Other Royal Pantheons of Spain (of the monarchs of Asturias, Leon, Castile, Aragon, Navarre and Others)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
There are several places where the monarchs of the ancient kingdoms of Spain were buried.

Pantheon of the Kings of Asturias:
The Pantheon of Kings of the Cathedral of Oviedo is located inside the chapel of Our Lady of the Chaste King of the Cathedral of San Salvador de Oviedo, which is located on the north side of the transept, and numerous members of the Asturian-Leonese royalty were buried there during the High Middle Ages.

The members of the Asturian-Leonese royalty who are currently buried in the baroque urns of the pantheon of kings, according to various historians, are the following:
  • Fruela I of Asturias (722-768), son of Alfonso I of Asturias and Queen Ermesinda.
  • Bermudo I of Asturias (d. 797), successor of King Mauregato of Asturias.
  • Alfonso II of Asturias (c.760-842), son of Fruela I and Munia of Álava.
  • Ramiro I of Asturias (c.790-850), cousin and successor of the former and son of Bermudo I.
  • Ordoño I of Asturias (821-866), son and successor of Ramiro I.
  • Alfonso III of Asturias (c.852-910), son of the former and Queen Nuña.
  • García I of León (c.870-914), son of the former and Queen Jimena of Asturias.
  • Fruela II of León (c.875-925), brother of the former and son of Alfonso III.
  • Munia of Álava (d. after 768), wife of King Fruela I of Asturias and mother of Alfonso II of Asturias.
  • Berta, wife of King Alfonso II.
  • Nuña, wife of Ordoño I of Asturias and mother of Alfonso III.
  • Urraca, wife of Ramiro I and mother of Ordoño I.
  • Jimena of Asturias (d. 912), wife of Alfonso III and mother of Kings García I, Ordoño II and Fruela II of León.
  • Elvira Menéndez (d. 921), wife of Ordoño II and mother of Alfonso IV and Ramiro II of León.
  • Nunilo Jimena, wife of Fruela II of León.
  • Urraca Sánchez (d. 956), wife of Ramiro II and mother of Sancho I of León.
  • Teresa Ansúrez (d. 997), wife of Sancho I of León and mother of Ramiro III of León.
Source: Panteón de reyes de la Catedral de Oviedo - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Photos:

Pantheon of the Kings of Leon:
The pantheon of the kings of León, which is located at the foot of the Basilica of San Isidoro de León, is the place where most of the kings and queens of the kingdom of León were buried during the Middle Ages.

There are several stone tombs in it, in which the remains of various kings of León were deposited, as well as some members of the Leonese royal family. The royal persons buried here were:
  • Alfonso IV of León (d. 933). Son of Ordoño II of León and nephew of Fruela II of León.
  • Ramiro II of León (900-951). Younger son of Ordoño II of León and brother of Alfonso IV of León.
  • Ordoño III of León (926-956). Son and successor of Ramiro II of León.
  • Ordoño IV of León (924-960). Son of Alfonso IV of León and cousin of Sancho I of León.
  • Sancho I of León (935-966). Son of Ramiro II of León.
  • Ramiro III of León (961-984). Son and successor of Sancho I of León.
  • Bermudo II of León (956-999). Son of Ordoño III of León.
  • Alfonso V of León (994-1028). Son and successor of Bermudo II of León.
  • Bermudo III of León (1016-1037). Son and successor of Alfonso V of León.
  • Sancho Garcés III, King of Navarre (990-1035). Father of Ferdinand I of León.a
  • Ferdinand I, King of León by his marriage to Queen Sancha of León (1016-1065). Son of Sancho Garcés III, King of Pamplona.
  • García of Galicia, (1042-1090). King of Galicia. Son of Ferdinand I of León.
  • Urraca I of León, (1081-1126). Daughter and successor of Alfonso VI of León.
  • Sancha of León (1013-1067), queen (with potestas inherited from her brother Bermudo III of León). Daughter of Alfonso V of León and wife of Fernando I of León.
  • Onneca Sánchez of Pamplona (d. 931), daughter of Sancho Garcés I of Pamplona and wife of Alfonso IV of León.
  • Sancha Gómez (d. 983), daughter of Count Gómez Díaz, wife of King Ramiro III of León.
  • Elvira García (d. 1027), daughter of Count García Fernández, wife of Bermudo II of León and mother of Alfonso V of León.
  • Elvira Menéndez (d. 1022), wife of Alfonso V of León and mother of Bermudo III of León.
  • Jimena Sánchez (1012-1063), daughter of Sancho Garcés III and wife of Bermudo III of León.
  • Zaida, wife of Alfonso VI of León.
  • Urraca of Portugal (1148-1188), daughter of Alfonso I of Portugal, wife of Ferdinand II of León and mother of Alfonso IX of León.
  • Teresa Fernández de Traba (d. 1180), second wife of Ferdinand II of León and daughter of Count Fernando Pérez de Traba.
  • Urraca de Zamora (1033-1101), Infanta of León and Lady of Zamora. Daughter of Ferdinand I of León and Sancha of León.
  • Elvira de Toro (1039-1099), Infanta of León and Lady of Toro. Daughter of Ferdinand I of León and Sancha of León.
  • Sancha Raimúndez (1102-1159), daughter of Urraca I of León and Raimundo of Burgundy and sister of Alfonso VII of León.
  • Estefanía Alfonso la Desdichada (1151-1180), illegitimate daughter of Alfonso VII of León and Urraca Fernández de Castro.
  • Fernando de León (1178-1187), son of King Ferdinand II of León and Teresa Fernández de Traba.
  • García Fernández de León (1180-1184), son of King Ferdinand II of León and Urraca López de Haro.
  • Eleanor of Leon (1198-1202), daughter of King Alfonso IX of Leon and Queen Berenguela of Castile.
  • Maria of Castile (1235-1235), daughter of Ferdinand III of Castile and Queen Beatrice of Swabia.
Source: Panteón de reyes de San Isidoro de León - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Photos:

Royal crypts of the Crown of Castile:
In the Monastery of San Salvador de Oña, located in the province of Burgos, several Counts of Castile are buried, a territory that was elevated to the dignity of a kingdom. In this religious complex, in fact, rests the first king of Castile, Sancho II, son of Fernando I and Sancha I of León, along with other princes.

Photos:

Royal Pantheon of Las Huelgas in Burgos:
Alfonso VIII of Castile, who has gone down in history as the one from La Navas, and Queen Leonor founded the Monastery of Las Huelgas Reales in the city of Burgos in 1187. A total of 30 royal bodies rest in this pantheon, accompanied by a multitude of knights who fought in the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa. María Ana de Austria, daughter of Juan de Austria and granddaughter of Carlos V, was the last person to be buried in Las Huelgas, in the 17th century.
Royal persons buried in the monastery:
  • Ferdinand de la Cerda, son of Alfonso X the Wise and Violante of Aragon. (1255-1275)
  • Henry I of Castile, son of Alfonso VIII of Castile and Eleanor of Plantagenet. (1204-1217)
  • Sancho of Castile, son of Alfonso VIII of Castile. (1181-1181)
  • Ferdinand of Castile, son of Alfonso VIII of Castile. (1189-1211)
  • Ferdinand, illegitimate son of Alfonso X the Wise.
  • Manuel of Castile, son of Ferdinand III of Castile and Queen Beatrice of Swabia and father of Don Juan Manuel. (1234-1283)
  • Ferdinand, son of Sancho VI of Navarre. (d. 1208)
  • Alfonso de la Cerda, grandson of Alfonso X of Castile. (1270–1333)
  • Sancho of Castile, son of Ferdinand III. (1233–1261)
  • Philip of Castile, son of Sancho IV of Castile and Queen Maria de Molina. (1292–1327)
  • Sancho Alfonso of Castile, illegitimate son of Alfonso XI of Castile. (1331–1343)
  • Pedro of Castile, son of Sancho IV and Queen Maria de Molina, (1290–1319)
  • Mafalda of Castile, daughter of Alfonso VIII of Castile. (1191–1204)
  • Blanche of Portugal, daughter of Alfonso III of Portugal and granddaughter of Alfonso X the Wise. (1259-1321)
  • Berenguela of Castile, Infanta, daughter of Ferdinand III and Queen Beatrice of Swabia. (1228-1279)
  • Margaret of Savoy, Duchess of Mantua. (1589-1655)
  • Alfonso VIII of Castile, son of Sancho III of Castile. (1155-1214)
  • Eleanor of Plantagenet, wife of Alfonso VIII of Castile and daughter of Henry II of England. (1162-1214) and Eleanor of Aquitaine (1124-1204).
  • Berenguela of Castile, wife of Alfonso IX of Leon and mother of Ferdinand III the Saint. (1180-1246)
  • Mary Anne of Austria, daughter of Don Juan of Austria and granddaughter of Charles I of Spain. Abbess of the Monastery.
  • Constance of Castile, daughter of Alfonso VIII of Castile. (c. 1195-1243)
  • Constance of Leon, daughter of King Alfonso IX of Leon. (1200-1242)
  • Blanca of Castile, daughter of Prince Pedro of Castile and granddaughter of Sancho IV the Brave. (d. 1375)
  • Mary of Aragon, daughter of James II of Aragon, and wife of Prince Pedro of Castile. (1299-1347)
  • Constance of Castile, daughter of Alfonso X the Wise and Queen Violante of Aragon. (1259-1280)
  • Isabel Alfonso de Molina, granddaughter of Prince Alfonso de Molina and great-granddaughter of Alfonso IX of Leon. (d. 1292)
  • Eleanor of Castile, daughter of Ferdinand IV of Castile and wife of Alfonso IV of Aragon. (1307-1359)
  • María de Almenara (d. 1196), daughter of Count Ermengol VI of Urgel and Elvira Rodríguez de Lara, and great-granddaughter of Alfonso VI of León.
  • María de Aragón, illegitimate daughter of Ferdinand the Catholic, king of Aragon. (d. 1543).
Source: Monasterio de las Huelgas (Burgos) - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Photos:

Royal Chapel of the Cathedral of Seville:
The Royal Chapel of the Cathedral of Seville is located at the head of the cathedral of Seville, and in it are buried, among other members of royalty, the monarchs Fernando III of Castile, Alfonso X of Castile and Pedro I of Castile.
Royals buried in the Royal Chapel:
  • Ferdinand III the Saint (1201-1252), King of Castile and León and son of Alfonso IX of León and Berenguela of Castile.
  • Beatrice of Swabia (1198-1235), wife of the previous and queen consort of Castile and León.
  • Alfonso X of Castile (1221-1284), King of Castile and León and son of the previous.
  • Pedro I of Castile (1334-1369), King of Castile and León and son of Alfonso XI of Castile and Maria of Portugal.
  • María de Padilla (c. 1334-1361), wife of the previous and queen consort of Castile and León.
  • Alfonso of Castile (1359-1362), son of Peter I of Castile and Maria of Padilla.
  • Juan de Castilla (1355-1405), son of Pedro I of Castile and Juana de Castro.
  • Fadrique Alfonso de Castilla (1333-1358). Illegitimate son of Alfonso XI of Castile and his lover Leonor de Guzmán. He was a master of the Order of Santiago and chief governor of the Andalusian frontier.
Source: Capilla Real de la catedral de Sevilla - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Photos:

Chapels of the Old and New Kings in the Cathedral of Toledo:
The Chapel of the Old Kings is a chapel located inside the Toledo Cathedral.
Before his death, King Sancho IV had founded a chapel in the Toledo Cathedral, to be buried in it. It was called the Chapel of Santa Cruz, and once completed, in 1289, the King ordered the transfer of the remains of Kings Alfonso VII "the Emperor", Sancho III "the Desired" and Sancho II of Portugal, who were buried in the Chapel of the Holy Spirit of the cathedral.

Monarchs buried in the chapel:
  • Alfonso VII the Emperor, (Caldas de Reyes, Pontevedra, March 1, 1105 – La Fresneda, located in Sierra Morena, on the border of the provinces of Jaén and Ciudad Real). Father of Sancho III.
  • Sancho III the Desired, (Toledo, 1134 - Toledo, August 31, 1158).
  • Sancho IV the Brave, (Valladolid, May 12, 1258 – Toledo, April 25, 1295).
In addition to the three previous monarchs, the infant Pedro de Aguilar is buried here. Son of Alfonso XI and Leonor de Guzmán.
Source: Capilla de los Reyes Viejos - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

The Chapel of the New Kings of Toledo is a chapel of the Toledo Cathedral, the second royal chapel built by the kings of Castile in said cathedral.
The following kings are buried in this chapel of the New Kings:
  • Enrique II of Castile (1333-1379), son of Alfonso XI the Just.
  • Juana Manuel (1339-1381), wife of Henry II and daughter of Don Juan Manuel.
  • Juan I of Castile (1358-1390), son of Henry II of Castile.
  • Leonor of Aragon (1358-1382), wife of John I of Castile and daughter of Peter IV of Aragon.
  • Enrique III of Castile (1379-1406), son of John I of Castile.
  • Catherine of Lancaster (1373-1418), wife of Enrique III of Castile and daughter of John of Gaunt.
Source: Capilla de los Reyes Nuevos (Catedral de Toledo) - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Photos:

Royal crypts of the Crown of Aragon:
The monarchs of the Crown of Aragon are spread across various points of its original territory, such as the Cathedral of Barcelona, the Monastery of Sigena, the Monastery of San Pedro el Viejo or the Monastery of Santes Creus. However, the majority of the royalty of Aragon is buried in two monastic centres: San Juan de la Peña and El Poblet.

Royal Pantheon of San Juan de la Peña:
The Royal Pantheon of San Juan de la Peña is a neoclassical chapel located within the building of the Royal Monastery of San Juan de la Peña.
It houses the remains of some Navarrese monarchs who reigned in Aragon, the first Aragonese counts and the three initial kings of the Ramirense dynasty, Ramiro I, Sancho Ramírez, Pedro I, along with their wives.

Photos:

Royal Pantheon of the Poblet Monastery:
The complex became known as the Royal Chapel, a pantheon of kings created on the initiative of Pedro IV the Ceremonious (1319-1387), in an ingenious and original architectural display that came to shelter, above the arcades, six tombs of the kings of the Crown of Aragon accompanied by six of their wives. In addition, outside the arcades are the tombs of two more kings, as well as those of other princes and royal persons.

Monarchs buried in the pantheon:
  • James I (died 1276)
  • Pedro IV the Ceremonious (died 1387) with his three wives: Maria of Navarre, Eleanor of Portugal and Eleanor of Sicily
  • Fernando I of Antequera (1416) and his wife Eleanor of Alburquerque
  • Alfonso II the Chaste (1196)
  • Juan I (1396), with his two wives Martha of Armagnac and Violante de Bar
  • Juan II (1479) and his second wife Joanna Enríquez
Outside the arches, in separate tombs, are the remains of:
  • Martin I the Humane (1410)12
  • Alfonso V the Magnanimous (1458).
Source: Sepulcros reales del monasterio de Poblet - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Photos:

Royal Crypts of the Crown of Navarre:
The list is long and the locations varied: from Leyre to Paris, and from León to Ujué, passing through Nájera, San Juan de la Peña, Roncesvalles and, of course, Pamplona.

Royal Pantheon of the Monastery of Santa Maria de Najera:
The monastery of Santa María la Real is a religious complex located in the city of Nájera, in the autonomous community of La Rioja (Spain). It houses the pantheon of the kings of the kingdom of Nájera-Pamplona, predecessor of the kingdom of Navarre.

