Prince Philip Hospitalized for 'Pre-Existing Condition': December 20, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Philip Hospitalized

It’s a precaution, The Queen has just arrived at Sandringham and The DOE is in London so to me it’s quite clear there’s nothing to worry about.

He went from Sandringham to King Edward’s this morning.

He walked into hospital;

Last edited:
Prince Philip taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure for treatment of a pre-existing condition.

"The Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Norfolk this morning
to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and
treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition," the palace
said in a statement. "The admission is a precautionary measure,
on the advice of His Royal Highness’ Doctor."

He is 98....ofcourse there are concerns.

How dreadful being hospitalized at Christmas time when he was about to celebrate the holidays with his family at Sandrigham. I hope he is OK and recovers from whatever condition he has been admitted for.

Prince Philip is 98 years old, it is obvious that health problems are beginning to appear at this time. At this age all the care is little and the best is to prevent and so decided to hospitalize the Duke of Edinburgh.
I sincerely hope all is well.

How dreadful being hospitalized at Christmas time when he was about to celebrate the holidays with his family at Sandrigham. I hope he is OK and recovers from whatever condition he has been admitted for.

Bet the old fellah would be absolutely elated to avoid all the fuss of Christmastime with all the Firm.
The man is a Legend. Really hope he's ok.
Get well soon Sir.

What a rotten thing to happen, the Queen must truly be looking forward to seeing the back of 2019!

The DoE still has the spirit and mind of a young man, but his body is very frail.

I always hope for the best, and prepare for the worst when someone reaches that age.:sad:

It help remind us all that he’s nearly 99 years old.

i hope he is ok and he Will be ablebto spend holiday with his familly..
Wishing him a speed recovery

I've been wondering about his health for a while. I hope that this visit to the hospital is exactly as has been described, just a precautionary one.

He was in hosptial too over Christmas a few years ago. But that was a hosptital close to Sandringham. Wonder why he was brought to London this time.

He was in hosptial too over Christmas a few years ago. But that was a hosptital close to Sandringham. Wonder why he was brought to London this time.

Apparently this time it's (just) a scheduled appointment.

I somehow don’t think this was a long pre-planned admission but rather a short one that turned out to be needed. And his doctor who likely works at King Edward VII Hospital in London probably wanted to have him in there for observation, rather than having him admitted to Cambridge or Norwich.

He is after all 98. 99 in June. That alone is a cause for concern when you have to visit the hospital.

I hope he has a quick recovery and will be spending Xmas at home with his family

At 98 years young, the statement that this gentleman walked into the hospital powered by his own steam tells me he's there because he knows he needs to be and most likely cooperate with the medical teams taking care of him, get what is needed done and walk out powered by his own steam and be back at Sandringham for his Christmas dinner. At least, that's my hope and wish.

I think if there was anything we would really need to be concerned about, the Queen would have accompanied her husband. Then again, what do I know? ?

Last edited:
I suspect that it was pre planned and if it were a cause for concern HM would have stayed in London rather than make the journey to Sandringham when likely Philip was practically on his way already. Everything I’ve heard is it was pre-planned and there is no reason, other than not wanting to, not to believe that.

That said at Philip’s age any admission to hospital is a cause for concern. Though I wonder if Philip may not secretly be happy to have an excuse to duck out of any Christmas events now lol

Last edited:
Looking it from the viewpoint of a senior citizen (me) who is almost 30 years Philip's junior, it seems logical to me that Philip would check into the hospital for the duration of whatever reasons took him there in the first place.

Looking at a map, its 114.9 miles (184.91363 km) between Sandringham and Buckingham Palace. Even with the best available transportation, to make that trip to the hospital, have done whatever is needed to be done and then to travel the distance right back to Sandringham would make me cringe and feel my aching bones before even starting out. :D

Instead of checking into a nearby hotel (the Goring?) or even BP and resting between the trips to and fro, Philip is admitted to the hospital and then can go about whatever needs done in a timely manner that isn't too stressful and hectic.

Philip is a no nonsense kind of guy and pragmatic so I can see him taking the most logical and the most convenient way of doing things. Gives him a chance to ogle the nurses and make a few quick quips and gaffes in the true style of The Duke of Edinburgh. :lol:

Last edited:
Bet the old fellah would be absolutely elated to avoid all the fuss of Christmastime with all the Firm.
The man is a Legend. Really hope he's ok.
Get well soon Sir.
He is indeed, a legend. But he enjoys Christmas, unashamedly ditches Cristmas Church Parade, and loves the Annual Boxing Day Hunt.

It is also his annual opportunity to tune up any family members in need of it. [emoji6]

I echo so many sentiments here from previous posts. I can imagine he won't want a fuss made of him. Hope his children can stagger their visits to see him if he has a longer stay.
I wish him all the very best.

It seems like it's just an annual checkup so nothing to worry about, but at Philip's age it's better to be safe than sorry. I hope he gets well soon and will be able to travel to Sandringham in time for Christmas Day (perhaps he won't go to the walk up to church this year).

The timing is odd for an annual checkup, and indeed, that is not what the announcement from BP said or implied. If it were non-urgent, it could surely have waited for a couple of weeks, so as it is, the timing can't help but raise questions. So far as the Queen choosing to leave for Sandringham as scheduled, she can hardly do anything else, or we'd all be assuming Philip is at death's door. I'm sure she is in touch with both Philip and his doctor, but the optics are a little unusual all the way around.

It does not seem like an annual check up at all.. it seems like he's ill and at hs age, that's serious...

Let's face it, at his age every health problem is alarming, even problems that would be insignificant for a Younger person. I really wish him well.

Back
Top Bottom