Who Will Reign Next

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, then just bust my bubble, Lol. Don't tell me she is a lush also....

The Queen's mother, the late Queen Ingrid, also somked like chimney, but she died at the age of 90.

The women from that family seems to have strong genes. I think Queen Margrethe II will live to be around 90 years old.

^^^^
Do you really expect QEII to live to be 105?

105, probably not, though it's not impossible either. But 100-103 is very possible, in my honest opinion. Though the lower end of that range (100-101) is probably more likely. Her mother did live to age 101, after all, and she appears to have inherited her mother's great longevity genes. :)

It's sad that her husband died two months before personally reaching the age of 100. :(

Even if she lived to be around that age, Charles will be regent or William because I highly doubt The Queen would be able to do much of anything yet alone be an active Monarch.

She's 87, I think it's time to truly enjoy the time we have her here and able because anything can change before you blink an eye.

Well, she's still here with us right now at age 95, and still in good health to boot! :)

I expect Prince Charles to inherit the throne at around age 80 or slightly lower than that once his mother the Queen will pass away as a centenarian around 2026-2028. You might view this as an extreme age to inherit a throne, but this early 18th century princess would have inherited the British throne at age 83 had she lived just a couple months longer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophi...ver (born Princess,the Act of Settlement 1701.

So, there was a near-precedent for this kind of thing!

As long as the Queen is able to do what is required that only the monarch can do, I don't think Charles will become regent. The Queen is healthy and in full mental capacity and at 95, just started to be seen with a walking stick and she still rides her Fell pony around the Windsor estate. Not many 95 year old women can claim to still do these things. When the time does come and the Queen passes, Charles will easily step into the role.

As I am used to monarchs who retire to make place for their successors in their prime, I have mixed feelings. That a nearly 100 years old person is still a monarch can also be interpret as: the kingship is so empty-egged that even a brontosaurus can do it.

No any of us would entrust a 95 years old as a pilot, as a CEO of or as a nurse, but being by the Grace of God Queen of the United Kingdom suddenly is no any problem at all. And that she will he succeeded by another one past retirement age: what does it say about the seriousness of this High Office? Is it all just ceremonial theatre, with gerontocrat actors?

That is why I would find it refreshing, and absolutely honourable, when a monarch indeed can freely and voluntarily lay down the kingship. As is the use in the Netherlands and Luxembourg, and has been done in Belgium, Spain, Japan and even the Holy See.

Look how Haakon, Victoria and Frederik are in their prime but possibly will succeed in their 50's or 60's.

Last edited:
Yet, on the other hand, many people in their 90s are still quite active in their world around them. Jimmy Carter is 97 and still active doing humanitarian work. Betty White is 99. William Shatner just went into space at 90. Getting to be in the 90s doesn't necessarily mean one foot in the grave any longer.

The Queen will continue to do as she does for as long as she possibly can. It's her lifeblood. It's what keeps her youngish and healthy. With the way the "Firm" is a well oiled machine and is prepared for any contingencies, there's not a situation that hasn't already been thought of and planned for should it happen.

I would be totally shocked if the Queen stepped down as that would go against a vow she's made and reaffirmed that her whole life, be it short or long, will be devoted to the service of the Crown. It's just who she is.

Tja, they may be active for their age but -fortunately- nobody would expect these nonagerians to work in a full-time job. Very few people in their 90-ties will be able to do so, which is perhaps sad but which is also a simple fact of life. The demographic changes these last 150 years, where we all live longer and longer, does make abdications -IMO- a much more sensible sollution. And as Duc says, even the pope and the emperor of Japan can do it now, so why not anybody else? But of course nobody expects the Queen of the UK to step down at this point - or the Scandinavian monarchs for that matter.

In addition there is the cruelty to let the heir of the throne waste decades of his/her life. One can wonder if it is good to let the heir start this function a decade after the average retirement age. I can imagine people will judge that rather curious - undesirable even. Though it also has happened for the last two American presidents and for many Italian [ceremonial] presidents of course.

Queen Wilhelmina - who was the first one in recent history to pragmatically abdicate to make place for a younger generation - talked about it in her autobiography. She mentioned that when she was young she was always puzzled by the example of our Habsburg Emperor, the great Charles Quint. She initially thought his abdication was a great personal weakness. Only much later in life she understood the wisdom and the strength of his decision and that it was the ultimate service any monarch could do to his/her country: to understand when it was the right time to make place for his/her successor, who can do a better job for the nation.

In the end the monarchy's job is to serve the nation, and not the other way around. And one can wonder if the nation is best served by having a monarch whose cognitive and/or physical decline -which sadly comes with age- will mean that he/she can only perform a small part of the duties that are expected for his/her function.

Last edited:
Tja, they may be active for their age but -fortunately- nobody would expect these nonagerians to work in a full-time job. Very few people in their 90-ties will be able to do so, which is perhaps sad but which is also a simple fact of life. The demographic changes these last 150 years, where we all live longer and longer, does make abdications -IMO- a much more sensible sollution. And as Duc says, even the pope and the emperor of Japan can do it now, so why not anybody else? But of course nobody expects the Queen of the UK to step down at this point - or the Scandinavian monarchs for that matter.

In addition there is the cruelty to let the heir of the throne waste decades of his/her life. One can wonder if it is good to let the heir start this function a decade after the average retirement age. I can imagine people will judge that rather curious - undesirable even. Though it also has happened for the last two American presidents and for many Italian [ceremonial] presidents of course.

Queen Wilhelmina - who was the first one in recent history to pragmatically abdicate to make place for a younger generation - talked about it in her autobiography. She mentioned that when she was young she was always puzzled by the example of our Habsburg Emperor, the great Charles Quint. She initially thought his abdication was a great personal weakness. Only much later in life she understood the wisdom and the strength of his decision and that it was the ultimate service any monarch could do to his/her country: to understand when it was the right time to make place for his/her successor, who can do a better job for the nation.

In the end the monarchy's job is to serve the nation, and not the other way around. And one can wonder if the nation is best served by having a monarch whose cognitive and/or physical decline -which sadly comes with age- will mean that he/she can only perform a small part of the duties that are expected for his/her function.

And Queen Beatrix stated in her announcement that she had "the conviction that the kingship should be in hands of a younger generation". (As we can witness at present day, from the outside it looks she still could have been Queen, so it really was her idea, after more than 3 decades and seeing her Heir nearing his 50's.)

It is very well possible that Queen Elizabeth is equally convinced the kingship should remain in her hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I am used to monarchs who retire to make place for their successors in their prime, I have mixed feelings. That a nearly 100 years old person is still a monarch can also be interpret as: the kingship is so empty-egged that even a brontosaurus can do it.

No any of us would entrust a 95 years old as a pilot, as a CEO of or as a nurse, but being by the Grace of God Queen of the United Kingdom suddenly is no any problem at all. And that she will he succeeded by another one past retirement age: what does it say about the seriousness of this High Office? Is it all just ceremonial theatre, with gerontocrat actors?

That is why I would find it refreshing, and absolutely honourable, when a monarch indeed can freely and voluntarily lay down the kingship. As is the use in the Netherlands and Luxembourg, and has been done in Belgium, Spain, Japan and even the Holy See.

Look how Haakon, Victoria and Frederik are in their prime but possibly will succeed in their 50's or 60's.

I actually don't see the problem with a 95-year-old pilot, CEO, or nurse just so long as they actually have a younger but equally competent person to back them up in the event that they will have a sudden heart attack or stroke or something similar. Some people can retain their mental facilities even into their centenarian years, after all. This guy, for instance, only retired at age 102:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...oldest-state-employee-retires-102/4750205002/

But Charles V was only 56 when he abdicated. He passed away at the age of 58, so he would not have reigned much longer anyway.

But Charles V was only 56 when he abdicated. He passed away at the age of 58, so he would not have reigned much longer anyway.

Worth noting that life expectancy was also shorter back then, though this was likely less visible at higher ages than at lower ages due to the extremely high infant and childhood mortality back then. Someone who was 56 would statistically on average I presume have lived for an additional 10 or 15 years back then.

I would be shocked if Elizabeth II abdicated; mildly surprised if Charles does; but I expect William will. I may not be around to see if my prophecy comes true... :whistling:

I would be shocked if Elizabeth II abdicated; mildly surprised if Charles does; but I expect William will. I may not be around to see if my prophecy comes true... :whistling:

Why William? I thought that Charles would be more likely to abdicate than William, though probably not very likely either since he's already been eyeing the British throne for almost 70 years by this point in time! :D

King Mohammed VI of Morocco has already had some health problems. I've also read rumors that Prince Moulay Hassan could be preparing to take the throne. Could he step down in a few years?

The King of Thailand also has health problems. And I even imagine him abdicating. Though he still doesn't seem to have a definite successor.

In Europe, I think Grand Duke Henri might abdicate in a few years.

King Harald V also has health problems. Therefore, Prince Haakon should inherit the throne within a few years. But I don't think Harald V will abdicate.

Last edited:
Crown Prince Frederik should

I'm curious myself who will sit on the throne next maybe they will announce it soon I was looking for something about it but I couldn't find it

I'm curious myself who will sit on the throne next maybe they will announce it soon I was looking for something about it but I couldn't find it

All successors are known in all monarchies except for Thailand.

Crown Princess Ingrid Alexandra (Norway)
Crown Princess Victoria (Sweden)
Crown Prince Frederik (Denmark)
The Prince of Wales (UK)
The Princess of Orange (Netherlands)
The Duchess of Brabant (Belgium)
Hereditary Grand-Duke Guillaume (Luxembourg)
Hereditary Prince Jacques (Monaco)
Hereditary Prince Aloïs (Liechtenstein)
The Princess of Asturias (Spain)
Prince Moulay Hassan (Morocco)
Fumihito, the Prince Akishino (Japan)

Norway is Crown Prince Haakon

All successors are known in all monarchies except for Thailand.

Crown Prince Haakon (Norway)
Crown Princess Victoria (Sweden)
Crown Prince Frederik (Denmark)
The Prince of Wales (UK)
The Princess of Orange (Netherlands)
The Duchess of Brabant (Belgium)
Hereditary Grand-Duke Guillaume (Luxembourg)
Hereditary Prince Jacques (Monaco)
Hereditary Prince Aloïs (Liechtenstein)
The Princess of Asturias (Spain)
Prince Moulay Hassan (Morocco)
Fumihito, the Prince Akishino (Japan)

Crown Prince Hussein (Jordan)
Crown Prince Salman (Bahrain)
Crown Prince Jigme Namgyel (Bhutan)
Crown Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah (Brunei)
Crown Prince Lerotholi (Lesotho)
Crown Prince Theyazin (Oman)
Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman (Saudi Arabia)
Crown Prince Siaosi (George) Tukuʻaho (Tonga)

In Europe, I think Grand Duke Henri might abdicate in a few years.
The Grand Duke may wait until after his Silver Jubilee in 2025 if he does intend to abdicate.

The Grand Duke may wait until after his Silver Jubilee in 2025 if he does intend to abdicate.
That would give Guillaume and Stephanie time to spend the first baby years in relative peace. My hunch (which has been wrong many times) says that they won't have more than two children.

That would give Guillaume and Stephanie time to spend the first baby years in relative peace.

Ofcourse its all merely speculation but it would be ideal to let them have some private family time!

The Gran Duke abdicating in 2025 would mean that his son would ascend the throne at about the same age (44-45) as his father (45) and grandfather (43).

The Gran Duke abdicating in 2025 would mean that his son would ascend the throne at about the same age (44-45) as his father (45) and grandfather (43).

Certainly some Royal precedence in that tradition :previous:

I am not sure if grand duke Henri would abdicate yet that soon. Guillaume would have yet small children so might be that Henri yet decides wait to 2030's.

Yes, I think Grand Duke Henri will abdicate in a few years, but not now.
Guillaume still has small children. Henri must wait until perhaps 2030.

I can certainty see the GD announce his abdication during his silver jubilee. Use the occasion to look back on his reign fondly and focus on the positives while transferring the reign during a festive year.

Maria Teresa hinted at Henri abdicating in the not-too-distant future; so around the time of the silver jubilee sounds about right and is on par with my earlier predictions comparing ages of those abdicating and ascending the throne in Luxembourg.

Maria Teresa hinted at Henri abdicating in the not-too-distant future; so around the time of the silver jubilee sounds about right and is on par with my earlier predictions comparing ages of those abdicating and ascending the throne in Luxembourg.
I wouldn't say so. Grand Duke Jean was 79 when he abdicated, Grand Duke Henri would be 71 in 2025, so quiet a bit younger.

Back
Top Bottom