Bulgarian Royal Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose they must be. These years have been very good for tiara selling (collecting great prices), so I don't expect the offers to have been so disappointing that they were withdrawn from sale. A great pity, esp. the floral parure is magnificent, as so many pieces of the Savoy jewellers were!

Last edited:
Such a shame that they seem to have sold almost all their tiaras. Can't imagine that they need the money

Sadly no. It has been sold and at some point entered the Albion Art Institute's collection.
But the good news is that it still exists and will be featured in a book on the collection, as revealed by Vincent Meylan

Sadly no. It has been sold and at some point entered the Albion Art Institute's collection.
But the good news is that it still exists and will be featured in a book on the collection, as revealed by Vincent Meylan
Its sad that it was sold off as it was a majestic looking tiara!

Strange the Link doesn't work for me. Had already noticed that the Instagram from Vincent Meylan doesn't work for me.

So the Bulgarian royal family must have sold all the tiaras they had. It's a shame.

It seems they have sold it all, apart from some trinklets maybe. What a pity. Perhaps there have been some financial issues that forced them to sell?

It seems they have sold it all, apart from some trinklets maybe. What a pity. Perhaps there have been some financial issues that forced them to sell?
How about a years-long court case fighting against the Bulgarian state?

Last edited:
How about a year-long court case against the Bulgarian state?
There is also the maintenance of the Vrana Palace, for example. But it's a shame they sold all the tiaras.

Unlike the Greeks the don't really attend Gala's and as such probably don't need them.
Tsarita Margarita doesn't really dress up much either and seems to wear just plain outfits.

The jewels were sold several years ago.
The family also had to bear very significant expenses after Kardam's accident. His house in Madrid was renovated to adapt it to his needs and they had to pay for treatments and staff to look after him 24 hours a day.

I suppose the jewels have been sold long before the renovation of the Madrid house and are not related to the maintenance of Vrana and Tsarska Bistrista.
I think the only significant jewels spotted on the Queen in recent years are a pair of ruby earrings and a large bow with (topaz) pendant. They might still have Queen Giovanna's pearl bandeau and the rather awkward floral/button tiara Miriam wore in Denmark in 2004.
Mods: please feel free to move to the appropriate thread

I always assumed the ex-King was a very wealthy man, being a businessman in Spain and with all the returned properties. But the properties need investments of course and there was indeed a long court case. If the tiara was indeed sold to pay for the treatment of the late prince Kyrill, that is a sad but most worthy reason for selling.

Alternatively as a businessman he may prefer to divest from dead assets such as jewels to more profitable ones such as stock or real estate. Especially as his wife seems to have little interest in the jewels and has a more modest taste.

Personally I thought the diamond flower parure of Queen Giavanna was actually the 'best' item that the family had, it is one of the most succesful floral tiaras around IMO.

There will be many Bulgarian weddings in the near future, perhaps we will get to see photos of a few of them and then we can assess if the pearl bandeau tiara is still with the family.

The Fleur de Lys tiara was used I think by Margarita and her sister in law ,Princess Marie Louise as Wedding tiaras.
It would be nice if the BRF had at least one tiara at their disposal.

I suppose they have kept at least one tiara to use for wedding and as a remnant of their royal past.
Indeed, the FdL tiara hasn't been seen since the late 1960's/early 1970's. With few occasions to wear tiaras in the meantime and 5 children to provide for, selling a large chunk of the family heirlooms kinda makes sense.
We know that the floral tiara, the scroll tiara and collet necklaces have been sold. The ones unaccounted for are the pearl bandeau and the smaller floral tiara worn by Miriam in Copenhagen. Also the large ruby necklace from Princess Marie-Louise.

As far as tiaras for future generation go, at least the main line will have at their disposal the Frankenstein tiara Miriam wore in Luxembourg. It was made from jewels she had inherited from her own family.

Back
Top Bottom