The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also think that it was important that it be made clear for all concerned that Harry will not be representing either the Crown or the British government in Nigeria. The British Ambassador to Nigeria actually clarified that in a statement yesterday.

I'd imagine it's still important that it's clear Harry's not being endorsed by the RF or going back into the fold anytime soon. Despite having a few fans here and there, he's still deeply unpopular for obvious reasons and nobody wants their King to be seen as forgiving anyone who's been disrespectful to the institution and even the country and the culture.

Well said! Private conversations and visits are one thing, but this sort of visit is another situation entirely.

I'm just breathing a huge sigh of relief that no one else from the BRF was there. Can you imagine if they had been on the next Netflix documentary? It doesn't bear thinking about.

It's so disrespectful to put your family in such a difficult position, not to mention those bound to criticise the non-attendance of the BRF to support the veterans, but they had no choice.

As we do not know all of the circumstances or private conversations possibly doing nothing was the best solution . There are times in life when doing nothing is better than the awkwardness, stress , or hurt of doing something for the sake of being seen to do the 'right thing' for the sake of other people. Charles is not the only one in the whole saga who has declined invitations or failed to offer invites.
Nobody in this whole saga is all sweetness and light, maybe the best way forward is to stop feeding the ' beast' ( publicity)

That's why the King is very wise to keep any interaction with PH on a strictly private basis and keep that beast hungry. The King is getting on with the day job (despite his serious illness) and not being distracted by PH, the media or anyone who's desperate to see them reunite in public.

My belief is that the King has made many invitations to PH on a private basis, and HLMTQ also. Probably the only condition is to keep it private. That's unacceptable to the publicity-hungry MM of course!

I also think that it was important that it be made clear for all concerned that Harry will not be representing either the Crown or the British government in Nigeria. The British Ambassador to Nigeria actually clarified that in a statement yesterday.
It was essential IMO.

I'd imagine it's still important that it's clear Harry's not being endorsed by the RF or going back into the fold anytime soon. Despite having a few fans here and there, he's still deeply unpopular for obvious reasons and nobody wants their King to be seen as forgiving anyone who's been disrespectful to the institution and even the country and the culture.
And the people

And the people

Yep. PH couldn't care less about us either, unless we are useful to him, like the "fans" he met last night. He's been moulded into a "celebrity" and thus conditioned to forget any understanding of duty, loyalty and hard work. Now it's all about optics.

I find this tabloid-fed story about who will be visiting Invictus rather bizarre. The prince has broken relations with most of his family and he has betrayed their trust several times over during an extended period by selling out private details of them for financial gain. Grave accusations were made. As far as we know no steps have been taken to work on some kind of reconciliation. If there were to be any steps made in that direction it will most effectively be done in private. Not at an event with I don't know how many photo cameras there.

The absence of a private meeting between the King and his son indicates however that the time is not ripe yet for such a reconsiliation, and who knows if it ever can. I agree with posters that had the King trusted his son enough to meet him, a private meeting would probably have taken place.

In addition I fail to see why other relatives needed to be at this event at all, even if the relationship had been well. Members of the RF have lots of unique events each year, nearly none of those events will be attended by other royals. And if family support is so vital, would his wife, the Duchess of Sussex, not be the first and foremost candidate we could have expected to attend? She has stayed in California.

And finally, just imagine the King of the PoW going there, while the whole world & gathered press knows that the relationship between them and the Duke is frosty. It would have turned the event into a circus, which is the last thing anybody needs. It would have overshadowed the whole event. The tabloids would have been happy for sure, but the whole purpose of the gathering would be forgotten.

Last edited:
t was good to see Harry back in the UK. Ignoring that his own father did nothing to show any sort of caring on his return, it was good to see relatives at the Invictus service at St Paul's, namely his Spencer uncle and aunt. His mother's brother and sister offering their love and support. It was also great to see Harry interacting with crowds gathered around St Paul's. And he dined with a friend the evening before. So, that at least has been something.

Oh i laugh because, let's face it, for Harry and die hard fans like yourself, it's a win win situation.

It would be far more difficult to stomach some kind of olive branch from the BRF as diabolising them is part of the Sussexes brand DNA from the very start. I't s really far more easier and cosy to depict yourself as the lonesome victim of the system (sounds familiar hey).

So yes i think Harry (and you by extension) are enjoying this situation very very much because it's just feeding the Sussexes narrative.

The BRF perfectly knows that and doesn't want to be used on any sort in this obvious stunt calibrated for whatever future Netflix project.

Considering the King's health, i leave to your appreciation (and your notorious disliking of Charles and Camilla) who, from the father or the son, has to be caring at this point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom