"Courtiers, The Hidden Power Behind The Crown" by Valentine Low (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Anne's been doing her own thing for years. I don't think there'd have been any problem with Harry and Meghan doing their own thing as long as they didn't overshadow Charles, Camilla, William and Kate, and as long as they treated staff with courtesy and respect. Harry was doing that with the Invictus Games, and there's no reason that he and Meghan couldn't also have taken up other good causes.

The idea of William, Kate, Harry and Meghan all working together as the Fab Four was never going to work long term, but there's no reason why Harry and Meghan couldn't have used their own energy and ideas, as long as they did so within the Royal Family framework. They just don't seem to have been happy doing that. Which is a great shame, because there are a lot of good causes which could have benefited from their involvement.
Yeah but there is no guarantee that the spares will be like Princess Anne, in addition to Harry, you also have Prince Andrew and Princess Margaret. To be sure and furthermore, Princess Anne has positives attributes and virtues, but she is also flawed and there are stories of not so great behavior from her but it has not had the resonance that it has had with other royals due to the lack of interest in her (IMO).

Last edited:
I think it's been made extremely clear in many books that William has had it thoroughly impressed on him that he's needed to have and keep his act together, not least of all by meeting frequently with the Queen, but also helped by being naturally responsible and reflective after his bratty initial five-year start or so as a small child. The brat torch passed to Harry, his lesser status, and his somewhat different temperament, but it's also rather heavily implied that everything he ever did wrong got reported simply because he's not William, or even instead of some of William's peccadilloes.

It's pretty difficult to raise your kids as ostensibly equal and yet not hold them to the same standards. It's just one more sad thing about all this, although it also seems like Meghan encourages many of Harry's worst qualities and vice-versa.
The reason why Harry’s mess is more commonly talked about is because Harry has more of a temper and he’s had a more troublesome past than William. William has made his mistakes, but his isn’t constant or as scandalous.

I think some part of it has lot to do with their childhood. Charles was the heir apparent since he's four and it came with huge privilege which leading to his demanding nature, as much as huge expectation which brought this trait of being hard to himself.

What differ William and Charles is their childhood. We know the story about William being his mother's confidant as young kids. He was exposed of those "horror" surrounding his parents marriage breakdown so he learnt about the worst part of being a royals the hard way. I don't blame him if he ends up tighten himself up which makes him appear to have more control (of himself). Luckily he met Catherine, who seems to make him loosen up a bit. (Honestly, between the three, IMO a boss like William is the scariest because when they snap, it would be atomic level of explosion. I had one like this. A big one explosion is always worse than several small ones).

As for Harry, as most posters have pointed out, he'd been cuddled and mostly protected, so in a way it's possible he sort if expected it would be extended to his wife (being cuddled and indulged) hence why he didn't seem to "prepare" her properly.
The last part of your comment is spot on. I’ve been thinking about that too. He expected the same thing for Meghan.

Princess Anne's been doing her own thing for years. I don't think there'd have been any problem with Harry and Meghan doing their own thing as long as they didn't overshadow Charles, Camilla, William and Kate, and as long as they treated staff with courtesy and respect. Harry was doing that with the Invictus Games, and there's no reason that he and Meghan couldn't also have taken up other good causes.

The idea of William, Kate, Harry and Meghan all working together as the Fab Four was never going to work long term, but there's no reason why Harry and Meghan couldn't have used their own energy and ideas, as long as they did so within the Royal Family framework. They just don't seem to have been happy doing that. Which is a great shame, because there are a lot of good causes which could have benefited from their involvement.

What an absolutely dispiriting prospect. To go on until late middle age when your niece and nephew(s) take the spotlight, just doing some things for charity, so long as you don’t overshadow your father, stepmother and your brother and his wife. And after that you can just fade into the sunset along with your causes on the back burner so your nephew can take over.

And Harry is supposed to have stated at around the time they left that he and Meghan would come forward with various ideas of doing things for causes and charities, only to be told by TPTB that this tour by the POW and his wife or these projects by the Cambridges had to come first, so there was never enough money, gaps in the schedule, etc etc left to do what they suggested. And they were told it could probably be considered in six months, or next year or….

Last edited:
I feel that spares in future will be given more flexibility if they want to partake in Royal work or not.

What an absolutely dispiriting prospect. To go on until late middle age when your niece and nephew(s) take the spotlight, just doing some things for charity, so long as you don’t overshadow your father, stepmother and your brother and his wife. And after that you can just fade into the sunset along with your causes on the back burner so your nephew can take over.

And Harry is supposed to have stated at around the time they left that he and Meghan would come forward with various ideas of doing things for causes and charities, only to be told by TPTB that this tour by the POW and his wife or these projects by the Cambridges had to come first, so there was never enough money, gaps in the schedule, etc etc left to do what they suggested. And they were told it could probably be considered in six months, or next year or….

Keywords: it's a monarchy, it doesn't operate on equality but hierarchy in which the heir is the priority. Charles gets a huge chunk of inheritance from his mother without paying death duty while his siblings get less and have to pay tax. How unfair!!!! But that's how it work. If it's about equality, then maybe we could have Charles as king of UK, Anne as Queen of Canada, Edward as king of Australia, and Andrew as king of Tuvalu.

I am not doubting that if Harry & Meghan no longer wanted to serve the nation and head off to generate independent wealth for themselves, they should be allowed to do so. It is just the way they went about doing it, lacking grace and dignity. Even now, around 32 months after announcing their intent to leave, the ongoing negative commentary from them does not stop.

It is a pity that they seem to think that they can only make money by saying bad things about his family and the institution of monarchy. One would have thought thay a bright, articualate person like Meghan would be able to build a career for herself focussed around a positive message of some sort. She could even have developed into a sucessor to Oprah if she wanted.

Last edited:
I feel that spares in future will be given more flexibility if they want to partake in Royal work or not.

Harry had the option to stay in the Army, but he chose not to. Or he could have done something like William did, working as an air ambulance pilot. I don’t know what else he could have done, but no-one made him become a full time working royal. Doing another job in the early years of marriage gives that extra privacy for the spouse to settle into working royal life, but Harry and Meghan opted to ‘hit the ground running”. Their choice. From what Valentine Low says, he wasn’t happy even before he got married, but he chose to stick with being a full time working royal.

IIRC Harry even said in one of his interviews that his father gave him the options of doing something different but he Harry couldn't come up with much that would work, things like rugby coach and fireman. The first he could have done but perhaps not the 2nd. The BRF were surprised that he wanted to take up official royal duties in 2015, before William and Kate did, there was talk in the press that Charles and HM would have been happy if Harry had stayed in for 20 years like Andrew to have something for himself.

If they had wanted to step back and do other things (which was their right) then I think they may have got more of a half in, half out. But they specifically wanted to make money off being royals.

IIRC Harry even said in one of his interviews that his father gave him the options of doing something different but he Harry couldn't come up with much that would work, things like rugby coach and fireman. The first he could have done but perhaps not the 2nd. The BRF were surprised that he wanted to take up official royal duties in 2015, before William and Kate did, there was talk in the press that Charles and HM would have been happy if Harry had stayed in for 20 years like Andrew to have something for himself.

If they had wanted to step back and do other things (which was their right) then I think they may have got more of a half in, half out. But they specifically wanted to make money off being royals.

When did H say this? I thought that back in the first year or so of ther marriage, there were a few reports in the paper that they might go to Africa,.. so presumably, if this is true, they were in talks with Charles and the queen about taking some time off royal work and getting away from the royal duties.... but the plans failed. Never heard of Harry saying that specific jobs - actual jobs, had been mentioned?

Keywords: it's a monarchy, it doesn't operate on equality but hierarchy in which the heir is the priority. Charles gets a huge chunk of inheritance from his mother without paying death duty while his siblings get less and have to pay tax. How unfair!!!! But that's how it work. If it's about equality, then maybe we could have Charles as king of UK, Anne as Queen of Canada, Edward as king of Australia, and Andrew as king of Tuvalu.

on the ohter hand, the younger chiildren might not get as much money but they got a lot less media attention after their dating years and could lead a private life when not on duty.

When did H say this? I thought that back in the first year or so of ther marriage, there were a few reports in the paper that they might go to Africa,.. so presumably, if this is true, they were in talks with Charles and the queen about taking some time off royal work and getting away from the royal duties.... but the plans failed. Never heard of Harry saying that specific jobs - actual jobs, had been mentioned?

I think that going to Africa and getting involved in some sort of conservation work might have worked really well for Harry. But it wouldn't have brought in big money, and, although the income from the money left to him by Diana must bring in more than enough to live on very comfortably, it seems to have been big money that he and Meghan were after when they left.

Getting back to the book --

I am curious to see if the book goes into courtiers' actions or non-actions in steering their principals away from undesirable company. I don't know if it was just good PR but the late Queen never seemed to have this problem. It has always been my impression that the Queen took advice from her senior staff, as well as being a prudent person herself.

So many negative stories about senior Royals in the past decade or so are because of unsavory individuals cozying up to a Royal. I hope Valentine Low explores the courtiers' roles in this.

