The 18th Birthday of Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant - 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Perhaps...but I was referring to a different group photo where she is standing in the midst of her siblings.

Elisabeth did so well!!! She didn't look nervous at all! She was so elegant and composed, her voice is so relaxing and beautiful! Loved her speech and the mix of languages! I'm so proud of her! Btw, how was her german? Her french and dutch are perfect.

Her parents were so emotional during her speech, so so so lovely to see. What a great loving family. I was also happy to see Laurent there, he seemed genually happy for his niece.

I didn't find any video about Phillippe giving the order to Elisabeth. Does anyone know where to see that footage?

This year has been a great delight of young royals for me. First it was Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation, then Leonor at the Princess of Asturias Awards, and now, Elisabeth on her 18th birthday. It brings tears on my eyes to see these young people grow and become lovely teens and adults. Can't wait to see what 2020 has in store for these lovely human beings!

I didn't find any video about Phillippe giving the order to Elisabeth. Does anyone know where to see that footage?

You can see the entire ceremony by clicking on the link below. Go to around 0:50:00 to see Elisabeth receiving the order.

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/1...-55-uur-ceremonie-voor-de-18e-verjaardag-van/

I am looking forward to the publication of the royal decree awarding the Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold to Elisabeth. I am curious to know if the newly restored German titles of the RF (duke of Saxony and prince of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) will be mentioned in Elisabeth's official citation.

One of the most moving moments in Lisa's speech yesterday was when she addressed each of her siblings by name in French(the language that they likely use when together) saying that the four of them are an "equipe formidable".

Actually, I was watching the video again when replying to Kathia Sophia above and I think Elisabeth said that she thinks first of all of her family , who has always been there to support and encourage her. Then she says that they ('we' in her speech) are a formidable team, also with her siblings, whom she then names one by one. So I understand the "formidable team" referred to the entire family, including her parents and her siblings. I don't think she was including other relatives though.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes I listened again and you are correct, she was referring to her entire immediate family including her parents and siblings as a great team.

Very lovely and moving.?

A well-delivered speech. I wonder how much she wrote herself and how much polishing it required (or whether it was written for her and it was her who did the 'polishing').

I like most of the pictures; just not the one with her parents because of Mathilde's facial expression.

Philippe cloned Emmanuel, and Mathilde cloned Gabriel who looks nothing like his father.

The girls seem to be a fair balance of both parents.

Gabriel has his father's eye color and the Paola-inherited teeth (that every grandchildren of hers seemed to get, hence the need for brackets) plus the abundant hair (Mathilde's is more sparse, like Eleonore's).

Physically speaking the one who has the most from both parents (biggest mix) is Elisabeth IMO, Eleonore is basically a mix of Mathilde and Paola (she's going to be REALLY beautiful, her features are flawless).

Emmanuel has absolutely NOTHING from Mathilde (from a physical point of view) :D, you can look at pictures of his dad at the same age and only the age of the picture would tell you who is who, he's a clone :D

This year has been a great delight of young royals for me. First it was Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation, then Leonor at the Princess of Asturias Awards, and now, Elisabeth on her 18th birthday. It brings tears on my eyes to see these young people grow and become lovely teens and adults. Can't wait to see what 2020 has in store for these lovely human beings!

True. If you ask me I think the young royals are the biggest royal highlight of the year. Lovely and amazing.

A well-delivered speech. I wonder how much she wrote herself and how much polishing it required (or whether it was written for her and it was her who did the 'polishing').

I like most of the pictures; just not the one with her parents because of Mathilde's facial expression.

What do you not like about Mathilde's facial expression in that photo?

King Phillipe sure can't talk his way out of being the father of the two youngest!

I think CPss Elisabeth is also more of a Coburg than of her mother´s descendant. The only child resembling the Queen the most is Prince Gabriel - a little similar to CP Haakon and Queen Sonja!

I think the boys took more after each parent (Gabriel took after Mathilde, and Emmanuel took after Phillippe), than the girls which are more of a mix. In fact, Elisabeth is more like her father but has a rounder face like her mother, while Eleonore is more like Mathilde but has a slender face like her father. Both of them have their own special features, while the brothers are the copy of their parents.

Thank you @Mbruno for the link.

Btw, in the video they say Crown Princess Elisabeth. So, what should I call her? I'm so confused. Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant or Crown Princess Elisabeth? I believe this has been discussed before but didn't had enough time to read all of the comments. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
gorgeous, elegant young lady! what an amazing representant belgium will get. i think this coming of age was a great event all round. wish other monarchies did the same!

I think the boys took more after each parent (Gabriel took after Mathilde, and Emmanuel took after Phillippe), than the girls which are more of a mix. In fact, Elisabeth is more like her father but has a rounder face like her mother, while Eleonore is more like Mathilde but has a slender face like her father. Both of them have their own special features, while the brothers are the copy of their parents.

Thank you @Mbruno for the link.

Btw, in the video they say Crown Princess Elisabeth. So, what should I call her? I'm so confused. Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant or Crown Princess Elisabeth? I believe this has been discussed before but didn't had enough time to read all of the comments. I'm sorry.

Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant :flowers:

Crown Princess Elisabeth seems to be used by some to emphasize she is the heir to the throne.

Different countries have different ways of designating the heir to the throne. In Norway, Denmark and Sweden, the term Crown Princess would have been proper. Its the proper term to designate the heir to the throne.

Other countries have different titles. You would never call Prince Charles Crown prince Charles, he is Prince of Wales (even if he is the crown prince). In Spain it is Princ/ss of Asturius. In Netherlands its Prince/ss of Orange. And in Belgium, Duke/Duchess of Brabant.

The official website and official statements use the style HRH Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant. This is the official styling used by the Royal Court.

Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant | The Belgian Monarchy

Hare Koninklijke Hoogheid Prinses Elisabeth, Hertogin van Brabant, viert haar 18e verjaardag | De Belgische Monarchie

However, it is a traditional Belgian and Dutch practice for the public to unofficially refer to the heir(ess) to the throne as Crown Prince(ss). Philippe was called Crown Prince Philippe in the Belgian media and Willem-Alexander was called Crown Prince Willem-Alexander in the Dutch media when they were the heirs to their respective thrones.

ETA: The term "Crown Prince or Crown Princess" was even used in the Royal Decree of November 12, 2015, referring to the position of heir to the throne.

Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad

Last edited:
As there isn't a thread on Elisabeth's birth, I will add these here - some of the media reports from October/November 2001 following Elisabeth's birth:

"Le bonheur de Philippe et Mathilde"
Author: Philippe Séguy
Source: Point de Vue
Published: October 31, 2001

"Belgians hail future queen"
Author: N/A
Source: The Daily Telegraph
Published: November 5, 2001

"Elisabeth - premiere sortie d'une future reine"
Author: Laurence Dyvane
Source: Point de Vue
Published: November 7, 2001

Thank you very much for posting these.

The statement Prince Philippe made was quite nice in my opinion: "Je suis très heureux qu'une fille devienne reine, mais avant d'être une bonne souveraine, je veux qu'Elisabeth devienne une vraie femme". Which, if I understood it correctly, means "I am very happy that a girl will become queen, but before being a good sovereign, I want Elisabeth to become a true woman."

On a side note, I think his statement can be read to mean he supported the repeal of Salic law in favor of absolute primogeniture.

"Cannons fired 101 rounds in her honour outside the royal palace after her birth. Previously, newborn girls were given only a 51-round salute."​

That's curious, because Princess Luisa Maria was born in 1995, six years before Elisabeth but four years after the adoption of absolute primogeniture. Was she nonetheless given only a 51-round salute, were salutes reserved for children of monarchs and heirs by that time, or did the writer of the article forget about her?

I am looking forward to the publication of the royal decree awarding the Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold to Elisabeth. I am curious to know if the newly restored German titles of the RF (duke of Saxony and prince of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) will be mentioned in Elisabeth's official citation.

While I would be happy to see that, I am not expecting it. On the same day as King Philippe's decree confirming the right to use "ancestral" titles, he issued another decree which cited Prince Amedeo as merely "HRH Prince Amedeo, Prince of Belgium", dropping Amedeo's "ancestral title" of Archduke of Austria-Este.

Enig artikel. Instemming wordt verleend met het huwelijk van Zijne Koninklijke Hoogheid Prins Amedeo, Prins van België, met Mevrouw Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein, voltrokken op 5 juli 2014.

(Sole article. Consent is granted to the marriage of His Royal Highness Prince Amedeo, Prince of Belgium, to Mrs. Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein, concluded on 5 July 2014.)

Therefore, King Philippe apparently thinks there is no need to use full titles in the official record. At most, I would expect "HRH Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant, Princess of Belgium".

Last edited:
:previous: The decree Mbruno was speaking of was enacted in July 2019. Since Amedeo's engagement was announced 4 years prior, how his announcement was handled doesn't reflect how it may be done now.

That said the decree in July was about the coat of arms of the royal family, not their title/names. It re-introduced the Saxon shield to the coat of arms, which had been removed after WWI.

Her coat of arms should be altered to include the order of Leopold.

:previous: The decree Mbruno was speaking of was enacted in July 2019. Since Amedeo's engagement was announced 4 years prior, how his announcement was handled doesn't reflect how it may be done now.

Mbruno was speaking of the royal decree of November 12, 2015 regulating titles and names: Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad

More information on the effect of the decree on the Saxon titles may be found here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f29/titles-of-the-belgian-royal-family-38975-16.html

You will see from viewing the link in my previous post that the decree on Prince Amedeo's marriage is dated November 12, 2015 (it was issued retroactively), the same date as the decree on titles.

I wonder if the Coat of arms of Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant will be updated now that she has the Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold ?

Good question ! Probably yes. The heraldic representation of the Order of Leopold should be added to her coat of arms.

Her coat of arms should be altered to include the order of Leopold.

The princess's coat of arms most likely will not change. Although many other royal princes and princesses have been granted the Order, its representation has not been added to their arms, with the exception of the first Count of Flanders, who was granted his arms before the first heraldic royal decree (July 13, 1880) set out rules for the royal family's heraldry.

My guess is that its inclusion in the king's arms is representative of his role as the head of the order.

Last edited:
Again on topic.
We received pictures taken after the Cermony.
I visited often the royal palace and the family pictures are taken in a private part of the Palace, but why are the pictures taken in a Corner of the Room.?

Princess Elisabeth has a maternal famlily . The Countess d' Udekem d' Acoz looks devasted , she was missing her late husband and her daughter Helène , Barones Janssen , Godmother and Aunt of Elsabeth.

Again on topic.
We received pictures taken after the Cermony.
I visited often the royal palace and the family pictures are taken in a private part of the Palace, but why are the pictures taken in a Corner of the Room.?

Princess Elisabeth has a maternal famlily . The Countess d' Udekem d' Acoz looks devasted , she was missing her late husband and her daughter Helène , Barones Janssen , Godmother and Aunt of Elsabeth.

Could Baroness Janssen have been invited, but, for some reason, was not able to attend ?

It is odd that Prince Amedeo was invited for being Élisabeth’s godfather , but her godmother was not.

Last edited:
The official website and official statements use the style HRH Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant. This is the official styling used by the Royal Court.

Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant | The Belgian Monarchy

Hare Koninklijke Hoogheid Prinses Elisabeth, Hertogin van Brabant, viert haar 18e verjaardag | De Belgische Monarchie

However, it is a traditional Belgian and Dutch practice for the public to unofficially refer to the heir(ess) to the throne as Crown Prince(ss). Philippe was called Crown Prince Philippe in the Belgian media and Willem-Alexander was called Crown Prince Willem-Alexander in the Dutch media when they were the heirs to their respective thrones.

ETA: The term "Crown Prince or Crown Princess" was even used in the Royal Decree of November 12, 2015, referring to the position of heir to the throne.

The term "Kroonprins" is used in the Dutch version of the royal decree, but the French version uses "Prince héritier" instead. My understanding is that "Kroonprins" is used then in this context simply as the (non-literal) Dutch translation of "hereditary prince" rather than being used as a title like in Denmark or Sweden.

The term "Kroonprins" is used in the Dutch version of the royal decree, but the French version uses "Prince héritier" instead. My understanding is that "Kroonprins" is used then in this context simply as the (non-literal) Dutch translation of "hereditary prince" rather than being used as a title like in Denmark or Sweden.

I agree that it is not being used as a title in the decree's context, but Prince héritier seems to be the standard French translation of Crown Prince/Kroonprins/Kronprins irrespective of whether it is being used as a title. The Danish and Swedish heirs are "Prince héritier" and "Princesse héritière" in French.

:previous: Thanks for sharing eya. Elisabeth has lovely handwriting - I've always been envious of European handwriting; as most European schools seem to practice a very elegant way of writing cursive that a lot of British schools just don't do.

Back
Top Bottom