Princely House of Lippe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May the old Fürstin rest in peace.

It would be nice to see Princesses Beatrix, Princess Irene and Princess Margriet zur Lippe-Biesterfeld attending the funeral of Princess Traute in their paternal ancestral homeland.

None of them attended her husbands funeral and as far as i know they only recent Event in the dutch RF they attended was the funeral f prince Bernhard so very unlikely
BTW she was never Fürstin only Princess. Her husband was not allowed to change his name in 1950.

None of them attended her husbands funeral and as far as i know they only recent Event in the dutch RF they attended was the funeral f prince Bernhard so very unlikely
BTW she was never Fürstin only Princess. Her husband was not allowed to change his name in 1950.

I thought no any Chef of no any Fürstliche Haus is allowed to have a name-change into Fürst (Fürstin) ?

But unofficially these are often called Fürst von Lippe, Fürst von Hohenzollern, Fürst von Thurn und Taxis, etc. ?

Very strange indeed, that no any of them did attend that funeral.

Their cousin Prince Armin zur Lippe, the previous Fürst, was one of the pages at the wedding of Princess Juliana and Prince Bernhard in 1937. Maybe WWII has something to do with it. The once so warm ties with the German royal families were kaltgestellt for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought no any Chef of no any Fürstliche Haus is allowed to have a name-change into Fürst (Fürstin) ?

But unofficially these are often called Fürst von Lippe, Fürst von Hohenzollern, Fürst von Thurn und Taxis, etc. ?

In recent years some have been officially allowed to change their names like the Fürst zu Castell-Rüdenhausen and the Fürst zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg. But all those lived in Bavaria.
Prince Armin always used the style Prince himself not Fürst.

Very few Lippe relatives are known to attend royal events in the Netherlands. I am not sure why. I remember photos of Bernhard and Juliana still going to the wedding of Armin's son and heir Stefan, the present prince of Lippe, to a niece of Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. But as far as German relations go I think that only the Prince and Princess of Waldeck are invited on a regular basis.

I believe that of the Lippe relations only Armin and his wife attended the funeral of Prince Bernhard. They were seated with the immediate family. Though the stepsons of Prince Aschwin may have been present too. One of the stepsons is also married to a Berleburg princess as well. It could be that the other Lippe relations were there and simply not mentioned on the guest list of course.

Last edited:
Very few Lippe relatives are known to attend royal events in the Netherlands. I am not sure why. I remember photos of Bernhard and Juliana still going to the wedding of Armin's son and heir Stefan, the present prince of Lippe, to a niece of Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. But as far as German relations go I think that only the Prince and Princess of Waldeck are invited on a regular basis.

I believe that of the Lippe relations only Armin and his wife attended the funeral of Prince Bernhard. They were seated with the immediate family. Though the stepsons of Prince Aschwin may have been present too. One of the stepsons is also married to a Berleburg princess as well. It could be that the other Lippe relations were there and simply not mentioned on the guest list of course.

Oh yes, Stephan and Thilo von Watzdorf, sons of Princess Simone zur Lippe-Biesterfeld née Arnoux formerly married to Vollrat von Watzdorf. Wikipedia claims: "Die Familie von Watzdorf ist ein thüringisches, später auch freiherrliches und seit 1719 gräfliches Adelsgeschlecht" but by my knowledge these Von Watzdorfs are part of the branch which is untitled Uradel (since 1137).

In the Dutch media there were some ri-di-cu-lous stories about Princess Beatrix (1938) having found a new amant: her step-cousin Thilo von Watzdorf (1944). His brother Stephan von Watzdorf indeed married Princess Stephanie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

Interesting that Prince Aschwin and Princess Simone were not interred in the family mausoleum in Lippe, but buried in The Hague: picture.

Last edited:
The funeral of Princess Traute has taken place last Friday, March 10, at the Christ Church in Detmold.

** Pic **

Guests included Gustav and Carina of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Alexander of Schaumburg-Lippe with wife Mahkameh, Heinrich of Hannover, Heinrich Donatus of Hessen.

** Pic ** Photos can be found on this private blog.

That is quite an impressive coffin on a catafalque. So to see it is a sort of lift descending down into the crypt of the church, to the princely mausoleum.

Usually the Dutch royals send wreaths with white flowers and white ribbons, but I have not detected one with a crowned B, a crowned I and a crowned M, from Beatrix, Irene and Margriet, Prinzessinnen zur Lippe-Biesterfeld.

Back
Top Bottom