Perhaps, but not anytime soon. You only have to look a the fuss around Charlotte to know her future.

There is a painful truth that everyone seems to ignore because it is so ingrained in the monarchy and that is the role of the spare. Spares were invariably encouraged to join the military and certainly not be sent to the front lines before the heir had not only married but had both an heir and spare himself.

The second to last (Bertie) married and had two girls but, such is life, Unfortunately, he had not even been trained as his fabulous brother and POW had and it was a supporting loving wife and family that had his back when the worst came to the worst. He became the King.

Princess Margaret's life was pretty restrictive until her sister had the obligatory heir and spare and then she had nothing. No path, no aim, nothing except marriage. Her life was not a happy one.

After that, I would have imagined that Andrew would have some foundation in real life but that was also not to be, he dutifully joined the Navy and became a Navy pilot and along came the Falklands war which he was able to take part with his peers and after twenty years he was now 'the redundant spare' and once redundant, was aimless.

Now Harry, obligingly joined the Army by choice and loved it. But by the time the tabloids finished his first deployment and he determinedly re-branched the Army Air Corp where he acquitted himself well. Unfortunately, after the war, the Army didn't know what to do with him as he was far older than the average Apache Pilot and the men he had initially trained with had served on the ground and been promoted. He was too old for his present slot and too junior an officer to mix easily with his former peers. Needless to say, he baled on a made-up job in Whitehall pushing paper.

But, as with his predecessors, he was out of the army with only one avenue in which he had any experience so he told his family he was ready to become a working royal. Little did he know that there was little interest in the BRF for that as William was not yet a working royal and I guess that was not a good look so he was surplus to requirements in the British Royal Family until his brother joined them and so Harry was unprepared and untrained to live a life outside of either. Instead of encouraging him to do or start anything on his own, he was pushed out as the third wheel to his brother and sister-in-law.

The only thing that could not be taken from him like the foundation he and William had set up, was Sentabale and I believe that was only because it involved African royalty and the Invictus Games.

Taking a back seat to William was one thing, but being stopped from making his own way within the parameters the BRF had established created ill feelings that came to a head when he presented MM as his future bride. While he had, accepted and fully embraced Catherine it was not unreasonable to expect that his brother and best friend would do the same. He did not. The rest, as they say, is history but reasons, causes, lack of planning and ruthless execution of their aims, would Valentine Low ever acknowledge that a monarchy run by Courtiers will inevitably spell an end to the BRF and the UK as a Constitutional Monarchy?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/21/prince-harry-afghanistan

Taking a back seat to William was one thing, but being stopped from making his own way within the parameters the BRF had established created ill feelings that came to a head when he presented MM as his future bride. [/url]

What exactly is it that Harry is supposed to have been stopped from doing? What is it that's supposed to have been taken from him? He was involved in various different projects, some of them solo, some of them alongside William and Kate. The work he was doing was important, e.g. when he took an HIV test to encourage others to do the same. What was he stopped from doing?

Last edited:
What exactly is it that Harry is supposed to have been stopped from doing? What is it that's supposed to have been taken from him? He was involved in various different projects, some of them solo, some of them alongside William and Kate. The work he was doing was important, e.g. when he took an HIV test to encourage others to do the same. What was he stopped from doing?

I'm curious to know this as well. For years Prince Harry had solo projects such as Sentebale and The Invictus Games that were his alone as well as several patronages. If the Palace was truly focused on "stopping" him, these would have never been launched in the first place.

You made me think about all this of years ago, and I tend to agree with you. I don't believe they tried to stop him from doing what he wanted at that time. Shame things went upside down later. Harry could have accomplished much if things developed differently. Shame his head was turned.

Harry is supposed to have said that for much of the time he and Meghan would suggest ideas and projects they thought would be good and useful for their charities and causes and would get them turned down.

There would be time constraints, scheduling, and money costs that TPTB would put forth as reasons not to go ahead as those by Charles and Camilla and the Cambridges would almost always take priority and theirs would be pushed aside as ‘well, maybe next year.’ The Sussexes lost heart.

Harry is supposed to have said that for much of the time he and Meghan would suggest ideas and projects they thought would be good and useful for their charities and causes and would get them turned down.

There would be time constraints, scheduling, and money costs that TPTB would put forth as reasons not to go ahead as those by Charles and Camilla and the Cambridges would almost always take priority and theirs would be pushed aside as ‘well, maybe next year.’ The Sussexes lost heart.

Perhaps. Though I don’t consider Harry a great source.

After about 3 years though, I don’t see much evidence that they had a real, concrete plan or a clear vision - for philanthropy or for earning their own income. They seem to have had big ideas. That’s about it.

