Victoria & Daniel's 1st Baby - Guess the Sex, Name and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think Victoria will have ....a boy or girl?

• Boy - Christian needs some help with all these girls!

Votes: 103 40.1%
  • Girl - Girls rule!

Votes: 67 26.1%
  • One of each would be nice!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • As long as the baby is healthy it doesn't matter!

Votes: 76 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
True but, as mentioned before by others, in Sweden the Virgin Mary is usually Maria or less often Marie
And Protestants (who predominate in Sweden) do not believe that Mary was always a Virgin.:lol:

And Protestants (who predominate in Sweden) do not believe that Mary was always a Virgin.:lol:

How true! How could I forget that! :lol:
Also IMO it's generally a Catholic thing to include Maria in the child (boy or girl)'s name for the Virgin Mary's honour. I know very few Protestants who do that

American Dane said:
True but, as mentioned before by others, in Sweden the Virgin Mary is usually Maria or less often Marie. Hence the suggestions that it refers to CP Mary. Though it could, also as others in this thread stated, be compensation (so to speak) for Mary not being named a godmother...

What about Mette Marit, though? I would guess Haakon will be godfather but his wife isn't given a 'compensation' of having one of her names given to Estelle.

is there a possibility that Estelle might have more than 4 godparents? i mean, 'cause her grandfather had 9. it isnt actually a rule that she must have 4 godparents as her mother, uncle and aunt had, or is it?

kathia_sophia said:
is there a possibility that Estelle might have more than 4 godparents? i mean, 'cause her grandfather had 9. it isnt actually a rule that she must have 4 godparents as her mother, uncle and aunt had, or is it?

Yes, that's a possibility and I don't think there are any limits. It depends how Victoria and Daniel see it. I suppose they wouldn't want to 'use up' all potential godparents: 'save' some for the other children.

Will the names of the godparents be announced the day of the baptism or beforehand already?
BYe Bine

Bine221 said:
Will the names of the godparents be announced the day of the baptism or beforehand already?
BYe Bine

Well, judging from other Royal Houses, it's usually on the day or a few days before. I guess it's still too early.

you're total wrong. besides, prince felipe is godfather to princess ingrid of norway, prince vincent of denmark and prince constantine alexios of greece whose church is not catholic. princess victoria herself is godmother to princess eleonore who is from catholic church.

No, I'm not total wrong.:flowers:
Because in Sweden, there's only one man who, according to the constitution (!) must believe in God in a specific defined way (Lutheran, according to the Augsburg Confession) and that is the head of state (Carl XIV Gustaf now, but in the future Victoria and Estelle)The rest of us are free to believe in God the way we want, but for the Head of State (and future head of state) "Lutheran and Augsburgsk" is the only acceptable way of faith/confession ... And more than that: it is established in the Constitution!

So this means that the Crown princess and her husband may not choose a godmother / godfather who has a different faith than the Lutheran, as the godmother / godfather mission is to help educate the newly baptized in the "true faith" (ie, in this case, the Lutheran according to the Augsburg doctrine).

If
the case would be that the priest who baptizes Estelle allows someone of "other faith" to be the godmother / godfather, it becomes a case of the cathedral chapter (Domkapitlet), for in that case it is misconduct by the priest. (in this case misconduct by the archbishop, the chaplain of the court and the newly elected bishop of Skara)
But who knows? Royals always had shortcuts :whistling:and Queen Josefina for example, was a Catholic... (but she was on the other hand not head of state) and Carl Philip got this Leopold guy... ;)
Sweden is certainly the world´s most secular coutnty, so many people may not care... but if we take a look at the situation in Sweden today and the massive critisism of the royal family in recently , it would be even more fuel on the fire if Estelle get a Chatolic godmother/father...

Soli Deo Gloria said:
Because in Sweden, there's only one man who, according to the constitution (!) must believe in God in a specific defined way (Lutheran, according to the Augsburg Confession) and that is the head of state (Carl XIV Gustaf now, but in the future Victoria and Estelle)The rest of us are free to believe in God the way we want, but for the Head of State (and future head of state) "Lutheran and Augsburgsk" is the only acceptable way of faith/confession ... And more than that: it is established in the Constitution!

So this means that the Crown princess and her husband may not choose a godmother / godfather who has a different faith than the Lutheran, as the godmother / godfather mission is to help educate the newly baptized in the "true faith" (ie, in this case, the Lutheran according to the Augsburg doctrine).

If the case would be that the priest who baptizes Estelle allows someone of "other faith" to be the godmother / godfather, it becomes a case of the cathedral chapter (Domkapitlet), for in that case it is misconduct by the priest. (in this case misconduct by the archbishop, the chaplain of the court and the newly elected bishop of Skara)
But who knows? Royals always had shortcuts :whistling:and Queen Josefina for example, was a Catholic... (but she was on the other hand not head of state) and Carl Philip got this Leopold guy... ;)
Sweden is certainly the world´s most secular coutnty, so many people may not care... but if we take a look at the situation in Sweden today and the massive critisism of the royal family in recently , it would be even more fuel on the fire if Estelle get a Chatolic godmother/father...

Well, Carl Philip was technically Crown Prince at the time and nobody made a fuss about Leopold being a Catholic. Is there a rule that specifically forbids Catholic godparents in the Swedish church? I understand your stating that it's implied because the Swedish monarch has to be a Protestant. The Dutch monarch has to be a Protestant too but the little Princesses have Catholic godparents (Maxima's family and friends, Princess Mathilde, Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume). I'm not Swedish but I would venture to say that most people would understand that Victoria and Daniel would choose people they respect and find good role models for Estelle and if one of those were a Catholic, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Having said that, however, I don't think Estelle will have any Catholic godparents. It seems that the only foreign Royals invited are the Danish and Norwegian Royal Families- going by the updates to their calendars. Unless other Royal houses are waiting till next week to announce their attendance- they should have received their invitations by now. So any godparents will probably be drawn from these guests as well as family/friends.

Last edited:
If true, I must say that I find it highly annoying that again a tabloid comes up with the news, instead of the Court’s press department announcing such news officially in a press release, as they should... all wrong.

If true, I must say that I find it highly annoying that again a tabloid comes up with the news, instead of the Court’s press department announcing such news officially in a press release, as they should... all wrong.
Their "news" may just be an educated guess. Carl Philip, Anna and Haakon are almost a given, Willem-Alexander very probable but Mary does not make any sense.

Last edited:
grevinnan said:
Their "news" may just be an educated guess. Carl Philip, Anna and Haakon are almost a given, Willem-Alexander very probable but Mary does not make any sense.

And with a educated guess it is still not official and in this day and age it is all about the educated guess. If correct they did a good job if not they will have egg on their faces. This is the way the cookie crumbles.

Is there any indication that Wilem-Alexander is going to be in Stockholm next week? I suppose he could be godfather 'in absentia'. I would wait until the court announcement, though. It seems highly odd that this should be leaked to a tabloid first.

Having just read the article, it seems more like guess work than reporting but I guess we shall see.

Last edited:
Maybe the tabloid wants to sell or they are bored, came up with their guesses. Its hard to believe that they would come out first. Also I find it odd that Mary is on the list and not Frederik.

I don't actually think Mary is that odd a choice as it doesn't seem to be a given that a Swedish heir gets both the Danish and Norwegian Crown Princes as godparents. King Harald is Victoria's godfather and Queen Margrethe is Carl Philip's. They could just be 'saving' Frederik (and Mette-Marit) for other children to come.

Maybe the tabloid wants to sell or they are bored, came up with their guesses. Its hard to believe that they would come out first. Also I find it odd that Mary is on the list and not Frederik.

I found it already odd that she was the godparent of little Henrik and not Frederik

If this article is correct, Här är Estelles faddrar | Estelle | Nyheter | Aftonbladet , princess Estelle will have five godparents: prince Carl Philip, Anna Westling Söderström, crown princess Mary of Denmark, crown prince Haakon of Norway and the prince of Orange.
:previous: I think it's just rumors and speculations. It's more polite to choose a couple (either Mary n Frederik or Haakon n MM) as godparents for baby Estelle. And I also can not understand what "the prince of Orange" means. If the newspaper knows exactly that CPh, Anna, Mary n Haakon will be godparents, so why didn't they find out a name of the Prince?
IMO, we have to wait.

ironical said:
:previous: I think it's just rumors and speculations. It's more polite to choose a couple (either Mary n Frederik or Haakon n MM) as godparents for baby Estelle. And I also can not understand what "the prince of Orange" means. If the newspaper knows exactly that CPh, Anna, Mary n Haakon will be godparents, so why didn't they find out a name of the Prince?
IMO, we have to wait.

The official title of the heir to the throne of the Netherlands is Prince/Princess of Orange, currently Wilem-Alexander. It's like Prince Charles being called the Prince of Wales. And I actually don't think it's common practice to ask a couple to be godparents..

I found it already odd that she was the godparent of little Henrik and not Frederik
That would have been odd, considering he already is godparent of Prince Nikolai....the oldest.

The official title of the heir to the throne of the Netherlands is Prince/Princess of Orange, currently Wilem-Alexander. It's like Prince Charles being called the Prince of Wales. And I actually don't think it's common practice to ask a couple to be godparents..

Thank you so much Esmerelda, I didn't know about it :flowers:
Why not? Sounds like Victoria\Daniel and the Norwegian CP couple are good friends, so I don't that Haakon would be a godfather without MM, same thing with Mary and Frederik. However, we'll see;)

I find it odd that Mary is on the list and not Frederik.

It makes sense to me. They wanted one male and one female from the Scandinavian crown prince/ess couples. I always assumed Mary was a godmother due to Estelle's middle name of Mary. Thus, I assumed that Haakon was going to be a godfather. I can't remember a time when a royal husband and wife were godparents together to the same child, can you?

It makes sense to me. They wanted one male and one female from the Scandinavian crown princley couples. I always assumed Mary was a godmother due to Estelle's middle name of Mary. Thus, I assumed that Haakon was going to be a godfather. I can't remember a time when a royal husband and wife were godparents together to the same child, can you?

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway to Prince Christian of Denmark

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia of Spain to Infanta Leonor of Spain

I can't remember a time when a royal husband and wife were godparents together to the same child, can you?
King Carl Gustaf had both the Swedish (Gustaf Adolf and Louise) and Danish (Fredrik and Ingrid) crown prince couples as godparents.

If the case would be that the priest who baptizes Estelle allows someone of "other faith" to be the godmother / godfather, it becomes a case of the cathedral chapter (Domkapitlet), for in that case it is misconduct by the priest. (in this case misconduct by the archbishop, the chaplain of the court and the newly elected bishop of Skara)

Whats this? Gustav II Adolfs court in the middle of the 30th year war? Nowdays Swedes dont care about the difference between Lutheran or Catholic faith. Many in Germany are catholics, the faith of Silvias father are not as well known as his membership in a certain party. We also dont know what religion Silvia had prior to 1972

That article lists my guesses actually, but I think it's kind of obvious guesses too. A sibling from both Victoria and Daniel (Prince Carl Philip and Anna Westling) and a royal (preferably one of the heirs/their wives) from Norway, the Netherlands and Denmark (CP Haakon, the Prince of Orange and, not to make it four men/one woman, CP Mary).

I will be very surprised if Frederik is not a godparent. He and CP Victoria have always seemed to share a special bond I think.

Danish girl said:
I will be very surprised if Frederik is not a godparent. He and CP Victoria have always seemed to share a special bond I think.

Totally agree . If anything, it's Frederik and Mary.

I don´t think the list is any strange at all (maybe beacuse i picked the same in my guess...:p), it makes perfect sence - the only thing to be a little bit uncertain about was if it would be Haakon or Fredrik who would be the godfather, beacuse Victoria would get ALOT of critics in Sweden if she would have choosen so many males, and Mary was already done when they announced the name since there is no relation to any Mary in the close history in the Swedish RF. Wilhelm-Alexander was given since it´s now has become sort of a tradition that the Dutch heir (or monarch) is one of the godparents, and one of the Scandinavian colleges was also given (both if it would have been one of each sex) and ofcourse Victorias oldest sibling and Daniels sibling, then it was no choice really - Victoria simply couldn´t choose 4 out of 5 males, that would have been a very bad move in gender sensitive Sweden. She ofcourse could have done the opposite and choosen Fredrik and Mette-Marit as godparents - but when they named the baby Mary it was all clear.

Can´t wait to follow the baptism - i´ve even taken the day off from work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom