Deaths announcements 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP and only last year her younger sister Princess María Teresa of Bourbon-Parma died and another aunt of the duke of Parma has passed.

:previous:

Both websites are mistaken about the daughters of his second marriage, I'm afraid. His daughters identify themselves with the family and surname of their mother, which information is found in many places, including their pages on social media.

Well, how they identify themselves doesn't mean that they are not Princesses Sapieha, genealogy wise I mean...Even in reigning monarchies, Lady Louise and Viscont Severn chose to identify themselves as Lord and Lady, but that doesn't mean that they are still not Prince/ss and HRH, even if not publicly used. In the order of precedence, they are treated as HRH, not as the son and daughter of an Earl.

I can change my name many times, but that doesn't change what I was born with and those websites obviously follow that...

RIP and only last year her younger sister Princess María Teresa of Bourbon-Parma died and another aunt of the duke of Parma has passed.

:bourbonparma:........:duchyofparma: ........... ?

Her ashes were interred only last week at the Steccata,so sad.

:previous:

Both websites are mistaken about the daughters of his second marriage, I'm afraid. His daughters identify themselves with the family and surname of their mother, which information is found in many places, including their pages on social media.

Well, how they identify themselves doesn't mean that they are not Princesses Sapieha, genealogy wise I mean...Even in reigning monarchies, Lady Louise and Viscont Severn chose to identify themselves as Lord and Lady, but that doesn't mean that they are still not Prince/ss and HRH, even if not publicly used. In the order of precedence, they are treated as HRH, not as the son and daughter of an Earl.

I can change my name many times, but that doesn't change what I was born with and those websites obviously follow that...

Polish titles of nobility were abolished in 1921.

I have not read that they changed their names. Both were born in countries where it is legally possible for both parents to pass their names to their children at birth.

I wouldn't say Lady Louise and Viscount Severn decided this but it was decided for them by their parents and the Queen

Polish titles of nobility were abolished in 1921.

I have not read that they changed their names. Both were born in countries where it is legally possible for both parents to pass their names to their children at birth.

I know, but genealogy wise, it would be very weird to put Princess Paola de Bourbon Orleans Braganca as such in Sapieha family tree without pointing out that she is in fact a Sapieha, it would be misleading for those who are not farmiliar with the situation. It would look more like she is an agnatic member of Orleans de Bourbon family. Even if you know someone legally changed the name (here we don't know that), for genealogy sites that is not so important, but the fact that they are daughters of XX Prince and XX Princess and that their titles in pretension are xxx, as they belong to this and this Princely family.

As for Paola Maria, she is legally a Princess as her husband is officially a Prince in Belgium. And in Belgium, her title is legal. Imagine saying she could not be Princess Swiatopolk-Czetwertynska under the Belgian law, just because her social media presents her as Paola Maria de Bourbon Orleans Braganca.

That was my point.

Last edited:
I know, but genealogy wise, it would be very weird to put Princess Paola de Bourbon Orleans Braganca as such in Sapieha family tree without pointing out that she is in fact a Sapieha, it would be misleading for those who are not farmiliar with the situation. It would look more like she is an agnatic member of Orleans de Bourbon family.Even if you know someone legally changed the name (here we don't know that), for genealogy sites that is not so important, but the fact that they are daughters of XX Prince and XX Princess and that their titles in pretension are xxx, as they belong to this and this Princely family.

As both father and mother are identified, it is clear that she is (legally) an Orleans Bragança by descent from her mother. In any event, it is much more potentially misleading for a family tree to use only one of her names while forgetting the remainder of her legal name by which she is known in actuality.

As for Paola Maria, she is legally a Princess as her husband is officially a Prince in Belgium. And in Belgium, her title is legal. Imagine saying she could not be Princess Swiatopolk-Czetwertynska under the Belgian law, just because her social media presents her as Paola Maria de Bourbon Orleans Braganca.

That was my point.

With respect, neither the family trees, which both use maiden names and titles for married women, nor the previous posts addressed names or titles borne by marriage.

But to address that point, last names and titles of nobility in Belgium are not legally carried by wives. While she may be addressed as a Princess Czetwertynski as a courtesy, she is technically still a commoner and technically still a Bourbon Orleans Bragança Sapieha.

Last edited:
While she may be addressed as a Princess Czetwertynski as a courtesy, she is technically still a commoner and technically still a Bourbon Orleans Bragança Sapieha.

I agree with you, but genealogy wise, it is easier for them just to list her as Princess Paola Maria Sapieha, as she is in pretension, than to list her as Princess Paola Maria Bourbon Orleans Bragança Sapieha, just based on her social media.

And if we follow spanish rules she would not be Paola Maria Bourbon Orleans Bragança Sapieha, but Paola Maria Sapieha y Orleans. Sapieha would be the first family name listed and not last.

I get the impression that she wanted to be known more like Orleans Bragança than Sapieha...but that's just my impression.

I found this quote by Princess Paola in Vogue Arabia from 2013 - "My name is Paola Orléans e Bragança; that is not my full name, but that is how I refer to myself."
Nowadays many of us live where we're free to chose our own names and while those choices are to be respected it raises issues when it comes to royal and noble genealogy and titles. Paola might be legally entitled to use her mother's surname (I'm not familiar with Brazilian laws, but TM is usually very good at researching these matters) it still doesn't make her a member of the House of Orleans-Bragança. Her noble status comes through her father and not through her mother. For her to inherit her mother's status would require a decree from the head of the house and the Pétropolis' don't really seem to care much about these issues.

She is official Paola Orléans e Bragança and this name is in her passport. So we can't make from her Princess Paola of Sapieha. Does any person write about Viscount Severn as Prince James of Wessex? No. Or Jonkheer Willem-Alexander van Amsberg about King of the Netherlands when he was a prince? No. There is also the House Law, which can determine the titles of family members. We don't know, did the head of house sign any Letters Patent. It's possible that after the divorce he agreed to add the girls to the House of Orleans-Braganca. They aren't t reigning family so they don't have to publish all family documents.

I found this quote by Princess Paola in Vogue Arabia from 2013 - "My name is Paola Orléans e Bragança; that is not my full name, but that is how I refer to myself."
Nowadays many of us live where we're free to chose our own names and while those choices are to be respected it raises issues when it comes to royal and noble genealogy and titles. Paola might be legally entitled to use her mother's surname (I'm not familiar with Brazilian laws, but TM is usually very good at researching these matters) it still doesn't make her a member of the House of Orleans-Bragança. Her noble status comes through her father and not through her mother. For her to inherit her mother's status would require a decree from the head of the house and the Pétropolis' don't really seem to care much about these issues.

I totally share your opinion. That was my point also.

She is official Paola Orléans e Bragança and this name is in her passport. So we can't make from her Princess Paola of Sapieha. Does any person write about Viscount Severn as Prince James of Wessex? No.

Of course, you don't write as his parents wanted him to be known like Viscount Severn, but in the order of precedence, James would be treated as HRH as he still automatically is, not as the son of an non-royal Earl.

In 2020, the Countess of Wessex stated that James still retains his royal title and style.

So, it's not like he isn't a Prince, he is just not referred to as Prince, but a Viscount with all his birth rights still in force.

She is official Paola Orléans e Bragança and this name is in her passport. So we can't make from her Princess Paola of Sapieha. Does any person write about Viscount Severn as Prince James of Wessex? No. Or Jonkheer Willem-Alexander van Amsberg about King of the Netherlands when he was a prince? No. There is also the House Law, which can determine the titles of family members. We don't know, did the head of house sign any Letters Patent. It's possible that after the divorce he agreed to add the girls to the House of Orleans-Braganca. They aren't t reigning family so they don't have to publish all family documents.
Both sisters became Spanish citizens in 2005 under the surname "Sapieha de Bourbón" (sic). This information is public on the internet.

Robin Harvey Combe, who died 28 August, 2021, aged 87, was a scion of that landed family and a grandson of the 4th Earl of Leicester, of Holkham Hall.

Mr Combe, a JP for Norfolk, lived sometime at the Manor House, Burnham Thorpe, King's Lynn, Norfolk, and latterly at the Bayfield Hall estate, near Holt, Norfolk.

He was born 2 January, 1934, son of Capt Simon Harvey Combe, MC [1903-65] and his wife the former Lady Silvia Beatrice Coke [1909-2005], daughter of the 4th Earl of Leicester [1880-1949], and his wife the former Marion Gertrude Trefusis [1882-1955], scion of the Barons Clinton.

He married 21 January, 1960, Olga Wise, daughter of R.J. Wise, by whom he had issue, two sons, Roger and Simon, and two daughters, Carey and Silvia.

Sources: Peerage News.
https://www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/gotha/coke.html

And left four children and six grandchildren.

Count Philipp Karl Franz Johann Ignatius von Meran died on 2 April.

He was born in Csákberényi on 11 December 1926 as fourth of six children of Count Philipp von Meran (1894-1950) & his wife Countess Marie-Anna von und zu Eltz genannt Faust von Stromberg (1900-1994).
He was unmarried and childless.
Only siblings who survive him are the younger ones: twins Maximilian and Eleonore (b.20 April 1930) as well as twelve nieces and nephews and their families.

Sources: https://www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/gotha/austria.html
Descendants of Archduke Johann of Austria

Sir Timothy Colman, KG, who died at his Norfolk home on 9 September aged 91, was a member of the Colmans mustard family, a Knight of the Garter, and a cousin [by marriage] of the Queen.

Timothy James Alan Colman was born on 19 September 1929 as a son of the cricketer Geoffrey Russell Rees Colman (1892-1935) & his wife Lettice Elizabeth Evelyn Adeane, scion of that landed gentry family.

He was educated at the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, and joined the Royal Navy, leaving as a lieutenant in 1953, before commencing a business career. He subsequently joined the Castaways' Club. Colman was chairman of the Eastern Counties Newspaper Group from 1969 to 1996. He was appointed a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter in 1996.

Colman was a yachtsman, and claimed the record for the world's fastest yacht at 26.3 knots with Crossbow, a proa outrigger, at the inception of the World Sailing Speed Record Council in 1972. He increased the record to 31.2 knots three years later, and then in 1980 his catamaran Crossbow II extended the record to 36 knots.It held the record for six years until being beaten by the sailboard of Pascal Maka of France. Colman was a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron.

He married on 10 November 1951 Mary Cecilia Bowes-Lyon (b. 30 January 1932) a first cousin of Her Majesty the Queen, elder of twin daughters of Captain the Honourable Michael Claude Hamilton Bowes-Lyon (1893-1953) who was an elder brother of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, & his wife Elizabeth Margaret Cator (1899-1959), scion of that Norfolk landed gentry family. His wife, Mary, an extra lady in waiting to Princess Alexandra, was raised to the rank of an earl's daughter, in 1974, two years after the succession to the earldom of Strathmore and Kinghorne, of her brother, Fergus.

Lady Mary Colman died on 2 January 2021 at the Colman family home at Bixley Manor.

Sir Timothy's death leaves five vacancies among the Knights Companion of the Order of the Garter, following the deaths of Lord Carrington, Field Marshal Lord Bramall, Lord Ashburton, and Sir Antony Acland [who predeceased him by one day]. No new knights were appointed during the Covid crisis, but it is expected that Her Majesty will make further appointments in her 2022 jubilee year bringing the number to full capacity of 24.

Sir Timothy leaves issue: three daughters - Sarah (b.1953, Mrs. Peter Troughton), Sabrina (b.1955, Mrs. Christopher Penn) and Emma (b.1958, former Mrs. Richard Ramsbotham), two sons James (b.1962, married to Sacha Cotterell) and Matthew (b.1966, married to Jane Johnston) as well as ten grandchildren and fourteen great-grandchildren.
The eldest daughter, Sarah Troughton, is Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire.

Sources: https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2021/09/sir-timothy-james-alan-colman-kg-1929.html
Descendants of Sir Claude George Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne

I agree with you. :)
I heard in an interview on TV given by the Countess of Wessex, that when Lady Louise and Viscount Severn reached 18 year old they could decide whether to take up the use of the HRH Princess Louise, and HRH Prince James. However, she thought that Lady Louise, who was nearing her 18th birthday at the time of the interview, would be unlikely to request this.

I wouldn't say Lady Louise and Viscount Severn decided this but it was decided for them by their parents and the Queen

and when they turn 18 they have the right to choose to be called HRH Prince or Princess if they so choose - personally I hope that Lady Louise will claim the title of Princess Louise.

:previous: HSH Princess Charlene of Monaco attended his late Majesty's funeral.

Princess Caroline of Waldeck and Pyrmont died on September 22 this year at the age of 61.

Caroline Gustava Adelheid was born on Jan 8, 1960 in Hanover to Prince Friedrich-Carl of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1933-2018) and his wife Ingeborg von Biela (1932-2018). She married Cord-Georg Hasselmann in 1985 and they had two daughters and a son. In addition to her husband and children, she is survived by a daughter-in-law (wife of her eldest daughter), her younger sisters Donata (*1961) and Juliane (*1962), and her nieces and nephew.

Source: https://www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/gotha/waldeck.html
Descendants of Duke Wilhelm of Nassau

Passing of Princess Caroline of Waldeck and Pyrmont

Princess Caroline of Waldeck and Pyrmont died on September 22 this year at the age of 61.

