Christening of Prince Julian: August 14, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The priest, the parents and the godparents (it can differ between different priests) lay their hands over the one being baptised while praying and the reading of the blessing. The laying of hands has its root in the Old Testament.

From memory isn't it to do with the invoking of the Holy Spirit?

The chapel looked really beautiful yesterday.

The priest, the parents and the godparents (it can differ between different priests) lay their hands over the one being baptised while praying and the reading of the blessing. The laying of hands has its root in the Old Testament.
I don't know why Patrick Sommerlath didn't raise his hand.

It was just the timing of the picture, he raised his hand slightly ather the other godparents

Screenshot

But why palm up instead of down? That doesn't make sense if they are 'laying hands' (from a distance) on Julian.

Thanks JR, the video is still available outside of Sweden too.
Gotta say that their musical choices are always interesting :D

Someone wrote that the Swedish church is rather flexible in these things. Based on their choices during church services they don't strike me as very religious; nonetheless, they go along with the tradition (and in that way are probably very comparable to other young Swedes who don't frequent the Lutheran church but do so for weddings, christening services and funerals).

Last edited by a moderator:
But why palm up instead of down? That doesn't make sense if they are 'laying hands' (from a distance) on Julian.
No idea. In non-pandemic times they'd all be up at the altar with their hands over Julian.
Someone wrote that the Swedish church is rather flexible in these things. Based on their choices during church services they don't strike me as very religious; nonetheless, they go along with the tradition (and in that way are probably very comparable to other young Swedes who don't frequent the Lutheran church but do so for weddings, christening services and funerals).
The use of non-religious, but with a spiritual message, songs is normal in the Church of Sweden and it's up to the officiating priest to decide if a song is suitable for a the ceremony. Apparently "All for love" was chosen because it's taken from the film The three musketeers" which fits a family of three boys.

This christening was totally different from the other christenings, highlighting perhaps that Julian isn't a HRH and member of the Royal House. The music choices very out of the ordinary.

It was strange that they had put the Speaker of the Riksdag Andreas Norlén and his wife to sit at different places. The Speaker sat with godfathers Patrick Sommerlath and Jacob Högfeldt and the Speaker's wife sat at the same pew with the Crown Princess family and Svante Lindqvist, the Clerk of the Office of the Order. Why Svante Lindqvist couldn't sit with the godfathers so that Andreas and Helena Norlén could have sat together?
Behind Victoria and her family sat Lord Chamberlain-in-Waiting and Director of the Stockholm Concert Hall Stefan Forsberg, Axel and Estelle Bodén and Therese Högfeldt, wife of godfather Jacob Högfeldt.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Gallery
Cristening Prince Julian, Stockholm 14-08-2021 - Images _ Bernard Rübsamen

Love was in the air according to Svensk Damtidning, little gestures of love from Daniel to Victoria and from Chris to Madeleine
Daniels kärleksgest till Victoria – fångades på bild under prins Julians dop _*Svensk Dam
Madeleines kärleksögonblick med Chris – allt filmas! _*Svensk Dam

Swedish Press Agency SPA published this evening this video. They had photographers at two places, so there is a little different material.

One of the guests was H.E. Ambassador Victor Ivanovich Tatarintsev, Ambassador of the Russian Federation to Sweden. He was invited because he is the first in Order of Precedence of Heads of Missions, and he represented the Diplomatic Corps at the christening.
https://www.government.se/49f1e8/co...of-heads-of-missions-in-sthlm-5-july-2021.pdf

Video at Royal House's Youtube
Here is the dress that everyone is talking about right now. At Julian's baptism, Estelle wore her mother's old dress.
Many royally interested people recognized the pink fabric and the large white collar. Estelle's dress at her cousin's christening is in fact 35 years old.
Victoria got it in the summer of 1986 and used it extensively when she was nine years old - as old as her daughter Estelle is now.
Royal expert Sara Ericsson says that Victoria almost never throws away clothes. All clothes are stored and taken care of behind the palace walls and this makes it possible to easily reuse old garments. They still look like new because they are taken care of so well.
Victoria is passionate about sustainability and the environment and she herself reuses both her own clothes and Queen Silvia's old clothes.
Sara Ericsson says that it gives a strong signal about how important it is for Victoria to be a role model when it comes to sustainability. Estelle is regularly seen in her mother's childhood clothes. It is valuable for Victoria to show children and the world how important it is to be environmentally conscious.
Prinsessan Estelle bar Victorias klänning på dopet

This christening was totally different from the other christenings, highlighting perhaps that Julian isn't a HRH and member of the Royal House. The music choices very out of the ordinary.

It was strange that they had put the Speaker of the Riksdag Andreas Norlén and his wife to sit at different places. The Speaker sat with godfathers Patrick Sommerlath and Jacob Högfeldt and the Speaker's wife sat at the same pew with the Crown Princess family and Svante Lindqvist, the Clerk of the Office of the Order. Why Svante Lindqvist couldn't sit with the godfathers so that Andreas and Helena Norlén could have sat together?
Behind Victoria and her family sat Lord Chamberlain-in-Waiting and Director of the Stockholm Concert Hall Stefan Forsberg, Axel and Estelle Bodén and Therese Högfeldt, wife of godfather Jacob Högfeldt.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Gallery
Cristening Prince Julian, Stockholm 14-08-2021 - Images _ Bernard Rübsamen
I don't find the music choices that different from the christenings of Julian's brothers (though it was the first time I've heard Avici in church). The same mix between hymns and popular music. My experience also tells me that the more children a couple have the less traditional their christenings become.
Regardling the seating of the Speaker and the Chancellor it did look a bit strange, but I wonder if the reason behind it was that both of them had to get up at different times in the ceremony and to both facilitate that and to maintain social distancing while doing so they went with this solution.

Last edited:
I always love the Swedish royal christenings, they really are so picturesque but at the same time so family oriented. I always love the photos of the siblings and cousins and grandparents all interacting much as any other family does but, as a previous poster stated, these children always look so impeccably dressed. CP and Sofia's children are adorable but I have to say, I was really struck how much the middle child (Gabriel, I believe) looks so much like Oscar. And baby Julian is absolutely adorable. I have to agree with the previous poster who said he was a perfect blend of his older brothers. These three brothers are certainly a handsome bunch.

Here is the dress that everyone is talking about right now. At Julian's baptism, Estelle wore her mother's old dress.
Many royally interested people recognized the pink fabric and the large white collar. Estelle's dress at her cousin's christening is in fact 35 years old.
Victoria got it in the summer of 1986 and used it extensively when she was nine years old - as old as her daughter Estelle is now.
Royal expert Sara Ericsson says that Victoria almost never throws away clothes. All clothes are stored and taken care of behind the palace walls and this makes it possible to easily reuse old garments. They still look like new because they are taken care of so well.
Victoria is passionate about sustainability and the environment and she herself reuses both her own clothes and Queen Silvia's old clothes.
Sara Ericsson says that it gives a strong signal about how important it is for Victoria to be a role model when it comes to sustainability. Estelle is regularly seen in her mother's childhood clothes. It is valuable for Victoria to show children and the world how important it is to be environmentally conscious.
Prinsessan Estelle bar Victorias klänning på dopet

This is very interesting. I hadn't noticed that Princess Estelle was wearing an old Princess Victoria dress. :flowers:

During Julian's christening Karl XIII's crown stood at the altar. Julian shares the crown with his father and Gabriel.
At Alexander's christening Prince Fredrik Adolf's crown stood at the altar.

Svensk Damtidning about Oscar and his bow tie
Prins Oscars utseendeförändring – väcker reaktioner _*Svensk Dam

The Palace has released some more official photos today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** kungahuset instagram **

Patrick Sommerlath looks good at the photo. Time flies, Patrick isn't a young man anymore, he had his 50th birthday in January.

Princess Birgitta, Carl Philip's godmother, didn't attend the christening. Svensk Damtidning called her and Birgitta said that she doesn't want to fly right now, due to the coronavirus that is still spreading around Europe.
- None of the king's sisters were present at the christening. The reason is that we are in a pandemic and that the number of guests was therefore limited, says Margareta Thorgren.
Even though she could not be there, of course Birgitta thought a lot about her godson:
- I wish him luck with his three sons.
Därför saknades prinsessan Birgittas under Julians dop – är gudmor till Carl Philip _*Svensk Dam

The queen had a problem with her hat in the wind, and the king was a gentleman.
Drottningens hatt blåste iväg - se vilken gentleman kungen är! - GALA magasin

Unlike the other royal christenings, the court didin't make a special website about Julian's christening.
Temasidor - Sveriges Kungahus

At Svensk Damtidning:
Among the 83 names of the guests, there were also some completely new acquaintances.
One of them was the nanny who helps Sofia and Carl Philip to take care of Julian, Gabriel and Alexander, she was listed among the guests as nanny Rebecca Berg. Another was housekeeper Keria Said. The court has not provided any further information about her role at Villa Solbacken, but a housekeeper is traditionally responsible for the household and is in charge of the staff who take care of the cleaning.
Madeleine's nanny was also present. As usual, however, she kept a low profile. Although she has worked for the family from time to time since they lived in London, there is no information about her name. Her name was also missing from the official guest list.
Madeleines nanny och Sofias husfru_ Så får de hjälp med livspusslet _*Svensk Dam

Governor Brittis Benzler about the County Administrative Board of Halland County's christening gift, a playground:
- We wanted it to be something nice, good and worthy of Halland and we wanted to give something that was suitable for children. It is difficult to determine whether prince Julian was happy or not. But what I definitely know is that his older brothers were very happy. Prince Alexander and Prince Gabriel reacted very spontaneously and shone when they heard this.
The playground will be built at nature reserve Naturum Getterön. The main attraction will be a large wooden white-tailed eagle, as the theme is inspired by the rich bird life on Getterön. A diversity garden will be build in the area around the playground with seating to enrich the play area.
The construction is expected to cost between SEK one and two million. The county administrative board in Halland together with Varberg municipality finance the construction, but several companies in the county are involved and sponsor the christening gift.
Julian is now too small to appreciate the nice christening gift, but when it is ready, he can probably run around there with his brothers.
Brittis Benzler says that the idea is, of course, that the prince and his family will come to the inauguration. It will be in a couple of years, so then he has a little more insight into what it is like on a playground. Then not only his brothers, but also he gets the opportunity to try it.
Allt om prins Julians lekplats – Hallands miljongåva _*Svensk Dam

I found the program of the christening from the website of the Royal Court Parish:
Prins Julians dop 14 augusti 2021

I noticed Said was one of the people little Gabriel ran to when he got a bit bored during the ceremony, so whatever her role entails, it seems she's close to the boys.

Back
Top Bottom