Queen Isabel II and King Francisco I de Assis

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Francisco de Asis de Borbon was nicknamed Paquita Custard.

Francisco de Asis de Borbon was nicknamed Paquita Custard.

That was interesting. It did remind me of how everyone always just glosses over the current family being descended from only Isobel II and not her husband. ?

Francisco seemed to lead a peaceful, contented life in his last few decades. Good for him.

Francisco seemed to lead a peaceful, contented life in his last few decades. Good for him.

Post separation and exile the deposed monarch and Duke of Cádiz actually got on much better ,he also never returned to Spain and died in France on April 17th, 1902!

Following the Glorious Revolution of 1868 and deposition of Isabella II the interim government began to sell off items from the Spanish Crown Jewels.
Prim%2C_Serrano_%26_Topete_Subasta_Corona%2C_La_Flaca_%281869%29.JPG

That was interesting. It did remind me of how everyone always just glosses over the current family being descended from only Isobel II and not her husband. ?

None of her children had any paternal Bourbon blood but later on her son, grandson and great grandson married a Habsburg, a Wettin (Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) and a Bourbon-Two Sicilies to bring back a heavy dosage of sovereign royal blood into king Juan Carlos' DNA as well as his relatives DNA.

That's why I have mixed feelings about the Duc of Anjou's claims as the legitimate heir to the Bourbon France branch since he has less Salic tradition ties than his House of Orleans rival branch.

Interesting thing to note if the prejudice and ridicule both Isabel II and her husband Fransisco endured to this day. Had she been a man, a king, all these affairs would be written by history as romantic anecdotes about 'true love' etc. But because she was a woman who didn't resist a good-looking man, she is vilified like other monarchs in the past from Cleopatra and Catherine the Great.

Queen Isabel should have married one of the strong-minded Orleans princes, like her sister did, and history would have been quite different for my country back in the 18th Century. Her sister and her husband were more fit to rule Spain than Isabel and their Bourbon-Two Sicilies cousin to a point they even plotted to take over a South American country and turn it into the Borbon-Orleans Kingdom of Ecuador. Now that's having guts.

Or, she could have married the Borbon Carlist pretender and join the two rival branches again, this would have also changed many events that affected Spain in the 19th Century, too.

I hope her descendant, the Princess of Asturias, have better luck than Queen Isabel when her time arrives to choose a spouse. He would not only marry her, but he will marry Spain too.

Last edited:
None of her children had any paternal Bourbon blood but later on her son, grandson and great grandson married a Habsburg, a Wettin (Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) and a Bourbon-Two Sicilies to bring back a heavy dosage of sovereign royal blood into king Juan Carlos' DNA as well as his relatives DNA.

That's why I have mixed feelings about the Duc of Anjou's claims as the legitimate heir to the Bourbon France branch since he has less Salic tradition ties than his House of Orleans rival branch.

Interesting thing to note if the prejudice and ridicule both Isabel II and her husband Fransisco endured to this day. Had she been a man, a king, all these affairs would be written by history as romantic anecdotes about 'true love' etc. But because she was a woman who didn't resist a good-looking man, she is vilified like other monarchs in the past from Cleopatra and Catherine the Great.
The children of Isabella II and Don Francisco's paternal paternity has been questioned by historians but I don't think that anything has been proven and more assumed than factual.

The children of Isabella II and Don Francisco's paternal paternity has been questioned by historians but I don't think that anything has been proven and more assumed than factual.
I don't think any current or deposed royal family would take a DNA test and make results public. It will ruin most of the extensive work in history books like the Romanovs (from whom King Felipe descends via his mother Queen Sofia) publicly admitting that branch ended with Peter III since his son Czar Paul I, was from an emergency donor to produce a child.

I think Isabel's surviving children knew whom their fathers were, like her daughter Infanta María de la Paz of Spain, who married she married Prince Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria. She took care until his dead of her elderly father, diplomat and politician Miguel Tenorio de Castilla (1818–1916), and he also left her all his possessions upon his passing.

I don't think any current or deposed royal family would take a DNA test and make results public. It will ruin most of the extensive work in history books like the Romanovs (from whom King Felipe descends via his mother Queen Sofia) publicly admitting that branch ended with Peter III since his son Czar Paul I, was from an emergency donor to produce a child.

I think Isabel's surviving children knew whom their fathers were, like her daughter Infanta María de la Paz of Spain, who married she married Prince Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria. She took care until his dead of her elderly father, diplomat and politician Miguel Tenorio de Castilla (1818–1916), and he also left her all his possessions upon his passing.
Nor do I but was just pointing out that all though its widely rumoured not has infact been proven ;)

Queen Isabel should have married one of the strong-minded Orleans princes, like her sister did, and history would have been quite different for my country back in the 18th Century. Her sister and her husband were more fit to rule Spain than Isabel and their Bourbon-Two Sicilies cousin to a point they even plotted to take over a South American country and turn it into the Borbon-Orleans Kingdom of Ecuador. Now that's having guts.

Or, she could have married the Borbon Carlist pretender and join the two rival branches again, this would have also changed many events that affected Spain in the 19th Century, too.

I hope her descendant, the Princess of Asturias, have better luck than Queen Isabel when her time arrives to choose a spouse. He would not only marry her, but he will marry Spain too.
But the Orleans family in France were a problem, they kept on inserting themselves in the succession matters. I think it would have been better if they had arranged a marriage with a Carlist claimant instead of the Orleans, because the main branch in France were not that great in strategic matters. I don’t think anyone would say that if she were a man all the affairs would be considered romantic because affairs typically would be a discreet thing, and as long as they had children with each other before having affairs no one would be disputing paternity. Which great-grandson married a wettin? Are you talking about Queen Victoria? She’s not a Wettin, she’s a Battenberg, a dynasty of morganatic marriage which was why Queen Maria Christina questioned her sons choice.

But the Orleans family in France were a problem, they kept on inserting themselves in the succession matters. I think it would have been better if they had arranged a marriage with a Carlist claimant instead of the Orleans, because the main branch in France were not that great in strategic matters. I don’t think anyone would say that if she were a man all the affairs would be considered romantic because affairs typically would be a discreet thing, and as long as they had children with each other before having affairs no one would be disputing paternity. Which great-grandson married a wettin? Are you talking about Queen Victoria? She’s not a Wettin, she’s a Battenberg, a dynasty of morganatic marriage which was why Queen Maria Christina questioned her sons choice.
The House Orleans was the ruling family in France when Queen Isabel II was in Spain as a child and adult. I assume they wanted to extend their dynastic influence, which they did in Brazil via marriage to the Braganza crown princess. They were 100% Bourbons since they only took the name Orleans when Louis XIV gave these titles to his younger brother Prince Philippe, who became the new Duke of Orléans.

Queen Victoria of the UK married a Saxe-Coburg and Gotha prince whose family was a line descended from the House of Wettin.

Think of the ancient House Capet and the branches Valois, Bourbon, Orleans, etc. In modern times house name changes but it's all a direct line to the primary branch. For the Battenbergs is Wettin, for the Valois, Bourbon, Orleans, Orleans-Braganza, Orleans-Bourbon etc. is all House Capet.

And in Spain, The Bourbons, Habsburgs and Trastamara are all modern branches of the initial House of Burgundy that rules Asturias when the wars to unify Spain started. Names change, especially with these people that didn't use surnames, but the lines are direct and spans hundreds of years for all three Capet, Wettin and Burgundy families

Back
Top Bottom