is the sort who does not believe in adornment and such, so no mixed drinks, just a little water like the prime minister used to do. However, he likes the blue label version, a small self-indulgence he allows himself due to its connotations of having arrived financially (he makes a tidy sum as a money manager for international conglomerates) in spite of his poor upbringing.

I don't want him to try to act like he is Mr. Churchill, however, as he is very much his own man. So, it is more that he is inspired by the stories he heard growing up. Additionally, he has the belief that it is better to go without something than have an inferior version, so he has very few belongings, but will have spared no expense when it comes to the items he does buy. Put simply, he uses a quality of quantity approach. One example would be what kind of glass he drinks out of. This is harder to choose than I thought because a plain tumbler makes a certain sense, but I think maybe a bit of panache makes sense as well, so cut crystal, or perhaps an engraved Glencairn Glass instead?

Thank you in advance for any feedback/suggestions you are able to provide everyone. Cheers!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your writing endeavours. Hope it goes further.
I think this man would like the finer things in life when he could get them, so I do think he would drink whisky from a crystal glass, maybe have an occasional large cigar, (Xmas, birthdays.)

Could his grandfather perhaps be a paternal cousin of Lord Randolph Churchill’s who had maybe gone off the rails a bit as a young man, lost what money he had?

I suppose there could even be a fictional younger brother of Lord Randolph, who was this man’s great grandfather. His grandson had caused a scandal of some sort and so this man, his descendant, had to emigrate from London, originally Oxfordshire.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom