Easter Holidays 2016 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the processions (I believe a Good Friday one) is also leaving the Royal Palace.

What kind of procession is it today/on Saturday - given that in the holy week this is when Jesus is in the grave?

Other video:

Other photos:
i found it strange they are watching it from the street, just like any other person. in the past they have used private balconies (possibly of friends), so wondering why they didn't do it this time. i wonder if they want to portray a more 'normal' image. also curious as to why they aren't in mallorca, which was typically their easter trip (but maybe they haven't been in several years and it was reported in the past how letizia didn't care for going there).

One of the processions (I believe a Good Friday one) is also leaving the Royal Palace.

What kind of procession is it today/on Saturday - given that in the holy week this is when Jesus is in the grave?
The Good Friday procession that leaves the Royal Palace is that of the Cristo de los Alabrderos, the Alabarderos is the Honor Guard of the Royal Family.

Today's procession represents the meeting between the Virgin and her dead son in the tomb.

Thanks for the clarification.

Had never heard of that and historically/biblically it is clearly inaccurate as on Sabbath Mary would never have visited the tomb (which was guarded).

i found it strange they are watching it from the street, just like any other person. in the past they have used private balconies (possibly of friends), so wondering why they didn't do it this time. i wonder if they want to portray a more 'normal' image. also curious as to why they aren't in mallorca, which was typically their easter trip (but maybe they haven't been in several years and it was reported in the past how letizia didn't care for going there).
I bet the bodyguards would have preferred the balcony, in the video they can be seen doing some nervewrecking work. A lot of police there, too. It's hard to pretend to be normal when you are not.

She stopped coloring her hair during the Covid lockdown, so 4 years ago now.
Txs. I never noticed this before.
Respect
! Some women look so akward being in their late years with dyed hair as if they were still 30, while their husband looks age-appropriate, sic Silvia and Carl Gustav.

I would be very surprised if Letizia did nothing to her hair. She may have grey streaks but in general the hair is much darker than it was in her earlier years. Its fashionable to sport some grey, the rest can easily be dyed.

Thanks for the clarification.

Had never heard of that and historically/biblically it is clearly inaccurate as on Sabbath Mary would never have visited the tomb (which was guarded).
I think its more symbolic than biblical accurate ,Holy Saturday is a solemn day and no Mass is celebrated until Easter Sunday.
The elaborate Holy Week processions in Spain are mainly for Tourists.
Here in Ireland the only procession is on Good Friday (The Way of the Cross).

The elaborate Holy Week processions in Spain are mainly for Tourists.
No, processions, although they attract tourists, are not simply tourist events, and many brotherhoods and processions have centuries of tradition. There are important brotherhoods and their sculptures that have been in procession since the 17th century. In a country like Spain where truly practicing Catholics are becoming fewer and fewer, for many people the processions and events of Holy Week have a historical and cultural component, and many places have their own traditions. Even in small villages, people take out the Christs and virgins from their churches and make small processions these days.

Obviously now they are also a tourist attraction, and there are cities like Madrid that had lost these traditions and are recovering them, and creating new tourist attractions also has an influence.

The Christ carried by the Legion in Malaga in the Malaga procession is the work of Pedro de Mena in the 17th century and one of the most recognized works of the Spanish Baroque. In the city of Valladolid there are sculptural groups by Gregorio Fernández, from that same period that were already designed for procession and that the rest of the year are exhibited in the National Museum of Sculpture. In Murcia the Salcillo sculptures have been in procession since the 18th century.

In Spain during Holy Week there are thousands of events, processions, historical representations, drums... in large cities and small towns, they are part of the tradition and culture of each city, and although now they have more impact due to tourism, they have decades or centuries of history.

King Juan Carlos and his daughter, Infanta Elena, appear in the photos during a day of Mass at the "Abraham Family House" in Abu Dhabi

Nice to see Elena and Felipe with King Juan Carlos for Easter Day Mass!

Back
Top Bottom