Queen Margrethe's New Years Speeches 1972 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen to that one, Tarlita!

We have an expression here that rings better in Danish of course: Banditter i habitter, which translated roughly = crooks in suits.
Bankiers are creeping down towards journalists and politicians in regards to least respectable occupations.

:previous:
That was amazing to see that about the people of Denmark watching their queen give the speech.......Thank you Eya for sharing that.......love the doggie watching his queen.......so cute!:lol::lol:

Reactions: eya
As we grow up and older, our Monarch is our one constant in life. Always there with a kind word and wise words. And at Christmas it was always a tradition I grew up with to watch The Queens speech.
Sadly nowadays people here are too busy with other things or just don't care. Younger ones don't have the TIME for traditions anymore.
Australia's Queen is many miles away, yet we are delighted to see her when she visits.
And just like Denmarks Queen, our Armed Forces and Police swear their allegience to our distant British Queen. I better stop before I start a republic debate, which is what I don't want.

But having followed Crown Princess Mary's journey into the DRF I have come to love and respect Denmarks remarkable Queen, who has such wonderful qualities.
And I thank Muhler and others again who over the years have taken the time to translate her speeches for us. I raise a butterscotch schapps to you for all your kindnesses.
Cheers T.

When and at what time is QEII's speech aired in Australia?

I luv bertie would know. Usually Christmas Day around 3pm our time I think. But it becomes confusing now as Queensland is not on daylight savings time, like Sydney or Melbourne.
And I think her speech is repeated in the evening as well on our ABC.
I Luv Bertie would know.

In the afternoon on the 25th?

Bad time! Too late for it to become a lunch-event and too early for dinner.
I understand you Australians BBQ on the 25th? So I imagine people are all over the place in the afternoon that day.

True. Outside cooling off with a swim or torturing uncle jack playing backyard cricket with the cousins.
Now I have had more time to think about it just before dinner time or before the 6 pm news.
I have a hard time remembering things like that.

I looked it up and I was right the first time, 3pm. Which is why the ABC usually replay it in the evening as well.

Welcome to the club, I can't remember anything either. :D

That's an elaborate torture you have devised for poor uncle Jack!
Couldn't you just tie him down, smear his feet with honey and let your neighbor's poodles lick it off? :voodoo:

Good idea, Thank You Muhler.

As the observant among you may have noticed, New Year's Eve is almost upon us.

Here in DK that means the traditional live New Year speech by QMII on New Year's Eve at 18.00 - and that is usually the official start of the party.
The viewer rating is something others can only dream about: Well over two million, in a country of 5.8 million.

The speech has been known to the press for a couple of days, so that they can comment on it and publish it, the second QMII has finished speaking.
Some time ago the PM's office (Statsministeriet) send a draft to QMII suggesting a number of topics that QMII can address but she is also free to add topics herself.
Sometime here in December the court send a draft of the finished speech back to Statsministeriet for political approval. And unless the PM suggest a few modifications the speech is approved.

The speech is live, QMII believe it enhance the connection between her and the people.
She give her speech from behind a desk, she normally does not use herself. Her own desk is pretty untidy according to herself.
But what she does not know, or wish to know in advance, is how the big bouquet on the desk looks like. - Only that it is in some way coordinated with the dress she has decided to wear.
She starts her address at 18.00 sharp. And she uses paper not a teleprompter. Sometimes with the result that she mix up the papers.

When she has given her speech QMII will, with a number of photographers go to another room, where photos will be taken of her. Then she wish the production team a happy New Year, after which she proceeds to celebrate New Year herself either at Amalienborg or at the home of some friends.

Prior to the speech The guards on duty at Amalienborg will turn out with the regimental colour and form an honor guard outside Christian VIII's Mansion at Amalienborg and remain there until QMII has finished her speech.
There is always a significant crowd at Amalienborg at that time, both people who usually start the New Year celebration that way, but also proud relatives of the guardsmen on duty.
In the Royal Lifeguard Regiment, this is by far the most sought after watch at all! Alas, not all who volunteer for this watch can stand watch that night and some are on sentry duty as well.
Because their turn-out has to be 110 % perfect! As thousands of former guardsmen watch every detail with a critical or approving eye!
And it is after all no more than five or six months ago these guardsmen on duty were raw recruits.

