King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie Current Events 5: February 2016 - January 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want to be buried in Tatoi?

I think the hill is in Tatoi. There's footage of him walking through there with Anne-Marie and talking about where they'll be.

I also thought his statement about QEII was very moving.

Last edited:
Yes, in Tatoi, he and Queen Anne-Marie chose the exact site where they wish to be buried. From this site can be see the sea, the King said it.

So a "lesser" event.

I thought so. And to be expected, I suppose.
So I guess it will be relatives mainly, I.e. the DRF and secondary royals from the other families who will go.

Anyway, not wishing to go into too many speculations in regards to the funeral about someone who hasn't died yet, I was merely curious as to whether something had been planned by the Greek state.

Romania gave King Michael a state funeral, but I am pretty sure Greece won't do the same for King Constantine. Nevertheless, even if it is a private event, I would actually expect some reigning monarchs to attend, not just "secondary royals". The King of Spain is Constantine's nephew and the Queen of Denmark is his sister-in-law, so both are likely to attend. King Carl Gustaf even attended the funeral of Otto von Habsburg, so I can't imagine he wouldn't go to Constantine's. King Charles III, on the other hand, is King Constantine's second cousin and seems to be close to the Greek Royal Family. It is unlikely that he would attend the funeral now that he is the British monarch, but I wouldn't rule that out completely.

So a "lesser" event.

I thought so. And to be expected, I suppose.
So I guess it will be relatives mainly, I.e. the DRF and secondary royals from the other families who will go.

The spanish RF will certainly also be represented at the highest Level.

I don't find impossible for the King to attend the funeral. He has a good logistics to help him (private plane, etc. ) and of course will be in wheelchair, but I'm sure the Abbey grants full access.

As for future funeral for the King (it will arrive one day) no way it would be a state funeral none government would take this political risk.
It is still a part (not large) of the population still shouting about anything the King does, calling him Konstantine Gluksbourg, and commenting even simple acts such us his visit on Athens Metropolis while the church was closed for repair works.
It will be a private event but of course many royal families will attend I believe. The King is blood related with all the European RF and has also excellent relations with. The issue to handle for any gouvernement will be the spontaneous attendance of the population.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

To be perfectly blunt, the Greek state didn't care if Constantine lived or died for decades (see the human rights lawsuit), so I can't see them doing anything for a funeral other than continuing their current tradition of studious indifference to the former king.

I would be astonished if anything else happened, but perhaps one of our Greek members knows better than me.

Also: wouldn't having an official funeral acknowledge that he is Greek? :) How can you have a state funeral for someone you won't issue a passport for?
Yes, there certainly seems to be no love lost between the Greek State and the former Royal family

King Constantine, Queen Anne Marie, Queen Sofia, Princess Irene are in Athens. They were in a cafe restaurant, and walking down the street. King Constantine has used an oxygen tube (I don't know how it is said in English), since the covid passed, but in closed places, because he did not carry it on the street.

the photos are of newspaper, Parapolitica, but I Found it in group of facebook, the greek royal family.

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...yGQcJk1Si4YhSI0j8O0q2_97Dsh4Z6iag&oe=6359E0A0

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...Qvcl7atKyGxAUUTX_KvnWVfD6UZPDBUnw&oe=6359A104

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...1AmBxzM00qTgA8h2LG08DiTPg2Hx0qs_g&oe=6359DD64

What a nice group outing! Always great to see the Greek siblings together.

On a side note, you wouldn’t believe Queen Sofia is the eldest of them.

Good to see the three brothers together.
King Constantine seems to be doing well, as far as possible.

The king seems like he lost some weight, although it seems to suit him.

I would not have recognized former King Constantine....:sad:

I imagine it will be Pavlos walking Theodora down the aisle next summer.

What a nice group outing! Always great to see the Greek siblings together.

On a side note, you wouldn’t believe Queen Sofia is the eldest of them.

Indeed. Really nice that the king's sisters were visiting. And while you indeed wouldn't think Sophia is the eldest (although they are only 3 1/2 years a part, so relatively close in age) - there is no doubt that of the four of them Anne Marie is the youngest :flowers:

Queen Sophia of Spain, born princess of Greece: 2 November 1938
King Konstantinos of Greece: 2 June 1940
Princess Irene of Greece: 11 May 1942
Queen Anne Marie of Greece, born princess of Denmark: 30 August 1946

Last edited:
I like to see them together, but what I like the most is to see King Constantine, the last time we saw a picture of him, it was at the wedding of Prince Filippos, a year ago, since then he was in hospital by a pneumonia and then, bycovid in January... The lack of photos of King Constantine after his admission to the hospital, the change of his residence... All this made me think that his state of health, which was already delicate, was very serious, but seeing these photos, I am glad to see that it was not so serious. He is in a restaurant with his wife and his sisters, and they have been walking around Athens, that is a good symptom, within all the pathologies of the King, we can say that he is "good health".

I like to see them together, but what I like the most is to see King Constantine, the last time we saw a picture of him, it was at the wedding of Prince Filippos, a year ago, since then he was in hospital by a pneumonia and then, bycovid in January... The lack of photos of King Constantine after his admission to the hospital, the change of his residence... All this made me think that his state of health, which was already delicate, was very serious, but seeing these photos, I am glad to see that it was not so serious. He is in a restaurant with his wife and his sisters, and they have been walking around Athens, that is a good symptom, within all the pathologies of the King, we can say that he is "good health".
I agree that it is good to see a picture of HM King Constantine: such a tragedy that his health has so deteriorated. Do we know what these ‘pathologies’ are…

Former King Constantine: In critical condition in the ICU after an acute stroke

https://www.protothema.gr/greece/ar...-katastasi-sti-meth-epeita-apo-oxu-egefaliko/

Queen Sofía traveled directly from Rome to Athens yesterday, and she did so on the official plane, which normally members of the Royal Family (with the exception of the king for security reasons) cannot do on private trips. So the trip must have been considered very urgent.

Former King Constantine: In critical condition in the ICU after an acute stroke

https://www.protothema.gr/greece/ar...-katastasi-sti-meth-epeita-apo-oxu-egefaliko/

Queen Sofía traveled directly from Rome to Athens yesterday, and she did so on the official plane, which normally members of the Royal Family (with the exception of the king for security reasons) cannot do on private trips. So the trip must have been considered very urgent.

I was looking at pictures of Queen Sofia at the pope's funeral yesterday and thinking she looked a bit stressed and upset, and I was wondering if she had been particularly close to Pope Benedict. I imagine it was worry about her brother.

CNN Greece and Danish magazine Billed Bladet are covering the story, too:

https://www.cnn.gr/ellada/story/344...nstantinos-krisimi-i-katastasi-tis-ygeias-tou

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ndlagt-paa-hospitalet-saadan-er-hans-tilstand

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment there is no official information, even in some media talk about coronavirus, and the stroke, it is beginning to be an obsession of the media. I do not know what is the cause and what is the reason, I read many contradictions in the information that is being published.

The stories I've seen are consistent. They say he had a stroke and is in critical, but stable, condition. His family is with him. Most stories add that he has had health issues in recent years, including COVID last year.

I hope King Constantine manages to recover.

¡HOLA! from Spain is also covering the story.
https://www.hola.com/realeza/20230106224164/constantino-de-grecia-grave-hospital/

At Hello! from Greece:
https://gr.hellomagazine.com/celebr...s-konstantinos-meta-apo-egkefaliko-epeisodio/

The former monarch's office told EFE that Constantine II is hospitalized, but did not confirm other details about his state of health and stressed that "it is a hospitalization like all the others in recent years".

https://www.elmundo.es/loc/2023/01/06/63b89835fc6c830e0a8b45a1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The information from the king's office coincides with the testimony collected in the Spanish blog "La familia Real Griega", who published this information today, I think the person who writes the blog, his name is Alexis, he says that the presence of Queen Sofia is not hasty as the media say, because HE had this information for days ago, that Queen Sophia and Princess Irene were going to travel to Athens to celebrate with their brother and the rest of the family the Epiphany, it is today. How the Queen Sofia had to go to the funeral in Rome of the pope emeritus, it was planned that she would travel from Rome to Athens. In conclusion, the presence of Queen Sofia is not hasty, but rather it was planned for days ago.

https://lafamiliarealgriega.blogspot.com/2023/01/el-rey-constantino-podria-estar.html

Continuing with the information from the office, if the reason is "it is a hospitalization like all the others in recent years" then ,I think, his problem is pulmonary. I wish he recovers soon, as on other occasions

Last edited:
I hope King Constantine manages to recover.

The former monarch's office told EFE that Constantine II is hospitalized, but did not confirm other details about his state of health and stressed that "it is a hospitalization like all the others in recent years".

:kingdomofgreece:

NOT like all others before,no.This time it´s different.
Trying to play it down is their good right,more so if the opposite is a reality.

Wishing him comfort.

The DK media is following the Greek news closely tonight, there are frequent updates.

https://greekreporter.com/
https://www.ekathimerini.com/

Are quoting the Greek TV station ERT for saying that while King Constantine is not intubated he is drifting in and out of consciousness. As such his contact with his family is limited.

King Constantine was admitted to the hospital due to respiratory failure, days ago, caused by the king's lung problems, specifically, pulmonary edema, he is in the Intensive Care Unit, he is not intubated, but he has the oxygen mask, which is part of the treatment for this problem. This is not the first time, because in December 2021 he was already in the hospital for this same problem.

:previous:This was already published yesterday in the press. The King Constantine has already left the intensive care unit, he is in a room.

Although the press does not specify, yesterday various media published that he was not in the intensive care unit, he had abandoned it, the media also talk about respiratory problems, no strokes, this is an obsession in the media Greeks every time the king is in the hospitals.... It's a bit sad but the media that exaggerate the seriousness ( it is serious but not as exaggerated as they claim) have more repercussions than the media that are really worrying about the news and have really gone to the door of the hospital....This is serious and serious but not as they say...

King Constantine's state of health cannot be very serious, because this afternoon Queen Sofia and Princess Irene have been in Vouliagméni, in a coffe shop,they were accompanied by a young man and woman but I don't know who they are. Yesterday she was also seen in a coffee shop in the center of Athens with Prince Philippos and a woman, I thinl she was princess Theodora. I do not believe that King Constantine's state of health is as serious as the press shows.
The children of King Constantine have visited him in the hospital, but it has been Queen Anna Maria who has been in the hospital every day, when he was in the Intensive Care Unit she has been the one who has visited him during the allowed hours .

Last edited:
If the press is saying he's out of the ICU and his sisters are lunching al fresco, that does seem to indicate he's relatively all right.

The question is who came up with the idea he'd had a serious stroke and something unusual was happening?

I read somewhere that while Constantine has been ill and in the ICU it has also been a Greek Orthodox festival / day (the translation was pretty rubbish but maybe something to do with Christmas) and apparently the family do often gather together for that at this time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom