"Kongeord" [A King's Word] 2024, by Frederik X of Denmark and Jens Andersen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muhler

Imperial Majesty
City
Eastern Jutland
Country
Denmark
King Frederik has published his manifesto.
No big surprises but nevertheless interesting.
I'll get back to the subjekt, when I'm home from work.

King Frederik has published his manifesto.
No big surprises but nevertheless interesting.
I'll get back to the subjekt, when I'm home from work.

I was debating if I should post about it but I'm more than happy to leave it to you.

The manifesto called "Kongeord" (a/the king's words(?)) was released as a complete surprise this morning but had in two hours already sold more than the sixth best selling book of 2023 did in total and have also smashed the record for best selling newly published book on it's first day with online bookstore Saxo saying that they're selling 25 copies per minute. Physical bookstores say that they expect to sell even more copies once the current snowstorm is over.

Last edited:
I was very surprised to read about the 'Kongeord' and did not expect it either.
Hopefully our Danish posters can give us their thoughts on the kings book!

I was debating if I should post about it but I'm more than happy to leave it to you.

The manifesto called "Kongeord" (a/the king's words(?)) was released as a complete surprise this morning but had in two hours already sold more than the sixth best selling book of 2023 did in total and have also smashed the record for best selling newly published book on it's first day with online bookstore Saxo saying that they're selling 25 copies per minute. Physical bookstores say that they expect to sell even more copies once the current snowstorm is over.

very nice!
and apparently the DRF now has a twitter account. a few more quotes from the manifesto are included.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:

I have the Book "Job Queen" about Queen Margrethe which are Interviews with her. Is the new book similiar to this one?
That is what i actually like about the danish royals. That they are so open and give also private details. Think therfore therefore there is also a stronger bond between the royals and the normal people as the know more about them

Yes, King Frederik's manifesto in bookform has been a huge seller today.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kong-frederik-om-sit-private-liv-med-mary-hun-er-min-wingman

It's basically his thoughts about being a king, his visions for the future for him and the realm and some thoughts on what traditions he will continue.

What follow here is a number of excepts and quotes from the book, in no particular order.

He emphasize very clearly that he and Queen Mary are a team, pretty much on equal basis. He label her "his wingman."

He will continue the New Year speech tradition about ending the speech with God save Denmark. - As that phrase has always given him goosebumps.

He is confident that he will manage the challenge of reading the New Year speeches live will go well, even though he may do some things differently.

He did not mention God in his proverb because he wanted his proverb to be more inclusive.

He does believe Christianity is a foundation for the Danish realm.
He does attend service in church because he likes to.
They still say the Lord's Prayer each evening for twins, before lights out. The children like it that way.

He says that meeting his wife on his first visit to Australia was almost an act of providence.
"I love the marriage, my wife (formal word), our children and the whole happy base which is formed for those people who manage to stick together and hang on."

He praises QMII for spotting Queen Mary's potential and making her Rigsforstander.
That was never the case with PH.
"As mentioned previously my father was very patriarch minded and that pattern he tried to pass on to his two sons. Here I have however learned a lot from havig a wife (formal word) who from time to time that I'm of course not always right and that my words are not automatically final, just because I'm the man of the house.
Eventhough I sometimes catch myself thinking: Oh, do we really need to use five more minutes on that discussion, then I accept that Mary would like to turn over a few more stones and then we take five or ten minutes more."
(Welcome to the club of seasoned husbands, FX. ? )

"Mary is my partner and wingman and we have a super dynamic."

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/j...-klimakamp-6-nedslag-fra-kongens-nye-manifest

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/kong-frederik-vi-skal-passe-paa-de-kristne-kernevaerdier

FX encourage people to take a moral and human responsibility for each other:
"We live in an age where it's a lot of me, me and ego-me here and ego-me there. You'd better realize yourselv in all sorts of directions before you turn 40 and in may Western societies thet most important question is: What can you do for me? Rarely is it the other way around: What can I do for you?"

"When friends talk about them wishing to soon stepping back in their work life, I usually say that Mary and I look forward to stepping up."

FX is no admirer of the tall poppy syndrome/the Law of Jante.

He and QM will work on preserving nature, increasing bio diversity and countering climate changes.

"As Regent Couple we will continue to be a bridge and a link in the commonwealth (The entire Realm) and as far as possible work for the tightening the bonds between Greenland, the Faeroe Island and the rest of the Danish realm. We must not forget that we are bound together (positive meaning) in the commonwealth. That obligates."

King Frederik does not earn any money on this book. The book is written by Jens Andersen, who was also behind Under The Beam, which you can about here on TRF.

-------------

There will no doubt be even more from this book over the coming days, so feel free to post and translate, because what I may find most significant and choose to write about may not be what others find most significant.

This book is great, because this is something we can all have an opinion about with needing to know that much about DK.

This manifesto sets out a well thought through thought process, not somethign that is put together between the 28 Dec and now. This abdication and change of reign had clearly been in the planning for some time.

This manifesto sets out a well thought through thought process, not somethign that is put together between the 28 Dec and now. This abdication and change of reign had clearly been in the planning for some time.

In my opinion it's more likely that this book was written some time ago and was lying ready to be printed when the moment, either an abdication or his mother passing away, came for Frederik to ascend the throne. I do think that the possibility of an abdication was brought up some time ago and that some adaptions to the process of changing monarch were thought through but that it's true that Queen Margrethe didn't announce her final decision until December 28.

Thank you Muhler for the links. You are right he emphasis how Mary and him are a team, even when Henrik tried to raise his sons to be more Man of the house mentality :flowers:

I like these quotes
"- We have had time to prepare as the crown prince couple, so the change from one regent to another should be experienced as a quite ordinary change of track, without it shaking the train carriage too much."

indeed, we have notice that especially during State Visits the last years, they have been the royal couple in charge in everything but name.

"- For a number of years, Mary and I have been conscious of making an effort for the exposed, vulnerable and marginalized in our society, among other things through the Mary Foundation and the annual distribution of the Crown Prince Couple's Social Prize. In the future too, we will be a visible, active part of a responsible and humane society. We want to have an eye for everyone, but have a special eye for those who have extra needs."

and they have done a great job with their own initiatives.

more quotes
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/live/samfund/2024-01-17-kong-frederik-udgiver-bog

the new book

https://www.bt.dk/royale/kong-frederik-om-sit-private-liv-med-mary-hun-er-min-wingman

It's basically his thoughts about being a king, his visions for the future for him and the realm and some thoughts on what traditions he will continue.

What follow here is a number of excepts and quotes from the book, in no particular order.

He emphasize very clearly that he and Queen Mary are a team, pretty much on equal basis. He label her "his wingman."

He will continue the New Year speech tradition about ending the speech with God save Denmark. - As that phrase has always given him goosebumps.

He is confident that he will manage the challenge of reading the New Year speeches live will go well, even though he may do some things differently.

He did not mention God in his proverb because he wanted his proverb to be more inclusive.

They still say the Lord's Prayer each evening for twins, before lights out. The children like it that way.

He says that meeting his wife on his first visit to Australia was almost an act of providence.
"I love the marriage, my wife (formal word), our children and the whole happy base which is formed for those people who manage to stick together and hang on."

He praises QMII for spotting Queen Mary's potential and making her Rigsforstander.
"As mentioned previously my father was very patriarch minded and that pattern he tried to pass on to his two sons. Here I have however learned a lot from havig a wife (formal word) who from time to time that I'm of course not always right and that my words are not automatically final, just because I'm the man of the house.
Eventhough I sometimes catch myself thinking: Oh, do we really need to use five more minutes on that discussion, then I accept that Mary would like to turn over a few more stones and then we take five or ten minutes more."

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/j...-klimakamp-6-nedslag-fra-kongens-nye-manifest

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/kong-frederik-vi-skal-passe-paa-de-kristne-kernevaerdier

"We live in an age where it's a lot of me, me and ego-me here and ego-me there. You'd better realize yourselv in all sorts of directions before you turn 40 and in may Western societies thet most important question is: What can you do for me? Rarely is it the other way around: What can I do for you?"

"When friends talk about them wishing to soon stepping back in their work life, I usually say that Mary and I look forward to stepping up."

He and QM will work on preserving nature, increasing bio diversity and countering climate changes.

"As Regent Couple we will continue to be a bridge and a link in the commonwealth (The entire Realm) and as far as possible work for the tightening the bonds between Greenland, the Faeroe Island and the rest of the Danish realm. We must not forget that we are bound together (positive meaning) in the commonwealth. That obligates."

King Frederik does not earn any money on this book. The book is written by Jens Andersen, who was also behind Under The Beam, which you can about here on TRF.

-------------

There will no doubt be even more from this book over the coming days, so feel free to post and translate, because what I may find most significant and choose to write about may not be what others find most significant.

This book is great, because this is something we can all have an opinion about with needing to know that much about DK.

Thanks to all who translate for the rest of us to enjoy. Will this book be available to purchase outside of Denmark? Does anyone know?

Eml

-------------

Thank you Muhler for giving some quotes. Much appreciated and look forward to more in the days to come.

Thanks to all who translate for the rest of us to enjoy. Will this book be available to purchase outside of Denmark? Does anyone know?
Yes, if enough of you contact the publisher.

In my opinion it's more likely that this book was written some time ago and was lying ready to be printed when the moment, either an abdication or his mother passing away, came for Frederik to ascend the throne. I do think that the possibility of an abdication was brought up some time ago and that some adaptions to the process of changing monarch were thought through but that it's true that Queen Margrethe didn't announce her final decision until December 28.

From the information here a book like this was not an overnight task but probably in the works, in stages, for some time. If I had to do a wild guess, Queen MII probably gave King FX an assignment to start writing even it before we discussed the family titles changes she introduced over a year ago.

Like a secret project in the works that only a few knew about. In that inner circle I would put QMII, FX and Queen Mary besides the production team, and absolutely no other family member knew about it.

If King Frederik goes on a book tour, make sure he signs your copy! ?

I wish his mother would write her autobiography! That would be fascinating.

I wish his mother would write her autobiography! That would be fascinating.

From the success of KFX' book let's hope she gets the same team to help her write books about her life, like a series, starting with her memories during the 1940s and 50s.

From the success of KFX' book let's hope she gets the same team to help her write books about her life, like a series, starting with her memories during the 1940s and 50s.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful read!!

I am deeply impressed by this manifesto by KFX.
A few things I loved:

1. He values his partnership with Queen Mary. KFX could have simply said th just that "I value my partnership with Queen Mary". However he showed that he does by emphasizing the important work that her foundation does, and how he takes an extra 5-10 mins to allow Queen Mary to mull things over and that he does not act independently simply because he is "the man of the house". How endearing and I might add really romantic?

2. The thoughts of bringing the Commonwealth closer and closer together. I have always had complete confidence that this would be a goal for the couple. I recall when the twins were given Greenlandic names..yes I am glad to hear the determination repeated.

3. I never thought of KFX as being deeply religious. I am satisfied with his thoughts on religion. His goal of being inclusive- as let's face it Danes today are Muslims, Jewish, Jehovah's Witnesses, Buddhists...etc. I also love that he says the Lord's Prayer nightly to the twins. I grew up saying it also before bed so it's endearing that he passes the same tradition to the twins.

KFX will be a fine King with God's strength, his determination, and Queen Mary's help.

The book has been met with considerable interest to put it mildly.
It has generally been praised as both a good idea and as being a good introduction to King Frederik.

It is no secret that verbally FX often struggle in getting his meaning across, while he can do so in one on one conversations. And that is the case here. Because Jens Andersen has done this before, where FX were allowed to explain what he think and mean in his own time and in a much more relaxed setting. And the result of that was good IMO. I can see the book on the shelve from here and I sometimes use it as a reference when posting here in TRF.

The book contains a multitude of little details that were previously unknown. For example his interest in Danish poetry from the first half of the 1800s. (That was the age of H C Andersen, but he sure wasn't alone. A lot of the psalms sung in the Danish State Church were written during that period.)

The book is of course also meant to put FX in a positive light, of course it is. There are no controversial statements in the book and hot topics are avoided, like immigration and the challenges there were and still are in connection with failed integration of some immigrants for example. He avoids topics whether increased European integration (EU) is a good idea or not. He does not address the serious social issues in Greenland or the lack of sexual tolerance in the Faeroe Islands. And so on.

It is very clear that Queen Mary and having a family was absolutely instrumental in him not only accepting his role as then crown prince but also embracing the challenge. That was when he grew up and faced his destiny so to speak.

Every author, historian and journalists who has an interest in the DRF and/or hope to interview FX at some point are keenly studying this book.

Books Purchased! Now to learn how to read them in Danish...

Yes, if enough of you contact the publisher.

I purchased both books and paid more than the cost of the books to have them shipped to Minnesota. :D And the craziest part about that is I don't even speak/read Danish! So the translations are still much appreciated here while I continue learning some Danish. :whistling::lol:

I purchased both books and paid more than the cost of the books to have them shipped to Minnesota. :D And the craziest part about that is I don't even speak/read Danish! So the translations are still much appreciated here while I continue learning some Danish. :whistling::lol:

Dare I hope there are pictures??! ?

Can you scan the text and put it through an AI?
Or painstakingly write a paragraph or two and put it through Google or an AI?

Suggest you start with the captions.

Can you scan the text and put it through an AI?
Or painstakingly write a paragraph or two and put it through Google or an AI?

Suggest you start with the captions.

I just received an AI Translator for Christmas to use for genealogy document reading. (Most of my ancestors are from the Scandinavian area.) I'm hoping it will work for the books as well. *fingers crossed*

I am glad that I have people like you in this forum to help too. Thank you. :flowers:

That "article" is typical DM click bait based on nothing more than innuendos, rumors and I doubt anyone there actually even tried to get an accurate translation.

I address this to Muhler: Would it be possible to get some accurate translation of the more relevant passages and newer quotes. I think it would do this thread good to not get derailed by the likes of the usual DM tactics.

Thanks!

That "article" is typical DM click bait based on nothing more than innuendos, rumors and I doubt anyone there actually even tried to get an accurate translation.

I address this to Muhler: Would it be possible to get some accurate translation of the more relevant passages and newer quotes. I think it would do this thread good to not get derailed by the likes of the usual DM tactics.

Thanks!

Well, I already have written a brief summary and translated a few quotes.

I would need direct quotes from the book or the book itself, which I haven't gotten around to buy yet. My mother-in-law has devoured hers and liked it.

And finally, I have already postponed indefinitely the portrait book about QMII. I hesitate to make more promises. :ermm:

What I will do, once I get and read the book, is that I will write a review - and if there is an interest, I will scan the book, with the text.
And then people can either request a translation from me or someone else or do an AI translation themselves.

That "article" is typical DM clickbait based on nothing more than innuendos and rumors, and I doubt anyone there actually even tried to get an accurate translation.

I wouldn't put a copy of the Daily Mail in the bottom of my cat's litter box. That's how little I think of it. Like all tabloids, they traffic in outrage.

Back
Top Bottom