Princess Aiko News and Current Events Part 4: January 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree HIH Princess Aiko wears this tiara , well I hope we will have many more occasions to see this tiara shine

Still wish that the IHA will see the light and declares Aiko Heir,as it should be in 2021AD.

Still wish that the IHA will see the light and declares Aiko Heir,as it should be in 2021AD.

This project may emerge if Hisahito has only daughters.

As there is a thread for succession discussions I have moved my reply over there:
Obviously the Imperial Household Agency cannot choose the heir any more than the Dutch Royal Household can choose the heir to the Dutch throne. In 2021 AD Japan is a democracy where the elected members of Parliament hold the power over imperial succession and membership of the imperial house.

[...]

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f68/succession-and-membership-issues-4108-69.html#post2441686

Last edited:
A question on precedence at the New Years ceremonies etc , will the now adult HIH Princess Aiko precede her aunt HIH Crown Princess Kiko ?

A question on precedence at the New Years ceremonies etc , will the now adult HIH Princess Aiko precede her aunt HIH Crown Princess Kiko ?

I hope other members who are knowledgeable about court precedence will be able to give you an official answer, but I would be extremely surprised if that turned out to be the case, because even in the monarchies where women have been given succession rights equal to men, a monarch's daughter does not precede a crown prince's wife (e.g. in Norway Princess Märtha Louise does not precede Crown Princess Mette-Marit).

The difference with Norway is, that CP Haakon and Märtha-Louise are both children of the king. In Japan the the CP is the emperor's brother. If Aiko had a brother, she would take precedence after him and before her uncle and aunt. So the question is: is she pushed back in precedence behind her aunt because she does not have a brother to be CP? It would look awkward if Aiko just took up Mako's place, imo. Demoting the Crown Princess in precedence would also look rather strange. So I'm quite curious how the IHA will arrange that.

Hmmm, I think Aiko should take precedence over her uncle.

Emperor's family > Crown Prince Akishino > Hitachi > Mikasa > Takamado

Hisahito walked behind Kako in 2013 when visiting Ise Shrine

2014 traditional arts performance: Aiko enters before her uncle

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your responses , I too am looking forward to how the IHA resolves the situation . Their recent record on public relations has not been good . I very much look forward to seeing HIH Princess Aiko on solo engagements in the future .

:previous:THIS a thousand times over!

She looks lovely!

The IHA cannot declare anyone the heir; only Parliament has the power to do so.

Most hereditary monarchies continue to discriminate in favor of male succession, so many female royals in 2021 will be bypassed for a male family member - Gabriella of Monaco is another well known example.

I responded to the quoted post in more detail here: Succession and Membership Issues

Hello Prisma , I hope the Princess was not disturbed by this news . I read recently that the Princess was due to attend a memorial service for Emperor Taisho on the same day . Is this incident the reason we have seen no pictures of the event ?

Hi fabaunty. No, I don't think the incident had any effect. Except for abdication/enthronement or wedding or farewell visits, the IHA doesn't normally release photos/video of court rituals.

There are 20+ court rituals annually and the public hardly sees anything beyond arrivals to the Imperial Palace captured by media or royal fans.

Thankyou Prisma , I had looked forward to pictures of HIH Princess Aiko's first official activity following her majority . We will just have to wait until the New Year ceremonies .

You're welcome! Court rituals are considered private activities* so the New Year events are Princess Aiko's first official appearances.

* enthronement related Daijō-sai ritual was controversial as extra budget was needed to construct the special halls, etc.

Princess Aiko's adulthood press conference is scheduled for the afternoon on March 17 at the Imperial residence. The press event was postponed 3 months in consideration of Aiko's university studies.

Sources: Sankei, Mainichi

Princess Aiko to Hold 1st Press Conference on March 17 - Nippon.com
Japan’s Princess Aiko, the only child of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako, will hold her first press conference on March 17, Imperial Household Agency officials said Thursday.

[...]

The press conference will take place during her university spring break.

The spring break is “the best period for the princess to consider answers to questions from the press while feeling that she became an adult,” an agency official said.

Live: Princess Aiko's coming-of-age press conference on March 17 after 2pm
ETA: FNN gallery and article says the press conference was about 30 minutes.
- TBS streamed about 13 minutes.
- Princess Aiko's dress looks yellow but FNN says it's pale green.
- She mentioned last night's magnitude 7.4 earthquake that struck northeast Japan (off Fukushima coast), "I am deeply saddened to hear that some of the victims of the earthquake last night died. I would like to express my deepest sympathies to the bereaved families and those affected by the earthquake." per TBS

Photos: Mainichi, Asahi, FNN, AP Images

- When asked about Mako, Aiko referred to her cousin as a reliable older sister, wishing her happiness for a long time, and refrained from discussing the marriage without the normal rites.
- Regarding her own marriage, "Marriage feels like it's a long way off, and I've never been aware of it. There's nothing special about the ideal partner, but it's like being together and making each other smile. I think [that] relationship is ideal."
- Pandemic measures: doors and windows open, number of reporters limited to 1 per company

Source: Mainichi

Princess Aiko vows to fulfill duties as adult in 1st news conference - Kyodo News (updated)
[...] the 20-year-old princess said she would "value each and every one of my duties," as she offered "heartfelt gratitude" to all those who had supported her journey up till now.