In the Royal and Infants pantheon:
  • King Sancho Garcés II "Abarca", son of King García Sánchez I of Pamplona, founder of the kingdom of Nájera. He was king of Nájera-Pamplona between 970 and 994. His son was García Sánchez II of Pamplona the Trembling.
  • Urraca Fernández, wife of Sancho Abarca and daughter of Count Fernán González.
  • King García Sánchez III of Pamplona the one from Nájera, son of Sancho Garcés III of Pamplona the Elder and founder of the monastery. He died in 1054 in the battle of Atapuerca.
  • Queen Estefanía, wife of García of Nájera.
  • Sancho Garcés IV the Noble or the one from Peñalén, son of García of Nájera, was assassinated by his brothers Ramón and Ermesinda in 1076 at the siege of Peñalén (Funes, Navarre), at the age of 36. His death meant the end of the kingdom of Nájera.
  • Placencia of Normandy, wife of Sancho IV.
  • Mayor Garcés, sister of Sancho IV.
  • Jimena Garcés, sister of Sancho IV.
  • Fernando Garcés, brother of Sancho IV.
  • Ramón Garcés, brother of Sancho IV, who collaborated in his death.
  • Ermesinda Garcés, sister of Sancho IV, who collaborated in his death.
  • Urraca Garcés, daughter of King García Sánchez III of Pamplona and Estefanía and wife of García Ordóñez, count of Nájera.
  • Mayor García, daughter of Count García Ordóñez and Urraca.
  • Ramiro Garcés, brother of Sancho IV, who died in the battle of Rueda.
  • Ramón (Raimundo) Sánchez, lord of Esquíroz, illegitimate son of Sancho IV.
  • Sancho VI of Navarre the Wise, also called the Brave, son of García Ramírez of Pamplona and father of Sancho VII of Navarre the Strong. He ruled from 1151 and died in 1194.
  • Sancha of Castile, daughter of Alfonso VII of León and wife of Sancho IV of Navarre.
  • Blanca Garcés of Pamplona, daughter of García Ramírez, married King Sancho III of Castile the Desired in 1151. Their son was Alfonso VIII of Castile. He died in 1156. It has two funerary monuments: on the one hand, a Romanesque tomb, of great importance, and on the other his tomb next to the rest of the pantheon.
  • Sancha Garcés, daughter of King García Ramírez and wife of Gastón V de Béarn.
  • Bermudo III of León, protected by Sancho the Great so that he would govern León after his father's death. He died in the battle of Tamarón in 1037. Although he has a tomb in the monastery, he seems to be buried in the Basilica of San Isidoro in León.
  • Toda López de Haro, awarded the monastery the property of Santa María de Estíbaliz.
In the chapel of the Vera Cruz, built by order of Mencía López de Haro:
  • Mencía López de Haro, daughter of Lope Díaz II de Haro, queen of Portugal.
  • Lope Díaz de Haro, son of Lope Díaz II de Haro by an unknown mother, was bishop of Siguenza.
  • Diego López de Salcedo, illegitimate son of Lope Díaz II de Haro, married to María Álvarez, daughter of Álvaro Fernández Potesta.
  • García Manrique de Lara, 16th century.
  • Garcilaso de la Vega, from the beginning of the 13th century.
  • Toda López, daughter of the seventh lord of Biscay.
  • Lope Íñiguez, called the Blonde, and his wife Ticla Díaz.
In the cloister:
  • Diego López II de Haro the Good, with his recumbent figure from the 13th century.
  • Toda Pérez de Azagra, second wife of Diego López II de Haro.
  • Lope Díaz II de Haro, son of Diego López II de Haro.
  • Diego López III de Haro, son of Lope Díaz II de Haro.
  • Sancho López de Haro, son of Lope Díaz II de Haro.
  • Alfonso López de Haro, son of Lope Díaz II de Haro, lord of the Cameros through his marriage to María Álvarez, daughter of Álvar Díaz de los Cameros.
  • Berenguela López de Haro, daughter of Lope Díaz II de Haro.
Source: Monasterio de Santa María la Real (Nájera) - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Photos:

Pantheon of the Kings of Navarre of the Monastery of Leyre:
The monastery of San Salvador de Leyre or Leire is one of the most important monastic complexes in Spain due to its historical and architectural significance.

Monarchs buried in this pantheon:
  • Iñigo Arista
  • García Íñiguez
  • Fortún Garcés

Photos:

Cathedral of Santa Maria de Pamplona:
The Pamplona Cathedral also has a royal crypt where some Navarrese monarchs, such as Charles III, are buried.
In this crypt, beneath the tomb of Charles III, the remains of various monarchs of the Kingdom of Navarre, as well as their consorts and princes, are preserved.

Photos:

Royal Chapel of Granada:
The Royal Chapel of Granada is a Catholic temple, located in the center of the city of Granada, Spain.

In the Royal Chapel you can see the tombs of:
  • Isabel I of Castile, Queen of Castile, and her husband:
  • Fernando II of Aragon, King of Aragon.
In another tomb, the work of Bartolomé Ordóñez, are represented:
  • Juana I of Castile, Queen of Castile and Aragon, and her husband:
  • Philip I of Castile, the Handsome, King jure uxoris of Castile; his heart is buried in the Church of Our Lady of Bruges.

Photos:

Others:
Kings Felipe V and Fernando VI and their wives chose the Royal Palace of La Granja de San Ildefonso and the Convent of the Salesas Reales in Madrid, respectively, as their burial place.

Tomb of Felipe V and Isabel Farnesio:

Mausoleum of King Fernando VI:

Palma de Mallorca Cathedral:
It was built as a family pantheon for the exclusive dynasty of Mallorca, and since 1947 it has housed the cenotaphs of Jaime II and Jaime III of Mallorca, made by the sculptor Frederic Marès i Deulovol.

King Jaime II tomb:
King Jaime III tomb

The tomb of King Sancho I of Mallorca in Perpignan Cathedral (France).

Several of the later and last Monarchs of Navarre are buried in France and in England!
Blanche de Artois ,widow if Henry I and mother and Regent for Jeanne I of Navarre was buried at the now lost Holy Trinity church at the Abbey of the Minoresses of St. Clare without Aldgate in London.

Her daughter Jeanne I was buried at the now destroyed l'Église des Cordeliers de Paris.

Back
Top Bottom