Princess Theodora of Greece and Matthew Kumar - 28 Sept. 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really love her dress! So pretty and elegant.
I wonder if the piece that wraps around the bodice is removable and the dress is strapless underneath?
That would be a genius design to go from church to reception !
Now that would make sense! I really disliked that bib piece. Even on a girl as tall as Theodora, it overwhelmed her.

I thought Queen Anne-Marie's dress was very pretty, too. It made me smile, though -- the pattern (not the style) reminded me of that meme a few years ago where people argued over whether the dress was blue and white or brown and gold.

The Dutch are not really close relatives of any of the other extant or recently deposed royal houses as there hasn’t been any intermarriage between them and the Oranges for quite some time.

However, Willem-Alexander, Maxima, and now Amalia are known to enjoy parties and social gatherings (sorry, I couldn't help), so they frequently show up even at minor foreign royal events.

I would be suprised either if they were not invited, knowing that the Greeks also like to ascertain their status among the other royal houses.

I've always had the impression that Queen Beatrix went out of her way to strengthen ties with the other royal houses. Even as a queen regnant, she attended everyone else's big events.

And what could be the reason for Prince Joachim and Princess Marie not attending Theodora's wedding?
The 10-hour flight from Washington to Athens could be one reason. That's not so easy to do for a weekend.

Really love her dress! So pretty and elegant.
I wonder if the piece that wraps around the bodice is removable and the dress is strapless underneath?
That would be a genius design to go from church to reception !
I believe yes. The upper bodice is removable for after church. When Theo was leaving the cathedral the upper bodice had started to slip down and bits of the sheath underneath were visible.
Tbh I would have liked the dress much better if the upper part had been designed differently.
But Theo looked very beautiful. And I LOVED the floating effect of the hemline and train when the bride was walking.

I believe yes. The upper bodice is removable for after church. When Theo was leaving the cathedral the upper bodice had started to slip down and bits of the sheath underneath were visible.
Tbh I would have liked the dress much better if the upper part had been designed differently.
But Theo looked very beautiful. And I LOVED the floating effect of the hemline and train when the bride was walking.
I noticed that the upper bodice had moved too.
She looked gorgeous and very happy and that's the most important thing!

I have noticed that Felipe doesn't prioritize foreign social gatherings unless it's perhaps a funeral.
Whether it's by preference or because he feels constrained by the possibility of criticism in the press in Spain he just doesn't seem to do "fun" Royal occasions abroad and neither does Letizia.🙁
I wonder if king Felipe has imposed himself such severe approach or it was a small "suggestion" made in the past by one of his prime ministers....

The moment of cutting the wedding cake:

The moment of cutting the wedding cake:
So she removed the tiara at some point

Or maybe he has decided not to go to any , that way everybody is treated the same. No enquiry as to why he has not attended.
But he has been to some when the took place in Madrid ,like the recent Lopez Quesada Wedding.

But he has been to some when the took place in Madrid ,like the recent Lopez Quesada Wedding.
Or possibly he decided not to travel out of the country for weddings, or if his mother was there he saw that as sufficient.
IMO the Royals of all countries have a different attitude towards invitations, I think we the observers become hung up on who is invited, who turns up, when we have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes.
I also do not think they take offence like we appear to do on their behalf if somebody declines an invitation.
IMO we also need to take in to account which members of royal families across the world become genuine friends not just distantly connected by blood.
I would not necessarily be invited to weddings of my distant cousins , regardless of whether my late parents were at their parents weddings, simply because I very rarely see them.

The bride was his goddaughter, and King Felipe has attended the weddings of all his godchildren that were celebrated in Spain.

The bride was his goddaughter, and King Felipe has attended the weddings of all his godchildren that were celebrated in Spain.
And Theodora is his cousin. If me cousin would marry if would attened in every case if i'm invited which i'm sure King Felipe was.

I wonder if king Felipe has imposed himself such severe approach or it was a small "suggestion" made in the past by one of his prime ministers....
I would blame it more on Letizia than on the prime minister. I don't think she gets along with either Felipe's sisters or his Greek relatives. And her relationship with Queen Sofia is, at this point, merely diplomatic to say the least.

And Theodora is his cousin. If me cousin would marry if would attened in every case if i'm invited which i'm sure King Felipe was.

But I don't think that you are the Head of State and that security, political and agenda considerations have to be taken into account.

The relationship between the Greek Royal Family and the Greek State is not without its frictions. Celebrating a wedding in the cathedral of Athens is already something public enough to force the State to intervene because there are Heads of State from other countries among the guests.

The relationship between the Greek Royal Family and the Greek State is not without its frictions. Celebrating a wedding in the cathedral of Athens is already something public enough to force the State to intervene because there are Heads of State from other countries among the guests.
There was more friction last year at the funeral of King Constantine which did not hinder the spanish King and lots of other heads of State to attend it.

I couldn't see the sheath underneath the bib, but I did see rose petals that were stuck in her neckline. Anne-Marie brushed them off of Theodora at the church.

But I don't think that you are the Head of State and that security, political and agenda considerations have to be taken into account.

I understand the point about the Greek State having to get involved because of security concerns if heads of state were in attendance.

