Baptism of Prince Emmanuel - December 10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple_platinum

Heir Apparent
City
Jakarta
Country
Indonesia
Prince Emmanuel of Belgium will be baptized at Chapel of Ciergnon.

please post any news & pictures here...

(news from Carlota at GREMB)

The godparents will be Countess Elisabeth d'Udekem d'Acoz, and Grand-Duke Heir of Luxembourg. (source from archivesgotha)

What???!! I thought the godmother was going to be Máxima

No, Mathilde is the godmother of Maxima's daughter Alexia.

have more godparents? like from non-royals but only 2 that it!

well, at least we will see a foreign royals at the baptism (for the 1st time!).
Guillaume will make a great godfather..

sara1981 said:
have more godparents? like from non-royals but only 2 that it!

I thought it was quite normal in Catholic circles to only have two godparents. Or am I wrong? How many godparents did Gabriel have (as also not being a heir to the throne)?

purple_platinum said:
Prince Emmanuel of Belgium will be baptized at Chapel of Ciergnon.

please post any news & pictures here...

(news from Carlota at GREMB)
I wonder when/where this was announced, by the Palace? I see on the Belgian RF website that Princess Astrid already has an engagement on that day.

Maxie said:
I thought it was quite normal in Catholic circles to only have two godparents. Or am I wrong? How many godparents did Gabriel have (as also not being a heir to the throne)?

That's what I've heard too, and from members of this forum. Gabriel also had two godparents: Mathilde's brother count Charles-Henri d'Udekem d'Acoz, and baroness Maria Christina von Freyburg, who's related to Philippe.

Can't wait to see pictures from the baptism.:)

Thanks for the news. It's exciting to finally have a date for the baptism.

is it usual to announce the baptism just a few days b4 it actually take place?

cuz the danish one is around 2-3 months after his birth...the spanish one...not even announced.........any idea?

I don't recall how long in advance we knew of Prince Gabriel's christening. Emmanuelle (sorry, I know I keep hacking up the spelling) is their third child, though, and the other two you mention will be the reigning King/Queen some day so I think that may have something to do with the advance notice of the others.

Thanks for the news of the godparents. Can't wait (it's almost here!) to see new pictures of him and the rest of the family.

Do you think Princess Claire will be there?

I can't wait!!! he's soo cute. Is he already one month old? :p

bigheadshirmp said:
is it usual to announce the baptism just a few days b4 it actually take place?

cuz the danish one is around 2-3 months after his birth...the spanish one...not even announced.........any idea?

As Cathérine pointed out a few days ago in the thread "It's a boy! Emmanuel...." the baptism will be a private ceremony - a family event and not a world event so to speak. Pictures and news clips from the baptism will be released, but one photographer and one camera crew will take care of this. The baptism will not be covered by the entire press corps. Since it's a family event I guess this is the reason why the public is not informed about the baptism months in advance. If I'm way off on this then I apologize:eek:. This is just my understanding with the two previous baptisms. A Belgian member please correct me if I'm wrong.:eek::)

photofan said:
I can't wait!!! he's soo cute. Is he already one month old? :p

Emmanuel is already two months old.:) Well, actually two months and four days.;) He was born October 4th. I can't wait to see him again either, and I agree that he is soo cute.:)

Marie-Caroline said:
I wonder when/where this was announced, by the Palace? I see on the Belgian RF website that Princess Astrid already has an engagement on that day.

i don't recall Princess Astrid ever attending a belgian christening, i might be wrong, she might attended Elisabeth's since Amedeo is the princess' godfather. but yes, it is a private family baptism thus, it might not appear on the RF agenda.

Astrid (and her entire family) was present at the christening of Elisabeth and Gabriel (the Luxemburg RF was ther too), and at the baptism of Louise (daughter of Laurent & Claire).

ooo... i'm sorry Hannelore, i guess i've missed her photos.
if that's the case, then i hope she and the rest of her family, and also the king, queen, laurent & his family attend this baptism as well.
we'll have to wait & see..

Maxie said:

You are correct. All catholics I know in real life (and catholic royalty) have one godfather and one godmother. I actually prefer this way, as it actually means something (I fear the role of the godparent has some devaluation if you are 1 of 8 for example).

so we have Emmanual on the 10th Baby Denmark on the 21st of January
what about Leonor and Sevvre

Royal Fan said:
so we have Emmanual on the 10th Baby Denmark on the 21st of January
what about Leonor and Sevvre

The dates for Leonor and Sverre Magnus are not known at present time.

Although, Prince Felipe told the press at the time of Leonor's birth, that the christening would take place sometime after christmas.

As for Sverre, he is still a new born baby, the date might be announced when he's 1-2 months old. His older sister's christening took place 2 months after her birth.

fanletizia said:
Will we see the ceremony on tv?

No, once again : it's a private ceremony. We will only see a number of pictures and a short clip on tv.

I believe the royatly programs will have a longer report about it, that's how it was for the previous baptisms as well.

The prince will be baptized by cardinal Danneels (the archbishop of Brussels-Malines), in the chapel of the castle of Ciergnon.

The Belgian RF will be there, the d'Udekem d'Acoz family, prince Guillaume of Luxemburg with his family and close friends of the couple.

The boys choir Cantate Domino will sing at the baptism.

Prince Emmanuel has been baptized

Prins Emmanuel gedoopt
In de kapel van het kasteel van Ciergnon is zaterdag prins Emmanuel gedoopt, het 3-de kindje van prins Filip en prinses Mathilde. Het kasteel is het buitenverblijf van koning Albert in de Ardennen. Kardinaal Danneels diende het doopsacrament toe, net als bij prinses Elisabeth en prins Gabriel, het zusje en broertje van prins Emmanuel. De doopviering gebeurde in intieme familiekring.

Last edited:
This morning , little Prince Emmanuel has been baptized in Ciergnon .
His parents , siblings, grandparents and godmohter/godfather where there .
Princess Astrid ,Prince Laurent and Claire didn't attend the baptism .

Back
Top Bottom