"End Game" by Omid Scobie - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And Catherine wasn't named by name but only by her title. So, technically he is correct that no version had two names in it...
And it’s not just two names floating by themselves - it was a paragraph or at least a sentence, correct? No professional translator is going to add something like that:whistling:

The comments seemed mostly critical of the monarchy to me; typical NYT.

The longer I scrolled- it seemed to swerve towards being critical of the Sussexes. And Scobie. But at the top- not so much.

The longer I scrolled- it seemed to swerve towards being critical of the Sussexes. And Scobie. But at the top- not so much.

I don't know if the NYT does them by "most liked" or "most recent", or what, but I originally read for a few minutes and still couldn't see anything I found very interesting. I will take your word the more critical stuff was at the bottom, for whatever reason.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...legation-nonsense-race-row-dutch-endgame.html
Trevor Phillips calls Omid Scobie's allegations about 'racist royals' 'nonsense' - amid growing backlash at his relentless twisting of the knife - and says every family of colour discusses a baby's skin colour

I've been saying this all along and good to hear it from somebody like Sir Trevor!

I am quite surprised that such ignorant comments should come from "somebody like Sir Trevor".
His arguments don't hold water for the the following reasons:

1. The British royal family is not a "family of colour". The royal family, senior members.....etc are all white except for Meghan. Therefore what they said and how they said ought to be done with utmost sensitivity out of respect for Meghan.

2. In a perfect utopian world, a person's skin color is of no difference that a person's eye color. Unfortunately Sir Trevor doesn't seem to realize that we don't live in a perfect utopian world. In fact quite far from it. Centuries of racism and discrimination were built and still regrettably persists today because of the color of people's skin. Not their eye color!

I am quite surprised that such ignorant comments should come from "somebody like Sir Trevor".

1. The British royal family is not a "family of colour". The royal family, senior members.....etc are all white except for Meghan. Therefore what they said and how they said ought to be done with utmost sensitivity out of respect for Meghan.

2. In a perfect utopian world, a person's skin color is of no difference that a person's eye color. Unfortunately Sir Trevor doesn't seem to realize that we don't live in a perfect utopian world. In fact quite far from it. Centuries of racism and discrimination were built and still regrettably persists today because of the color of people's skin. Not their eye color!

That would make life unlivable. They were family. If they were to supervise the excitement for a future baby what’s left from the life’s joys?

Great article by Camilla Tominey the Telegraph. I don't remember it being posted in this thread, but correct me if I am wrong. This link is the archived article.

I respect your opinion, but I have no idea how many people of color agree with you. It seems to me that Sir Trevor is acutely aware that we don't live in a perfect utopian world and he has spoken out about his experiences with racism.

I don't know if the NYT does them by "most liked" or "most recent", or what, but I originally read for a few minutes and still couldn't see anything I found very interesting. I will take your word the more critical stuff was at the bottom, for whatever reason.

When you look at the comments, you should pick “reader picks” otherwise you will get “all” the ones that usually nobody liked. Those were the ones criticizing the monarchy that you saw. If you pick reader picks, they are universally aghast with the Sussex dramas and specifically the skin color subject which many regard as normal comments to make when waiting for a child

I always felt there was an underlying threat every time they spoke out. Meghan never signed an NDA. is an example. There was always this hint they would say more if they didn’t get what they were after.
It will take a great deal of effort to build trust again.

I do think that the Sussex couple and their colleagues fed Scobie information for his book.

Regarding Meghan signing an NDA, she brought it up in "The Cut" article. She said she never signed such a contract. As far as I know, family members have never been presented with an NDA document. Family is family. Aside from that, she seems comfortable with a flexible truthiness in all of her public and leaked opinions.

I do think that the Sussex couple and their colleagues fed Scobie information for his book.

Regarding Meghan signing an NDA, she brought it up in "The Cut" article. She said she never signed such a contract. As far as I know, family members have never been presented with an NDA document. Family is family. Aside from that, she seems comfortable with a flexible truthiness in all of her public and leaked opinions.

There’s a passage in the book about how the Sussex couple won’t have to worry about money because Harry has made prudent investments of their earnings. That jumped out at me as information that is either completely made up or would have to be confirmed by someone very close to the Sussex couple because no one else could conceivably have information about their personal finances that they are legally able to disclose. Who would know their investment strategy beyond them and their financial advisors, who professionally can’t discuss an individual client?

There’s a passage in the book about how the Sussex couple won’t have to worry about money because Harry has made prudent investments of their earnings. That jumped out at me as information that is either completely made up or would have to be confirmed by someone very close to the Sussex couple because no one else could conceivably have information about their personal finances that they are legally able to disclose. Who would know their investment strategy beyond them and their financial advisors, who professionally can’t discuss an individual client?

What jumps out at me about this is the notion that HARRY has made these investments. Please. Is Omid implying Harry is an idiot sauvant when it comes to the stock market?

Apparently the book is hardly selling fast

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...m-row-barely-stirs-a-ripple-on-london-streets

In the last two centuries London’s oldest bookshop, Hatchards on Piccadilly, has sold stories of royal scandals, ructions and rifts.

The latest book in the royal genre, Endgame by journalist Omid Scobie, was at the centre of a media frenzy for most of last week, but was barely causing a ripple among shoppers this weekend. It was not on prominent display at the five-storey bookstore, which has royal warrants. The single copy had been put aside on order. At the nearby Waterstones, about 14 copies were stacked on a table near the entrance, but there was limited interest there too.

The book by a journalist who is viewed by many as a cheerleader for Prince Harry and the Duchess of Sussex has received some scathing reviews, with the Evening Standard describing it as an “absolute turkey”. The Washington Post observed that “the royal tea spilled here isn’t exactly hot”. But thanks to its rehashing of a story about whether two members of the royal family discussed the potential skin colour of Harry and Meghan’s first child, it has prompted a wave of front-page headlines.

At Hatchards, many shoppers had not heard of the book and most of those who had did not intend to buy it. Tom Manson, 40, a chartered surveyor from Clitheroe, Lancashire, said he considered coverage of the book “salacious nonsense”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...m-row-barely-stirs-a-ripple-on-london-streets

In the last two centuries London’s oldest bookshop, Hatchards on Piccadilly, has sold stories of royal scandals, ructions and rifts.

The latest book in the royal genre, Endgame by journalist Omid Scobie, was at the centre of a media frenzy for most of last week, but was barely causing a ripple among shoppers this weekend. It was not on prominent display at the five-storey bookstore, which has royal warrants. The single copy had been put aside on order. At the nearby Waterstones, about 14 copies were stacked on a table near the entrance, but there was limited interest there too.

The book by a journalist who is viewed by many as a cheerleader for Prince Harry and the Duchess of Sussex has received some scathing reviews, with the Evening Standard describing it as an “absolute turkey”. The Washington Post observed that “the royal tea spilled here isn’t exactly hot”. But thanks to its rehashing of a story about whether two members of the royal family discussed the potential skin colour of Harry and Meghan’s first child, it has prompted a wave of front-page headlines.

At Hatchards, many shoppers had not heard of the book and most of those who had did not intend to buy it. Tom Manson, 40, a chartered surveyor from Clitheroe, Lancashire, said he considered coverage of the book “salacious nonsense”.

The bottom line is that the book does not appear to have been well written, and for all his claims about sources and contacts, he has rehashed old tabloid stories.

As I said in an earlier thread I now wonder about some of the filler stuff about feelings , and who was speaking to whom, same with the investments, is it a lot of it good guess work.

When Harry was younger he would have received advice/ support on investments , it would have been done for him and hopefully it was done wisely so that is a fairly good guess.

I do not think we are any further forward with what happened the day the Queen died, and why Harry was not on the plane. He has complained for months that William didn't answer his messages, he was speaking with his father, he his on good terms with the Yorks why not phone Andrew.

The only thing is the letter and the names. So out of a whole book not that well written that is all we have that is new , and even that was a ' mistake'.

We still do not know for sure if it is correct and the context of the conversation, the only person who can tell us that is Harry because Meghan was not there.

It does appear that Meghans fingerprints are all over this , and that is maybe an unfair comment, but that is because she has a track record, people are now expecting things like this from her.