Caroline Gustava Adelheid was born on Jan 8, 1960 in Hanover to Prince Friedrich-Carl of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1933-2018) and his wife Ingeborg von Biela (1932-2018). She married Cord-Georg Hasselmann in 1985 and they had two daughters and a son. In addition to her husband and children, she is survived by a daughter-in-law (wife of her eldest daughter), her younger sisters Donata (*1961) and Juliane (*1962), and her nieces and nephew.

Source: https://www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/gotha/waldeck.html
Descendants of Duke Wilhelm of Nassau

Small correction: Princess Caroline died on the 11th September, according to angelfire website

Virginia Seymour, who died 7 September, 2021, aged 89, was a scion of the Marquesses of Hertford, and a granddaughter of the 3rd Duke of Abercorn.

Mary Virginia Seymour was born 27 May, 1932, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Reginald Henry Seymour, KCVO [1878-1938], the courtier who served as Equerry to HM King George V, 1916-36, and to HM Queen Mary, 1936-38, by his second wife, the former Lady Katharine Hamilton, DCVO [1900-1985], Woman of the Bedchamber to HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, 1937-60, and Extra Woman of the Bedchamber from 1960 to 1985.

Virginia Seymour was a first cousin of the 8th Earl Spencer, father of Diana, Princess of Wales. Her elder half-brother Major Raymond Seymour, held the rare distinction of having served as page of honour to three monarchs: George V, Edward VIII and George VI. As such he was one of the train bearers to George VI at the 1937 Coronation. He was then attached to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's Household from 1954 until her death in 2002.

Miss Seymour's funeral takes place at Chichester Cathedral, 1 Oct, 2021.

Sources: https://www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/gotha/somerset.html
https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2021/09/mary-virginia-seymour-1932-2021.html

Princess Lalla Malika of Morocco died on 28 September.

She was born at the Dar al-Makhzin, Rabat on 14 March 1933 as a daughter of Mohammed V (1909–1961), Sultan of Morocco from 1927 to 1953 (recognized as Sultan again upon his return from exile in 1955) and King from 1957 to 1961 and his second wife (and cousin) Princess Lalla Abla bint Tahar (1909–1992) [She was the daughter of Moulay Mohammed al-Tahar bin Hassan, a son of Sultan Hassan I of Morocco (1836-1894).

She married at the Dar al-Makhzin, Rabat, on 16 August 1961 Lieutenant-General H.E. Sharif Mulay Muhammad Cherkaoui (1921-2002), Ambassador to France 1961-1964, President Permanent Consultative Committee of the Maghreb 1964, Minister for Finance & the National Economy 1964-1965, for Development 1965-1966, Foreign Affairs 1966-1967, and National Defence 1967, President Afro-Asian Economic Co-operation, son of H.E. Sharif Mulay ‘Abdu’llah al-Cherkaoui.

She had three sons - Moulay Sulaiman (Slimane), Moulay Omar & Moulay Al-Mahdi and a daughter Lalla Rabia.

She was the chairwoman of the Moroccan Red Crescent from 1967 until her death.

She is last of King Mohammed IV's paternal aunts to pass away.

Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_V_of_Morocco
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Lalla_Malika_of_Morocco
https://www.royalark.net/Morocco/morocco12.htm

Prince Albert Friedrich of Thurn and Taxis died on July 17 at the age of 91.

He was born on July 5, 1930 to Prince Philipp Ernst of Thurn and Taxis (1908-1964) and his wife Princess Eulalia of Thurn and Taxis (1908-1993). In 1962 he married Baroness Alexandra von der Ropp (1932-2018). They had no children.

In addition to his wife, he was predeceased by his sister Margarete "Daisy" (1933-2019). He is survived by his other sister Antonia (*1936).

Source: https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2021/08/prince-albert-friedrich-of-thurn-and.html

Countess Theresia of Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg died on Sep 25 at Schloß Hogl at the age of 90.

Maria Theresia Walburga Elisabeth Antonia was born on Aug 8, 1931 in Schloß Zeil. She was the third of seven children of Erich August, Prince of Waldburg (1899-1953) and his wife Princess Monika of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1905-1992), and the last of her siblings to pass away.

In 1962 she married Alois, Count von Nostitz-Rieneck (1925-2003). They had four children together: Friedrich (*1963), Monika (*1965), Sophie-Bernadette (*1967), and Franz-Erwein (*1970). She is survived by her children as well as 14 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren.

Source: Descendants of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria
https://www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/gotha/waldburg.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom