Mako and Kei Komuro News and Current Events Part 1: October 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mako Komuro is now reportedly assisting curators at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

" Mako is serving as an unpaid volunteer at the Met. The 30-year old is working within the museum's Asian art collection and has specifically been involved in preparing an exhibition of paintings inspired by the life of a 13th-century monk who traveled throughout Japan as he introduced Buddhism."

https://people.com/royals/japans-fo...after-giving-up-her-titles-to-marry-for-love/

According to the linked Japan Times report on which People bases its story, the information originates from "a source well-versed in the matter". I wonder if that "source" would be Mako or an IHA official.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/04/11/national/mako-komuro-met-volunteering/

Either way, I assume the museum volunteering story is being floated as a gauge of public opinion about Mako potentially accepting a similar but paid position there. I find it interesting that People's reporter apparently asked an expert to comment on whether Mako was qualified for the role, as I think that is the most likely object of the criticism she would receive from Japan, whereas I'm not sure whether it is a question that would be asked by many of People's readers in America.

ETA: Or perhaps it was leaked in anticipation of Kei's second failure to pass the bar becoming known, as a way to clarify that Mako's financial future will not necessarily be dependent on Kei.

There is also a serious error in the People magazine article: The quote which they attribute to the (Imperial Household) law is nowhere to be found in it.
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-kunaicho/hourei-01.html

I was just wondering, because there was much talk, that a husband of an Imperial Princess must be able to provide for her livelihood and this at a certain level...

In addition to the good analysis from Heavs, I think there is also an element of gender-based expectation that the husband should take responsibility for financially providing for the wife and not the other way around. (Thank you for yukari and Prisma for the information illustrating that this is a simplistic assumption because it has been proven possible for ex-royal women to earn their keep.) In the European monarchies, the boyfriends and husbands of princesses are also evaluated by their careers to a greater extent than the girlfriends and wives of princes.

Last edited:
I think he gets one more try. …Or he will find something else to do.

If he can’t pass I suppose it could affect his employment/immigration status.

He can try as many times as he needs to pass the bar exam. Most states don't have a maximum number (and New York is one of them); less than half of them do (21 states). See this overview.

Those with a maximum allow:
2 times: 1 state (discretionary, so you can apply for an exception)
3 times: 6 states (discretionary, so you can apply for an exception)
4 times: 6 states (both discretionary and absolute)
5 times: 4 states (both discretionary and absolute)
6 times: 4 states (both discretionary and absolute)

In New York those that pass typically do so in their first attempt (passing percentages around 70%); for those on repeat attempts the passing rate is much lower: about 30% [based on data from 2007-2018]

Last edited:
He can try as many times as he needs to pass the bar exam. Most states don't have a maximum number (and New York is one of them); less than half of them do (21 states). See this overview.

Those with a maximum allow:
2 times: 1 state (discretionary, so you can apply for an exception)
3 times: 6 states (discretionary, so you can apply for an exception)
4 times: 6 states (both discretionary and absolute)
5 times: 4 states (both discretionary and absolute)
6 times: 4 states (both discretionary and absolute)

In New York those that pass typically do so in their first attempt (passing percentages around 70%); for those on repeat attempts the passing rate is much lower: about 30% [based on data from 2007-2018]

Thank you for the info.

Well, the July exam is in 103 days…:ermm:

It's good New York doesn't have a maximum on exam attempts but that doesn't mean his employer will keep him until he finally passes. My friend's sister was hired at a California law firm that only allowed 2 attempts.

Nikkansports cites the Daily Mail that Mako visited former US Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy in December. Kennedy worked for the MET and it's possible the meeting was a consultation. Komuro is eligible to stay in the US under the "OPT Program" which is an extension of his student visa (F-1). In that case, as his spouse, Mako is not allowed to work in the US.

Nikkansports also notes "Mako Komuro, adapted by John T. Carpenter, February 3, 2022" is credited on the MET webpage for Yamada Shinza hanging scroll paintings.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/843269 (scroll down and expand Catalogue Entry)

If Mako can get her own visa and become an official MET employee, news-postseven reports she could earn an annual income of 15 million Yen ($118,682 USD)

If Mako can get her own visa and become an official MET employee, news-postseven reports she could earn an annual income of 15 million Yen ($118,682 USD)

Which may not be enough to keep them in their upscale Manhattan apartment, by itself. Manhattan is less expensive than Tokyo, but not that much less.

