On This Day: Portuguese Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the time of his birth Dom João was the son and heir of the 7th Duke of Braganza.

March 26, 1212 ~ Demise of King Sancho I of Portugal at Coumbra, Portugal

March 28, 1835 ~ Demise of Auguste de Beauharnais, 2nd Duke of Leuchtenberg, first husband of Queen Maria II of Portugal

March 31, 1359 ~ Birth of Philippa of Lancaster, Queen of Portugal, daughter of John of Gaunt, the wife of King John I of Portugal

Last edited by a moderator:
April 4, 1819 ~ Birth of Queen Maria II of Portugal in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

April 26, 1648 ~ Birth of King Pedro II of Portugal at Ribeira Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

May 5, 1210 ~ Birth of King Afonso III of Portugal in Coimbra, Portugal

May 13, 1767 ~ Birth of King John VI of Portugal at the Queluz Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

On this day, May 25, 1786 ~ Demise of King Pedro III of Portugal, husband and uncle of Queen Maria I of Portugal

May 28, 1357 ~ Demise of King Afonso IV of Portugal in Lisbon, Portugal

May 28, 1357 ~ Demise of King Afonso IV of Portugal in Lisbon, Portugal

Afonso IV, Bravo is buried beside his wife Beatriz at Lisbon cathedral,his widow outlived him by just 2 years.

The Royal pantheon was badly damaged in the 1755 Lisbon earthquake.

May 31, 1469 ~ Birth of King Manuel I of Portugal in Alcochete, Portugal

May 31, 1469 ~ Birth of King Manuel I of Portugal in Alcochete, Portugal

At the time of Manuel's birth her was the 9th child of Infante Ferdinand, Duke of Viseu and Beja and Infanta Beatriz of Portugal .
His mother,Beatriz was a granddaughter of João I of Portugal & Philippa of Lancaster.
The Infanta Beatriz lived to see the accession of her son in 1495 and died 10 years later.

June 6, 1760 ~ The Wedding of Maria I, Queen of Portugal and Pedro III, King of Portugal

June 6, 1760 ~ The Wedding of Maria I, Queen of Portugal and Pedro III, King of Portugal

The Infante Pedro was also Maria's uncle and they did not become King and Queen until 1777 .

408px-Retrato_duplo_de_D._Maria_I_e_D._Pedro_III_-_s%C3%A9culo_XVIII_%28Museu_Nacional_dos_Coches%2C_Antigo_Picadeiro_Real%29.png

June 11, 1557 ~ Demise of King John III of Portugal at the Palace of Ribeira in Lisbon, Portugal

June 21, 1646 ~ Birth of Marie Francoise of Savoy, Queen of Portugal
She was spouse of King Afonso VI of Portugal.
She was spouse of King Pedro II of Portugal.

July 2, 1932 ~ Demise of King Manuel II of Portugal in exile in London, England

July 5, 1717 ~ Birth of King Pedro III of Portugal at the Ribeira Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

July 15, 1837 ~ Birth of Stephanie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, Queen of Portugal, wife of King Pedro V of Portugal

July 17, 1859 ~ Demise of Stephanie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, Queen of Portugal, wife of King Pedro V of Portugal

On this day, July 19, 1415 ~ Demise of Philippa of Lancaster, Queen of Portugal, wife of King John I of Portugal

July 31, 1750 ~ Demise of King John IV of Portugal in Lisbon, Portugal

July 31, 1812 ~ Birth of Amelie of Leuchtenburg, Empress of Brazil, wife of Emperor Pedro I of Brazil (King Pedro IV of Brazil), in Milan, Lombardy-Venetia

August 4, 1699 - Demise of Maria Sofia of Neuberg, Queen of Portugal, wife of King Pedro II of Portugal, in Lisbon, Portugal

August 4, 1699 - Demise of Maria Sofia of Neuberg, Queen of Portugal, wife of King Pedro II of Portugal, in Lisbon, Portugal

The queen is buried at the Monastery of São Vicente de Fora in Lisbon which houses the principal burial site of the House of Braganza.

351px-Maria_Sophia_Elisabeth_Regina_Petri_II_Portugalliae_et_Algarbiorum_Regis_Uxor_%28c._1690%29_-_Jacques_Blondeau.png

August 6, 1666 - Birth of Maria Sofia of Neuberg, wife of King Pedro II of Portugal, at Schloss Benrath outside Dusseldorf in the Electorate of Palatine-Neuberg

On this day, July 19, 1415 ~ Demise of Philippa of Lancaster, Queen of Portugal, wife of King John I of Portugal

Its believed that the queen died of the plague and had left Lisbon but died at Sacavém in Portugal.
Philppa had been queen for over 28 years.
Her remains are buried at the Monastery of Santa Maria da Vitória , in Batalha.

321px-D._Filipa_de_Lencastre_%28Quinta_da_Regaleira%29.png

August 14, 1754 ~ Demise of Maria Anna of Austria, Queen Consort of King John V of Portugal, in Lisbon, Portugal

The queen was also Regent of Portugal from 1742 until 1750 ,following her death in 1754 her remains were buried at the Pantheon of the Braganzas her heart was however brought back to Vienna and buried at the Imperial Crypt.