Diplomatically speaking, however, I believe there could be some eyebrows raised if someone like King Charles III (Theodora's second cousin once removed) or the Prince of Wales (her third cousin) attended the wedding as that could be interpreted as endorsing or legitimizing the deposed Greek royal family (although I personally disagree). However, in the case of Felipe VI, being Theodora's first cousin, his attendance could easily be explained as a private family affair causing no incident with the Greek government.

I would blame it more on Letizia than on the prime minister. I don't think she gets along with either Felipe's sisters or his Greek relatives. And her relationship with Queen Sofia is, at this point, merely diplomatic to say the least.
That's farfetched. Felipe is a grown-a** adult and he chose to not attend, it's his decision. Even if the absence is Letizia's preference/suggestion, Felipe agreed it.

Funny to see Letizia always being blamed for Felipe's action especially when it related to his own family, like he's a person with zero points of view and judgement. Always the wife's fault huh?

So many reasons there wasn’t a contingency of (ruling) royals in attendance to the wedding. Four years ago in May 2020 it might have been different. But Covid happened and King Constantine passed away.

And now this:
As mentioned on "Royal Musings" by Marlene Eilers Koenig.

"A Black Cloud hovers over Matthew Kumar as he prepares for his wedding."

Essentially he comingled client funds with his own and was given ample time to be compliant with the law.

Call me mean or overly suspicious, but I can't warm up to Matthew Kumar. That big grin, always, and the IMO excessive enthusiasm at the wedding he showed. I found that a bit strange , after being in a relationship for 8 years. He acted as somone who had finally hit the jackpot.
Does anyone know more of his family? I saw one picture and it seemed that many family members attended the wedding.
However, I dearly hope for Theodora that she will have a happy and long lasting marriage.

Call me mean or overly suspicious, but I can't warm up to Matthew Kumar. That big grin, always, and the IMO excessive enthusiasm at the wedding he showed. I found that a bit strange , after being in a relationship for 8 years. He acted as somone who had finally hit the jackpot.
Does anyone know more of his family? I saw one picture and it seemed that many family members attended the wedding.
However, I dearly hope for Theodora that she will have a happy and long lasting marriage.

I noticed how much Matthew loved the media attention he got, especially when he entered the church. He posed and posed ...

I saw many members of his family at wedding. Is he of Indian origin? At least the lady i saw (presume his mother) seem so, the gentleman also. Other people also seem to be his siblings and a young boy his nefew ?
He seems to be a gentle person, furthermore his legal issues are not an agreable situation.
It is true he showed high enthusiasm... but this can be explained because after 2 postponing.... be married finally is a great relief..

I noticed in the overhead shot posted above that Queen Ann Marie sat with Pavlos and Marie Chantal. Behind them Queen Sofía, Benedikte, Nikolais, Phillipos and then Constantine Alexios and Achilles Andreas.

Does anyone know why Princess Alexia was not seated with her siblings behind her mother? Surely she should have a place of honor alongside her brothers rather than the sons of Pavlos?

Somewhere I read that he is half Indian heritage, the name "Kumar" is Indian. But that is not really significant since there are so many people in the USA of different heritage. And yes, finally been married is a great relief. So maybe that is the reason why they both are so happy.
Hopefully he gets his legal issues solved, because I think that he might be the sole supporter in that marriage.
We haven't heard anything about Theodora's acting career recently. She might be without any personal income, unless she gets financial support from her family?

I am not getting the fuss about Felipe's non-attendance. Queen Emeritus Sofia's side of the family was well represented by Sofia herself, her two daughters and some of their children.

There was no representation by the Danish Royal Family, which I am not that fussed about, so no one in the DRF chose to attend, or only Margrethe was going to attend and then could not due to her injury.

P.S.
I suppose that Benedikte could be counted as a DRF representative, doing double duty as representing her own branch and the DRF.

A few things —

Why do people feel the need to rain on Theodora’s parade? She and Matthew seem to be very happy and committed to each other.

Yes, Matthew did make a professional mistake. That doesn’t mean he is a horrible human being.

I have to believe that the Greek RF vetted him when they first started to get serious. From the photos it looks as if the Greek RF loves and accepts him.

Finally, the absence of the Danes is going a bit too far. First, Benedickte was there! She’s Danish even though her late husband was German. And, how is anyone to assume that Margrethe wouldn’t have attended if she hadn’t fallen just last week.

Mary and Frederik have full calendars and Joachim and Marie live in Washington DC.

Just stop the endless criticism and let Theodora and Matthew enjoy their day!

A few things —

Why do people feel the need to rain on Theodora’s parade? She and Matthew seem to be very happy and committed to each other.

Yes, Matthew did make a professional mistake. That doesn’t mean he is a horrible human being.

I have to believe that the Greek RF vetted him when they first started to get serious. From the photos it looks as if the Greek RF loves and accepts him.

Finally, the absence of the Danes is going a bit too far. First, Benedickte was there! She’s Danish even though her late husband was German. And, how is anyone to assume that Margrethe wouldn’t have attended if she hadn’t fallen just last week.

Mary and Frederik have full calendars and Joachim and Marie live in Washington DC.

Just stop the endless criticism and let Theodora and Matthew enjoy their day!
Couldn't said it better myself👏👏

Back
Top Bottom