Questions about British Styles and Titles 3: Aug 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hypothetical title question:

If a British Prince married a British Princess and the former is not given a dukedom/earldom or is Prince of Wales, would she use her own princely title or her husband's? For example:

If HRH Princess Lilibet of Sussex married HRH Prince George of Wales or HRH Prince Louis of Wales, would she be HRH Princess Lilibet of Sussex or HRH Princess George/Louis of Wales?

If HRH Princess Charlotte of Wales married HRH Prince Archie of Sussex, would she be HRH Princess Charlotte of Wales or HRH Princess Archie of Sussex?

Are there any historical examples of this situation?

(And before anyone says it, "It will never happen" comments are unhelpful. The question is hypothetical for a reason.)

Historically, women take the feminine form of their husband's title whether they are titled or not. So, if Princess Lilibet married Prince George, she'd be HRH Princess George of Wales. Same with Princess Charlotte. She'd be HRH Princess Archie of Sussex.

Where I believe the difference would be between Lilibet/Charlotte and say, Catherine and Meghan, is if George and Archie were given dukedoms or earldoms, they could keep the word "Princess" before their names as they are princesses of the blood. For example, if George was created Duke of Albany (hypothetical, of course), Lilibet would be HRH Princess Lilibet, Duchess of Albany. Same with Charlotte if Archie was created Duke of Albany. She'd be HRH Princess Charlotte, Duchess of Albany.

Neither Catherine nor Meghan were ever Princess Catherine or Princess Meghan -- They are Princess William and Princess Henry.

A peerage is always considered higher than being a princess/prince, so while Catherine is HRH The Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge (etc), The Princess William, she only uses her highest title, which is HRH The Princess of Wales. The same would apply to other wives of peers. So in your example, 'HRH The Duchess of Albany' would be the way they would be addressed - independent of whether they were born as princesses.

A peerage is always considered higher than being a princess/prince, so while Catherine is HRH The Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge (etc), The Princess William, she only uses her highest title, which is HRH The Princess of Wales. The same would apply to other wives of peers. So in your example, 'HRH The Duchess of Albany' would be the way they would be addressed - independent of whether they were born as princesses.
But why was then the Duchess of Fife styled as Princess Arthur of Connaught, Duchess of Fife and not only as Duchess of Fife which was a Title she held of her own

But why was then the Duchess of Fife styled as Princess Arthur of Connaught, Duchess of Fife and not only as Duchess of Fife which was a Title she held of her own
Point taken, it seems a bit more complicated than I thought. Probably because at that time being a wife was even more important and needed to be stressed in the way she was addressed?

I found another counter example: HRH The Princess Mary, she was apparently referred to as HRH The Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles and later as HRH The Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood until she became the Princess Royal.

It is interesting that Princesses and Ladies are among the few women in the UK who keep formally being addressed by their first name after getting married (for example Lady Rose Gilman and HRH princess Beatrice, mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi) - if not married to a peer (or being the Princess Royal - although she is referred by her own title and not by her first name).

I found another counter example: HRH The Princess Mary, she was apparently referred to as HRH The Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles and later as HRH The Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood until she became the Princess Royal.
And also Princess Margaret who was styled as Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdown even after divorce

Queen Victoria's youngest daughter, Beatrice, became Princess Henry of Battenberg, even though she was a princess in her own right (and he was "only" a morganatic prince). Her niece became Princess Louis of Battenberg. And Princess Helena became Princess Christian. So, if Charlotte or Lilibet married a prince, presumably they'd use his name.

And also Princess Margaret who was styled as Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdown even after divorce
It seems that these cases are all about a marriage between a royal highness and a non-royal highness. In those cases, the two royal highnesses kept using the title that went along with their style as royal highness (followed by their husband's style); while the one who was elevated to the style of royal highness started using her husband's style primarily and her own secondly.

HH Princess Alexandra, Duchess of Fife marrying HRH Prince Arthur of Connaught became HRH Princess Arthur of Connaught, Duchess of Fife
HRH The Princess Mary marrying the Viscount Lascelles became HRH The Princess Mary, Viscount Lascelles
HRH The Princess Margaret marrying Antony Armstrong-Jones remaind HRH The Princess Margaret (or maybe was temporarily HRH The Princess Margaret, mrs. Antony Armstrong-Jones) became HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon about 1 1/2 years later when her husband was given an earldom.

In the example provided it would be a marriage between two royal highnesses, so, wouldn't the peerage with the style of royal highness trump the title of princess by blood (of someone already styled as HRH)?

Queen Victoria's youngest daughter, Beatrice, became Princess Henry of Battenberg, even though she was a princess in her own right (and he was "only" a morganatic prince). Her niece became Princess Louis of Battenberg. And Princess Helena became Princess Christian. So, if Charlotte or Lilibet married a prince, presumably they'd use his name.
Henry was made a royal highness the day before their marriage. If he had not been made a royal highness, I wonder whether she would have been styled differently.

Edit: in this entrance of the Gazette (d.d. March 27, 1896) Beatrice is mentioned as 'HRH the Princess Beatrice, princess Henry of Battenberg' and Helena as 'HRH the Princess Helena, princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein' - formally, they were of course married to foreign princes. Their sister, who married a (non-royal) peer: 'HRH the Princess Louise, Marchioness of Lorne'.

In the case of their sisters-in-law, who were all foreign princesses, their first names were not included, although in the case of Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, known as 'Her Royal and Imperial Highness The Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha here other titles 'Duchess of Edinburgh' (by marriage) and 'Grand Duchess of Russia' (by birth) were also included. Their niece Louise is entered as 'HRH The Princess Louise of Wales, Duchess of Fife' (her husband was an earl upon marriage but created Duke of Fife 2 days after the wedding but wasn't made a royal highness).

Last edited:
In the example provided it would be a marriage between two royal highnesses, so, wouldn't the peerage with the style of royal highness trump the title of princess by blood (of someone already styled as HRH)?

Fife wasn’t (and isn’t) a royal duchy; Princess Louise’s father had already been rather generous in upgrading Duff’s earldom to a dukedom, granting it again so that it could pass to her daughter, and styling her daughters as HRH — but that doesn’t make it the same as a dukedom granted to a royal.

Royal dukedom > royal > peerage.

Fife wasn’t (and isn’t) a royal duchy; Princess Louise’s father had already been rather generous in upgrading Duff’s earldom to a dukedom, granting it again so that it could pass to her daughter, and styling her daughters as HRH — but that doesn’t make it the same as a dukedom granted to a royal.

Royal dukedom > royal > peerage.
Their daughters weren't styled as royal highness but as highnesses (after initially being styled Lady X Duff); which is why I explained that it was a marriage between a highness (Alexandra) and a royal highness (Arthur). Note that it was Louise's mother Queen Victoria who made the Earl Fife a Duke (twice). Her father had no such powers (and had passed away many years earlier).

And there exist many peerages that aren't royal. Among the many peerages, there are a few royal peerages, i.e., peerages held by peers that are also royals (i.e., royal highnesses). The peerage itself is not necessarily royal as at some point it ceases to be royal: for example, the next dukes of Gloucester and Kent will not be royals, so those peerages cease to be 'royal peerages' at that point.

Nonetheless, I am not sure how that relates to the original hypothetical situation (marriage between two British royal highnesses) posed by HenRach Dominion that I discussed in the part that you quoted. So far, it seems that situation hasn't arisen as it would -in the most likely situation- have required two male-line (or heir) grandchildren of a UK monarch marrying each other [marriage between cousins wasn't out of the question in the past].

I mentioned it to clear up the confusion as people apparently felt the Duchesses of Fife should have been known simply as that, and outranking their royal status.

Note that it was Louise's mother Queen Victoria who made the Earl Fife a Duke (twice). Her father had no such powers (and had passed away many years earlier).
Note that this was her granddaughter, who later became Princess Royal. Her father became Edward VII and did indeed raise her daughters to royal rank.

I noticed that on the recent communications that Kate is referred to as Catherine, The Princess of Wales.
I was surprised about that too. I was expecting her to be styled HRH The Princess of Wales. My guess is because she wanted to emphasize the woman behind the position, but I believe there are examples of married women using both their names and their titles/marital names, so I'm not 100% sure about that.

Using the name and title with The is fine. It is wrong to refer to her as Catherine, Princess of Wales as that would signify she is divorced.

I mentioned it to clear up the confusion as people apparently felt the Duchesses of Fife should have been known simply as that, and outranking their royal status.

During the brief period of time between becoming Duchess of Fife and becoming Princess Arthur of Connaught, she was known as HH The Duchess of Fife. That her royal peerage was formerly a non-royal peerage doesn't seem to have influenced the manner in which she was styled.

HRH The Princess Margaret marrying Antony Armstrong-Jones remaind HRH The Princess Margaret (or maybe was temporarily HRH The Princess Margaret, mrs. Antony Armstrong-Jones) became HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon about 1 1/2 years later when her husband was given an earldom.

She remained HRH The Princess Margaret and never used "Mrs. Anthony Armstrong-Jones".

Henry was made a royal highness the day before their marriage. If he had not been made a royal highness, I wonder whether she would have been styled differently.

Probably not. Her cousin HRH Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge married HSH The Prince of Teck (as he was styled in the UK) in 1866. They were referred to as "Her Royal Highness The Princess of Teck and His Serene Highness The Prince of Teck" in the Gazette on at least one occasion.

She remained HRH The Princess Margaret and never used "Mrs. Anthony Armstrong-Jones".
So, unlike Beatrice and Eugenie, she was never referred to as 'HRH The Princess Margaret, mrs. 'husband's name'' - but they started doing that after her husband received a peerage? Beatrice and Eugenie don't seem to use it themselves either but the court does... for example in the line of succession:

9. Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
10. Miss Sienna Mapelli Mozzi
11. Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank

So, unlike Beatrice and Eugenie, she was never referred to as 'HRH The Princess Margaret, mrs. 'husband's name'' - but they started doing that after her husband received a peerage? Beatrice and Eugenie don't seem to use it themselves either but the court does... for example in the line of succession:

Yes, the London Gazette confirms that she was never styled Mrs. Antony Armstrong-Jones. The practice began with Princess Alexandra of Kent, who became Princess Alexandra, the Honourable Mrs. Angus Ogilvy (her husband did not become a knight untill later).

Given her husband only accepted a peerage not when they were married but so their eventual children would have courtesy titles, I think it’s reasonable to assume Margaret didn’t care to be known as Mrs. Armstrong-Jones, but was willing to let the countess title be attached to hers… she even kept it post-divorce, when she probably had enough social clout to drop it.

Elizabeth did not treat her sister the way she treated her other female relatives. The fount of honour is idiosyncratic.

Yes, the London Gazette confirms that she was never styled Mrs. Antony Armstrong-Jones. The practice began with Princess Alexandra of Kent, who became Princess Alexandra, the Honourable Mrs. Angus Ogilvy (her husband did not become a knight untill later).
Just to be clear: that's not what I have been referring to. I assume you mean she has never been styled 'HRH The Princess Margaret, mrs. Antony Armstrong Jones'. The current princesses are also never only styled by their husband's name but always in combination with their style and title of 'HRH Princess'.

Good to know that the practice was started with Princess Alexandra of Kent in april 1963 - so, 1 1/2 - 3 years (May 1960 - October 1961) after Margaret could have used a similar way of being styled/addressed. I assume Margaret just followed her aunt's Mary's example after her husband received his peerage - as her aunt was known as HRH The Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles (1922-1929) and as HRH The Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood (1929-1932) before she became 'The Princess Royal'.

Often it is mentioned that her husband turned down a peerage but Margaret's husband didn't get his peerage upon marriage either but only once Margaret was (8 months) pregnant. Is it known when the peerage was offered to Angus? Was it upon their marriage or also only once his wife was about to give birth?

I assume you mean she has never been styled 'HRH The Princess Margaret, mrs. Antony Armstrong Jones'.

Yes, I did. (I abbreviated since my thought was that the 'Princess' part was not in question, but you're absolutely right that I should have written it out in full for the benefit of others reading the thread who might not have read the full discussion.) :flowers:

Often it is mentioned that her husband turned down a peerage but Margaret's husband didn't get his peerage upon marriage either but only once Margaret was (8 months) pregnant. Is it known when the peerage was offered to Angus? Was it upon their marriage or also only once his wife was about to give birth?

I don't know for certain, but his Telegraph obituary stated:

Since Antony Armstrong-Jones had been created Earl of Snowdon after his marriage to Princess Margaret in 1960, it was assumed that Ogilvy would also be ennobled following his marriage in 1963 to the Queen's first cousin, Princess Alexandra, the daughter of the late Prince George Duke of Kent and Princess Marina Duchess of Kent. But a keen desire to pursue a City career unaffected by his marriage led him to refuse a peerage - an example followed 10 years later by Captain Mark Phillips, when he married Princess Anne.

Although his decision not to accept a title upset traditionalists, others considered it to be in tune with contemporary attitudes towards the Royal Family.

[...]

The birth of their two children briefly ignited the old discussion about Ogilvy's decision to refuse a title, since both the children were commoners.

Back
Top Bottom