Education of the Cambridge Children, Part 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful picture! it's funny a simple thing as first day of school can be so fascinating to so many of us.

I do feel better after looking at 4M+ views of the video of the HRHs posted at Kensington website. At least I am not the only one fascinated by this.

Sky News Report: Charlotte on her first day of school-

Lovely photos. :flowers:

This is her second first day of school. When is the next, when old enough for Marlborough or another such school I am guessing which is what 13?

Definitely a bit more confident about it then George was. But she always seems a bit more at ease then he does.

Lovely photos. :flowers:

This is her second first day of school. When is the next, when old enough for Marlborough or another such school I am guessing which is what 13?

Definitely a bit more confident about it then George was. But she always seems a bit more at ease then he does.

She can leave Thomas’ at 11 but it’s likely she’ll leave at 13 and potentially head to Marlborough.

Thanks for the lovely first day at school shots of the children.
They look smart and happy.

Beautiful picture! it's funny a simple thing as first day of school can be so fascinating to so many of us.

I do feel better after looking at 4M+ views of the video of the HRHs posted at Kensington website. At least I am not the only one fascinated by this.

Between Twitter and Instagram the video has 10M views.

Is Marlborough a very good school? Or do people assume she is going to go there because her mother went there? I have zero knowledge of English education so explanations would be welcome ; )
On another level, isn't it odd that the royal children don't go to state schools? I remember that it was a huge row for the Norwegian crown when they decided their children would go to private schools. I must say that I was a bit uneasy with all the articles mentioning the prices of the school and what they offer... It seems so out of touch for common people

They aren't 'common people' though...they are like many other wealthy ppl. If you have money you can give your children different (sometimes better, not always) opportunities.

LaRae

Is Marlborough a very good school? Or do people assume she is going to go there because her mother went there?

The list of alumni is very impressive. List of Old Marlburians

The Queen’s former private secretary Baron Janvrin went to Marlborough as did Princess Eugenie, Capt Mark Philips and Tommy Lascelles, private secretary to both King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II. The list is endless.

Last edited:
Marlborough's a good school, one of the famous public schools which has now become co-ed. It has a sporty reputation. I guess people are thinking it's because Kate went there, (and Eugenie) though "going to the same school as your mother" is less ingrained than going somewhere because your Father went there.

Girls public schools generally start at 11 and have another big intake at 13 and boys schools and co ed schools mostly start at 13 so it really depends on which type of school they want to send her to and how she's getting on at Thomas's.

People have been calling out for the royals to go to state schools since Prince Charles started at Cheam and it hasn't happened yet. I suspect there will be voices that call for it though. IIRC there's a quote from a Charles birography somewhere (might be from Penny Junor) that Prince Phillip said they were lucky enough not to have to worry about money and he wanted to send his son to his old school Gordonstoun. Which didn't exactly work out for Charles, but might actually have been a good school for Harry.

At the end of the day full boarding worked out well for William and Harry and gave them some stability and still close friends, if it turns out a day school or flexi boarding suits one of their children better I think that would be arranged as well.

Last edited:
They aren't 'common people' though...they are like many other wealthy ppl. If you have money you can give your children different (sometimes better, not always) opportunities.
LaRae

Absolutely. If I had been in the position back then to provide same for my daughters, I would certainly have done in a heartbeat. Parents always want the best for their children. Plus these little sweeties are not common and never will be so their education is extremely important. I appreciate the fact mostly that these very stable parents are also providing them with a close and happy childhood. Seems that family life is very important to them, which is brilliant. Happy childhood love can never be replaced.

Is Marlborough a very good school? Or do people assume she is going to go there because her mother went there? I have zero knowledge of English education so explanations would be welcome ; )
On another level, isn't it odd that the royal children don't go to state schools? I remember that it was a huge row for the Norwegian crown when they decided their children would go to private schools. I must say that I was a bit uneasy with all the articles mentioning the prices of the school and what they offer... It seems so out of touch for common people

I just wanted to address the issue of state schools versus independent schools.

> If you live in central London, there are very few good state schools. As a result of this, an awful lot of professional people (accountants, bankers, lawyers, doctors etc) end up paying vast sums of money to privately educate their children.

> Whilst it may sound very elitist, in practice, it is far more "normal" than one might imagine. For an awful of the parents at the independent schools in central London, school fees can end up being a very substantial portion of their annual incomes.

> So at one level it is a rarefied world that can afford these schools, in practice, it can be quite "middle class".

Absolutely. If I had been in the position back then to provide same for my daughters, I would certainly have done in a heartbeat. Parents always want the best for their children. Plus these little sweeties are not common and never will be so their education is extremely important. I appreciate the fact mostly that these very stable parents are also providing them with a close and happy childhood. Seems that family life is very important to them, which is brilliant. Happy childhood love can never be replaced.

I have grandkids, you can bet if I ever win the lottery (and I do buy a ticket now and then) they will be given every financial advantage possible when it comes for education and future financial stability (trust fund etc).

LaRae

The advantage Marlborough has over Eton is that it is co-ed and so all three children could go there.

There are also many good private high schools in London they could attend so they didn't have to board at all.

Last edited:
The advantage Marlborough has over Eton is that it is co-ed and so all three children oculd go there.

There are also many good private high schools in London they could attend so they didn't have to board at all.

There are practical reasons for them to board. By the time Charlotte and Louis at least are that age, Charles will likely be king. If not, the queen will have slowed down more and the Cambridges will have to step way up. They will be expected to travel a great deal more then they already do. They can not bring their kids when their kids are in school. It leaves two options. They either leave their klds home with a nanny for long stints, or they send them to boarding school. Really not that many upside to being home with the nanny over it.

Both Kate and William went to boarding school and reportedly both enjoyed their time at the schools. And made lasting friendships. I dont see them seeing it in the negative light that some people see 'sending your kids away'.

There are practical reasons for them to board. By the time Charlotte and Louis at least are that age, Charles will likely be king. If not, the queen will have slowed down more and the Cambridges will have to step way up. They will be expected to travel a great deal more then they already do. They can not bring their kids when their kids are in school. It leaves two options. They either leave their klds home with a nanny for long stints, or they send them to boarding school. Really not that many upside to being home with the nanny over it.

Both Kate and William went to boarding school and reportedly both enjoyed their time at the schools. And made lasting friendships. I dont see them seeing it in the negative light that some people see 'sending your kids away'.

I agree, boarding school will be a good option for the Cambridge children from age 13 (for the boys) / 11 (for Charlotte).

The advantage Marlborough has over Eton is that it is co-ed and so all three children could go there.

Fair point. Though if the children are high academic achievers, Eton for the boys and Wycombe Abbey for Charlotte could be a good option as well.

Fair point. Though if the children are high academic achievers, Eton for the boys and Wycombe Abbey for Charlotte could be a good option as well.

Were William and harry high academic achievers? I thought entrance to eton was almost guaranteed for the sons of anyone who is someone in the uk...

I think the Cambridge children will be able to attend any school they please.
I don't see why they all must attend the same one, though.
George at least should go to Eton.

It's an interesting situation. I thing Boarding School is essential for a well-rounded education. There is no guarantee that any of them will enter the military so this is a chance to meet relatively ordinary kids.

The children may come from the aristocracy or be children of diplomats or military personnel serving overseas. Then again, they may be the child of a solo mother working really hard to provide her kids an excellent education and expose them to positive male role models.

It's an interesting situation. I thing Boarding School is essential for a well-rounded education. There is no guarantee that any of them will enter the military so this is a chance to meet relatively ordinary kids.

The children may come from the aristocracy or be children of diplomats or military personnel serving overseas. Then again, they may be the child of a solo mother working really hard to provide her kids an excellent education and expose them to positive male role models.

Boarding school isn’t exactly the only way to receive a well-rounded education. All other people in Europe manage to do without and still receive a well-rounded education. They would be perfectly fine at a day school if that is what their parents chose.

One advantage that parents have sending all their children to the same day school is that at night when they come home, siblings can rat each other out on who got in trouble, who goofed up and that sort of things. Parents get a real eye opener that way. ?

At a boarding school? This may just be a cultural difference, I guess, but in Denmark, that solo mother would have to be working in a very high-paying job to be able to afford sending her kids to boarding school and then I don't know that they're much different or ordinary than the diplomat's son or the Earl's daughter :lol:

I'd say the only chance the Cambridge kids have of going to a school where they'd meet a diverse group kids with different backgrounds would be if Will and Kate sent them to the local state school. Sadly, I can't see that happening at all although I think that'll always be the optimal choice – especially for all future monarchs.

One advantage that parents have sending all their children to the same day school is that at night when they come home, siblings can rat each other out on who got in trouble, who goofed up and that sort of things. Parents get a real eye opener that way.

:previous: There is that ? I know my sister usually did.

Another option would be a school that offers flex boarding programs. That would allow the kids to stay at times like when their parents travel, and be home as well. For Charlotte St George's Ascot (where Beatrice, Davina and Rose attended) offers what they call a tailored boarding option. Close proximity to Windsor and London would make it a good option.

Were William and harry high academic achievers? I thought entrance to eton was almost guaranteed for the sons of anyone who is someone in the uk...

No. William certainly did better then Harry, but high achiever may be a stretch. He received a A in geography, B in art history and C in Biology in his A levels. Harry did two A levels, and received a C in art and D in geography. William did go on to pass graduate with second degree honors from St Andrews though.

Though the queen's sons had never attended, Eton did have a strong history in both the Windsor and Spencer families. Both Diana's father and brother attended. The Gloucester and Kent families as well, including Prince Henry who was the first son of a monarch to attend school. George would like Henry attend school, but he went on to the naval college at 13 like the eldest brothers, while Henry had gone to Eton.

At a boarding school? This may just be a cultural difference, I guess, but in Denmark, that solo mother would have to be working in a very high-paying job to be able to afford sending her kids to boarding school and then I don't know that they're much different or ordinary than the diplomat's son or the Earl's daughter

I'd say the only chance the Cambridge kids have of going to a school where they'd meet a diverse group kids with different backgrounds would be if Will and Kate sent them to the local state school. Sadly, I can't see that happening at all although I think that'll always be the optimal choice – especially for all future monarchs.

There are different forms of diversity then simply economic diversity. Including other nationalities and so on. The boarding schools in the UK have often drawn students from other countries, royals and commoners alike. Including the future queen of Belgium attending school in Wales as we speak.

There are also scholarships and other ways that children from lower incomes attend these schools as well.

I dont see the need for the kids to attend a public school. Education is one of the places where people should spend money if they have it. Most people would send their kids to a better school if they could afford to do so.

Last edited:

They will most likely encounter more diverse students once they go to university.

I can't see Kate and William sending them to a state school; even politicians who refuse to support any increase in grammar schools and rail against elitist education still make an exception for their own children, and pay for a private school. :whistling:

There are different forms of diversity then simply economic diversity. Including other nationalities and so on. The boarding schools in the UK have often drawn students from other countries, royals and commoners alike. Including the future queen of Belgium attending school in Wales as we speak.

There are also scholarships and other ways that children from lower incomes attend these schools as well.

I dont see the need for the kids to attend a public school. Education is one of the places where people should spend money if they have it. Most people would send their kids to a better school if they could afford to do so.
It's interesting how perspectives differ so much based on the different educational systems. Luckily there are countries where you don't need to spend (a lot of) money for your child to get a great education.

And international diversity is something they will be exposed to a lot over the course of their lives; friendships with people from other (economic) ways of life much less so.

And coming from a country without boarding schools, it is really hard to imagine boarding school as the best option for a teenagers' education (and life in general). I'd say those adolescent years are a period in which parents should be actively involved in guiding/preparing their child for adult life instead of shipping them of to boarding school and expecting strangers to take care of those forming years - but I guess if that is how some grew up and how the upper class/someone's circle of society in general does these things, that's considered 'normal' and maybe even 'best'.

:previous: I don't come from a country where boarding schools are common at all. Even private schools are not that common.

But I am sorry money does help provide a better education. Smaller class sizes, access to better resources, involvement in a wider variety of activities and trips. These are things that unfortunately state schools are not able to often provide. Is it fair? No. But I don't know very many families who would say if they had the money to send their children to a better school, they wouldn't do so. Some families work two or three jobs to ensure their kids have access to the better schools then what is available to them otherwise. Education of kids is something that does and should take a high priority in life.

Do you have this vision of boarding schools where they send their kids off and they see them once or twice a year??? Anyone argue that Diana didnt have a huge influence on her sons and how they grew up? They went to boarding schooi before Eton. And yet I dont see anyone arguing her and Charles had no part in raising their kids in their formative years.

Boarding schools make sense for some people. For kids whose family are often on road for work it makes sense. This is why its common with children whose parents are things like diplomats or business. If their parents are traveling around the world the options are limited.

Royals dont choose boarding schools as they dont want to raise their kids. They choose boarding schools for

1. the education the kids receive
2. the practical reality of their parents constantly being on the road

The reality is the Cambridge kids will spend much of their teen years being raised by someone other then their parents. Simple fact they cant take their kids every where with them. So will it be a nanny or will it be boarding school.

At least boarding school they get the sense of being like the other students. They don't go home to a nanny and servants. They live in dorms and have the same life as the other kids around them.

I don't see any reason why Carol and Michael can't look after the children while Kate and Wiiliam are away. Kate and William have shown they are willing and able to do things their own way. They, together with Charles will decide how they are going to make their responsibilities of being working royals mesh with their views on how they want their own little family to work. There will always be any amount of nannies, housekeepers and other staff to help Carol and Michael with 3 children so I don't see any reason why they would 'have' to go boarding school instead of normal day school if that's what Kate and William decide they want. They might even decide to share the travel so either of them can be home with/without Carol and Micheal. There are lots of options. They can make it happen if that's what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom