British Royal Family Current Events 11: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that both Beatrice and Eugenie will be full royals on the deaths or retirement of the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexander. Charles is simply allowing them to spend time with their family now - young families and all before gentling ushering them in as royals. However within 5 years they will be in the line up.

They will never be working royals.

Why is trooping colour not happening tomorrow, it's always been the second Saturday in June with very rare exceptions?

From 1979-2017, it was always on the Saturday between the 11th and 17th, so sometimes on the third Saturday. It was earlier in 2018 and 2019 (and 2022 for the Jubilee), but I think that was to avoid overtaxing the late Queen before Royal Ascot.

I believe that both Beatrice and Eugenie will be full royals on the deaths or retirement of the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexander. Charles is simply allowing them to spend time with their family now - young families and all before gentling ushering them in as royals. However within 5 years they will be in the line up.

It feels like Beatrice is getting a lit bit of a soft launch recently and I support it. She is a truly lovely lady and would be a great representative for the UK and the BRF. I don't see Eugenie going down that road though, it seems like her and her husband really enjoy their current set up and freedoms.

They will never be working royals.

Never say never.

Looking forward to the Kings first Trooping!

It feels like Beatrice is getting a lit bit of a soft launch recently and I support it. She is a truly lovely lady and would be a great representative for the UK and the BRF. I don't see Eugenie going down that road though, it seems like her and her husband really enjoy their current set up and freedoms.

Never say never.

Looking forward to the Kings first Trooping!

I'm in the Never say Never camp. Let's face it, the King and Queen are in their 70's. Anne is in her 70's. The cousins are in their late 70's/80's.

For the next 10-20 years that leaves only William, Kate, Edward, and Sophie. That's not nearly enough people to cover any significant territory/organiations, etc ... I think it's inevitable that Beatrice and Eugenie are included -- at some level -- in the mix of working royals.

From observation I would say, only Bea would be a WR, not Eugenie. But I tend more to say it's more likely not happening.

I think *perhaps* Beatrice might be possibly being considered.

We don't know what the health might be of ANY of the now working Royals short term prospects are...... anyway.

Since Beatrice met Eduardo, she has really grown in my estimation. She looked lovely at The Jordanian Royal Family Wedding last weekend. The only blip for her in my eyes is that she was involved in the pre interview "negotiations" with Andrew and Emily Maitlis for the debacle Interview. Poor girl.

They are making a movie about it called "Scoop". Unfortunately, they even cast actress Charity Wakefield as Princess Beatrice in it.

I think Eugenie is a non starter though.

Last edited:
The third option is to wait until George has finished his education and military training in about 20 years and Charlotte the same (or not let one or both of them even have any post-school education or life). William didn't become a full-time working royal until he was 35. If George is given that same time frame it is a quarter of a century until a new working royal will join the roster full-time. I suspect he will be working as a royal from age 18 with education and military training as a secondary part of his life ... as it was for Charles rather than as it was for William

William was an exception due to the unusually good health and longevity of QEII. As you say, the three Wales children won’t have the same luxury - they will simply have to start mixing royal duties with post-secondary education, in line with what the young heirs in various European monarchies are doing now. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable expectation that by the time George is 20 he starts to undertake a light programme of royal engagements, none of which need interfere with university or military training. The same for Charlotte and Louis. So that means they’ve got 10-12 years before the next generation of royals starts making a substantive contribution, which isn’t nothing but shouldn’t lead to any sort of crisis, particularly if Charles, Anne and Edward are blessed with their parents’ good health.

And what if Charlotte and/or Louis don’t want to join the royal roster and perform royal duties for the rest of their active lives? What if, at the age of 18 to 20 they decide to have a private life and career that they love?

The era of moving young royals around like pawns on a chess board simply they are there or because relatives are getting older and they are ‘needed’ by the monarch will be almost certainly well and truly over in another decade or so. Or should be.

And what's to guarantee that private life and career won't end up in conflict like Edward's and Sophie's did?

Someone must be looking into the feasibility and practicality somewhere, no?

There are lots of examples of arrangements that work and that don't work, so yes, it will be important to discuss the various options with them and honor the commitment on both sides afterwards.

Personally, I would hope that they will mostly be able to have a normal student life with very few royal engagements (as even the direct heirs have in other countries) - although it will be necessary to discuss their future early on so they can take that into account when deciding which degree/schooling to pursue.

I find it extremely implausible that either the York or Edinburgh offspring will be called upon as working royals at any time in the foreseeable future. Looking at the other European kingdoms, even all adult siblings of the monarch or heir to the throne either have been fully excluded or retired from royal duties (Margarita, Elena and Cristina of Spain, Irene of the Netherlands, Marie-Christine and Esmeralda of Belgium, Margaretha, Birgitta, Désirée and Christina of Sweden, Anne-Marie of Denmark, Märtha Louise of Norway) or, if they remain official working royals, have been reduced to a more or less minor role (Margriet and Constantijn of the Netherlands, Astrid and Laurent of Belgium, Carl Philip and Madeleine of Sweden, Benedikte and Joachim of Denmark, Astrid of Norway). None continue to involve cousins in official duties beyond the occasional family event. Nothing about the British monarchy or British culture insulates them from the same influences that have already caused the reductions in working royal families in the other major European monarchies.

The point still stands that the message for a "slimmed-down monarchy" was geared to say that any grandchildren of the monarch will not become working royals, regardless of their titles.

The Wessex children were never expected to be working royals - hence no royal titles from the get-go.

Iluvbertie is correct. The official message in 1999 was that the children of Prince Edward would not receive royal titles because they were not expected to be working royals.

In a modernising touch, the couple's children will not be given the style His or Her Royal Highness, "but would have courtesy titles as sons or daughters of an earl".

The decision reflects "the clear personal wish of Prince Edward and Miss Rhys-Jones as being appropriate to the likely future circumstances of their children," said a spokeswoman before Saturday's wedding.​

BBC NEWS | Special Report | 1999 | 06/99 | royal wedding | Wessex titles for Edward and Sophie

(Of course the fact that the Sussex children, who are in the same position, received royal titles in spite of not being expected to become working royals throws doubt on that explanation, but that was what was announced in 1999.)

Last edited:
Did any of the Royal family attend the Derby this year?

Did any of the Royal family attend the Derby this year?

Zara and Mike attended.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashi.../zara-tindall-striped-dress-epsom-races-2023/

Charles isn't really into horse-racing although Camilla has been known to attend events.

The ones who are most keen on horse racing now are Zara and Mike.

It will be interesting to see how many royals, and on what days. attend Ascot this year.

I suspect Charles and Camilla will attend at least the first two days as they did last year but more minor royals on the other days if any.

Zara and Mike attended.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashi.../zara-tindall-striped-dress-epsom-races-2023/

Charles isn't really into horse-racing although Camilla has been known to attend events.

It will be interesting to see how many royals, and on what days. attend Ascot this year.

I suspect Charles and Camilla will attend at least the first two days as they did last year but more minor royals on the other days if any.

I suspect the Prince & Princess of Wales will attend one day at Ascot, as they now seem to do.

Zara and Mike attended.

I hope the working royals thing gets dropped for Royal Ascot at least, sheesh!

I hope the working royals thing gets dropped for Royal Ascot at least, sheesh!

I am sure those members of the BRF that want to attend will be present at Ascot, working royals or not.

The Prince of Wales attended a screening of RHINO MAN, hosted by United 4 Wildlife, at Battersea Power Station this evening, June 13. The Duchess of Edinburgh, who also has a strong interest in wildlife protection, accompanied him:
Here's a video from the screening

Interestingly at the beginning her reign Elizabeth II listed all the royals who attended Royal Ascot with her but at some point it changed. I haven't got that far yet in my analysis of her reign so I don't know when it stopped. Same as who attended events e.g. for George VI's funeral and her coronation only The Queen, The Queen Mother, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Princess Margaret were listed while at later funerals and Charles' coronation a full listing of British royals was made.

King Charles accompanied by Princess Anne presented the new Sovereign's Standard to The Blues and Royals during a ceremony at Buckingham Palace today, June 15.

So nice to see them side by side!

** gettyimages gallery ** pa images gallery **

Meanwhile the Duchess of Edinburgh, Grand President of St John Ambulance was invested as a Dame Grand Cross of the Order of St John by the Duke of Gloucester, Grand Prior, during a ceremony at Buckingham Palace today. The Duchess of Edinburgh was promoted last year by Queen Elizabeth II.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Last edited:
Wooo Anne sporting Charles' cypher on her epaulettes showing she is indeed a personal aide-de-camp to her brother!

Not a surprise. I would have been surprised if Anne, William, Edward and probably Richard and the other Edward aren't Aides-de-Camp to Charles III. Andrew won't be of course.

I would love to see Tim so appointed but I don't think Charles would do that.

Not a surprise. I would have been surprised if Anne, William, Edward and probably Richard and the other Edward aren't Aides-de-Camp to Charles III. Andrew won't be of course.

I would love to see Tim so appointed but I don't think Charles would do that.

William and Edward are: his cypher has been seen on their shoulders.

While the duke of Kent has been an PAC(D) to Elizabeth II for over 50 years, it seems the duke of Gloucester never had that role, so it seems unlikely that he will be given it now. It will indeed be interesting to see whether Tim will also be appointed by Charles after serving queen Elizabeth in that role for 18 years.

Last edited:
Nice to see the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh and Gloucester in attendance also :previous:

Not surprising. The Duke of Gloucester regularly presented the award when it was named The Queen's Award for Enterprise. He would visit the recipient and present it at the workplace. The Duke of Kent also regularly presented these Awards. The Princess Royal and The Duke of Edinburgh did so but less regularly.

The first Holyrood week of the new reign ,its all very strange minus the late queen!

Back
Top Bottom