351px-D._Maria_Ana_de_%C3%81ustria%2C_Rainha_de_Portugal_-_Pompeo_Batoni_%28Pal%C3%A1cio_Nacional_da_Ajuda%29.png

August 18, 1890 ~ Birth of Augusta Victoria of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, wife of King Manuel II of Portugal, in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

August 21, 1643 ~ Birth of King Afonso VI of Portugal at Ribiera Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

August 28, 1481 ~ Demise of King Afonso V of Portugal in Lisbon, Portugal

August 29, 1966 ~ Demise of Augusta Victoria, wife of King Manuel II of Portugal in Baden, Germany

September 7, 1683 ~ Birth of Maria Anna of Austria, Queen of Portugal, wife of King John V of Portugal, in Linz, Austria

September 12, 1683 ~ Demise of King Afonso VI of Portugal at Royal Palace of Sintra in Sintra, Portugal

September 15, 1837 ~ Birth of King Pedro V of Portugal at the Palace of Necessidades in Lisbon, Portugal

September 24, 1834 ~ Demise of King Pedro IV of Portugal (Emperor Pedro I of Brazil) at Queluz Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

September 28, 1863 ~ Birth of King Carlos I of Portugal at the Ajuda Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

Wasn't this the birthday of Queen Amelie as well?

October 12, 1798 ~ Birth of King Pedro IV of Portugal at Queluz Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

October 13, 1613 ~ Birth of Luisa de Guzman, Queen of Portugal, wife of King John IV of Portugal, in Sanlucar, Spain

October 19, 1889 ~ Demise of King Luis I of Portugal at the Citadel of Cascais in Cascais, Portugal

October 22, 1689 ~ Birth of King John V of Portugal at Ribeira Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

October 25, 1495 ~ Demise of King John II of Portugal

October 26, 1802 ~ Birth of King Miguel I of Portugal at the Queluz National Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

October 29, 1816 ~ Birth of Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, King Consort of Portugal, spouse of Queen Maria II of Portugal, in Vienna, Austria

October 31, 1838 ~ Birth of King Luis I of Portugal at the Palace of Necessidades in Lisbon, Portugal

Wasn't this the birthday of Queen Amelie as well?

What an excellent observation! Yes, Queen Amelie was born on September 28, 1865.

November 6, 1656 ~ Demise of King John IV of Portugal at Ribeira Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

November 11, 1861 ~ Demise of King Pedro V of Portugal at Necessidades Palace

November 14, 1866 ~ Demise of King Miguel I of Portugal in Bronnbach, Ducy of Baden

November 15, 1889 ~ Birth of King Manuel II of Portugal at Belem Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

December 2, 1826 ~ Demise of Archduchess Maria Leopoldina of Austria, Empress of Brazil, Queen of Portugal, wife of Pedro I of Brazil/Pedro IV of Portrugal

December 9, 1810 ~ Birth of Auguste de Beauharnais, 2nd Duke of Leuchtenberg, first husband of Queen Maria II of Portugal, at the Royal Villa of Monza in Italy

December 11, 1826 ~ Demise of Maria Leopoldina of Austria, Empress of Brazil, Queen of Portugal

December 15, 1885 ~ Demise of Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, King Consort of Portugal, husband of Queen Maria II of Of Portugal

December 17, 1734 ~ Birth of Queen Maria I of Portugal at Ribeira Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

December 17, 1734 ~ Birth of Queen Maria I of Portugal at Ribeira Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

2 of the future queens sisters died unmarried but were put forward as potential French brides!

Infanta Maria Ana Francisca of Portugal :potential bride for Louis, Dauphin of France
(1736 – 1813)

Infanta Maria Doroteia of Portugal : a proposed bride for Philippe d'Orléans, Duke of Orléans.
(1739 – 1771)

December 27, 1683 ~ Demise of Maria Francisca of Savoy, twice Queen of Portugal, spouse of King Afonso VI of Portugal and King Pedro II of Portugal

January 7, 1830 ~ Demise of Carlota Joaquina of Spain, Queen Consort of King John VI of Portugal at Queluz Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

January 7, 1830 ~ Demise of Carlota Joaquina of Spain, Queen Consort of King John VI of Portugal at Queluz Palace in Lisbon, Portugal

The queen dowager is buried at the Monastery of São Vicente de Fora.
379px-Retrato_de_D._Carlota_Joaquina.jpg

January 15, 1781 ~ Demise of Mariana Victoria of Spain, Queen Consort of King Joseph I of Portugasl

January 22, 1799 ~ Birth of Archduchess Maria Leopoldina of Austria, Empress of Brazil, Queen of Portugal, spouse of Emperor Pedro I of Brazil/King Pedro IV of Portugal

January 26, 1876 ~ Demise of Amelie of Leuchtenberg, Empress of Brazil, spouse of Emperor Pedro I of Brazil

January 26, 1876 ~ Demise of Amelie of Leuchtenberg, Empress of Brazil, spouse of Emperor Pedro I of Brazil

Following the death of the Dowager Empress she left a lot of her jewels to her sister Queen Josephine of Sweden one of the tiaras inherited was the Braganza tiara worn by the present queen of Sweden.

Back
Top Bottom