Thank you for posting. It is very interesting but this section relies a lot on anonymous sources. I'm uncomfortable with launching such a serious attack using unnamed sources because it is hard to disprove, if the person is innocent. On the other hand, Harry and Meghan have made very vague attacks on the royal family that are hard to disprove.

Good point! Every time I get the PC started and lands on the MSN homepage the so-called news are just an array of clickbait's attempts. For example these headlines that led to nonsense made up texts from a source called my London news:

headlines that start with
The real reason why...
Palace insiders confirm...
Expert sources reveal...

The ___ World reacts to... This one changes daily adding the word NFL (USA Football), MLB (baseball) depending on the made-up story
Why Queen Elizabeth II's Official Cause Of Death Is Stirring Up Controversy?
Queen Elizabeth's dead confirms what we suspected
etc

And so on. So, when I see anonymous sources, palace insiders, et al my first take is this was made up or concocted at one of the (Murdoch owned) tabloids or offices to keep piling up trash-for-sale. Remember the tabloid rules, in order to sell a lie, you need the public to create a rivalry or good vs evil one between royals, politicians, nations etc.

I recall a former King Charles III employee during the funeral news coverage (I believe in USA's CNN) trashing Charles on TV about having him pick up something that fell on a trash bin next to the then Prince and the disgruntle ex-employee repeating the prince can't do anything by himself, etc. I don't believe this but that says a lot about the insiders and unnamed sources credibility

Last edited:
I haven’t heard any specific example of a project suggested by the Sussexes which was turned down. They’ve done so much complaining about everything that I’m sure we’d have heard about it if it were indeed the case. I’m not aware that Valentine Low says anything about their ideas being rejected, and they don’t seem to have started new projects since leaving. I don’t get the impression that Low says anything about anyone’s particular projects or charities.

Last edited:

Given Meghan was only a working royal for 18 months including time off around the birth of Archie, to most it would be apparent that she clearly did not persevere at trying to get her projects done.

Given Meghan was only a working royal for 18 months including time off around the birth of Archie, to most it would be apparent that she clearly did not persevere at trying to get her projects done.

Neither has she done anything to date either. They get involved in other events and I suppose she has the podcast now. Archewell doesn’t do much but make donations…high any rich person can do. It hasn’t start anything itself or anything.

They like turning up giving speeches. Fair enough. But a I haven’t seen any evidence of any burning desire to run a passion project…obvious exception being the Invictus Games.

What I learnt from my training is in proposing a project/setting goal, it has to be SMART as in Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. If not, it would just wasting money and resources. Do we know if this rejected idea of Harry was rejected/sided aside because his position as 2nd son or because those idea didn't fulfil those criteria? Oh wait, you've even mentioned "time constraint" so there, the "Timely" is unchecked.

Throughout my career, I had a lot of proposed ideas which were shelved my boss for that reason (of course in my mind, it was a good idea that's why proposed it to my boss).

I'm sure even for Charles and William, it won't be just "I have this great idea so give me money" and telling their staff to "make it happen". They might have many ideas getting shelved and never realised.

Back to Harry, I honestly still wonder why they gave Travalist a go. For one, its goal/objective is too vague (hence doesn't fulfil the "Specific" requirement). And what happen to it now?

From the book extract:
Ever the man of action, Harry would constantly be throwing out ideas, which his team would try and turn into reality.

‘He is the kind of guy who has ten ideas a day, nine of which are totally bonkers, but one of which is actually pretty good.’ (One of his great ideas was the Invictus Games, a Paralympic-style event for injured servicemen and women.)

Last edited:
Travalyst is still active but nothing has ever come of it and the website is world salad, which is immediately worrying. Even when you go onto "Our Work" you get nothing:

https://travalyst.org/accommodation-v1/

Meghan had several solo projects during her short time as a working royal. She had Together - which I still like - and her capsule collection for Smart Works which had a more mixed reaction as an effective tool for the charity but she was allowed to do.

Their entire tour of SA was designed to highlight their interests and charitable work, as well as seeing if it was a viable option to live there for a few years. They were even able to take a documentary crew to showcase themselves and their work.

Given that their only real projects are either talking about the BRF or projects that they were already doing inside the BRF (for free) like Heart of Invictus I can't believe that they had amazing ideas that were turned down out of jealousy or because he's not the heir.

It seems true that he had William butted heads over things like William being given TUSK but that didn't stop Harry's work with Sentebele or other work in various African countries.

I suspect any projects given a very firm "no" were party political ones like Meghan lobbying US congress to pass a specific Bill. Given that making money seems to be a big concern for them perhaps they wanted to get paid for documentaries and be sponsored by luxury brands on engagements or suggested that they host a "The Real Crown" for Netflix.