Mako is fortunate that being an ex-princess may smooth some of her visa adjustments, but there are no guarantees there, either.

Yep, Kei has difficulties, with which I can identify:

My English is good enough for small talk, but the "Lawyer's English" is a totally different story - no chance!

Do we know in which part of the law Kei tries to become a lawyer? Here in Germany we have the "Volljurist", what means a lawyer must be fit in all aspects of the law. But from what I heard, in the USA a lawyer can get a license for a small part of the law - civil or penal or public.

If memory serves it took JFK Jr 3 times to pass the NY State Bar exam. ..but then again Kei Komuro does not have access to a multimillion dollar trust fund to fall back on as a last resort.:ermm:

I feel for the guy. English is not his first language. He is married to a princess. And the eyes of the world are on him. :sad:

Yep, Kei has difficulties, with which I can identify:

My English is good enough for small talk, but the "Lawyer's English" is a totally different story - no chance!

Do we know in which part of the law Kei tries to become a lawyer? Here in Germany we have the "Volljurist", what means a lawyer must be fit in all aspects of the law. But from what I heard, in the USA a lawyer can get a license for a small part of the law - civil or penal or public.

Kei's bio indicates 3 law degrees and his focus is Business Law.
https://www.lowenstein.com/people/attorneys/kei-komuro
Fordham University School of Law (J.D. 2021) Fordham University School of Law (LL.M. 2019) cum laude
Hitotsubashi University Graduate School (M.B.L. 2018) (Masters Business Law).
One would assume his command of English is quite good to complete law school with honors.

Passing the bar in the US is rigorous. My husband, a Seton Hall Law School alumni had to take additional courses in land use when moving to the NW. So there are differences from state to state regarding bar exams.

Most states in the US including New York now administer the Uniform Bar Examination or UBE consisting of 3 parts.
1.The Multistate Performance Test or MPT consists of two 90-minute items designed to assess fundamental lawyering skills.
2.The Multistate Essay Exam or MEE consists of six 30-minute essays in Constitutional Law, Contracts and Sales, Criminal Law and Procedure, Evidence, Federal Civil Procedure, Real Property, and Torts, plus Business Associations (Agency, Corporations, and Partnerships), Conflicts of Law, Family Law, Secured Transactions, Trusts & Future Interests, and Wills & Decedents’ Estates.
3.Multistate Bar Exam or MBE consists of 200 multiple-choice questions that test the following areas: Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Contracts & Sales, Criminal Law & Procedure, Evidence, Real Property, and Torts.

In addition New York requires completion of an online Course NYLC and Examination NYLE specific to New York law.

Seriously, poor Kei, hopefully his law firm will keep him on until he passes the Bar.

Kei's bio indicates 3 law degrees and his focus is Business Law.
Seriously, poor Kei, hopefully his law firm will keep him on until he passes the Bar.

Thank you, Lady Daly, for the information. So, it is indeed difficult to get a license in NY, NY...

Good Luck to Kei!

I have faith in Kei. It is not easy, otherwise many people would be lawyers. Lots of stress on him knowing the World is watching.

J. F. Kennedy Jt took the bar exam twice. He commented he would take it until he passed. He passed on the third try.

Here is a links to some famous people who failed the bar.

https://crushendo.com/famous-people-failed-the-bar-exam/

https://testmaxprep.com/blog/bar-ex...es-who-failed-the-bar-exam-barmax-mpre-review

John F. Kennedy Jr., failed the NY bar exam twice before he passed on his third try.
Hillary Clinton, the 67th Secretary of State, failed the D.C. bar exam on her first attempt but passed the Arkansas bar.
Michelle Obama, the current first lady, failed the IL bar exam on her first attempt.
Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States of America, failed the New York bar exam on his first attempt.
Jerry Brown, the current governor of California, failed the CA bar exam on his first attempt before passing on his second attempt.
Kathleen Sullivan, former Dean of Stanford Law School, failed the CA bar exam on her first attempt.
Pete Wilson, former governor of California, failed the California bar exam three times before he passed on his fourth try.
Antonio Villaraigosa, the mayor of California, failed the CA bar exam four times before finally calling it quits.
Harold Ford Jr., former United States Congressman, sat for and failed the Tennessee bar exam.
Kin Kardashian passed on the 4th try….it was a mini bar exam in CA.

So many more not memtioned.

I feel bad for the guy. Having others watch as you try to pass one of the hardest tests in another country in an acquired language has to be its own circle of hell. He would have had to be an absolute genius to pass on his first or second try.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 Students | USCIS (if Japan's media is correct about Kei using OPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study. Eligible students can apply to receive up to 12 months of OPT employment authorization before completing their academic studies (pre-completion) and/or after completing their academic studies (post-completion). However, all periods of pre-completion OPT will be deducted from the available period of post-completion OPT.

[...]

Cap-gap Extension for F-1 Students with Approved H-1B Petitions

If you are an F-1 student with a timely filed H-1B petition and change of status request, and your F-1 status and employment authorization will expire before the change of status to H-1B occurs (typically Oct. 1), you may be eligible for a cap-gap extension. Go to our Cap-Gap Extension page for more information.
The July 2021 bar exam was held remotely whereas the February 2022 bar exam was held in-person.

February FNN article asked international lawyer Hiroshi Kiyohara with NY qualification about the retake challenges:
- Different pressure
- Retakers are usually juggling work and studying. Less preparation than July.
- Visa becomes important. Student visas expire around May. It's not clear which visa Kei has. Did his employer sponsor a working visa?

Following Kei's 2nd failure to pass, FNN spoke to Kiyohara again in April:
- If Kei failed due to the 200-multiple-choice questions, then passing could be closer next time.
- If the deadline for extending the student visa expires in May of this year, you will lose your status of residence in the United States. Working visas for people who want to become lawyers like Mr. Komuro are currently on a lottery system. You have to apply for the lottery and win.
- Mako may be able to obtain a non-lottery work visa for researchers and others if she works locally as a curator.
- Visa status will become clear in June. If he continues to work at a law firm, this obviously means that Kei Komuro already has a work visa.

The media asked about Kei's test results at the Akishino-no-miya regular press conference on April 15. Top aide Takaharu Kachi didn't have a direct report yet and could not give any particular impressions for the Crown Prince couple's reaction.

According to people familiar with the matter, Kei Komuro already informed those around him that he did not pass. The source said he works late into the night.

Another FNN article on April 15 (JST) says Kei informed his former law firm in Japan about his failure and intention to retake the bar exam in July.

Last edited:
I feel bad for the guy. Having others watch as you try to pass one of the hardest tests in another country in an acquired language has to be its own circle of hell. He would have had to be an absolute genius to pass on his first or second try.

Which is why it would have been wiser if they married after he settled; pass his exam or has steady/stable income. Let's say 2 more years. They are starting life in a foreign country after all. I mean, her aunt got married at 36 years old and she's only 30. If it's about having kid, the current technology has made it possible for 40 years old having baby for the first time.

Which is why it would have been wiser if they married after he settled; pass his exam or has steady/stable income. Let's say 2 more years. They are starting life in a foreign country after all. I mean, her aunt got married at 36 years old and she's only 30. If it's about having kid, the current technology has made it possible for 40 years old having baby for the first time.

However, unlike commoner couples or even European royals, they could not be seen as living together. That would be putting BOTH of their lives on hold for yet another two years when they've waited years already. That's just cruel. And her aunt has remained childless...

The IHA could have also push for the marriage sooner rather than later. If the measure passes to have Japanese princesses retain their titles and positions even after marriage, then the IHA would probably rather have made Mako ineligible for that than risk her continuing to represent the Japanese Imperial Family while married to the unpopular Kei Komuro.

However, unlike commoner couples or even European royals, they could not be seen as living together. That would be putting BOTH of their lives on hold for yet another two years when they've waited years already. That's just cruel. And her aunt has remained childless...

Many, if not most- European Royal couples have lived together openly before marriage.

With William/Kate and Daniel/Victoria of Sweden holding the record.

But I agree that in the Japanese Imperial Family there is no way for that to have happened.

You mean living together in America, which mean Mako would have to fly back and forth between Japan-USA every time she needed to do her princess duty? Of course there'd be an uproar because she'd be wasting taxpayer money.
Or living together in an apartment in Japan which either would mean Kei needed to find a job in Japan or he'd do his American job from Japan? Would it possible?

And why would postponing means putting their life on hold? Does Kei need Mako to be beside him to take bar exam and do his job? Does Mako couldn't do anything without Kei to do her everyday activity? Really? I don't think that kind of relationship where one can't function without the other is healthy.

Mako and Kei are in their 30s, not teenagers, they should now the consequences of their choice and this scrutiny is one of it. Life is not some shōjo manga where love is enough to answer all problem.

As for the Kurodas, who knows if it's their choice? I mean, Kiko "miraculously" gave birth to a son at 40 years old in 2006. Sayako is 2 years younger than her and both husbands are good friend so surely an advice or two about a doctor recommendation could be exchanged. They're not without resources if they really want kid, Mr Kuroda is not without money to make an appointment to some fertility clinic if it's necessary.

The IHA could have also push for the marriage sooner rather than later. If the measure passes to have Japanese princesses retain their titles and positions even after marriage, then the IHA would probably rather have made Mako ineligible for that than risk her continuing to represent the Japanese Imperial Family while married to the unpopular Kei Komuro.

I doubt it will pass in the next 5 years or even another decade, it's not a priority nor urgent matter in Japan right now. Would it take that long for Kei to pass his bar exam to secure his job? I thought he's smart. More so, I suspect IHA actually doesn't want it (letting princesses retain their position) to pass and if the IHA doesn't want it, the gov will not push it.

Mako and Kei Komuro looked happy and relaxed when shopping in New York City yesterday, June 7:

** gtresnews gallery **

Kei Komuro has passed the NY bar exam according to NHK which interviewed Yoshihiko Okuno, a lawyer who was the head of the law office where Kei used to work in Japan.

Kei reported to Okuno by phone on the afternoon of the 21st (JST). He said, "I passed the exam this time. I am able to join the ranks of lawyers. I am truly grateful to my teacher. From now on, I would like to further my studies as a lawyer. I am truly happy. Thank you."

Source: NHK

October 20 press release for New York State Board of Law Examiners July 2022:
[...]

The New York State Board of Law Examiners announced today that grading has been completed for the July 2022 New York State Bar Examination. Candidates received electronic notification of their examination results today.

The Board examined 9,609 candidates, including U.S. domestic-educated candidates and
foreign-educated candidates, first-time and repeat takers during the July 2022 bar examination. Of those candidates, 6,350 passed for an overall passing rate of 66%

[...]

The passing rate for the 1,610 repeat takers of the bar examination in July 2022 is 23%, an
increase of 5% from last year. [...]

A list of candidates who passed the July 2022 bar examination will be available to the public on the Board's website at www.nybarexam.org on Friday, October 21, 2022

[...]
ETA: NHK already translated their article into English...

Source: Husband of former Japanese princess passes NY bar exam | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
[...]

Lawyer Okuno Yoshihiko says he received a call from Komuro on Friday telling him that he passed the exam. It was his third attempt.

Okuno heads a law firm where Komuro worked when he was in Japan, and also helped Komuro move to the United States to study at a law school.

According to Okuno, Komuro said he has finally managed to become a lawyer, and thanked Okuno for his support. Komuro is quoted as saying that he will strive to improve as a lawyer, and that he is very happy.

[...]

Congratulations! I am relieved...

I'm not sure Kei will ever recover his reputation in Japan but at least the couple's future in the US is secure now. Japanese media will be furiously refreshing the NY bar exam's website to confirm his name...

Last edited:
And this serial is over! Congratulations indeed!!

Congratulations to him. He and Mako have a chance to move forward without that part of everything hanging over them.

Congratulations to Kei!

I wonder what is Mako doing right now?

Very well down, congratulations to Kei!

Back
Top Bottom