Charles and Diana Picture Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This topic has run its course. Closed.

With the Duke of Marlborough at an event at Blenheim Palace . Does anyone have more information on that evening?

John Scott, in "Diana Princess of Wales" by H.Montgomery-Massingberd
European Summit at Buckingham Palace, 1981. Diana's blouse is a dusty rose color.
Majesty magazine
July 26, 1982
Majesty magazine
Christmas at Windsor, 1982
Photographers International in Majesty mag.
I know the quality of the following pictures is mediocre but I thought you would enjoy them. If anyone has better quality substitutes that would be great and I will delete these.
Garden Party at Buckingham Palace, 1983.
Rex Features, in Majesty mag.
After the lengthy tour of Australia and New Zealand, they headed for a vacation in Eleuthera, Bahamas. Here they are returning to England, May 11, 1983
Majesty magazine

Last edited:
such a beautiful, graceful & humanitarian woman, I hope her sons mary an equally great lady who continues the essence of a modern monarchy:)

Lady Jean,
Thanks for that great collection of pictures! I am curious about the last one you posted, where she is coming down the stairs. She wore that dress in Canada or Australia in 83 and I am just wondering if she has her sleeves pushed up to her elbows. The original dress is long sleeved!

The second dress from the bottom is interesting. I am thinking that is when she first went barelegged in public. Am I correct?

Thanks for your help. And please keep posting!
Tenngirl

Hmm, good questions. It looks to me like she just pushed up the sleeves on the yellow dress (although that looks uncomfortable.) I think the last time she wore a yellow coatdress w/ruffle at the neck in public (before 5/11) was April 19, and it definitely had long sleeves. The description in the Fashion Diary says "half-length" sleeves for the May 11 appearance - I don't know if they didn't have a clear picture either, or if the dress was altered, or if there were two of the same dress w/different sleeves. On the Canadian tour in June 1983 she wore a long sleeved one. What do you think?
Yes, the peach dress was supposedly the first time she went bare-legged. Once she started she never stopped, she was frequently that way!
As usual I'm digging around for more pictures. Those were the cream of the crop so far. Thanks for the compliments. :)

Last edited:
Lady Jean,

In case you're still wondering about the photo in your Post #77 at Blenheim Palace: This was a chamber music concert on November 1, 1981. That was the evening of the same day as the christening of Lord and Lady Romsey's son Nicholas. Squidgy has a photo from the christening on the Diana's Godchildren thread (Post #41).

What I find interesting is that both outfits Diana wore that day are dark purple -- the aubergine velvet suit for the christening, and the striped purple taffeta gown for the concert.

Umbrellagirl, Excellent info, thank you. Now what I find most interesting is she wore the aubergine suit to the christening so soon after its appearance on the tour of Wales on Oct 29!

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. From Thursday to Sunday -- only three days later!

That suit was one of her very favorites. She wore it over and over again in the early years.

I think it was so pretty in Wales. She just looked like a fairy tale Princess!! The collar really set it off.

Wasn't the dress off the peg, too? If that is true, that is so amazing. I am surprised that no one ever showed up in the same outfit!

great photos! thanks for posted it, I think they were happy time in time, I see the ideo of the buckingham interview in 1981 thae were with the hand togheter and charles playing with diana's fingers

Many pictures taken during polo matches where the couple looked full of complicity :

(All from Corbis)
A few days before the wedding (Charles is talking to... a little dog ?!)
http://pro.corbis.com/images/PY001815.jpg?size=67&uid={3aa69e80-7328-4b81-bcd7-51497cfe4d5a}

In June, 6th 1982, Charles offers the winning trophy to Diana
http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000186872-005.jpg?size=67&uid={9f6b1439-4029-4254-9d51-ee76f1344404}

Here in June, 7th 1984 after the match
http://pro.corbis.com/images/AADS002770.jpg?size=67&uid={e6917860-e004-4abd-af1a-dbeb5d7c4ef7}

June, 30 1985 (sweet picture, they seem very happy)
(from GettyImages)
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/56800108.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=B29FDE601AC0C35CDE81ECE2603C7551

Again in June, 29th 1988 (Charles kissing Diana's hand)
http://pro.corbis.com/images/AADS002984.jpg?size=67&uid={96709604-086e-4a54-970b-81da013af823}

The earlier ones seemed genuiene but the last one seemed stage.

You know looking back at these photos it is remarkable how young Charles looked. You expected Diana to look that young but never Charles.

He was 33 years old when they married and that seemed so old at the time but he looked much younger than 33. Now I'm several years older than that so 33 seems positively young to me now! :lol:

ysbel said:
You know looking back at these photos it is remarkable how young Charles looked. You expected Diana to look that young but never Charles.

He was 33 years old when they married and that seemed so old at the time but he looked much younger than 33. Now I'm several years older than that so 33 seems positively young to me now! :lol:

Your soo right Ysbel. Looking back at those pictures Charles looked very young and had a full head of hair back then. :)

ysbel said:

I agree with you that Charles looked younger than 33. He began to look his age during the troubled years of his marriage. It had a wearing affect on him, yet Diana seemed to glow, perhaps due to her manipulation of men and others as she used her position and looks to gain power.

HRH Kimetha said:
I agree with you that Charles looked younger than 33. He began to look his age during the troubled years of his marriage. It had a wearing affect on him, yet Diana seemed to glow, perhaps due to her manipulation of men and others as she used her position and looks to gain power.
Okay lets not get too carried away with our own opinions of Diana alright.
And yes Charles looked very young and had a full honk of hair on his head during the earlier years of the marriage.

I agree, this one is really nice Avalon :wub: .
It's better to see them like this. This summer I'm going to remember Diana of course but I will have a thought for Charles. We have a tendency to forget that she was his wife for 15 years; he must have been destroyed by her death even if they were separated....

Please remember this is a Picture thread for Charles and Diana, not a place to discuss the Charles/Diana relationship (of which we all may have different opinions) and least of all, to find the guilty part.

A couple of posts, which had no relevance to the topic of this thread were deleted.

Thank you for co-operation,
Avalon, British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
HRH Kimetha said:
Or perhaps because she was 12 years younger, had the money to spend on the best skin care, and knew how to use makeup. It's probably just as simple as that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom