The death and Funeral of Don Juan Gómez-Acebo, Viscount of La Torre

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
Don Juan Filiberto Nicolás Gómez-Acebo y Borbón, Grandee of Spain and Viscount of La Torre, cousin of King Felipe VI, dies at the age of 54.

211px-Luis_G%C3%B3mez-Acebo%2C_Viscount_de_la_Torre_and_Duque_Consort_of_Badajoz.svg.png

Juan Gómez-Acebo, son of Infanta Pilar, has died of cancer at the age of 54. He passed away in Palma de Mallorca, surrounded by his family. The funeral will take place on Thursday in Madrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deepest condolences to the family, it must be incredibly hard to lose two brothers so close in time.

And of course the deepest condolences to little Nicolas that is now fatherless, like his homonym and cousin.

It's sad to say but I'm glad Juan and Fernando's parents did not survived their children

Is Nicolas in line to inherit his father's title in spite of being born before his parents' marriage?

On Thursday, the day of Juan Goméz-Acebo's funeral, King Felipe VI will travel to the Dominican Republic, to attend the inauguration of President Luis Abinader.
I hope the King will be able to attend his cousin's funeral in Madrid.

Is Nicolas in line to inherit his father's title in spite of being born before his parents' marriage?

For Spanish nobiliary titles, the consequences of the circumstances of birth depend on the terms of the particular title's creation. My (quite limited) understanding is that there are titles which even children whose parents have never wed are allowed to inherit and, at the other extreme, titles restricted to children who were born in wedlock, but that the most common arrangement is that titles are inheritable by children who were born legitimate or legitimated by a subsequent marriage but not by children whose parents have never married.

Are Nicolás and/or his mother still living in the United States? (I apologize if that is answered in the articles, which I haven't yet had time to read.) If so I wonder if she/they might choose to let the title pass to a Spanish family branch for the time being. I am not sure how much cachet a Spanish title would bring in the United States, where most seem to be only familiar with British royalty/nobility.

For Spanish nobiliary titles, the consequences of the circumstances of birth depend on the terms of the particular title's creation. My (quite limited) understanding is that there are titles which even children whose parents have never wed are allowed to inherit and, at the other extreme, titles restricted to children who were born in wedlock, but that the most common arrangement is that titles are inheritable by children who were born legitimate or legitimated by a subsequent marriage but not by children whose parents have never married.
Interesting. It makes me wonder if the revival of the original 17th century title by Franco made any special updates regarding succession or if the old rules are still applicable.
Do the monarch have sole jurisdiction when looking over an application of the inheritance of a title or is he advised by a council looking into the specifics of every title?

Interesting. It makes me wonder if the revival of the original 17th century title by Franco made any special updates regarding succession or if the old rules are still applicable.

The actual letters of succession to nobiliary titles are, to the best of my knowledge, not published (please correct me if they in fact are); however, the notice in the state gazette of the rehabilitation of the viscountcy of La Torre in 1967 in favor of Juan's late father stated that it was being rehabilitated for "si, sus hijos y sucesores legítimos".

Do the monarch have sole jurisdiction when looking over an application of the inheritance of a title or is he advised by a council looking into the specifics of every title?

Applications to succeed to nobiliary titles are handled by the Ministry of Justice, which consults with the Permanent Deputation of the Grandeeship of Spain and the Commission of the Council of State before issuing a decision. The decisions of the Ministry are subject to judicial review, so a potential heir may file a lawsuit to contest an unfavorable decision.

Last edited:
Only one of the five Children of the late Infanta Pilar was not divorced .

Juan was divorced, the brother who has never been divorced is Bruno, married to Bárbara Cano.

The cremation will take place today in Sóller (Mallorca) and then the ashes will be taken to Madrid where they will be placed in the Gómez Acebo pantheon in the San Isidro cemetery. A small, intimate funeral is expected to take place at the cemetery on Wednesday or Thursday.

Since it's August and many people are on vacation, they will probably do the same thing they did when Fernando died and in a few weeks they will organize a more solemn funeral with the whole family.

Yes there is a pretty high divorce rate among her children. The late Fernando was even divorced twice

Juan Gómez Acebo's funeral will be held on September 8 in Madrid at the military cathedral, after which his ashes will be placed in the family pantheon at the San Isidro cemetery.

According to Hola, King Juan Carlos will travel to Spain to attend.

Not sure how close they were in reality but I'd expect to see Juan Carlos at his nephews funeral out of respect.

More photos:

Media is speculating about the absence of Letizia at the funeral and even more so about the absence of the Emeritus Kings, even though JC has arrived in Spain a few days ago.

I think they have completely lost their status as press... they are a bunch of useless and ignorant people who don't know how to do their job. That a press agency and digital media that are supposed to be serious publish that this is the funeral and that these photographs have been taken in the military cathedral it is totally unprofessional. They are not even able to place the photos in the place where they were taken.

In the morning, the family and closest friends went to the San Isidro cemetery to deposit the ashes in the family pantheon. It is the same thing they did after Fernando's death a few months ago, same way of acting, same cemetery, and as then King Felipe attended alone and representing the family, neither Queen Letizia nor Juan Carlos and Sofia attended.

The funeral mass is this afternoon at the Military Cathedral of Madrid and the whole family will attend.

Strangely enough, Vanitiatis is only one example, lots of other digital media outlets give the same message.

A press agency wrote a note full of errors, and the rest of the websites copied it without doing the slightest check... and from there they started writing outrageous headlines to generate visits.

Funeral Mass at the Cathedral of the Armed Forces.
Infanta Elena did not attend because she was at the closing ceremony of the Paralympic Games.

Last edited:
King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and other members of the Royal Family also arrived for Mass:

Last edited:
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia came separately et left separately ....Together only in the Church.

Back
Top Bottom