Some more extracts from the book:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertain...A12wEAF?cvid=64f2059e49a340249b4f046a7ec63280

In an extract of his book, Courtiers: The Hidden Power Behind the Crown, shared by the MailOnline, royal correspondent Valentine Low writes: “The day after the documentary [the Tom Brady interview] aired, William WhatsApped his brother to ask if he could come and see him.

Initially, Harry was in favour. Then he spoke to his brother again, and asked him whom he would tell. William explained that he'd have to clear his schedule, which would mean telling his private secretary. At that point, Harry told him: Don't come.

“He was so concerned that William's team would leak the visit to the Press that he would rather not see his brother than risk it getting into the papers.”

OK adds:

https://www.ok.co.uk/royal/prince-harry-meghan-markle-news-28130279

Valentine Low's Courtiers: The Hidden Power Behind The Crown, discusses Meghan's interview with Vanity Fair in October that year.

"The interview was, in effect, Meghan’s big launch," it reads.

"The couple were not officially engaged — though everyone in Kensington Palace knew they had been privately engaged since the late summer — but this was Meghan putting herself out there in a confident, pro-active way."

So Low is claiming that:
1. William held out an olive branch to Harry, which Harry rejected.
2. Meghan and Harry became engaged several months before there was an official announcement.

Last edited:
Some more extracts from the book:

So Low is claiming that:
1. William held out an olive branch to Harry, which Harry rejected.
2. Meghan and Harry became engaged several months before there was an official announcement.

If this second bit is true, it really just is astounding how fast the relationship moved.

From that first meeting to the announcement of a serious public relationship (and an admonition to the media) was only four months. They met in July 2016, just after or during the end of her serious live-in relationship with Cory Vitello. The announcement of the relationship and Meghan as a serious girlfriend was November 2016.

They would have been engaged by July or August 2017 if this book excerpt is correct, just a year after meeting and after a mostly long-distance relationship. (And he was bringing her to events like Pippa Middleton’s wedding by May 2017.)

That’s just… an awfully accelerated courtship and this extract confirms my earlier thoughts that they rushed this.

:previous: Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was Charles and William who didn't want to meet with Harry for fear of it ending in the media yet Harry's fear of exactly that pre-dated their actual leaving. It is no wonder everyone is paranoid if they have to explain themselves to their Private Secretaries before they spend time with their family members.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at that time Harry and Meghan were being slaughtered by the media who were citing inside information for their columns. That would have to make Harry wonder but, if William had really cared about Harry's state of mind he could have just told his PS to clear a morning, afternoon or evening and be done with it, and if necessary telling his PS what he was going to spend his time doing was none of his damned business.

And lo and behold, writers like Low and others have, since Prince Philip's death, insisted that both Charles and William felt to same and used the same excuse about media leaks. Funny that. The BRF put the "dys" in dysfunctional and is an appalling example of what 'family' is. My family gets on, squabbles, and gets a bad case of the irrits with each other but god help any outsider that says anything amiss. Family comes first always otherwise it ceased to function.

:previous: Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was Charles and William who didn't want to meet with Harry for fear of it ending in the media yet Harry's fear of exactly that pre-dated their actual leaving. It is no wonder everyone is paranoid if they have to explain themselves to their Private Secretaries before they spend time with their family members.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at that time Harry and Meghan were being slaughtered by the media who were citing inside information for their columns. That would have to make Harry wonder but, if William had really cared about Harry's state of mind he could have just told his PS to clear a morning, afternoon or evening and be done with it, and if necessary telling his PS what he was going to spend his time doing was none of his damned business.

And lo and behold, writers like Low and others have, since Prince Philip's death, insisted that both Charles and William felt to same and used the same excuse about media leaks. Funny that. The BRF put the "dys" in dysfunctional and is an appalling example of what 'family' is. My family gets on, squabbles, and gets a bad case of the irrits with each other but god help any outsider that says anything amiss. Family comes first always otherwise it ceased to function.
those alleged feelings of William and Charles were claimed by Gayle King days after PP funeral. I just think it’s that has mostly Harry has felt paranoid in some certain situations.
I don’t know the dynamics of the BRF and their secretaries so I can’t comment on that.

The difference between H&M vs the alleged leaks by staff are that H&M directly do it and over exaggerate certain things whereas with staff, we don’t actually know who actually did or didn’t do it. Some writers and journalists make up or claim things that might make sense to readers. Plus unlike H&M, members of the BRF don’t directly leak things.

Back
Top Bottom