Last edited:
"The details are being put into place on Her Majesty the Queen's desk in the reception room at Amalienborg, where the Majesty holds her annual New Year's speech at 6 pm. Among other things, there are three tupilaks on the table, which the Queen has personally received on various occasions. Tupilak means "the ancestor's soul" and is a small Greenlandic figure, formed in materials such as wood, bones, teeth and antlers from reindeer."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6vgckcAuis/

The New Year address from the Queen

http://kongehuset.dk/en/news/the-new-years-address-2019

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6vtJU0ApIF/

Video from the Queen's New Year Adress

The Palace shares pictures from the people who send their pictures as watch the message of Queen yesterday

Danskerne ser H.M. Dronningens nytårstale | Kongehuset

Last edited by a moderator:
She addresses many themes in her speech: climate change, loneliness, second world war, Schleswig-Holstein, Greenland and the Faroe Islands, soldiers and other civil servants, and her family (although a mention of Nikolai and Felix is missing). I really liked her little side note 'I knew he would be good at it' (when referencing Joachim's history documentary).

She addresses many themes in her speech: climate change, loneliness, second world war, Schleswig-Holstein, Greenland and the Faroe Islands, soldiers and other civil servants, and her family (although a mention of Nikolai and Felix is missing). I really liked her little side note 'I knew he would be good at it' (when referencing Joachim's history documentary).

It was a Queen with a cold, who gave her speech last night.

It was not a "floating speech" at was more a point by point listing.
The things that were most noted were the climate changes and putting that on top.
Then mentioning the rising antisemitism in DK - based on acts of vandalism perpetrated by a couple of Neo-Nazis. (But there is also day to day antisemitism perpetrated by mainly Muslims.)
And addressing loneliness.

She couldn't contain a proud smile when she mentioned Joachim.
But of course M&F were not left out either.

Not her best speech IMO, but a right speech. In the sense that she has again caught the trends and concerns of ordinary Danes and in her usual style managed to interject a remark about those who are not in the news: Hey, remember those who are alone!

Normally there is quite a crowd at Amalienborg square while QMII deliver her speech.
Partly to see the guardsmen and partly to start off New Year there.

This year the police has warned that if too many show up, the square will be closed to the public.

Are you able to watch this?
https://www.dr.dk/drtv/kanal/20875

It's a live link from DR1.

In one hour and ten minutes after this has been posted QMII will give her New Yeah address live. That is at 18.00 sharp DK time.

They have already started showing live from Amalienborg I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
The court has confirmed that QMII has not yet been vaccinated, but it will be announced when she has.
However, being 80 she belongs in the first category of some 1.5 million who will be vaccinated as soon as possible.

QMII has indeed been praised for her very heartwarm and genuine speech last night. It was the tribe's grandmother soothing as all.

It was very much noted that she did a double ending this year.
She always end her speech with God bless Denmark. This year she added a direct greeting to all Danes with the words: God bless you all.
On top of that she used an informal phrasing, indicating that here it was Margrethe, who happens to be queen, who wished all of us well.

She also mentioned the climate.
Some of you may recall that she in an interview in the spring acknowledged that there are climate changes, but that she was far from sure that they are all caused by human activity. It has unfortunately IMO become almost heresy for way too many if you dare suggest that the climate changes are not caused by human activity, or at least not only be human activity. As such she got a good deal of very vocal heat.
Some commentators suggest that she was making amends for her "transgression" - I'm not so sure however.

Very heartwarming she mentioned that so many have had to postpone or cancel major events like birthday celebrations, confirmations, weddings and so on. Including her own 80th celebrations.
She nevertheless felt that the way the Danes had marked her birthday had turned it into the best birthday celebration she has had. And that came across as unquestionably sincere.

Also very sincere was her pride and delight when she mentioned the way M&F had carried out their duties in the alternative ways that has been necessary this past year.
Her delight was also visibly when she thanked the public for their concern and well wishes after Joachim's stroke.

J&M were BTW celebrating New Year at Schackenborg with some friends, according to BB.

ADDED:
A detail that was mentioned last night before her speech.
It's no secret that QMII and technique are not that compatible. She and and the rest of the DRF has as you know had a very considerable success in their online updates, including QMII's "nisse-journey through the real", which bears all the hallmarks of QMII's creativity, flair for subtleties in the language as well as her talent for story telling.
She is not at all involved in the technical process, but she is informed about how many follow the updates and the comments.

Last edited:
It was very much noted that she did a double ending this year.
She always end her speech with God bless Denmark. This year she added a direct greeting to all Danes with the words: God bless you all.
On top of that she used an informal phrasing, indicating that here it was Margrethe, who happens to be queen, who wished all of us well.

I wonder if she chose her phrasing in recognition of the fact that many will be missing informal holiday chats this year.

She also mentioned the climate.
Some of you may recall that she in an interview in the spring acknowledged that there are climate changes, but that she was far from sure that they are all caused by human activity. It has unfortunately IMO become almost heresy for way too many if you dare suggest that the climate changes are not caused by human activity, or at least not only be human activity. As such she got a good deal of very vocal heat.
Some commentators suggest that she was making amends for her "transgression" - I'm not so sure however.

Interesting.

It's no secret that QMII and technique are not that compatible. She and and the rest of the DRF has as you know had a very considerable success in their online updates, including QMII's "nisse-journey through the real", which bears all the hallmarks of QMII's creativity, flair for subtleties in the language as well as her talent for story telling.
She is not at all involved in the technical process, but she is informed about how many follow the updates and the comments.

Agreed. Among all the European monarchs, this artistic flair steeped in cultural heritage seems like a hallmark of this Queen.

Moments like this speech of the Queen of Denmark make me want to have a German Monarch too.

We had one here in Germany by Mrs. Chancellor Merkel, which looked like under influence... - like every year... I feel, this terrible women with her stupid politics is longer in office than every Eastern European life time President!
https://i0.web.de/image/016/3539701...rsansprache-bundeskanzlerin-angela-merkel.jpg

And Denmark has this cultivated Queen and every Danish Family seems to have seen the speech of the Queen with good feelings... Happy Denmark!

Some time ago the PM's office (Statsministeriet) send a draft to QMII suggesting a number of topics that QMII can address but she is also free to add topics herself.
Sometime here in December the court send a draft of the finished speech back to Statsministeriet for political approval. And unless the PM suggest a few modifications the speech is approved.

https://underholdning.tv2.dk/royale/2020-12-31-saadan-bliver-dronningens-nytaarstale-til

"The draft of the Queen's New Year's speech will be written in the Prime Minister's Office.

It is a head of department, an official and a speech writer who makes the first draft of the speech, which is then sent to the Queen. Next, the queen looks at the speech with the court marshal and the cabinet secretary, political commentator Hans Engell explains."

"How much of the speech does she actually write herself?

It varies a lot, according to Hans Engell, how much the queen rewrites the draft.

- I have heard various messages. Some say the queen used almost the entire draft, others say she rewrote pretty much the entire speech, he says."

Last edited:
Moments like this speech of the Queen of Denmark make me want to have a German Monarch too.

We had one here in Germany by Mrs. Chancellor Merkel, which looked like under influence... - like every year... I feel, this terrible women with her stupid politics is longer in office than every Eastern European life time President!
https://i0.web.de/image/016/3539701...rsansprache-bundeskanzlerin-angela-merkel.jpg

But she also said that this is very likely her last New Years Speech as she does not candidate to become Chancellor another time in the upcoming elections.

Oh I always though Margrethe wrote her own speeches for NY. Its clear she adds her own parts to it e.g. the family etc. But I thought she (like QE2) used her annual address as the one time she could speak her own thoughts to the country.

Oh I always though Margrethe wrote her own speeches for NY. Its clear she adds her own parts to it e.g. the family etc. But I thought she (like QE2) used her annual address as the one time she could speak her own thoughts to the country.

She sure does!

QMII is infamous for cracking the whip using expressions that are very much her own and which no prime minister would tell her to say, hardly even suggest.
On the other hand you can sometimes tell what she has been "suggested" to address. - In this case the climate.
She duly did, and no more than that...
The informal greeting at the end was not a suggestion from the PM's office, that I'm willing to bet all my shoes on.
The personal details in regards to her family are also her own.
But so very much are the quiet personal observations like people feeling lonely. Something she has addressed before.

The speech this year was a given thing: Corona, Corona and more Corona including remarks of sympathy about those who have suffered, lost their jobs and lost their business.
As well as thanking those in the forefront and expressing sympathy for relatives who lost loved ones.
This would all IMO have come as key words or key phrases from the PM's office and I doubt QMII nor those who help her with the speeches would disagree on that.
They merely merged it together, garnished with the characteristic QMII'ish phrases.

QMII's draft goes back to the PM's office, just in case she intends to say something that will embarrass the government (or the opposition) too much or go against the current or planned policy of the government.
But as this was QMII's 49th speech while in office, I doubt they have to correct anything very often, if ever.
- And QMII can decide to ignore the advise and suggestions from the PM's office if she really wants to, she is after all head of state, but that would be very controversial!

QMII's speeches are a reflective, thoughtful, sometimes chastising, sometimes commending review of the past year.
While the PM's speech the following day is a political review of the past year and not least a broad outlining of the political plans for the coming year.

- If you compare QMII's New Year speeches with those from state visits, you can very much tell the difference. The follow a template and a clear draft outlined by the Foreign Ministry. In contrast to the New Year speeches you can predict pretty accurately what she will say

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom