Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April-September 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was Harry's gift to the Queen for her 92nd birthday according to Wikipedia. So yes, it seems very much something that Harry himself created (with Meghan - but as it was a month before their wedding it was official Harry) but managed to get the queen to become its patron (sound a bit like the way my mother (as a child) managed to keep a cat by giving it as a birthday present to her grandfather who lived with them).

It doesn't seem to have any official connection though to the Commonwealth and, despite its name, not much of an actual connection to the Queen either. It appears to fall more into the category of a private initiative.

She is getting increasingly more partisan at each appearance and is now being more open about picking sides.

I wish we could see the full video.

Last edited:
There does seem to be some uncertainty about its set up. Interesting disclaimer on the website for it:

D

Edit - its 2018 annual report starts with the following:

We launched The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust (QCT) on HM The Queen’s 92nd birthday, 21st April 2018. We wanted this Trust to be a gift to Her Majesty that recognised her lifelong belief in young people as a force for good in the world.

T
g and support. I

That is from Lord Geidt (HM's former Private Secretary) and chairman of the QCT.
Who is the "we" who launched the QCT? Sorry but its not at all cleaer? Lord Geidt?

Meghan and Harry volunteering with Baby2Baby this week

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEJl4UeFGGs/?igshid=1we9eui2dntge

Correction: Harry and Meghan at a PR stunt at a Baby2Baby.

And yes, when you are a private citizen who brings your own photographer to a charity event it is a pure pr stunt.
I am actually disgusted, but not remotely surprised.

I guess Meghan forgot her own posts about charity.

Interesting they once again choose a very well known charity which has multiple influential, famous and wealthy donors and backers. Why not choose an unknown small and struggling charity?
In fact all the charities they have worked with since leaving have been big, with large wealthy and celebrity donors.

Last edited:
While I also see their participation primarily as PR for this organization and themselves, they already included Baby2Baby in their list of organizations to donate to celebrate Archie's birth (I still don't really understand why people would donate because a royal baby is born but I guess others do). So, at least this organization has been on their radar for some time.

While I also see their participation primarily as PR for this organization and themselves, they already included Baby2Baby in their list of organizations to donate to celebrate Archie's birth (I still don't really understand why people would donate because a royal baby is born but I guess others do). So, at least this organization has been on their radar for some time.

Which is why this is odd, this is a well known well established organization with very wealthy backers.
Why not search and help a smaller less well known one?

If they want coverage they need to create for themselves now.

This is what they wanted wasn't it. To only have the media they wanted at events. And you pay for that but it is also no guarantee the media at large will bite. But at the moment, of course, they will. But it is the life they wanted. I find it sad to be honest.

Last edited:
Is it known that the photographer was brought by H&M and not already there for the organization itself? If they did bring the photographer I agree that it’s tacky- why do private citizens need a photographer to capture them volunteering? That’s a PR opportunity, not just volunteering out of the goodness of their hearts.

That said, this seems like a very worthwhile organization to give back to and it’s nice to see that they are involving themselves in local charities in LA.

Is it known that the photographer was brought by H&M and not already there for the organization itself? If they did bring the photographer I agree that it’s tacky- why do private citizens need a photographer to capture them volunteering? That’s a PR opportunity, not just volunteering out of the goodness of their hearts.

That said, this seems like a very worthwhile organization to give back to and it’s nice to see that they are involving themselves in local charities in LA.

I've seen versions that have copyright on them which make it clear they were professional photographers there to take photos of them. Meaning it was likely a PR stunt (by two private people not on duty), even though I'm sure they care about the charity as well.

Regardless of whether they bring a photographer or there is one there arleady.... the whole rationale is to be noticed.. They have done a few days of volunteering over the months of Covid and every time it seems to wind up on the Net...

Well, if this is true looks like the Sussexes and Baby2Baby have something in common: the infamous Subshine Sachs.

Attachments

• C73F99AB-D4F7-4AA3-B7BB-D9C386975060.jpg
    C73F99AB-D4F7-4AA3-B7BB-D9C386975060.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 80
Its the middle of a pandemic. All charities, big and small, are struggling right now. They can all use support. Heaven forbid the two of them volunteer at a charity that works to support children living in poverty. Those kids, ones who rely on foodbanks and school meals to ensure a meal in their belly, are some of those who will be hurting most right now during this.

As for the photographer yeah its professional. Have people ever been to charity events? Charities usually hire photographers (if they have the funds) to take photos for their websites and to help spread word about their work. There is no reason to think the photographer was brought by Harry and Meghan.

They are out helping people plain and simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the middle of a pandemic. All charities, big and small, are struggling right now. They can all use support. Heaven forbid the two of them volunteer at a charity that works to support children living in poverty. Those kids, ones who rely on foodbanks and school meals to ensure a meal in their belly, are some of those who will be hurting most right now during this.

As for the photographer yeah its professional. Have people ever been to charity events? Charities usually hire photographers (if they have the funds) to take photos for their websites and to help spread word about their work. There is no reason to think the photographer was brought by Harry and Meghan.

It was the PR company. They are connected through that and a sure way for the charity to get promotion.

It is what it is. Like you say charity work is charity.

[...]

well, I agree I think they are long over the top now, whatever they do is criticised.

I still feel it's strange for them to do charity work in a foreign country, yes she is US, but all this mediacoverage, what are they going for?
and that CW thing, I hope after the review HM will put it on somebody else, the combination of all this is not ok nd will cause problems...
[...]

Well, are they?

I feel, there is the problem! Are they really helping in a for American eyes totally ok way - Do good and talk about it?

Or are they trying to get some kind of charity enterprise running, which will guarantee their future income?

So this is what want to be PRIVATE means. As long there is a camera they are fine. If one want to due charity work, do it no cameras please.I believe it would mean more, at least to me.

So this is what want to be PRIVATE means. As long there is a camera they are fine. If one want to due charity work, do it no cameras please.I believe it would mean more, at least to me.

But then how else would people know that they did charity work? That’s another pitfall about becoming “private” citizens.

I still wonder about what Harry and Meghan want to do as a living after leaving the UK. Is doing charity their main work now? Or is something else entirely? It's confusing to me. Of course, they are private citizens now and we won't probably know the answer for their life plans, but for me, this is all too confusing, charities with photographers, call for votes, the lawsuit where the members of the royal family are mentioned in the papers, etc...What are Harry and Meghan's real plan for life? What is their main goal?

They are free to do whatever they want to do, when they want to do it and how they want to do it. No rules. They could join a traveling charity circus if they deemed it's what they want to do.

Will they make a difference as much as if they'd stayed within the "Firm"? Probably not. Is this something shocking, pearl clutching and horrible? No. They actually participated in an event for charity. Its more than I did yesterday. Can't criticize that.

If one person is helped because of what the Sussexes do, its all good. ?

I still wonder about what Harry and Meghan want to do as a living after leaving the UK. Is doing charity their main work now? Or is something else entirely? It's confusing to me. Of course, they are private citizens now and we won't probably know the answer for their life plans, but for me, this is all too confusing, charities with photographers, call for votes, the lawsuit where the members of the royal family are mentioned in the papers, etc...What are Harry and Meghan's real plan for life? What is their main goal?

They are setting up an African ecotour business, which, despite being disguised as a charity, looks to me like a commercial enterprise.

They are also trying to become TV producers, but no studio seems to have taken them yet.

They are setting up an African ecotour business, which, despite being disguised as a charity, looks to me like a commercial enterprise.

They are also trying to become TV producers, but no studio seems to have taken them yet.

I'm going to jump on my gut reaction here about the African ecotour idea. Sounds like something aimed at the demographics of the rich and famous and a 3 hour tour to draw them into the plight of African communities sorely needing attention. All well and good but this venture is going to be lost on the public masses still reeling and rocking and trying to recover from a very affected economy and an unemployment rate that has hit a record new high in 2020. Sorry but to me, charity begins at home.

People running to studios wanting to produce something are a dime a dozen in Hollywood/entertainment business and everybody has a grand idea to make it work. Wanting to be "producers" actually means that the Sussexes will foot the bill for the production or be responsible for finding financial investors. They just need takers and if no one is buying into what they're selling, they're going to realize that their name and titles aren't opening doors as easy as they thought they would.

Then again, Oprah has her own network (OWN) and that could possibly be a connection the Sussexes use. The OWN network seems to be popular with a certain demographic and is profitable but once again, plays mostly to a certain demographic of people. It is in no way near the "global platform" or of demographic interest to the public masses as being part of the "Firm" was.

It may be that the "global platform" and the global influence to make global changes is no longer their aim and they wish to "streamline" themselves to a certain demographic along with making a profit while doing so. I wish them well on that but its also true that they're not the only ones seeking to rise to the pinnacle in this manner and the competition is something they'll have to deal with.

And they thought they had competition from other members of the BRF? Now they get to experience "real" competition in the "real" world. Its a dog eat dog world out there and they're wearing Milk Bone underwear. ;)

Last edited:
I was buying groceries and the magazine at the checkout lane had the screaming headline "Meghan thinks the monarchy should end after current queen dies". Surely they weren't dumb enough to say that in the new book about her? The rest of the quotes in the headline came from the "Finding Freedom" book.

I was buying groceries and the magazine at the checkout lane had the screaming headline "Meghan thinks the monarchy should end after current queen dies". Surely they weren't dumb enough to say that in the new book about her? The rest of the quotes in the headline came from the "Finding Freedom" book.

From my experience as a very long time grocery shopper, those headlines in the checkout lane aren't to do anything but make you laugh. That statement supposedly on Meghan's thoughts on the monarchy probably was in the same publication that has people seeing Elvis in their grilled cheese sandwiches and has run the "gin soaked Camilla vs. the dying Queen" stories on a regular basis.

Not worth the time other than a laugh while standing there with a grocery cart and wanting out quickly so you can open the donuts in the parking lot. :D

Tabloids are usually BS. H&M would find the Bank of Dad permanently closed even if they implied that— which to my knowledge they have never done

Just saw a headline myself. "Harry and Meghan EVICTED from Frogmore Cotttage". That's three seconds my eyeballs will never get back again. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom