Historic Royal Palaces and Stately Homes with Royal Connections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What makes Chatsworth so special is the extraordinary range of the art collection as demonstrated in the clip. The Royal Collection aside there are few other private collections that come close to the Cavendish one. Woburn Abbey has a fantastic collection as well but still not as fine as the one at Chatsworth. So many aritcocratic collections were sold off to pay for death duties in the C20th.

Much of the art at Chatsworth came from Devonshire House in Piccadilly when it was demolished between the wars.

https://lookup.london/devonshire-gates-green-park/

I understand that the duke had inherited bad debts but it was sad to read about the demolition of Devonshire House in 1920 and now that a modern office block stands on the site.

I understand that the duke had inherited bad debts but it was sad to read about the demolition of Devonshire House in 1920 and now that a modern office block stands on the site.

Yes it's a pity that few of these great private palaces survive. They were prohibitively expensive to maintain & were made for entertaining on a scale no longer thought appropriate post WW1.

Some do survive of course like Lancaster House & Marlborough House but in government or royal posession. Devonshire House was rather plain on the outside but had a very fine interior. Probably the most beautiful of London's mansions, though by no means the largest, was Norfolk House in St James's Square. The site is now like that of Devonshire House a large inter war office block.

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/architecture/norfolk-house-londons-missing-palace-178996

Dublin as a great Georgian city had a number of grand aristocratic town houses as well of course. Leinster House was the largest but others like Powerscourt House were also very fine.

Chatsworth is lovely. So's Haddon Hall, although obviously much smaller.

Chatsworth is lovely. So's Haddon Hall, although obviously much smaller.

Literally just over the hill from each other. Wonderful countryside. Haddon is an amazing survivor from medieval times. The younger brother of the Duke of Rutland lives there now. I don't know whether he lives in the hall itself or in a more modern & manageable house on the estate. Haddon looks lovely but not terribly comfortable or practical to live in.

Literally just over the hill from each other. Wonderful countryside. Haddon is an amazing survivor from medieval times. The younger brother of the Duke of Rutland lives there now. I don't know whether he lives in the hall itself or in a more modern & manageable house on the estate. Haddon looks lovely but not terribly comfortable or practical to live in.

Haddon Hall has also been used as a set and backdrop for many TV series and movies over the years.

Yes indeed. Including three versions of Jane Eyre apparently. I didn't know that.

Poxwell Manor, visited by George III on numbers of occasion as a place of rest is reportedly now on the market. This manor house has possibly inspired Thomas Hardy’s Oxwell Hall in The Trumpet Major. Tatler has a recent article on Poxwell Manor including some beautiful pictures.

Relocate to this enchanting Dorset manor house that inspired Thomas Hardy
For £3.75 million this slice of history to the north of the Jurassic Coast, visited by King George III on a number of occasions, could be yours
https://www.tatler.com/gallery/poxwell-manor-south-dorset-thomas-hardy-inspiration-strutt-and-parker

What a lovely house. George III visited Dorset quite a lot.

Suffolk Place

This historic house was the London residence of Charles Brandon,Duke of Suffolk and was situated in Southwark near Winchester Palace and opposite the city of London.

It was built by the Duke in 1522 but he later exchanged it for for Norwich Place near Westminster and king Henry gave it to Jane Seymour in June 1537 and it was later used by Queen Mary and King Philip but was demolished in 1557.

https://historytheinterestingbits.com/

SuffolkHouse_Southwark.png

Woodstock Palace is located in Oxfordshire, England.
On August 5, 1301 Edmund of Woodstock, 1st Earl of Kent, son of King Edward I of England, was born at Woodstock Palace.

Woodstock Palace is located in Oxfordshire, England.
On August 5, 1301 Edmund of Woodstock, 1st Earl of Kent, son of King Edward I of England, was born at Woodstock Palace.
Queen Anne gave Woodstock to the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough after the Battle of Blenheim. The original palace was little more than ruins due to Cromwell, and Sarah (and her husband) had it torn down and Blenheim Palace built in its stead. There is a much longer story attached as to how it was paid for, what happened when Sarah and Anne fell out, etc.

Last edited:
St. Swithin Priory is located in Winchester, England. It was a monastery attached to Winchester Cathedral. It was a House of Benedictine Monks. On September 20, 1486, Arthur, Prince of Wales, the son of King Henry VII of England, was born there.

St. Swithin Priory is located in Winchester, England. It was a monastery attached to Winchester Cathedral. It was a House of Benedictine Monks. On September 20, 1486, Arthur, Prince of Wales, the son of King Henry VII of England, was born there.

The Priory was dissolved on 15 November 1539 and the Shrine of St. Swithin was ransacked for precious jewels and was destroyed.
Nothing remains of the Priory and it was largely demolished during the Elizabethan era.

Wonderful and we forget that St. Swithun's Shrine was a popular place of pilgrimage for hundreds of years.
The destruction of the Shrine was reportedly carried out overnight to avoid the public outcry and as part of the new religious policies against the veneration of saints and to stop pilgrimages.

Wow!

Picturesque medieval exterior & stunning Georgian interiors! Just the right mix of grandeur & coziness if that makes sense.?

And the location!

Looking for Howth castle on yt I stumbled across this:

Really interesting subject. I must get the book!

Wow!

Picturesque medieval exterior & stunning Georgian interiors! Just the right mix of grandeur & coziness if that makes sense.?

And the location!

I forgot to say the Earldom went extinct after the last Earl died leaving no male heirs.

Unlike the majority of Anglo Norman family's the St Lawrence remained Roman Catholic during the Reformation and did not confirm to the Anglican church. They remained Catholic up until the Penal Laws following the Williamite Wars in Ireland.

Glamis Castle is located in Angus, Scotland. It is the residence of the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghore. Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Queen Consort of King George VI of England, was born at Glamis Castle.

Glamis Castle is located in Angus, Scotland. It is the residence of the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghore. Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Queen Consort of King George VI of England, was born at Glamis Castle.
Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was born in London, quite possibly in a horse-drawn ambulance! although her father registered her birth at St. Paul's Waldenbury, the family's English country property. She did spend part of her childhood and youth at Glamis (famously spending time with the wounded soldiers housed there in WWI) and Princess Margaret was born at Glamis in 1930.

Carlton House in Westminster was residence of King George IV.

The semi state rooms at Windsor are probably the nearest we can experience what the interiors at Carlton House were like.

It's a pity the house was demolished but Carlton House Terrace which replaced it is a fine piece of town planning & looks suitably grand from The Mall.

Back
Top Bottom