Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Yes, apart from the garden behind the palais M&F live in, they only have a private balcony.

However, very, very few families living in Copenhagen city have a garden for themselves. Even those living in very expensive flats.

Are there any pictures of this back yard space?

Patra said:
Are there any pictures of this back yard space?

Courtesy of google maps.

Attachments

• image-1875996224.jpg
    image-1875996224.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 282
:previous: I'm afraid Grandduchess that M&F's garden has been cut away in the Google view.
M&F's manor is the one with the purple dot.

Last edited:
There seem to be at least 4 residences, who lives in the other 3? Is it like Kensington palace where various members of the rf and staff live in different palatial homes in one main residence?

:previous:

The four Palaces which make up Amalienborg have different purposes:

Christian VII's Palace - Used for official receptions/etc
Christian VIII's Palace - Apartments of Prince Joachim and family when they are in Copenhagen; houses the Amalienborg Museum (I think Princess Benedikte also has apartments here too)
Christian IX's Palace - Winter residence of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik
Frederik VIII's Palace - Main residence of the Crown Princely Family

So yes, it is similar to Kensington Palace in London.

This link has information about the history of each palace and their current uses, and half way down the page is a roll-over map of the entire Amalienborg complex showing which palace is which and what it is currently used for.

Thank you JessRulz. Quite to the point and thank you for the link.:)

I wonder if the Queen pops over for a catch up every now and then lol.
But more seriously when the Queen hosts dinners such as those for Charles and Camilla does she use her own palace or Christian VII's palace? What about Mary and Fred?
If the Queen uses Christian VII's palace she and Henrik must have quite a lot of spare room.

Christian VII's Palace (Moltke's Palace) is also known as the "guest palace" as it usually is where important royal guests stay when visiting Denmark (most recently the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall stayed there).

I wonder if the Queen pops over for a catch up every now and then lol.
But more seriously when the Queen hosts dinners such as those for Charles and Camilla does she use her own palace or Christian VII's palace? What about Mary and Fred?
If the Queen uses Christian VII's palace she and Henrik must have quite a lot of spare room.

I believe the Queen uses Christian VII's Palace for official dinners and such, as it happened when Charles and Camilla were visiting. For private dinners, I guess she use her own palace.
For Frederik and Mary, I know that when Charles and Camilla were visiting they hosted a dinner or lunch or so for them in their own palace.

Are they places for Princess Benedikte and Anne-Marie? Do they live there? (I know Anne-Marie doesn't live in Denmark)

Joachim lives in Schankenborg Castle or Amalienborg Palace? Because Schankenberg is too far from Copenhagen. After Fredick becomes king, can joachim still have the right to live there? Will Nikolai, Felix and Henrik as minor royals, have the right to live there when they are adults?

Both Princess Benedikte and Prince Joachim and Princess Marie have apartments in Christian's VIII's palace. I'm not sure if Anne-Marie has an apartment on Amalienborg, but I'm sure that if she has, it's in Christian VIII's palace too.

I think this is the best place to put this one.

Billed Bladet #48, 2012 - or rather the newspaper Børsen (DK's pendant to Financial Times) has apparantly brought an interview with Benedikte and for the first time been allowed inside her apartment at Amalienborg and also taken a few photographs here.

Benedikte lives for one or two weeks each month in the partment in Christian VIII's Mansion at Amalienborg.
Benedikte's apartment is located in the eastern side of the mansion, partially facing the square, and partially overlooking Amaliegade, the street that seperates this mansion with the one M&F is living in.
Here she has been living for seven years, since M&F moved out. Before then she had a small apartment in Frederik VIII's Mansion.
The masnion is shared with Joachim and our Marie who also have an apartment here and Queen Anne-Marie also has a small apartment in the same mansion.

Benedikte's apartment is located on two floors.
The upper floors, and where the photographer took the pictures, consists of a living room/salon, a dining room, a kitchen and a private office.
On the floor beneath is the bedroom, a bathroom and a guestroom.

From the pictures I can describe the dining room. The doors, panels and other woodword (and there is a lot of it!) is white. The walls are deep red. The furnitures are antique. Many have been inherited from Queen Ingrid.
In one end of the room is a lit niche with displayed items of art. Benedikte has made sure these have been selected on quality rather than quantity.
The paintings on the walls are maritime.

The living room, that face towards the square, is slightly more modern in regards to furnishing and the walls are greenish-blue and grey-blue, the woodwork is still white.

Last edited:
:previous:thank you Muhler for this and the other translations :flowers:
its nice to read about the apartments B, J&M, and QAM have

Are there any pictures that you can post?
Did Joaschim & Marie ever release any pictures inside their apartment?

:previous: I'm hesitant to post recent scans unless there is a very good reason.

But I've managed to find three small pics from Børsen from inside Benedikte's apartment: http://img.borsen.dk/img/cms/tuksi4/media/nyheder/16_9_large/95/245795_16_9_large_780.jpg

http://img.borsen.dk/img/cms/tuksi4/media/nyheder.art_imgrel/11925_picture_4053_1.jpg

http://img.borsen.dk/img/cms/tuksi4/media/nyheder.art_imgrel/11926_picture_427_1.jpg
This last picture is from the salon/living room and the bust is of her father Frederik IX.

There were no pics in the article from J&M's apartment.

My pleasure Polyesco :)

Quick Question, so none of the above apartments are located in the buildings F&M or the Queen and Henrik live?

No, this one is to the right of the mansion M&F live in, when facing the square.

I have drawn a map of the sq with the mansions numbered to lesson my confusion with them. This is great info many thanks Muhler.

If it's any consolation, Tarlita, I can't figure it out either!

So inspired by you I will upload this map and guide to the buildings at Amalienborg.

The map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...g/1280px-Map_of_the_Amalienborg_Palace-en.png
The observant among you will notice the original names of the mansions are used - just to confuse everyone. :p

#2 Christian VIII's Mansion. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Amalienborg_-_Christian_VIIIs_Pal%C3%A6.jpg/1280px-Amalienborg_-_Christian_VIIIs_Pal%C3%A6.jpg - This is where Benedikte, Queen Anne-Marie and Joachim and our Marie have their apartments.
Here is also where the museum is located.

#3 Frederik VIII's Mansion. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...II's_Palæ.jpg/1280px-Frederik_VIII's_Palæ.jpg
This is where M&F live.

#4 Christian IX's Mansion. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._IX's_Palæ.jpg/1280px-Christian_IX's_Palæ.jpg
This is where the Regent Couple live.

#5 Christian VII's Mansion. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...80px-Christian_VII'_Mansion_-_Amalienborg.jpg
Today used primarily for representation and housing guests.

- The Yellow Mansion, where the administration is located is down the street on Amaliegade.

Last edited:
:previous:thank you Muhler.:flowers:
this really helps. its a nice set up.

Im sure this has been answer before but when Frederik becomes King he would stay in #3 or move next door to #4?
Christian when he becomes CP and starts his family would live in #4?

:previous:thank you Muhler.:flowers:
this really helps. its a nice set up.

Im sure this has been answer before but when Frederik becomes King he would stay in #3 or move next door to #4?
Christian when he becomes CP and starts his family would live in #4?

You are right. Frederik will stay and when the time comes in say 20 years from now, I think #4 will be renovated. - In the meantime it's likely that apartments will be prepared in #2, for the rest of M&F's children.
And since we can expect both M&F and Christian to live longer, I will speculate that the oldest son/daughter of Christian will move in in #3, where M&F now live.
That is, from a somewhat morbid point of view, that they all die when it's most convenient.

Thanks Muhler! I am so glad you are on this forum! Can you tell me if the center square is a public place or is access to the square restricted? Thank you.

You are welcome. :)

The square is public. I've seen taxis drive through the square, but I believe there are restrictions for private cars and cars that do not have any business there.

The only parts of the square that are restricted are along the buildings, you are to maintain a distance of a couple of meters or so, especially from the windows in the basement.
And around the guards themselves.

In contrast to the guardsmen at say the British palaces, the Danish Royal Lifeguardsmen are not for show.
They have live rounds in the rifles and as such you are required to maintain a distance of about 1.5 meters or 5 feet from the guards.
In contrast to popular belief the guardsmen are allowed to both speak and look around - in fact that's their job. But they will naturally not do so unless there is a good reason.
Anyone, be they civillian or military including tourists are required by law to obey any order from a guard on duty.
It happens from time to time that the guards have to take action against people, usually intoxicated persons at night.
About 30 years or so back, there were a couple of instances where guardsmen fired warningshots against intruders at Fredensborg.

- I mention all this because I from time to time read about tourists who are confused when they are chased away when trying to pose next to a guardsmen at the royal palaces.

I must confess I'm not 100 % certain where the museum is located, but I believe it's in Christian VIII's Mansion. - Please confirm anyone....

The Amalienborg Museum (or "The Royal Danish Collections") indeed is located in Levetzau's Palace/Christian VIII's Palace. Crown Prince Frederik also had an apartment there up until 2011 when the renovation of Frederik VIII's Palace was done.

Y

In contrast to the guardsmen at say the British palaces, the Danish Royal Lifeguardsmen are not for show.
They have live rounds in the rifles and as such you are required to maintain a distance of about 1.5 meters or 5 feet from the guards.
In contrast to popular belief the guardsmen are allowed to both speak and look around - in fact that's their job. But they will naturally not do so unless there is a good reason.
Anyone, be they civillian or military including tourists are required by law to obey any order from a guard on duty.
It happens from time to time that the guards have to take action against people, usually intoxicated persons at night.
About 30 years or so back, there were a couple of instances where guardsmen fired warningshots against intruders at Fredensborg.

- I mention all this because I from time to time read about tourists who are confused when they are chased away when trying to pose next to a guardsmen at the royal palaces.

good to know for me :ROFLMAO:

I must confess I'm not 100 % certain where the museum is located, but I believe it's in Christian VIII's Mansion. - Please confirm anyone....
You are right :flowers:

The square is public. I've seen taxis drive through the square, but I believe there are restrictions for private cars and cars that do not have any business there.
Nope, there are no restrictions about the square, it´s just a normal roundabout :flowers: So anyone can go there, be it in car, by bike or by foot :flowers:

Nope, there are no restrictions about the square, it´s just a normal roundabout :flowers: So anyone can go there, be it in car, by bike or by foot :flowers:

Is it just me, or is it like the square is kind of sacred? I mean, Copenhagen is a busy city but it's never like the square is being abused by cars. Maybe it's because taking a shortcut from Bredgade through Amalienborg, for instance, isn't much quicker, but to me it feels like people are respecting that this is the place of the Queen and that is to be treated properly.
And by saying that, obviously I don't count in all the taxis trying to run down tourists in there :lol:

Thanks FasterB & Archduchess Zelia :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom