The Royal Mews, Buckingham Palace (Coaches, etc)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see that according Wikipedia it will now be delivered to the Queen in spring 2010. Let's hope so!

Prince's wedding carriage ready to roll - World - NZ Herald News

The State Coach Britannia is the Australian master coach builder's creation and has taken six years to complete since he originally proposed the idea to Buckingham Palace.

Mr Frecklington received a A$250,000 federal government grant in 2006 to complete the carriage, which is now finished and ready to be flown to Britain.

Update on the State Coach Britannia

from the Sydney Sunday Telegraph, 31 January 2010:

"[The coach] was finished last year but plans to ship it to the UK have not been finalised. Buckingham Palace stressed it was up to Mr Frecklington to decide when to send it.
A palace spokesman said "It's not one that has been commissioned by the Royal Household. Therefore it's not an official carriage, it's a private initiative. So we don't have any information about it, or any response about it, because it's something that's entirely private. It would be a matter for Mr Frecklington. We don't know anything about the progress or what he intends to do with the vehicle once he's completed it."

In the meantime, visitors have been paying $15 a head to see the coach on tours organised by Mr Frecklington. He told The Sunday Telegraph he had been in contact with Buckingham Palace last week, but preparations for shipping the coach had been delayed because of "winter" arrangements at the Royal Mews. "I'm ready to take it to London" Mr Frecklington said. "Hopefully it won't be long and there'll be an announcement. I've been on the phone to the Palace this morning."

I can't wait to see the Queen in the new coach! It sounds like a masterpiece on wheels!

Update on the State Coach Britannia
"I'm ready to take it to London" Mr Frecklington said. "Hopefully it won't be long and there'll be an announcement. I've been on the phone to the Palace this morning."

Winter is over by now and summer nearly there. Does any one have information about this so awaited State Coach Britannia ? Will it be delivered a day in London ?

£900,000 State coach made for the Queen 'missing' - Telegraph

A £900,000 handmade state coach designed as a gift for the Queen's 80th birthday has vanished in Australia.

The jewel-encrusted 2.75 tonne black carriage, made with $250,000 (£161,000) of Australian taxpayers' money, was supposed to be delivered in 2006, but government officials have admitted they have no idea where it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iluvbertie,

I find these articles extremely amusing. You would think the government officials would know where the coach is before stating that it is missing. But what is the point of making this a political issue? Are the taxpayers of Australia obligated to pay more money for the coach? Or is the expense of getting it to England to be borne by the hard working people of Australia?

The government that did give some money to the coach builder is now out of power and the one that is in has becoming a republic on its agenda.
It simply is a matter of the relevant current minister not doing his research properly and wanting to have a dig at the previous administration but it hasn't worked in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, so the royal coach has become a political "hot potato." Thanks for the information.

I noticed that the Queen was in Wales to open the National Assembly. Her state limousine was there for her. Did she drive in it all the way from London or was it transported there for her?

It was transported there for her. She traveled to Wales by train.

Hi, does anyone know the symbols on the 1902 either side of the coats of arms. Thank you in anticipation.

Looks to me link the Garter star surrounded by the collar of the Order of the Garter. I could be wrong though.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

IT'S 2,223 days since Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her 80th birthday -- but Her Majesty still hasn't received her birthday present.

And now it's not clear if she ever will.

Queen's coach remains expensive fairytale

A horse-drawn carriage funded by the Howard government to the tune of $245,000 for the Queen's 80th birthday in 2006 has yet to be given to Elizabeth II and has never been seen by any Commonwealth officials.

A Senate estimates committee heard this morning that the famed state coach Britannia was still in Sydney and that its maker, Jim Frecklington, was now requesting that Australian taxpayers contribute a further $5million, even though the Queen celebrated her 86th birthday earlier this year.

The royal mews house some of the most beautifully guilded royal coaches it's like a beautiful royal garage.

Does anyone what happened to The State Coach Britannia? and will it be given to The Queen?

Does anyone what happened to The State Coach Britannia? and will it be given to The Queen?
As of now, it still hasn't been shipped to Britain and it's future fate is not known.

Frecklington - the coachbuilder who created The State Coach Britannia - claimed that it had been commissioned by the Buckingham Palace, but the latter always denied it. In March 2012 Frecklington wrote to the Gillard Government requesting $5 Million (Australian Dollars) to pay for building of the coach and to ship it to the United Kingdom for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. The request was refused.

State Coach Britannia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could be wrong, but I believe he does not have one piece of paper from the palace stating that they would pay $5m for a new coach. I don't believe they have a shortage.

As of now, it still hasn't been shipped to Britain and it's future fate is not known.

Frecklington - the coachbuilder who created The State Coach Britannia - claimed that it had been commissioned by the Buckingham Palace, but the latter always denied it. In March 2012 Frecklington wrote to the Gillard Government requesting $5 Million (Australian Dollars) to pay for building of the coach and to ship it to the United Kingdom for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. The request was refused.

State Coach Britannia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just great! I wrote a book that has this in it. At least it takes place in the future so their is still a chance it could be used. Wish I had known this but I started writing the book in 2007 and published it in 2011.

The Riding School in the present mews was built by John Nash when Buckingham House was occupied by King George III.

Here are some of my photos from my visit to the Royal Mews.

All the horses were on their summer holidays out in the country except these two and two brown ones.

I remember the groom saying a Windsor Grey was not a breed, but any big enough grey horse - or something like that.

Everybody "on duty" at these places was eager to answer questions, and really enjoyed the visitors taking an interest.

The people who work in the Royal Mews live in the accommodation above the stables.

It was wonderful to be able to get up close to these coaches and carriages - the one that took Diana to her wedding, the one that Her Majesty took to her coronation etc.

Such history right there in front of you - and a lovely sunny day in London, and no crowding. Time to linger or go back for another look at something.

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I just thought it would be nice to do an update on all the Royal Carriages.

1. The Diamond Jubilee State Coach (2010/2014)
2. The Australia State Coach (1988)
3. The Glass Coach (1881)
4. Queen Alexandra’s State Coach (1865)
5. The Irish State Coach (1851)
6. The Scottish State Coach (1830)
7. The 1902 State Landau (1902)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Jubilee_State_Coach
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_State_Coach
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_coach
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Alexandra's_State_Coach
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_State_Coach
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_State_Coach