Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I admire the Norwegians, so many of them wear their bunad on the National Day, at the confirmations and family celebrations.
For instance, a huge sports star in Norway, the Olympic and World Champion in cross country skiing, Johannes Høsflot Klæbo, wears every year bunad on the National Day and publishes photos of him and his girlfriend.
In 2019
In 2020
In 2021

It's the first time I see Haakon in Sverre Magnus!

That's a beautiful family.

English version of the Royal House press release:

Happy Constitution Day! - The Royal House of Norway

After two years without children's parades and many of the other traditions that usually fill the celebration of 17th of May, greeting the children's parade had a special significance this year.

The schools of Høybråten and Slemdal headed the Oslo parade. This great honour traditionally goes to schools celebrating anniversaries, and Høybråten and Slemdal are both 100 years old in 2022.

Just before the first part of the children's parade reached the Palace Square, both the Royal anthem and the National anthem of Norway sounded - and then the children entered into the square. A record breaking 130 schools attended this year.

[...]

Tradition

It was King Haakon and Queen Maud who introduced the custom of greeting the children’s parade from the Palace Balcony in 1906. The custom has been upheld ever since. The only exceptions were in 1910, when the Royal Family was in England for the funeral of Queen Maud’s father, King Edward VII, during World War II from 1940 to 1944, and during the corona pandemic from 2020-2021.

I wish Prince Sverre Magnus would have worn a bunad as well.

This year:

17 May 2023: Children's parade in Asker and Oslo
The Crown Prince's family greets the children's parade in Asker from the stairs at Skaugum from 08.15. True to tradition, the Royal Family greets the children's parade in Oslo from the Castle Balcony from 10.30am.

Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra is this year a graduating student at Elvebakken upper secondary school and is celebrating graduation time with her peers. The princess therefore has no official program this day.

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=219015&sek=112472

The Palace announced today, May 16, that following his latest infection and hospital stay, it's been decided that King Harald can attend the National Day celebration tomorrow, that is he will appear on the Palace balcony as usual:

** kongehuset: Hans Majestet Kongen friskmeldt til 17. mai **

His Majesty King Harald has been declared healthy from 17 May and will be present on the Palace Balcony to greet the children's train.

Always great to see bunad :bang:

SM is so tall now, even taller than Haakon! I always think he mainly resembles Olav but I also see Harald now.

Where is Ingrid-Alexandra?

You might read the reply from fellow poster in this page ?

The King looks pleased to be able to share this day with the public. Could anyone explain the significance of the ribbons worn by the royal family?

Yay, Harald! ❤️

It looks like it was cold today.

Thanks! So it is simply a traditional way to deck oneself out for National Day for those who do not want to go as far as wearing a bunad.

Still I was expecting her to attend in her red graduation outfit together with her classmates in the parade...!:ermm:

Perhaps they are too busy partying. ;)

An American tourist was arrested for flying a drone over the Royal Palace on National Day.

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2023/05/17/police-seized-drone-over-royal-palace/

Perhaps they are too busy partying. ;)

Remove the "perhaps" and I think you've got it. :cool: The Palace's statement of "Ingrid Alexandra is graduating and with her classmates" is a very polite way of saying the same thing.

She'll be back next year. And Sverre Magnus will be absent with his classmates when he graduates, not that he is as excitedly followed as his sister.

Constitution Day​

Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, and Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra greet the children's parade in Asker outside Skaugum estate (08:15).

Constitution Day​

Their Majesties The King and Queen, Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, and Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra greet the children's parade in Oslo from the palace balcony (10:30)

Prince Sverre Magnus is graduating and like his sister last year he is celebrating/partying with his classmates and not listed attending, though nothing has been said about it like it was last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The celebrations have started at Skaugum this morning and for the balcony appearance in Oslo later today, Princess Ingrid Alexandra appeared in uniform:

** gettyimages gallery ** parismatch gallery ** dailymail article **

** ppe gallery ** rex gallery ** anp gallery ** tt.se gallery ** gtresnews gallery **

As expected, Magnus is not participating as he is in his 'Russ' period.

What a treat to see Ingrid-Alexandra in uniform. I wasn't expecting that since Harald and Haakon are not usually in uniform. She looks great! With Alexandra on her name tag.

Back
Top Bottom