Omid claims the letter contents came from an ex disgruntled member of Charles staff, that should be easy enough to trace, or was that a red herring to take the attention away from the couple.

He also said in an interview that he had not known that Meghan had provided information to her communications secretary with regards Finding Freedom, he found out with the rest of the world were his words.
For somebody who claims to know the inner working of the palaces did he not expect a communications secretary to check or at least discuss with their boss what responses to send.

There are no winners in any of this, but I would say that Omid is the real loser, Harry and Meghan will distance themselves from him, the book is not that good, and he cannot be trusted with confidential information.

It is also unfortunate for the couple if they were trying to build bridges with the King as it looks like a betrayal on their part.

What jumps out at me about this is the notion that HARRY has made these investments. Please. Is Omid implying Harry is an idiot sauvant when it comes to the stock market?

Lol- that was my first thought too! Scobie can’t sell me that HARRY is a genius at investing. I buy that he gets exceptional advice.

That information could only have come from the Sussexes though. More proof of their ridiculously obvious involvement in this book.

I just checked Amazon and it isn't in the top 100. It is actually #140, which means that the book has only sold a couple of thousand copies in the last week.

This is certainly not good news for Scobie, with little interest in People apparently wanting to buy his book.

I will also say, in my opinion, that these sales figures are not really great for The Sussex's either. In that the allegations, complaints, and endless quarreling with The Firm have simply reached "saturation" level with most. Especially here in The States.

So much for "Endgame" and the preposterously worded Cover sentence ....."Inside The Royal Family And The Monarchy's Fight For Survival".

Seemingly, the Public has moved on....

Yes that was my thought, there doesn't even seem to be a sizeable "core fan base" anymore. I think everyone is done with the drama.

IMO the big issue is even people who are not pro RF (and I'm not necessarily talking about the idea monarchy more generally here) can see there are too many holes in the story to take it seriously. Also, rather like Harry's book so much has been leaked I bet a number of people feel what is the point in buying the book - we know the biggest story from it - the so called racism, and the "juiciest" parts of that aren't even in the copies you can now buy.

Omid and the Sussex's seem to have lost out most from it. The Sussex's at least have a smidgen of plausible deniability they can use, Omid's reputation as a serious journalist is shot though. He won't even really be able to get away with royal commentating now as the book lays bear how much he dislikes the other members of the RF. I imagine a number of broadcasters will steer clear for a good long while.

This is certainly not good news for Scobie, with little interest in People apparently wanting to buy his book.

I will also say, in my opinion, that these sales figures are not really great for The Sussex's either. In that the allegations, complaints, and endless quarreling with The Firm have simply reached "saturation" level with most. Especially here in The States.

So much for "Endgame" and the preposterously worded Cover sentence ....."Inside The Royal Family And The Monarchy's Fight For Survival".

Seemingly, the Public has moved on....

At this point, I think the Royal Family should just move on and not even consider making a statement. I think the public has already made it clear its feelings about this book.

At this point, I think the Royal Family should just move on and not even consider making a statement. I think the public has already made it clear its feelings about this book.

I would agree.

Yes that was my thought, there doesn't even seem to be a sizeable "core fan base" anymore. I think everyone is done with the drama.

IMO the big issue is even people who are not pro RF (and I'm not necessarily talking about the idea monarchy more generally here) can see there are too many holes in the story to take it seriously. Also, rather like Harry's book so much has been leaked I bet a number of people feel what is the point in buying the book - we know the biggest story from it - the so called racism, and the "juiciest" parts of that aren't even in the copies you can now buy.

Omid and the Sussex's seem to have lost out most from it. The Sussex's at least have a smidgen of plausible deniability they can use, Omid's reputation as a serious journalist is shot though. He won't even really be able to get away with royal commentating now as the book lays bear how much he dislikes the other members of the RF. I imagine a number of broadcasters will steer clear for a good long while.
I would like to believe that the drama is necessarily over but I think there is a lot of interest in the Sussexes. The problem for Scobie is that after people have heard from directly from Meghan and Harry, few people are likely to invest in a book written by a third party. I think if Harry and Meghan give another interview, they would get high ratings. Perhaps not as high as Oprah or the Netflix series, but a lot of people would watch it.

Back
Top Bottom