Westminster Hall and Westminster Abbey

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its simply amazing that the Prayer Book of the Lady Margaret Beaufort,Countess of Richmond and Derby survived the Reformation given all the damage done to English art work, statues, monuments and manuscripts.

Richard III's Book of Hours also survived. It includes prayers written in his own hand and is kept at Lambeth Palace. https://www.medievalists.net/2015/03/richard-iiis-book-of-hours/
https://www.medievalists.net/2017/02/richard-lll-book-hours-now-online/

I suppose we have to be thankful for what did survive. And there is still much wonderful treasure surviving in English churches & cathedrals. But yes what was lost forever was cataclysmic. A great tragedy.

Of course sometimes we can glimpse that lost world of ancient English Catholicism when some long whitewashed church walls are discovered to be hiding medieval painting. Moments when you can literally touch history.

I love it when someone moves a chair or a piece of stonework that hasn't been moved for 500 years and beautiful, colourful murals pop out from behind whitewashing, like the Wheel of Fortune at Rochester Cathedral.

Some churches have also done a lot more research into traces of surviving colours (often red and blue) on their masonry in recent years to map out how it might have looked and what might be behind the whitewash with equipment from local universities and other projects.

But sigh, the whitewash...

The last Abbots of the Benedictine house of Saint Peter - Westminster Abbey

William Benson (died 1549)
Hugh Weston 1556
John Feckenham was the last abbot of Westminster 1556-1560

Mary I restored it as a Benedictine House and it was dissolved in 1560 by queen Elizabeth I.

The latest question and answer session from Westminster Abbey with Dr Miranda Kaufmann, author of "Black Tudors: The Untold Story" (2017).

The latest question and answer session from Westminster Abbey with Dr Miranda Kaufmann, author of "Black Tudors: The Untold Story" (2017).

This is very interesting but what I find confusing is what she means by "African". Does she mean black Africans only or people from North Africa as well? She uses black & African interchangeably but that's not accurate.

So is her book Black Tudors about black Africans only or about all Africans? Maybe I need to read it to find out!

It would also have been useful to find out many Africans were living in Tudor London. A handful? A hundred? More than that?

Last edited:
The Guild of St Faith does a wonderful job repairing & creating new vestments & frontals. Reminds me of the work done by textile conservators in the Royal Collection & Historic Royal Palaces.

Hampton Court & its wonderful tapestries come to mind.

Sir David Cannadine and Dan Snow explore the history of Westminster Abbey.

Fascinating programme. It's funny how Disaraeli & Gladstone are facing away from each other.

It's a shame there isn't more public access to hidden parts of the abbey complex.

Preparing for the 1953 coronation and the abbey today!

Westminster Abbey Bells
Here is a few minutes recording of the bells ringing from around the abbey.

The bells of Westminster Abbey rang for The Princess of Wales' birthday.

New bells for Westminster Abbey when Queen Elizabeth II attended the dedication ceremony on November 15, 1971

A look at the tomb of Sir George Villiers +1606 and Lady Mary Villiers,Countess of Buckingham at the Chapel of St Nicholas in Westminster Abbey.
Mary was a Catholic convert and the mother of James I's favourite Sir George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham.
The Countess died in 1632.

Back
Top Bottom