Alternate History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Margaret's husband in this world was created Earl of Snowdon at their marriage, wouldn't it be likely that Margaret as a queen would have given some kind of title to her daughter's husband and their children in an alternate world? If Sarah at her marriage had been the daughter of a queen instead of a niece, it's not certain that she would have made the same choice as Anne did and not wish for a title for her husband and children.

As Margaret's husband in this world was created Earl of Snowdon at their marriage, wouldn't it be likely that Margaret as a queen would have given some kind of title to her daughter's husband and their children in an alternate world? If Sarah at her marriage had been the daughter of a queen instead of a niece, it's not certain that she would have made the same choice as Anne did and not wish for a title for her husband and children.

I think it's probably likely that if Margaret had been Queen then her daughter's husband would have been given the choice of being created an Earl - like Anne's first husband, Margaret's husband himself, and I believe Princess Alexandra's husband. I don't know if he would have accepted the title, but I think he would have been given the choice.

The point in my previous post wasn't that Sarah's husband wouldn't have been created an Earl, but that neither he nor their children would have been created royals - since the 1917 LPs, the female-line grandchildren haven't been created royals unless they were the children of the heir apparent. Anne's children, Margaret's, Princess Mary's, none were/are royal.

Louis Bonaparte was a younger brother of Emperor Napoleon I of France. Napoleon made Louis King of the Kingdom of Holland in 1806.
Suppose Napoleon had made his brother Joseph King of the Kingdom of Holland instead.

Napoleon II had to live with his mother Marie Louise in Austria after Napoleon I was exiled. While living in Austria he was known as Franz.
Suppose his grandfather Emperor Francis I of Austria allows Napoleon II to marry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Napoleon II died at the age of 21. Even if he had been allowed to marry there might not have been enough time to survey the pool of suitable choices, make a selection, and complete the necessary negotiations.

BTW- After 1816 Marie Louise lived in Parma, leaving her son behind in Austria.

One do wonder what kind of bride he could've marry.
Many of his Bonaparte cousins struggled to make royal matches so they married either each other or like in the case of Napoleon III and Mathilde married members of the aristocracy.
Another descendant of the Napoleonic nobility, the future Oscar I of Sweden-Norway was shunned by the royal courts and had to settle for a Leuchtenberg.
The Leuchtenberg themselves must be said to have made the best marriages of all the Napoleonic families with one sister marrying the aforementioned King of Sweden-Norway, one sister the Emperor of Brazil, one the Prince of Hohenzollern-Heichingen, one the Duke of Urach while the brothers married the Queen of Portugal (and his sister's stepdaughter) and the daughter of Emperor Nicholas I of Russia.
My guess is that Franz wouldn't had been allowed to marry a royal but would've been given a bride from one of the more prominent Austro-Hungarian houses.

After the Congress of Vienna, the Bonaparte clan, was seen as the upstarts they were.. NO self-respecting Royal house would have sought an alliance with them..

My guess is that Franz wouldn't had been allowed to marry a royal but would've been given a bride from one of the more prominent Austro-Hungarian houses.

I agree. If allowed to marry I think he would have been limited to what the Habsburgs would regard as a "morganatic" marriage, to someone who wasn't royal or even semi-royal (like a Leuchtenberg). This would ensure that any children would not be accepted as equal by other royal families and more easily controlled. The Habsburgs certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for creating any more trouble-making Bonapartes.

I also believe Franz would have had a very unhappy & unfulfilling life if he hadn't died at 21.

The eldest son of Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand III, Ferdinand IV (1633-1654) was granted the crowns of Bohemia and Hungary. He was crowned King of the Romans in 1653. He died in 1654.
Suppose Ferdinand IV lives numerous years past 1654. Thus in 1658 he does become Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand IV. What is his reign like?

Emperor Charles I of Austria was no longer sovereign of Austria after the First World War. He died in 1922.
Suppose he was able to relocate to Budapest, Hungary. Hungary had been allowed to remain a monarchy. Thus Charles continues to be King Charles IV. In this scenario he dies in 1942. What does he do as King of Hungary?

Emperor Charles I of Austria was no longer sovereign of Austria after the First World War. He died in 1922.
Suppose he was able to relocate to Budapest, Hungary. Hungary had been allowed to remain a monarchy. Thus Charles continues to be King Charles IV. In this scenario he dies in 1942. What does he do as King of Hungary?

Be ousted by the fascists in 1940 and died in exile somewhere. In any case this Hungarian monarchy would end in 1945, when the communists took over.

In 1908 King Carlos I of Portugal and his son and heir, Crown Prince Luis Filipe were assassinated. Suppose Carlos and Luis Filipe were not shot. Carlos remains King. How long would Portugal have remained a monarchy?

Ferdinand VI was King of Spain in 1808 and again in 1813 to 1833. His wife, Queen Maria Christina had him set aside the Salic Law. Isabella II, their daughter, became Queen Regnant in 1833.
Suppose the Salic Law had not been set aside. Ferdinand VI's brother, Infante Carlos, Count of Molina succeeds as King Charles V.

What if in 1555 there had been no Peace of Augsburg allowing each prince within the Holy Roman Empire to decide for himself and his realm between Catholicism and Lutheranism?

I think the princes would have gone their own way anyway: the Habsburgs were too overstretched to stop them. If they'd tried, and carried on fighting, the French, the Turks or both would have taken advantage and barged into the Empire. Could've been interesting!

What if the Magna Carta had not been written? How might King John of England's reign have been different?

In 1812 Napoleon invaded Russia. If Moscow had not been burnt, would Napoleon have conquered Russia? Would Napoleon have been Emperor/Tsar of Russia?
:napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon:

In 1812 Napoleon invaded Russia. If Moscow had not been burnt, would Napoleon have conquered Russia? Would Napoleon have been Emperor/Tsar of Russia?
:napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon::napoleon:
I don’t think they would have gotten very far, Russia is very cold and they did not now Russia well enough and the Russians would just use gurriella tactics on Napoleons army

I think disease (by the end French soldiers were dropping like flies) and Russia’s climate played a great part in Napoleon’s defeat. Conquering armies depend on secure supply lines, and for food, in foraging from the local countryside. As for the weather, didn’t Tsar Nicholas I remark on another later occasion when contemplating a possible invasion in the Crimean War, the devastating attrition the Russian winter wrought onNapoleon'sGrande Armee, and on the army led bySweden'sKarl XIIa century before that, he says:
"I have two generals who will not fail me: Generals January and February."​
‘So in neither of these cases did fortune favour the French forces. That alone would have prevented Napoleon from taking over the entire country.

https://www.napoleon-series.org/faq/c_russia.html

Last edited:
Many of his Bonaparte cousins struggled to make royal matches so they married either each other or like in the case of Napoleon III and Mathilde married members of the aristocracy.
Another descendant of the Napoleonic nobility, the future Oscar I of Sweden-Norway was shunned by the royal courts and had to settle for a Leuchtenberg.
The Leuchtenberg themselves must be said to have made the best marriages of all the Napoleonic families with one sister marrying the aforementioned King of Sweden-Norway, one sister the Emperor of Brazil, one the Prince of Hohenzollern-Heichingen, one the Duke of Urach while the brothers married the Queen of Portugal (and his sister's stepdaughter) and the daughter of Emperor Nicholas I of Russia.

I have a copy with the history of the royal house of Sweden from the beginning of the kingdom of Sweden:
1 Munso 2 Stenkil 3 Sverker 4 Eric 5 Bjelbo 6 Mecklenburg 7 House of Griffins 8 House of Pomerania 9 Palatinate 10 Zweibrucken 11 Hesse-Kassel
12 Holstein 13 Gottorp and finally the House of Bernadotte.
I asked you if it is the true history of the kingdom of Sweden since the beginning of the monarchy in Sweden. I've got a list here of the past & present kingdoms of Europe, true or false?????

After the Congress of Vienna, the Bonaparte clan, was seen as the upstarts they were.. NO self-respecting Royal house would have sought an alliance with them..
Yes they were upstarts, but they were at least minor nobility from Corsica unlike the Bernadottes. Some of one of the Bonaparte’s married into the Wurttemberg royal family, and many years later Prince Victor Bonaparte married Princess Clementine of Belgium.

He probably would have married into the mediatized, or comital families but none of the sovereign royal courts.

I have copies of the history of kingdoms of Europe through the centuries, very interesting to read who is who of the royal houses from past to present, today most royal houses have gone, for example Finland, Bosnia, Gaelic Ireland, Lithuania etc. etc. etc., just to name a few, I only want to know if the list that I have is genuine. Love to hear your opinions.

I have a copy with the history of the royal house of Sweden from the beginning of the kingdom of Sweden:

1 Munso 2 Stenkil 3 Sverker 4 Eric 5 Bjelbo 6 Mecklenburg 7 House of Griffins 8 House of Pomerania 9 Palatinate 10 Zweibrucken 11 Hesse-Kassel

12 Holstein 13 Gottorp and finally the House of Bernadotte.

I asked you if it is the true history of the kingdom of Sweden since the beginning of the monarchy in Sweden. I've got a list here of the past & present kingdoms of Europe, true or false?????

The list is almost correct:
1. Erik Segersälls ätt/Gamla kungaätten (the old royal house)/Munsöätten
2. Stenkilska ätten
3. Sverkerska ätten
4. Erikska ätten
5. Bjälboätten
6. House of Mecklenburg
7. Estridska ätten
8. House of Pommern (The House of Griffins was the ruling house of Pomerania)
9. Bondeätten
10. House of Wittelsbach
11. House of Oldenburg
12. House of Vasa
13. House of Pfalz-Zweibrucken
14. House of Hessen
15. House of Holstein-Gottorp
16. House of Bernadotte

Royal historic facts.

The list is almost correct:
1. Erik Segersälls ätt/Gamla kungaätten (the old royal house)/Munsöätten
2. Stenkilska ätten
3. Sverkerska ätten
4. Erikska ätten
5. Bjälboätten
6. House of Mecklenburg
7. Estridska ätten
8. House of Pommern (The House of Griffins was the ruling house of Pomerania)
9. Bondeätten
10. House of Wittelsbach
11. House of Oldenburg
12. House of Vasa
13. House of Pfalz-Zweibrucken
14. House of Hessen
15. House of Holstein-Gottorp
16. House of Bernadotte

Thanks, I knew there were a few Houses missing of the past. Keep in touch!

What if King Henry VIII of England's son Prince Henry, Duke of Cornwall had lived?

What if King Henry VIII of England's son Prince Henry, Duke of Cornwall had lived?

Had he lived as the 1st born son of Henry and Catherine he would have been Henry IX of England :previous:

Depends if he lived long enough to inherit the trhone. A lot of children died and young people, as well. Henry VIII was a tough old bird.

Had he lived as the 1st born son of Henry and Catherine he would have been Henry IX of England :previous:

Obviously assuming that he would had lived long enough to becoming king.

But there is other intresting affects. Henry VIII wouldn't ask pope to annul his marriage with Catherine of Aragon since him would has male heir. This means no Anglican Church and England would be officially Catholic if not to this date at least much longer.

Mary (in ours world queen Mary the Bloody) would be married to Spain or Austria.

Henry IX probably would marry French princess.

r Austria.

Henry IX probably would marry French princess.

Renee de France could have been a candidate as the younger daughter of Louis XII.
Her older sister Claude would not have been an option.

King William I of England was succeeded by his third son as King William II in 1087.
What if King William I's eldest son Duke Robert II of Normandy had succeeded to the English throne as King Robert I?

King William I of England was succeeded by his third son as King William II in 1087.
What if King William I's eldest son Duke Robert II of Normandy had succeeded to the English throne as King Robert I?

William divided his territories between his 2 eldest sons ,probably to avert a civil war.
At the time of William's death there was bad blood between the king and his 2 sons!

Robert was made Duke of Normandy
William Rufus was made King of England.

236px-Robert_normandie.jpg

Even putting aside the bad blood, I tend to believe that the Norman Kings felt that their territories on the Continent were as important, if not more so, than being the King of England. Certainly Normandy came into that category and so it was given to the eldest son. So Robert would not necessarily have regarded it as a promotion to be given England in preference to Normandy. And dividing territory between the brothers was a wise move.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom