Greek Royal Palaces and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BREAKING

The Greek Ministry of Culture has just ordered the evacuation of the royal collection, documents and other objects of great value from the Palace of Tatoi.

A forest fire is heading towards the palace.

Prince Nikolaos is at the Palace and is following the situation.
https://t.co/PeC9CMgdpK

Tatoi Palace is now threatened by fires.

Greek media reports that the fire now has invaded the interior of the royal park & the royal cemetery.

According to the president of the Association of Friends of Tatoi the situation is extremely critical. https://t.co/ejUmD4iy8y

Last edited:
How terrible especially as its being restored and the tombs of the Greek Royal Family are there.

How terrible especially as its being restored and the tombs of the Greek Royal Family are there.

Yes I'm afraid of what might happen. The tombs of the Greek Royal Family are there and the palace could also be damaged. I imagine the anguish of the King and Queen of Greece, Queen Sofia and Princess Irene and other family members at the moment. :sad:

That's bad news but also great to see that prince Nikolaos is (again) stepping up as the representative of the family. His father is no longer able to do so and his elder brother seems not willing to.

Prince Nikolaos has not been in Tatoi, that information is totally false. The video includes an overlay of images from an old interview of Prince Nikolaos with CNN two years ago. That news is false.
The Tatoi palace was illegally confiscated by the Greek state from King Constantine, the King won a ruling from the Strasbourg Human Rights Court, and the government did not want to return the property, nor has it returned the movable property to this day. In 2009 The Greek government guaranteed to the King that this palace would never return to the family ..... He has the guarantee that the palace and its goods will never be returned to him, and they will never allow him to enter it, or participate in a museum or anything, his will does not exist.Why should the king be distressed?

Regarding Queen Sofia and Princess Irene, I think she has more serious problems in Spain to worry about a property of the Greek state, the house that she inherited of her father is in Athens, abandoned, and she never worried about recovering it ... ..

Last edited:
Is the Crown Prince still in Greece?

Prince Nikolaos has not been in Tatoi, that information is totally false. The video includes an overlay of images from an old interview of Prince Nikolaos with CNN two years ago. That news is false.
The Tatoi palace was illegally confiscated by the Greek state from King Constantine, the King won a ruling from the Strasbourg Human Rights Court, and the government did not want to return the property, nor has it returned the movable property to this day. In 2009 The Greek government guaranteed to the King that this palace would never return to the family ..... He has the guarantee that the palace and its goods will never be returned to him, and they will never allow him to enter it, or participate in a museum or anything, his will does not exist.Why should the king be distressed?

Regarding Queen Sofia and Princess Irene, I think she has more serious problems in Spain to worry about a property of the Greek state, the house that she inherited of her father is in Athens, abandoned, and she never worried about recovering it ... ..

How much exaggeration! I believe they are mainly distressed because their parents and other family members are buried there. And I think King Constantine can visit Tatoi if he likes, in fact he has participated in ceremonies at the Tatoi royal cemetery several times.
If this news of Prince Nikolaos is false I don't know, that's what I saw on social media.

So how did the information come about that Prince Nikolaos is there?

What is the house that Queen Sofia inherited?

The official uniforms of the kings were saved by the Ministry of Culture.
https://www.newsbreak.gr/webtv/2315...ton-vasileon-diesose-to-ypoyrgeio-politismoy/

In the video they also talk about Prince Nikolaos, but as I don't know Greek I don't know what is said.

Update - Tatoi Palace

The fire at Tatoi changed direction at 4 AM local time, wind conditions changed.

The fire brigade believes the palace is out of immediate danger.

The evacuation of objects has been temporarily stopped. https://t.co/TYaIuDDtLf

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel a certain degree of sadness for the abandonment of the Tatoi farm, and now a fire, it makes me sad.

But the Greek authorities have been horrible against the king and his family
Currently the King is 81 years old, health problems, and the guarantee of the authorities that he will never return to Tatoi, obviously he will not be happy, but I also do not think that he is anguished, perhaps it saddens him more, the situation of many people who have lost his house, his animals, even I think that at some point we will see a statement about the king in the press, showing his sadness for these people. He seriously is a very sensitive person to people's problems, in some interviews he has even cried.

The press, the groups of "royals", have created a parallel reality about Tatoi, which does not even take into account the statements of the king or his son Nikolaos, or anything else ....

The house of Psykhikó, inherited by Queen Sofia, sold by the Greek state in 1988, the Queen never claimed it. King Paul's will was holographed and written in 1959, he left the palace of Tatoi and Corfu to his son Constantine, not his daughters.

Last edited:
I'd never known about the Greek property of Queen Sofia and that the Greek government sold it off.

I see from that photo that the cross was repaired after the vandalism awhile back.

:previous:The grave is repaired, yes and no.
In September, the same day that Prince Filippos announced his wedding, the vandals broken the cross into three pieces. In February, the ministry put a new cross, 10 days later, the cross appeared again broken. This second cross glued its pieces is what you see.

I'd never known about the Greek property of Queen Sofia and that the Greek government sold it off.
I didn't know that the house of Psychiko has been inherited by Queen Sofia. Furthermore it has been sold by the Greek state to the rich Stelios Hadjioannou (or might be his father now deceased). Out of his historical value, the property has high commercial value because of his positions, being in one of the most upper streets of one of the most expensive areas of Athens. Nevertheless the new owner did not do anything to restore or to protect the building which is now in a very bad condition, everything is broken and stolen. Any works are being stopped because apparently the new owner had some renovation plans changing the original style of the building, and when he acquired it he had accepted that any works would respect the original style. The local protection of the environment and cultural inheritance went to the court and blocked any works. The last 8 years the building became worst and worst.

http://www.royalchronicles.gr/anaktoro-pavlou-freiderikis-psixiko/

It is in Greek sorry.

Last edited:
What terrible wanton vandalism was it just the grave of King Pavlos and Queen Frederika that is being targeted?

Thankfully the main house was spared but such terrible devastation.

What terrible wanton vandalism was it just the grave of King Pavlos and Queen Frederika that is being targeted?

The tomb of King Pavlos and Queen Frederika have not been over the years the one that has suffered the most vandal acts, with the exception of King Constantine A, Queen Sophia and King Alexander who are buried inside the church, this has protected the graves. the others have suffered paint attacks, even the vandals have ridden their motorcycles on top of the graves. It was very abandoned, with the annual memorial of the king Constantine ,it has been cleaner

The tomb of King Pavlos and Queen Frederika have not been over the years the one that has suffered the most vandal acts, with the exception of King Constantine A, Queen Sophia and King Alexander who are buried inside the church, this has protected the graves. the others have suffered paint attacks, even the vandals have ridden their motorcycles on top of the graves. It was very abandoned, with the annual memorial of the king Constantine ,it has been cleaner

How terrible and what a pity the can't all be moved inside the church just for protection.

I am sad to see how the Tatoi forest area has been, I think it was the most beautiful thing about that property, it is horrible to see it in black.
I have always argued that this palace should have been returned to the king, because I think it would have been very well preserved, but ...
Regarding the House of King Constantine in Porto Heli, I have been in that area of Greece and it is very nice. The house is very beautiful and the setting , it has an aspect of being a very quiet place. The house looks like a small palace

I agree with you Lipe, I have always thought it was a shame that no one lived at Tatoi, even a caretaker to look after the place would be better than allowing it to fall into disrepair. It used to have a lot of acerage of forest, and its such a shame it's ruined now. I hope the forest can recover again. It must be painful to King Constantine 11 to see the damage.

The Tombs of Kings should never be outside but in a Church or a Necropole for high Protection.

The Tombs of Kings should never be outside but in a Church or a Necropole for high Protection.
In Sweden the Royal burial site is on a small island close to Haga Palace where the Crown Princess lives with her family. While normally closed off it's open to the public a few hours on one afternoon a week during the summer. It seems to work since I can't remember there ever being any vandalism against the site.

I agree a larger church or Mausoleum should have been constructed to house the Greek royal burials.

In Sweden the Royal burial site is on a small island close to Haga Palace where the Crown Princess lives with her family. While normally closed off it's open to the public a few hours on one afternoon a week during the summer. It seems to work since I can't remember there ever being any vandalism against the site.

I read this burial site was established because there wasn't a free space anymore in Riddarholmskyrkan:flowers:

I read this burial site was established because there wasn't a free space anymore in Riddarholmskyrkan:flowers:
It was established according to the wish of Crown Princess Margareta who died in 1920. She had found the funeral of Queen Dowager Sofia in 1913 a dreadful experience and had thereafter planned her own funeral meticulously with an added wish not to be buried inside a church. Since it was known that the vault would be full after the burial of Gustav V in 1950 the Royal family had the choice between adding a new vault (there are several) to Riddarholmskyrkan, but Gustav VI Adolf decided that he wanted to be buried at Haga next to his wife and the rest of the family followed.

Will King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie be buried in Tatoi Cemetery in the future?

They live in Greece now, so probably yes.

Several buildings in the historic core of Tatoi were severely damaged along with some historical artifacts stored in a construction site container.

At least five buildings "swept" by the fire: the Personnel building, the Headquarters, the Telecommunications building, the Sturm house, the Carer's house.

Tatoi needs total Renovation but who will pay ? . The Monarchy is over !

Back
Top Bottom