"(My parents') presence is irreplaceable, and they are always there closest to me, no matter what situation I'm in," she said.

Referring to a press conference in 2002 in which the empress tearfully thanked her daughter for being born, the princess said, "I also want to thank (my mother) for giving birth to me."

[...]

While the princess said she had not thought about marriage as it was still some way off, she said her ideal relationship would be one "where both parties can make each other smile by being together."

She said shyness and being a little too laid back were among her weaknesses, but added a strength is that "I can sleep anywhere."

At the start of the press conference, which lasted about 30 minutes, the princess expressed sympathy for those affected by a powerful earthquake off northeastern Japan that jolted wide areas of the country on Wednesday night.

[...]

Touching also on the Ukraine crisis, she said, "I am very heartbroken that many precious lives have been lost."

[...]

Last edited:
So lovely to see her without her mask. She seems like a well-balanced young lady. Such a shame she is not the future empress, though, I'm sure she does not mind skipping that burden. The little brooch is a lovely touch.

Why are the IHA are the IHA so determined to dress a 20yr old as an 80yr old princess ?She is obviously an accomplished young woman who could bring credit to the family ,They seem so blind to the benefits with the younger generations she could bring .

Why are the IHA are the IHA so determined to dress a 20yr old as an 80yr old princess ?She is obviously an accomplished young woman who could bring credit to the family ,They seem so blind to the benefits with the younger generations she could bring .

Because they view it as a uniform. The rules and conventions for Princesses of the Imperial Family ensure consistency and conservatism.

Princess Aiko sounds very mature and well-adjusted. I love her comment about her parents - shows she grew up within a warm and affectionate family.

Despite the conservative dress code/uniform, I believe the JIF have some influence over their clothes (Michiko's capes and saucer hats, Masako's ruffles, etc.) Some of Princess Aiko's clothes look a bit big/loose but she may prefer a looser fit or longer skirts right now. Perhaps her style will change (or not and that's ok) as she grows into her public role. Another thought I had was her weight has varied in recent years and since these uniforms/clothes for public duties are supposed to last for many years, a looser fit could be easier to adjust later.

Princess Aiko's press conference in Japanese: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/activity/activity/02/activity02-r040317.html

I hope for a full English translation someday (thinking of Japan Forward since it translated Princesses Ayako and Mako's engagement press conferences)

More English articles:

Japanese emperor's daughter says being an adult royal still 'rather tense', marriage far off | Nippon.com
Princess Aiko, the only child of Japanese Emperor Naruhito, said on Thursday that taking part in rituals as an adult member of the imperial family remained "rather tense" for her, and marriage is still far in the future.

[...]

In her debut news conference, Aiko, who spoke carefully and occasionally smiled shyly, said she was mainly focusing on her studies for now and that the reality of being an adult royal was just sinking in.

"For the first time I've taken part in a number of palace rituals, and I was rather tense. It seemed strange that I was being part of things that only my parents had done up to now."

Asked about her future plans and views on marriage, Aiko said she had just finished her second year at university, studying Japanese literature, and still has no clear picture of her future after that.

[...]

Instead, she described being raised "peacefully" and gave unusual glimpses of palace life, including jogging around the grounds with her father and a time she and her parents tried to sit together on a surfboard at the beach and ended up tumbling into the water.

"I've been mostly raised without worries, so I tend to do things at my own pace," she said. "From childhood, I've been a little shy, so I'll try hard from now on to conquer this."
Princess Aiko holds her first news conference as an adult | The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

“While cherishing each and every duty that I carry out, I want to do my best to be of help to the emperor and empress, as well as other imperial family members,” she said at a news conference that lasted about 30 minutes.

[...]

At the start of the news conference, Aiko touched upon the strong earthquake that struck the Tohoku region late on the previous night.

"I extend my deepest sympathy to bereaved family members as well as those who suffered damage as a result of the natural disaster," she said.

Regarding the role of imperial family members, Aiko referred to what her parents have often said about wanting to share in the public’s joy and sorrow while carrying out their duties.

"I believe that is the fundamental and most important point," Aiko said.

She revealed that she has become interested in the work volunteers do at disaster sites through the activities of a friend who has gone to Fukushima Prefecture as a volunteer to help in the reconstruction efforts there.

[...]

At the news conference, Aiko was asked about Hisahito's older sister who married last year to become Mako Komuro.

"She was like a dependable older sister to me, and I will always remember with gratitude how she was so friendly and kind to me," Aiko said. "As her cousin, I pray that she will be happy for many years."

[...]
ThePage's version of the press conference. Less annotations, graphics. I wonder why the full 30 minutes version is not released. Currently available videos are 13-14 minutes.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for the additional summaries.

Referring to a press conference in 2002 in which the empress tearfully thanked her daughter for being born, the princess said, "I also want to thank (my mother) for giving birth to me."

A very sweet callback and response, 20 years later!

The princess said she had "felt tense" during the [coming of age] ceremonies, and they made her realize that she "needed to approach each event with a sense of responsibility."
[...]
She said shyness and being a little too laid back were among her weaknesses, but added a strength is that "I can sleep anywhere."

I think the latter may be the first public comment from Princess Aiko which was not dictated by tradition (unless there is a Japanese cultural allusion I am overlooking). Funny and relatable.

- When asked about Mako, Aiko referred to her cousin as a reliable older sister, wishing her happiness for a long time, and refrained from discussing the marriage without the normal rites.

Is that a conventional term for cousins in Japanese, or does it hint at some closeness between the cousins? I hope it is the latter, and that their fathers' previous rift did not carry on to their children, who are probably the best positioned to offer sympathetic support to one another in their very special lifestyle as imperial family members.

Because they view it as a uniform. The rules and conventions for Princesses of the Imperial Family ensure consistency and conservatism.

Well put! As Queen Sonja of Norway has discussed, the public focus on the dress and appearance of royal women intensifies the pressure and deflects from their accomplishments in a way which is not experienced by royal men to the same degree. While the rigid dress codes at the Japanese court won't eliminate the pressure on royal women to be fashionable, it seems like a positive first step.

Princess Aiko sounds very mature and well-adjusted. I love her comment about her parents - shows she grew up within a warm and affectionate family.

Interesting; I had the same impression: that although thanking and saying a kind word about one's parents and upbringing is certainly expected under these circumstances, she seems to make an effort to credit them repeatedly.

"I've been mostly raised without worries, so I tend to do things at my own pace," she said. "From childhood, I've been a little shy, so I'll try hard from now on to conquer this."

I wonder how true that comment is to her genuine feelings. I think many of those who have followed the imperial family have speculated that it cannot have been entirely easy growing up with a mother struggling with serious adjustment disorder, a father in open conflict with his family, bullying at school, harsh comments from the public online, and whatever stress or illness led to the temporary but sudden weight loss during her teenage years.

Last edited:
Is that a conventional term for cousins in Japanese, or does it hint at some closeness between the cousins? I hope it is the latter, and that their fathers' previous rift did not carry on to their children, who are probably the best positioned to offer sympathetic support to one another in their very special lifestyle as imperial family members.

It's normal to view and mention older people that you like and care for (and above all, respect), but are not even related to, as "oneesan" (older sister)/older brother/uncle/aunt/grandma/grandpa/whatever familial relationship would be appropriate. Mainly formed when you are young.

To some extent it is a formality and I have no doubt she views Kako the same way, but given that Aiko is an only child, she quite likely does view her cousins as older sisters.

We can't say how close they really are, but she does seem to view them positively. The day she makes a statement about Hisahito will also be interesting.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you, that is helpful. What about the added "reliable/dependable" descriptor?

:previous: Thank you, that is helpful. What about the added "reliable/dependable" descriptor?

I think it's gilding the lily. Part of viewing someone as “oneesan” is that you do rely and depend on them to some extent, the way you would on an actual ideal blood older sibling — and as a choice in this case.

She’s mentioning it for praise, because otherwise it’s assumed and unremarkable.

Empress Masako watched Princess Aiko's press conference from a nearby room. Their Majesties are relieved the press conference was successfully completed.

Sources: https://news.tv-asahi.co.jp/news_society/articles/000248775.html
https://news.ntv.co.jp/category/society/c0c7debe46e244358fbcb37d8dddef99

Japan Forward didn't fully translate the press conference...

Princess Aiko Comes of Age: ‘Sharing in the Hardships and Joys of the People’ | JAPAN Forward
[...]

Princess Aiko was also asked about her thoughts on current affairs. Regarding the situation in Ukraine, she said, “I am heartbroken at the loss of so many lives.”

She then quoted her father’s words spoken at a press conference in February and said she felt the same: “I hope that interactions between people will transcend national and regional boundaries and lead to a peaceful world where people accept each other.”

Princess Aiko also wished for “a future where everyone can have a meaningful school life in an environment with as little anxiety as possible.” She shared that the pandemic has also affected her life, such as having to take university classes online.

When asked about her interests, she revealed that, in addition to classical literature, which she is studying at university, the rising number of natural disasters both in Japan and abroad has led her to take an interest in volunteering. She also mentioned that she was drawn to “working animals like guide dogs and hearing dogs” as an animal lover.

Regarding whether she wanted to study abroad or study at a graduate school, she simply said, “I hope to make that decision as I broaden my knowledge and pursue my interests throughout my university life.”

[...]

Reactions: eya
Lovely, poised and articulate. She is a credit to both her parents.

Wasn't she bullied at school at one point? I remember reading that she was taken out of school by her parents as a result.

Yes, she was bullied during elementary school. Masako accompanied her to school for around a year (?), I think she attended classes with Aiko for a while and then waited in a nearby room.

Princess Aiko enters her 3rd year at Gakushuin University on April 12 and will continue online classes for the time being.

Although she desires to attend in person, Princess Aiko consulted with IHA doctors about the pandemic situation and does not want to risk an infection route to her parents. Infections among teens and 20s are currently increasing.

Sources: https://news.tv-asahi.co.jp/news_society/articles/000250784.html , https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/343716

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom